[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Disney XD Japan is picking the Nickelodeon TMNT cartoon back

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3

File: tumblr_oq5uhdsUiN1qii7vbo1_1280.png (404KB, 560x800px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oq5uhdsUiN1qii7vbo1_1280.png
404KB, 560x800px
>Disney XD Japan is picking the Nickelodeon TMNT cartoon back up after TV Tokyo cancelled it 2 years ago

Huh. That's weird. Is there a TMNT fanbase in Japan that's big enough to warrant another network reviving a dead series? I guess so...
>>
Let's get this over with.
>XD
>>
>>92928725

Satellite networks are a better place for Japanese dubs of American cartoons than broadcast networks.

At least then it won't be cut for time and given an insipid "corner program" like most American cartoons that wind up on TV Tokyo or TV Aichi.
>>
>>92928725

Sounds like they're just going to air the newer episodes. TMNT 2012 isn't getting revived. Nick already has another turtles show waiting in the wings.
>>
>>92928923

I think OP meant that the dub was being revived, not that Disney XD Japan was funding a 6th season or something.

TMNT 2012 got cancelled in Japan after season 1 back in 2015. According to that add, Disney XD is picking up with season 2, so they're just reviving the dub.
>>
So how was this show in the long run, both narratively and received by fandom?

I know 2003 ended up being a classic outside of Fast Forward and Back to the Sewers and ended on a damn good note in Turtles Forever (although I'm wondering if/feeling that BttS will be on an uptick in time). I AM impressed between this, the movies, and the IDW comics that the '87 toon has seen a serious upswing in influencing modern works though.
>>
>>92929142
>So how was this show in the long run, both narratively and received by fandom?

It's biggest problem is that midway through season 2 they ran out of story and had no idea what direction to take any of the characters. So they show began repeating the same arcs and big moments over and over again.

>April's dad gets kidnapped by the Kraang
>Then mutated into a bat
>Then enslaved by the Kraang

>Karai thinks she's Shredder's daughter
>Then she gets imprisoned by the Shredder
>Then she gets mutated
>Then she gets imprisoned again
>Then she gets brainwashed
>Then she gets emo and runs away

And they do fake outs do Splinter's death twice, which undercuts the big moment in season 4 because we've been there, done that.

And they had a chance to resolve the April/Casey/Donnie love triangle in season 3, but kept it going even though it went nowhere and accomplished nothing.

There's only about 3 seasons-worth of story across the show's 5 seasons. However, when it does do something well, it does it VERY well. And the show has taken surprising risks, including extremely violent deaths and on-screen drunkenness.
>>
>>92929247
That sucks, since I've heard before when it does something right, it does it RIGHT. And although I ultimately prefer more serious TMNT like Mirage, 2003, and IDW it doesn't change at all I REALLY like the '87 toon's atmosphere. I was absolutely happy kids today would get their own cartoon and especially if it proved to be a hit.

But then my ideal TMNT is the Genesis Tournament Fighters: wacky fun stuff given a 'serious/creepy' coat of paint.
>>
>>92928725
Maybe they are trying to sell some toys.
>>
Not a surprise. Japan likes their TMNT goofy (the 4kids show only lasted for two seasons, the 87 show lasted about 7). And this is closer to 87 than 4kids.
>>
>>92929537

The last third of season 4 was fantastic and season 5 so far has been great, so it's at least ending on a high note after spinning it's wheels for a while.
>>
I liked it, toobad shinigami will never be used again and alopex looks like fucking shit
>>
>>92929537
>But then my ideal TMNT is the Genesis Tournament Fighters: wacky fun stuff given a 'serious/creepy' coat of paint.
My nigga. Splinter being attacked and kidnapped by evil versions of his sons in the opening, those neon-on-black backgrounds, that use of the Genesis' shitty sound card to make everybody's "evil" version sound super sinister... I only saw that game played once as a kid, at my cousins', but it left a huge impression on me.
>>
>>92929579
The 87 show was big enough to warrant its own adaption over there.
>>
>>92930897

Two episode OVA series, yeah.

But they still cancelled it after 102 episodes and didn't finish the series.

To date, no TMNT cartoon has ever been dubbed to completion in Japan (the 4Kids series onyl made it to 52 episodes). If Disney XD does the whole thing, the Nick cartoon will be the first and it took a revival after being cancelled to do it.

TMNT isn't wildly popular in Japan, but it seems to get around sporadically.
>>
>>92931110
So like TMNT everywhere, then.

It has occasional popularity explosions and then nobody wants to talk about it for like four years and then the cycle begins anew
>>
>>92929142
It had a lot of problems, but was still pretty good.
Worst adaptation of Mikey though, they literally made him retarded
>>
>XD
>>
Did they ever do anything with that Mutagen Man story in the end? Is Timothy still in an oversized jar in the sewer lair?
>>
File: TMNT03TVLOGO.png (46KB, 220x111px) Image search: [Google]
TMNT03TVLOGO.png
46KB, 220x111px
You know cartoons have really gone to shit when a fucking 4kids (!) adaptation from 2003 is by far the best version of TMNT even as of right now.
>>
>>92930191
Someone described it as the '87 toon being Mirage-ified, and that describes it perfectly. I wonder if the IDW comics are like that (if in their own way).
>>
>>92934683
>I wonder if the IDW comics are like that (if in their own way).
IDW is a reboot with new ideas and characters and a best of as well by reusing characters and ideas from various versions. It works very well so old fans and new fans can both enjoy it.
>>
>>92931110
I guess they did not wanted the infamous red sky seasons, which were bad.
>>
>>92935099
Are they even still going on
>>
>>92936068
Yes main ongoing is pushing issue 70 this month and a second ongoing is now published plus crossovers (Batman, Ghostbusters) and some minis.
>>
>>92928725
The JP opening was pretty cool .
>>
>>92928725
Let me guess, the final episode has been recorded and animated by now, they're only picking it up because there's 98 episodes to work with for a cheap dub out of? Probably going to skip over most episodes for a 52 episode run...
>>
>>92929247
Essentially this. Plus godawful arbitrarily placed hiatuses.
>>
So, just finished S4 at least according to Hulu, what's S5 even going to be about what with the Shredder being gone?
>>
>>92934637
2003 being good was primarily because Mirage Studios was directly involved and Peter Laird personally approved everything (at least for the first five seasons), along with FOX's BS&P being ridiculously laid-back (they only really spoke up once about the content and that wasn't until late into season 4).

It was the perfect storm of a franchise that has been traditionally merchandise-driven being given a chance to be creator-driven again without most of the restrictions that comes with a children's television slot.
>>
What happened to Joan Grody? She hasn't appeared since that Mutagen Man episode.
>>
>>92938618
They've changed up the format in season 5, so instead of one big arc, it's several mini-arcs.

>4 episodes involving Tigerclaw summoning a demon voiced by Mark Hamill to revive the Foot
>2 episodes with Mona Lisa and the Newtralizer (this is airing as a 1 hour special in a few weeks)
>1 episode set in the past with Splinter raising the turtles as babies (Kevin Eastman wrote this episode)
>1 episode with Renet and Savanti Romero
>A horror-themed arc that seems to be partly a throwback to those old Universal Monster variant toys
>An arc with Miyamoto Usagi
>A crossover arc that's a sequel to last season's crossover with the 80's turtles

The promo Nickelodeon released at the start of the season said there's 7 arcs to this season, so I'm not sure if the above is all that's left or what.
>>
>>92939842
Muck Man*
>>
>>92934577
>Did they ever do anything with that Mutagen Man story in the end?
No.

>Is Timothy still in an oversized jar in the sewer lair?

Yes.
>>
>>92929247
>Splinter gets killed by shredder
>Rewind time to stop it

>Next season splinter falls to his doom
>He makes it out
>The very same season he gets put down for good
When that happened I thought "at the very least they could've spread that one out"
>>
>>92929579
might explain why the idw tmnt game by platinum was so goofy and nothing like the comics at all
>>
>>92940373
It was not an adaptation of the IDW comics.
>>
>>92934637
That's because the 2000s were fucking amazing. Up until 2006.
>>
>>92940390
tom waltz wrote it, and used the idw designs I know its not an actual adaptation but if they wanted goofy turtles why not do the cartoon?

Transforms was not based on the cartoon or comic yet it felt like it would fit in both
>>
>>92939691
>(they only really spoke up once about the content and that wasn't until late into season 4)
Curious, what's this referring to?
>>
>>92934637
IDW says hi
>>
>>92928725
>Disney XD Japan is picking the Nickelodeon TMNT
How? Do they not care about cross companies overseas?
>>
>>92940429
TF look the same all the time except for the movies.
>>
>>92940462
The episode "Insane in the Membrane". It involved Baxter Stockman (who by that point was reduced to a brain in a jar) using Bishop's alien technology to construct a new body for him. The body was fine at first, but gradually deteriorated until his body parts started falling off and he became a rotting corpse. Baxter's mind started going as well, as he began having hallucinations about his dead mother, which led him to kidnap April (since she was one of the last people to admire him before he became a slave to Shredder, so his mind made him think she was his mother). He eventually snapped out of it just enough to commit suicide by falling from a bridge into the river (but his brain was quickly retrieved by Bishop, with Baxter's response essentially being "Why won't you let me die?").

The script was approved by Fox's BS&P, but by the time the episode was completed, there had been a massive shake-up behind the scenes at Fox with all the old BS&P being replaced. The new people felt the finished episode was way too disturbing to air on Saturday morning, so the episode was "banned" on US television, eventually airing first in the UK and then being released in the Season 4 DVD set. It didn't air in the US until August 2015 when Nicktoons had a marathon of the 2003 series.
>>
>>92940678
>How? Do they not care about cross companies overseas?

Spongebob Squarepants airs on Disney Japan, so no.

Realistically, it's because Nickelodeon Japan went off the air close to ten years ago. If Viacom wants their shows to air in Japan, they have no choice but to license them to other networks.
>>
>>92940678
Nickelodeon shut down their Japanese channel 8 years ago.
>>
>>92928725
>Is there a TMNT fanbase in Japan that's big enough to warrant another network reviving a dead series?
Yes, the original series was pretty big. The fact that TVT even aired the Nick series after they stopped airing the 2003 series early on shows that the franchise still has its fans.
>>
>>92940766
Is this the only such example for this series, other than Nightmares Recycled in season 5 of course?
>>
>>92930897
To sell two toy lines. It's not that different from those Batman Unlimited direct to DVD movies where Batman has a giant robotic T-rex.
>>
>>92940745
Since the 2007 movie, aesthetics have been very fragmented. TV shwos go for a stylized approach(Animated, Prime, RiD2015), movies are, well, the movies, and the comics go for their own detailed aesthetic.
>>
>>92940814
In quite possibly the most abrupt way possible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FTrp1EHEQ8
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.