[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whats worse for a comedic cartoon? constant on model or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: Ed Edd Eddy.jpg (109KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
Ed Edd Eddy.jpg
109KB, 1000x667px
Whats worse for a comedic cartoon?

constant on model

or constant off model?
>>
>>92965398
Depends on how much off model it can get, a bit doesn't matter, but too much and it's a mess, unless it's a special episode.
>>
>>92965398

that depends on whether or not we're talking about steven universe off model or ren and stimpy off model
>>
>>92965448
Ren and Stimpy off model can be bad too. There's a difference between "never draw the same thing twice" and drawing things with consistency. EEnE has consistency while being lenient towards toon physics in motion and variety in reaction.
>>
>>92965470
it can be, but im less inclined to say itd be worse for a comedic cartoon to be constantly off model if it were something like ren and stimpy, where its obviously intentional and the focus is on the animation itself, than if it were something like steven universe, where you can tell that someone was just shit at directing and didnt care about the quality of the final product OR it was just that severely underfunded and as a result it takes away from any potential gag because youre too distracted by the big headed midget with two facial expressions talking to cousin its angsty blue niece
>>
depends if the comedy is visual or dialogue based
>>
Constant on model, special bonus awful points for noodle arm/beanmouth/generic post-AT artstyle.
>>
File: enhanced-27288-1440691458-1.jpg (45KB, 625x450px) Image search: [Google]
enhanced-27288-1440691458-1.jpg
45KB, 625x450px
>>92965398
I'm mostly averse to shows that are totally on-model, I prefer more variety of drawings when I watch cartoons, but it depends on the kind of show being made. The Simpsons or Hey Arnold plays just fine with on-model animation.

That said, the point of "off model" drawings is to portray specific emotions, they exist in context, not just to draw the characters weird for no reason. I think about the early seasons of Spongebob which would be on model some of the time but then create original expressions when called for and they stand out for that reason. Pic related is just one I happened to have on my hard drive.
>>
>>92965398
off model is usually fine as long as its still drawn well and has thought put into it. there should be a reason for it going off model. in the case of steven universe its pure laziness and is incredibly distracting.
>>
>>92965398
Depends. Constant on model does not work well in shows that rely heavily on visual gags and slapstick. Constant off model can be distracting in shows that rely more on dialogue and story for the humour.
>>
Constant on model can work depending on the kind of humor, although it will probably feel like an animated sitcom. Constant off model detracts from that and detracts from wackier forms of comedy as any exaggeration just feels normal.
>>
>>92966993
what show could you give as an example that used on-model poorly in that it uses too many visual gags and slpastick?
>>
>>92967011
Johnny Test
>>
File: Krusty_Katering_071.png (347KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Krusty_Katering_071.png
347KB, 640x360px
Depends on what the on-model designs look like. Off-model expressions can work with any show, it just depends on what exaggerated face they make with it.

Good example: SpongeBob Season 10
Bad example: nuPPG
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.