[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I still remember the reaction when this came out. What do

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 14

File: amazons.jpg (58KB, 327x499px) Image search: [Google]
amazons.jpg
58KB, 327x499px
I still remember the reaction when this came out. What do you think of it now?
>>
I think it's a good thing it's not in continuity anymore.

Probably the absolute worst moment in Wonder Woman history.
>>
>>92967123
It's an abominable piece of garbage that caused long lasting damage to the series, and it belongs in a dumpster fire. Absolutely nothing about the story makes any sense, the initial premise is broken on a fundamental level, and the plot relies on all the characters acting idiotic and out of character. This is one of the classically infamous bad comics alongside works such as Cry for Justice and Avengers Disassembled, and for damn good reason. It's like the Metroid: Other M of the Wonder Woman franchise, and is best used as an example of how not to write a story.
>>
>>92967245
>It's an abominable piece of garbage that caused long lasting damage to the series
Agreed It killed the chance of wondy ever getting a solo event.
>>
>>92967245
would you be allowed to say this tho?
>>
>>92967387
"Allowed"? What?
>>
>>92967123
>amazons killing innocent people
>everyone jobbing to the amazons
>suddenly granny goodness
>a bee weapon

Pretty shit.
>>
>>92967317
And that's perhaps the worst part. Despite being one of the Trinity, DC has never really given that much of a shit about Diana because she doesn't bring in Batman money. Which, to be fair, that applies to everyone, really.

But still, she's only had two events. The first was War of the Gods, which was fine, but suffered from being overambitious and too densely crowded. And the second was the infamous Amazons Attack, which suffered from being a total piece of shit. And since Diana is not Batman, the execs figure doing another event with her would be a waste of resources.

Sadly, despite the success of the WW film, it's doubtful that this will change.

>>92967387
Who the fuck is gonna stop me?
>>
I didn't read it, what made it so bad?
>>
>>92967529
Everyone acts completely out of character (Amazons mercilessly slaughtering innocent bystanders and committing constant war crimes for no good reason at all), fucking Batman telling heroes to kill

Everyone is also retarded. Hippolyta is being mind controlled to start this war, and Diana's lasso has the power to dispel mind control, but for some reason she forgets about it. Superman rushes in and has the opportunity to grab Hippolyta and instantly end the whole war but instead grabs Diana for no reason

Completely stupid plot twist where it turns out Circe isn't behind it all, Athena is, but Athena was secretly Granny Goodness and did it all to tie into Countdown

It's a perfect storm of godawful writing and completely failing to understand anything about Wonder Woman's mythos
>>
File: 1481736641348.png (201KB, 266x400px) Image search: [Google]
1481736641348.png
201KB, 266x400px
>>92967529
Honestly? Just about everything. It doesn't really have anything redeeming about it.

Well, it did give us
>Bees. My God.
>>
File: 1184530636350.jpg (59KB, 242x300px) Image search: [Google]
1184530636350.jpg
59KB, 242x300px
>>92967609
Releasing a swarm of pissed-off regular-sized bees would have been more of a threat

Their stings would be more deadly too,
>>
>>92967609
I remember hearing jokes about this back when it came out, and then years later when I actually read it I was shocked that that was an ACTUAL line in the book and not just a joke.
>>
>>92967123
Shit fest with bees
>>
What were the amazons at that point in time?

Were they super strong like Diana or were they just normal women with swords and spears and a side of raygun technology so advanced it was magic?

Didn't they do the whole thing with amazons invading the civilized world TWICE? As in two separate events along these lines.
There was that british superhero woman in the armor that fought them all.
>>
>>92968064
They've always been roughly "peak human" level.
>>
>>92968115
So a little island of old-fashioned greek bitches vs the US Military + the multitude of American Superheroes (so basically all of them)?
>>
>>92968064
>There was that british superhero woman in the armor that fought them all.
That was Flashpoint, in which all the stupidity of Amazons Attack was multiplied.
Someone at DC editorial in that era really, really wanted the Amazons to be a bunch of irredeemable psychotic child murdering cunts.

>>92968152
Yeah, at one point they take down jet fighters by throwing spears at them. Not magic spears, just regular spears. Then they murder the bailed-out (female) pilot because of reasons.
>>
What was so bad about it exactly? The most memorable moment for me was Wondie being BTFO by the pilot.
>>
>>92967864
Bees. My god.
>>
>>92968195
see
>>92967589
>>
Besides the things mentioned already, pic related?
Remember, we're supposed to view the Amazons as noble but misguided.
>>
>>92968152
Well, there were something like 1,500 Themysciran Amazons, and an indeterminate amount of Bana-Mighdallan Amazons, and they had a legion of mythological monsters from Skartaris that were doing most of the work, along with like trebuchets and catapults.

Also the Purple Death Ray, the Stygian Killer Hornets, and Amazon steel is pretty strong, somehow.

Still makes no sense of course, which is why they had to have all the heroes and military act retarded to make it work.
>>
>>92968201
>>92967864
>>92967609
>>92967652
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVCrmXW6-Pk
>>
File: Britannia.jpg (1MB, 800x1204px) Image search: [Google]
Britannia.jpg
1MB, 800x1204px
>>92968184
So why did the Amazons Attack in Flashpoint?
>>
I never liked them being at Bronze Age tech levels. Like, the whole point of them keeping their warriors ways is that they're all about peace and love, but they're prepared for war if they need to defend themselves.

Especially now that they've re-entered the world at large, it should follow that they'd build up their arsenal with modern equipment.

But hey, you could make a whole storyline out of that, and it might lead to interesting political drama. But nah, better to suck off the Olympians and their inbred hillbilly shenanigans for the quadrillionth time.
>>
>>92968326
Flashpoint was a BAD END timeline altogether, so the Amazons were murdercunts who were trying to take over the world.
>>
>>92968326
It was a war between Atlantis and the Amazons that came to the surface world. After Atlantis destroyed Paradise Island and flooded most of Europe, the Amazons took over England and raised it up using Terra and Geo-Force's powers.
>>
>>92968326
Wonder Woman was salty about Aquaman not slipping her his fish stick and then Atlantean politics and Orm and Artemis colluding and betrayal and blah blah blah it was all very boring and frankly Britannia and the Canterbury Cricket were the only good things to come out of that whole story arc and they were never used again.
I should point out that the Amazons castrated the entire surviving male population of the British Isles and enslaved the surviving female population. Flashpoint Wondy was a fucking monster on par with any of the Arkham alumni, even before she killed Billy Batson and Alfred Pennyworth. She deserved far worse than getting slapped around by Wally and Fastback in Convergence.
>>
>>92968385
>>92968402
>>92968411
THE EDGE. IT BLEEDS.

Seriously, someone in the higher ups has an issue with the Amazons, and it's a might creepy.
>>
>>92968411
>>92968532
>Warrior culture
>Nice
Oh sure the amazons can be all loving and shit but in order to know love you need to know hate.

And again warrior culture
>>
>>92968705
That's the entire point of their origin.

They failed to spread the peaceful message they were created for and took vengeance upon Heracles and his men, so the gods put them on their isolated island to learn a thing or two about peace.
>>
>>92968775
Wait that's their origin? I thought they got enslaved, raped, escaped and then got an island to hide on. Besides I'd you want someone to learn the errors of their ways then don't send them to a place called paradise island
>>
>>92968705
>warriors=evil marauders
You're an idiot. The Amazons have seen war, and concluded that it fucking sucks, so they adopted a philosophy of peace, love, and understanding. But at the same time, they're not fucking stupid, so they keep their skills sharp in case some assholes ever show up wanting to start shit.

Seriously, are you one of those anti-military people who naively think that the world can just agree to disband its armies and peace will magically happen? You can absolutely be in favor of good vibes and such, but still carry a piece for self-defense.
>>
>>92968882
Hippolyta asked Athena to break one single link in her chain while she was enslaved, and Athena did it with the caveat that they had to escape and not take vengeance upon Heracles' men.

They then proceeded to kill them all anyway. The Amazons that wanted to repent went with Hippolyta and the gods made Themyscira for them to live out their days on. The Amazons that weren't sorry for killing the men went with Hippolyta's sister Antiope and lost their immortality as a result because they shunned their patron gods.

The whole thing about being on Themyscira is so they can learn that peace and love is the way. I wouldn't call it punishment per se but it's because they failed their gods-given mission.
>>
>>92969063
The greek gods are cunts anyway, no moral person can follow them
>>
File: fil2.jpg (8KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
fil2.jpg
8KB, 225x225px
>>92967123
I never understood why DC America was so woefully incapable of doing a single damn thing about an amazon army that only had swords and spears.

Not to mention the few hundred superpowered beings that live there also not being able to do shit about them. Shouldn't Captain Atom or Major Force just sweep through them without much trouble?

Why was everyone and everything made to be so fucking useless for the sake of this story?
>>
>>92968064
In the story they were tossing cars around, so high Bane level in strength maybe?

And apparently nothing ever breaks their armor no matter what so bullets were apparently useless.
>>
>>92968775
>the gods put them on their isolated island to learn a thing or two about peace.

Which never made much sense, since it's like putting nazis and only the nazis into an island to make them learn to accept the Jews

But I suppose there are just so many ways to put them on an island separated from the world while keeping them mostly good and pure, and that was one of the best ones
>>
>>92969219
They don't exactly wear much armour tho
>>
>>92969232
>Which never made much sense, since it's like putting nazis and only the nazis into an island to make them learn to accept the Jews

While also giving them immortality and superpowers.

They are obviously not going to learn a single fucking thing
>>
Of al the shit that still continues to not make any sense, is how they can just decide to stop killing everyone and walk away. No retribution for murdering the shit out of DC, they are not looked upon as bad or having done any wrong in the eyes of any superhero or government. Just,
"okay guys. we're done killing every random person around, let's go home!"
And that was it.

Not even gaining Batman's total mistrust with plotting and preparing for it to happen again. Every other hero was totally fine with the whole thing.
>>
>>92969298
>Greek Gods
>Not being dumb assholes who make everything worse
>>
>>92968369
I thought they did have advanced tech like the purple beam which pretty much nukes anything in its way.

And don't they usually stick to the simple tech in part because all of them are just a little below WW in power/abilities?
>>
>>92967387
???

If you're insinuated nobody can criticize because it's a female led event, some of the people who criticize it the most are the ones who want more female led events
>>
Didn't amazons also invade in Flashpoint?
>>
>>92969061
>Seriously, are you one of those anti-military people who naively think that the world can just agree to disband its armies and peace will magically happen?
Of course not, and all I'm saying is that the amazons will not fuck around when things comes to show Rucka.
>>92969063
>The whole thing about being on Themyscira is so they can learn that peace and love is the way.
And you don't do that by sending them to an isolated island.
>>
>>92969350
Most Amazons are shit compared to Wonder Woman, even her own mother is weaker than her.
>>
File: 2d5a258af88c349ccd851738bf026f2b.jpg (296KB, 1280x1959px) Image search: [Google]
2d5a258af88c349ccd851738bf026f2b.jpg
296KB, 1280x1959px
>>92968532
>THE EDGE. IT BLEEDS.
That's not even that EDGY in this universe that's just normal.

Making Plastic Man into a wanton killer, now that is edgy
>>
So are the Amazons turning into Marvel Atlanteans, in that they invade every few years fo no apparent reason but are still considered to be heroes after the event is over?
>>
>>92969370
On the island they're FORCED to experience complete peace and love for each other, so they naturally learn that it's great.
>>
>>92969385
That shit looks pretty gay.
>>
>>92968231
Why do they kill the men when they can rape and enslave them?
>>
>>92969394
But they won't be able to feel anything else
>>
>>92969367
They did

And D.C. brought Grifter back only to die
>>
>>92969427
And then they brought him back again for the new 52

Although he has been MIA after his solo and when he was seen in that Superman annual.
>>
>>92969394
Or they could learn that they are pretty great, while all the other humans are shit that deserve to die
>>
>>92969388
Its a bit depressing that nations run by villeins have better peace relations than the hero ran ones.

>>92969373
So does this any time she was training with them in her teens that she was essentially slapping around toddlers?
>>
>>92969160
I'm surprised that after being rescued by Superman, the President didn't go to Blackgate, Belle Reve, or any of the other super-prisons and send in pressganged villains to fight the Amazons. I know this was made well before the Suicide Squad's resurgence into the forefront, but one would think Waller would have at least have a cameo saying "The Squad is trying to hold the line at XYZ"
>>
>>92969412
Because, again, THE BLEEDING EDGE.

I honestly don't understand why this keeps happening. Doesn't anyone actually like seeing Wonder Woman's home nation being depicted as evil assholes? It's like if Alfred Pennyworth were a child molester, or the Kents being depicted as murderous fundie hicks. Not only is that try hard bullshit, it also makes no sense for those respective heroes. The Trinity were raised on strong morals of peace and hope for a better tomorrow, and that's why they help people, because they were taught that helping people is the right thing to do.
>>
>>92969538
No, because she was learning technique, not strength.

In current continuity she doesn't get her powers until after she leaves for man's world.
>>
>>92969597
It makes sense for them to be misandrist xenophobes but them going all gendercidal doesn't really make much sense.
>>
>>92969597
>It's like if Alfred Pennyworth were a child molester, or the Kents being depicted as murderous fundie hicks
To be fair, in those cases they are single people being good, not a whole nation. It's the Kents that are good, not all the people from Smallville
That's not to say that depicting all the Amazons as monsters is good, it definitely isn't, but having all the people of Temischyra being enlightened paragons of piece isn't better, it's just the other side of the medal
>>
>>92969823
That's the thing, they've never been perfect flawless paragons. From day one, they've been portrayed as paranoid isolationists, so adding flaws to them is unnecessary.
>>
>>92969388
No, this only happened once, years ago, and isn't canon anymore. Flashpoint is just a goofy what-if.
>>
>>92970574
Well there was the time after the Boot that Amazons were portrayed as predatory murderous rapists
>>
>>92970637
The rape makes sense but murder not so much. Such a waste of a potential slave.
>>
>>92967123
This was the last straw for me caring about DC.

I quit them & never really looked back beyond borrowing a friend's trade or storytimes here.
>>
>>92969823
>having all the people of Temischyra being enlightened paragons of piece isn't better
read ww comics please

for one thing, not all of them are. there have been evil amazons
two, they already had flaws such as being paranoid isolationists and being deeply mistrustful of man's world and technology
>>
>>92970293
>>92970879
I was just answering about the part about Alfred of the Kent being good while the Amazons aren't, calm down
The Amazons can't be almost saintly good as the Kents because a family being good is a thing, a whole nation being inheritely good is another

Also I've read Wonder Woman comics, but the Amazons were very rarely present in the runs I've read, so I wouldn't argue about their characterization anyway, only about the concept
>>
File: SIS.jpg (25KB, 853x353px) Image search: [Google]
SIS.jpg
25KB, 853x353px
Did someone ask for the kents to be a piece of shit?
>>
>>92967609
Was the asterisk for "Please take this seriously!"
>>
>>92970879
>evil Amazons
I miss Alkyone. She and her cronies were cool. Gail didn't cop out either with that JLU shit of her being some bitch from Man's World who went full radfem, The Circle were born and bred Amazons who, complex enough yes, were still the out and out villains.

If the movie causes Wonder Rogues to get a push, The Circle needs to be brought back.
>>
>>92971301
Speaking of Wonder Rogue what is the deal with Cheetah? She's always just some random rich western woman that is a cheetah(wo)man?

If they want her to be a proper nemesis to Wondie why not instead make her a rogue amazon warrior with some sort of mystical were-cheetah transformation that allows her to stand up to Wonder Woman level of physical capability?
Guess you could even make her a minor demi-goddess to explain it too since its not like the god didn't go about fucking everything around them leaving all sorts of semi-divine bastards running around
>>
>>92967123
Reads like your average Marvel NOWER trade.
>>
Depressing read. Pete Woods is so good but the story is nonsensical. Such a waste of a good artist.
>>
File: Pussy gonna get some.jpg (107KB, 620x977px) Image search: [Google]
Pussy gonna get some.jpg
107KB, 620x977px
>>92971463
She's some British Archeologist that became the living avatar for some ancient god. She also tried to bang the flash one time.
>>
>>92967589
>Completely stupid plot twist where it turns out Circe isn't behind it all, Athena is, but Athena was secretly Granny Goodness and did it all to tie into Countdown

oh god, I forgot this shit
>>
>>92971563
Was this Identity Crisis?
>>
>>92971463
You have basically already said what she is
She's the wife of a god that got cursed by him because she wasn't vergin when she married him. She is now nonetheless basically a demigoddess who, among other things, is fast enough to react to the Flash
Than it was recently retconned into actually being the jailer of the god
>>
>>92971563
Flash is such a jobber.

Guess this is still less bullshit than Deathstroke slooooooowly putting his sword behind his back and a Flash running into it like a retard.
>>
>>92971645
She is blessed by a god.
>>
>>92971612
I think it was around the same time but no it was from a normal Flash and Wonder Woman crossover. Zoom was there too though and might have helped Cheetah gain an advantage. I haven't read it in a while.
>>
>>92971463
Here's the thing, if you pay attention, Cheetah isn't Diana's archenemy. It doesn't make sense for her to be. Who does fit the role in terms of threat, personal conflict, and theme, is Circe.

Circe is a sadistic spellcaster who believes that people are inherently evil, and likes to dick with them due to having embraced this inner monstrosity. She's basically Diana's polar opposite, and this is played up pretty much every time she shows up. Even her back story involves having some kind of beef with the Amazons, and Wondy in particular because Diana's whole mission of peace shtick is an affront to her own beliefs. Hell, there's a contrast even in speech and body language.

Simply put, Cheetah as Wondy's arch is a huge misconception caused by the relentless stain of Superfriends. Wonder Woman's real nemesis is the witch from the Odyssey.
>>
>>92971463
She was revamped in Perez's run.

She's an archaeologist who found an ancient tribe in Africa that worshiped a plant god called Urzkartaga.
The plants allow her to use a ritual to transform into a "were-cheetah" that's as fast and strong as Wonder Woman with razor sharp claws.

Later on she gains the ability to transform without the ritual but at the cost of less control over herself when she transforms.

She's got some great stories: Wonder Woman #9, #28-31, WW Special + #63, #118-119, #222, and Rucka's first arc in Rebirth.
>>
>>92971694
Hermes is a God, Flash is still faster
>>
What was it with DC having so many dark and depressing stories back then? Characters being murdered in gruesome ways, everyone's an asshole, everything goes to shit more than usual etc.
>>
>>92971743
That's not unique to DC.

Comicbook writers are hacks.
>>
>>92971696
Zoom taught Cheetah how to run faster or something. Which is why she was capable of metaphorically and literally almost rape the flash.
>>
>>92971743
Identity Crisis poisoned DC thematically and ultimately was the cause of the reboot because it was basically a full decade of nonsense like this. There were good runs still too obviously, but overall it was too much to overcome.
>>
>>92971742
speedforce needs to be nerfed
>>
>>92971786
>Cheetah, how about you rape the Flash?
>>
>>92971849
Not really, it's just people who don't read Flash comics that complain about the specifics.

The Cheetah thing made sense in context. There wasn't any jobbing.
>>
File: cheetah.jpg (100KB, 400x526px) Image search: [Google]
cheetah.jpg
100KB, 400x526px
>>92971860
>Is he married?
>>
>>92971860
>IT WAS ME BARRY!
>I WAS CHEETAH!
>>
>>92971880
IIRC, she severed his spine or broke an important bone beforehand, right?
>>
>>92971907
Aren't Cheetah's like the little bitches of the 'big cat' world?

They are the easiest for man to tame for some reason, and all they have going for them is the ability to run fast since they aren't very physically impressive, but at the same time their lack of stamina hampers their ability to run around for long.
>>
>>92971938
The page itself is posted and she says she fucked up one of his hamstrings.
>>
File: Wonder Woman 214 (01).jpg (608KB, 1280x1998px) Image search: [Google]
Wonder Woman 214 (01).jpg
608KB, 1280x1998px
>>92971938
the throat and the spine earlier in the issue

this cover is fun, good villain ship
>>
File: Wonder Woman 214 (10).jpg (635KB, 1280x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Wonder Woman 214 (10).jpg
635KB, 1280x2000px
>>92972009
>>
>>92971980
And his spine according to >>92972009

That's a pretty neet cover. Super Villains working in tandem to fuck the flash and Diana.
>>
File: Wonder Woman 214 (20).jpg (650KB, 1280x2044px) Image search: [Google]
Wonder Woman 214 (20).jpg
650KB, 1280x2044px
>>92972036
he did get away though
>>
>>92972036
Dat lick.
>>
>>92972068
Disappointing.
>>
>>92967589
Tying into Countdown explains it all. The fuckery of that series screwed up everything it touched, yet we were told it was "52 done right."
>>
>>92969568
The Suicide Squad had a comic about all the captured Amazons being sent to a concentration camp to be raped right?
>>
>>92973452
That was Secret Six. A shame Wondy didn't get tortured but we got to see her get mindfucked.
>>
>>92969385
>>92969401
This was the last time we would see Plastic Man for four years in a comic, and it's been six years since he was regularly featured in one.
Thanks, Warner Bros!
>>
>>92971709
I think Cheetah is only assumed to be that because of tv exposure. She was the female villain for WW to fight half the time.

And 70's Cheetah made no sense at all. Just some random woman in a cat costume that considered herself to be a villain. No powers, even less threatening than Catwoman...
>>
>>92971709
I think Cheetah's character can be reworked to be a bloodthirsty hunter looking to become the world's strongest women by hunting and killing Diana.
>>
>>92973651
FemKraven is already a thing, anon.
>>
>>92973667
who cares
>>
>>92973667
A 3rd rate forgettable thing that has been dead since the 80's
>>
>>92973747
Oh, I was talking about the one in Grim Hunt.
>>
I just read all of amazons attack. (Thanks /co/)

It was retarded. How did Granny Goodness do that at the end, what was she talking to no one like a wise narrator?

What was anything.
Thread posts: 115
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.