[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is taking She-Hulk and removing everything that made her unique

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

File: Hulk_Vol_4_2_Torque_Variant.jpg (738KB, 2000x3036px) Image search: [Google]
Hulk_Vol_4_2_Torque_Variant.jpg
738KB, 2000x3036px
Is taking She-Hulk and removing everything that made her unique and sticking her in a grim story about being fucked up (like her dead cousin) a regressive move or does it pave new ground for the character?

I mean on one hand, it is something new for her... Not new for the medium, and sure as hell not new for the genre of superheroes, or even superheroes with the word "Hulk" on the cover, but it's new for her. Technically.

Meanwhile you have all these other characters like Hellcat and Ms. Marvel and Squirrel Girl enjoying the light-hearted semi-comedic adventures that Jen built her brand on.

So what's up with that!?
>>
>>92994173
honestly m8 not to be insulting but it sounds as if the story is just to deep for you.. this book is how like ive always wanted batman but instead he is just a normal rich guy who takes naps and doesnt work
>>
I haven't been keeping up with the ongoing, but as long as it has decent writing and the character of Jen isn't shat on, there's no problems

Every grim character has lighthearted shit sometimes. There's no reason a lighthearted character can't go grim once in a while. As long as it's not just the writer trying to feed of controversy and "shock" deaths and shit.

If it's a good story, celebrate it. Marvel has been a fucking garbage fire lately and we need every good thing we can get.
>>
>>92994173
They just made PMS her superpower.

I think there is something inherently broken in that NOBODY in Marvel editorial brought this point up.
>>
>>92994395
NOBODY in Marvel editorial brought it up because NOBODY is an editor there
>>
>>92994173
I thought it was about Jennifer transforming into a man.
>>
>>92994235
This.

I think it intrinsically goes against the point of She-Hulk but if there's in-story reasons for it, it's fine.
>>
>>92994173
Some other anon put it better, but the story isn't constructed good either. The villain is supposed to be a parallel to Jen, but her motivations are never fleshed out beyond generic shit like muh darkness or muh fear. Jen isn't Jen she's basically an OC who old fans don't recognize. She is never Shehulk in the series besides the last issue wiry awful, awful art. Her supporting cast is the usual Marvel quirky lesbian who introduces herself by saying she is a lesbian and she eats muffs. Pacing is crap, but I stopped reading 2 issues ago.
>>
>>92994173
I haven't been keeping up, but from what I saw it's distinct from Banner-Hulk in that the fact that she used to be "the fun happy one" is the central conceit of the story.
>>
Even prior to this Hulk run Jen's gotten angry and hulked out uncontrollably like Bruce has before, they've just taken that element and expanded upon it in a full length run.

It's not as if it's simply redundantly retreading ground Bruce and classic Hulk has already covered either. Jen normally having full control of herself as She Hulk and wanting to be her and suddenly having to voluntarily restrict herself from being like that adds a new dimension that wasn't present with the classic Hulk stuff.
>>
>>92994204
Jesus christ, Mariko, fuck off, nobody likes your shitty Shulk. She exists to make fun of cheesecake by being cheesecake and sometimes go savage.

This fucking book was terrible. The writing was terrible. The art was terrible. How it handled mental illness (PTSD) is absolutely fucking basic and even flawed and yet there are five or six shills on here that seem to think it's a landmark.

Literally EVERY other person hated this shit.

And if this is how you want Batman to be and can't seem to find one of those stories you DO NOT READ CAPE COMICS.
>>
>>92994235
>There's no reason a lighthearted character can't go grim once in a while.
That happened with Speedball/Penance
>>
>>92994173
Is this book still going? Nobody ever talks about it.
>>
>>92994173
i have been out of the loop for a while, is she-hulk going joe fixit?
>>
>>92994523
That was bad because it was done poorly, not because of the concept.
>>
>>92994523
And even Penance was still not too bad when he was written well. I still chuckle at P-Cat
>>
>>92994510
Anon, try actually reading the posts you're replying to instead of just looking for excuses to TALK IN CAPS. He was clearly making a joke about the lack of actual hulking out in the issue.
>>
>>92995051
No he wasn't. Faggot.
>>
>>92994529
Because nothing really happens in it, it took six issues for Jen to hulk out and even then it was only for a few pages where she fought some nondescript blob monster. The premise is interesting but the execution is lacking.
>>
File: RCO011_1496237673.jpg (2MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
RCO011_1496237673.jpg
2MB, 1988x3056px
>>92994173
I just hate Jen's new Hulk form. It's so ugly compared to the first peek we saw in Civil War II and the covers
>>
>>92994173
It does nothing for the character and honestly its a bad book in every sense
>could have gotten to this point in half the time
>you could place any lawyer that suffered something traumatic and nothing would have changed
>Books so bland they had to rely on making covers that have had nothing to do with the book to sell it
>incredibly shit description of ptsd, its almost insulting
>that lackluster shulk reveal especially after CW2 & the covers
>insisting on using it as a "Hulk" book instead of a "She-Hulk" book
Its just garbage and the only interesting part of it were the covers
>>92994395
>Marvel editorial
You realize there is no marvel editorial right? Its just a handful of figureheads that okay anything their friends make
>>
>>92994442
The fact that they made this hulk form look like a bull dyke feminist, I can see how you could think that.
>>
In one hand, the idea of a rampaging, roided Shulk gives me a colossal boner.
In the other, this shit feels like a PTSD PSA that has gone for too long without nothing interesting happened.

The weird hunched girl with black eyes is a qt, tho.
>>
>>92994173
my problem was that she feared so much of turning grey and losing control but when she did she was in control of herself. I wanted her to REEE and smash everything
>>
>>92994173
What do the sales of this book look like anyway?
>>
File: shehulk_byrne.jpg (859KB, 994x1250px) Image search: [Google]
shehulk_byrne.jpg
859KB, 994x1250px
Marvel needs to bring this version of She-hulk back.
>>
everything about this book is terrible.
>>
>>92994204
>but it sounds as if the story is just to boring for you...and everyone else

FTFY
>>
>>92994235
>I haven't been keeping up with the ongoing, but as long as it has decent writing and the character of Jen isn't shat on, there's no problems
The book isn't bad .
It just came out at the wrong time on the "wrong" character: everybody reads Jen for her fun adventures, having her in "darker" stories is just... "not what I care about".

The ratio for her being in said state doesn't help, but that's Bendis' fault not the writer who is doing a good enough job IMHO.
>>
File: Red_She-Hulk_(Heroic).jpg (314KB, 900x1362px) Image search: [Google]
Red_She-Hulk_(Heroic).jpg
314KB, 900x1362px
>>92998263
Marvel needs to bring this version of She-hulk back.
>>
>>92995547
I actually like it. It's very rare in fiction for monsterous women to truly look monstrous, most of the time they're still in that same generically pretty mold as every other woman.
>>
>>93000250
WARNING WARNING SJW SJW
>>
>>92994173
>she-hulk being quirky girl book #37 and not having heavy fanservice
What we got is much better than whatever would have been if they tried to make it the old with today's rules.
>>
It was more entertaining than Bruce Banner hulk stories
>>
>>93001569
Explain how
>>
>>92994173
It's stupid.
>>
>>92998984
Ya know I don't get that marvel doesn't get that especially when it feels like they have no problem writing fun she-hulk style books for other characters like Gwenpool or some shit. As long as Funtime Jen comes back it's fine I guess but this whole PTSA I'm a monster bullshit is dildos and makes me sad
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.