[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Looney Tunes spelled "Tunes" instead of "Toons"?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

Why is Looney Tunes spelled "Tunes" instead of "Toons"? Isn't the name supposed to be a play on the word "Cartoons"? Wouldn't it make more sense to spell it "Toons"?
>>
No
Silly SYMPHONIES
Merry MELODIES
Looney TUNES

its music see...
>>
>>92955628
Is it weird that I read this comment in the exact cadence and tone of Foghorn Leghorn.
>>
>>92955628
This.

The earliest Looney Tunes shorts were based around music and the name just stuck.
>>
>>92955628

the name was a parody of merry melodies and silly symphonies
>>
>>92956515
Why do those two use alliteration and Looney Tunes doesn't?
>>
>>92956561

Why do you suck dicks?
>>
>>92955593
Why are we doing this shit again?
>>
File: tinytoon.jpg (87KB, 704x480px) Image search: [Google]
tinytoon.jpg
87KB, 704x480px
>>92955593
Why is the "Toon" in Tiny Toon Adventures spelled "Toon" instead of "Tune"?
>>
>>92955593
No one really said "Toon" until Who Framed Roger Rabbit came out in the late 80s. Up until then it wasn't a widely used term for cartoon.
>>
>>92956591
Geez, man, no need to get pissy. I just thought it might have a neat story behind it.
>>
>>92956714
Because they're toony. It's not about the music.
>>
File: (disgusted sigh).png (246KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
(disgusted sigh).png
246KB, 500x375px
>>92955593
>>
>>92955628
Speaking of the music.

I've been re-watching the golden collection and the old Fleischer Superman shorts recently and it really is amazing how much of a role the music plays in helping to tell the story. Some of the shorts have VERY little dialogue but the music is so masterfully done and woven in that I'd never noticed before.

Was there a main composer for the Looney Tunes?
>>
>>92961311
I think a lot of it was actually taken from WB movies of the time
>>
File: 1480286419757.jpg (153KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1480286419757.jpg
153KB, 700x700px
>>92955593
Jesus
>>
>>92956561
because tunes rhymes with toons
>>
>>92956714
Why do I have the urge to fuck Babs?
>>
>>92955593

Back in the '20s, the Fleischer Brothers had a really successful series of animated shorts called Song Car-Tunes, which were also the origin of the famous Bouncing Ball used for audience sing-alongs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY2xqTjt3LM

Since music and animation was pretty closely linked at the time because of that series, Warner Brothers decided to cash in and promote their music library with the Looney Tunes series.

>>92961311
>Was there a main composer for the Looney Tunes?

That'd be Carl Stalling, who did the score for over 600 animated shorts or roughly one per week for more than two decades,

He had full access to any song in the Warner library, any musicians they had signed, as well as the studio orchestra.
>>
>>92955593
>>>/x/
It's the Mandela effect
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.