[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Doug Walker (nostalgia critic) right about this movie? >great

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8

File: Cats_dont_dance_poster.jpg (50KB, 328x488px) Image search: [Google]
Cats_dont_dance_poster.jpg
50KB, 328x488px
Was Doug Walker (nostalgia critic) right about this movie?

>great supporting characters
>great scenery
>great atmosphere

>only problem, and a huge problem, main character is bland and forgettable
>>
>>92913299
no
>>
i'm ra's al ghul and im here to say
>>
>>92913299
Danny's motives maybe a bit generic, but what more could you ask for when it comes to the story it was trying too tell? If we are to go with the theory that the animals are African Americans, then yeah, a happy as fuck dude like him would have reality hit him hard after leaving his hometown. That, and everyone likes a good underdog story.
>>
I think the main problem with the movie is that all the characters are unrelatable and weird. I've been around theater majors a lot, including ones that went on to LA to do that shit. Nobody acts like that.

I'd fuck that cat though.
>>
File: 1487563284871.jpg (79KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1487563284871.jpg
79KB, 800x600px
>>92913477
You're not alone.
>>
>>92913299
Doug can't even make his own fucking show right. Why would you take his opinion on anything?
>>
>>92913299
He's got a bland motive and an overused happy-go-lucky, hard to put down positive attitude type of personality. That doesn't make him forgettable though, it just means that the type of character he is was just overplayed too much.

>>92913477
I thought the whole "animals weren't allowed to dance and sing" thing was an allegory for minority actors not being given anything more than two-bit roles in Hollywood works for the longest time until Will Smith came along and hit everybody with the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.
>>
>paying any attention to e-celebs
Kill yourself, subhuman.
>>
>>92913299

Danny was such a naive idiot that he thought he could ad lib a musical number and everyone would be ok with him reworking everything so he could have a larger part.

Forgettable? No.
>>
The movie's great; it was just released shittily and took constant airings on Cartoon Network for people to even know it existed, which plays against it A LOT.

Most people don't even realize that its a Warner Bros. property; they just see it as this obscure random animated movies from the end of the 90s cartoon renaissance, so they don't give it a second look.
>>
>>92913535
You'd be hard pressed to believe that there was a period in time when Nostalgia Critic was not only legit in what was being said, but also able to give a comprehensive analysis of whatever was being looked at. I don't know when, but at some point he just lost his magic and his work began to degrade, and nowadays he just hams up the whole angry reviewer meme shit too much while pointlessly having another e-celeb show up or running a gay skit.
>>
>>92913791
His editorials are one of the few things of his really worth watching, because he's not (typically) trying to ham it up for those.

We're probably going to see another "reset" for the NC, though. I remember that I stopped watching it as regularly after Kickassia happened and completely dropped all of Channel Awesome (save for based Brad) before Suburban Knights was a thing because NC had become like latter-day X-Play: chocking with memes and references that you'd have to have been watching for years to understand that took up more of the review's time than the review itself.

And since the new opening it basically just full of all the NEW meme characters and in-jokes, he'll probably do some reset again to try and recycle the show for a new audience.
>>
Danny is going around a movie set and fucking up everyone's work. He's an extra and is just harassing people on set.
>>
>>92913299
As much as I hate Doug, he does have some good points about this movie. But honestly he's being nitpicky. The main character does his job in driving the story forward, and you understand his motivations very clearly. It's because the character has not very exaggerated acting or backstory that causes ol Dougie to label him as "generic". The rest of the cast almost all have very exaggerated characters and acting save Sawyer, but because Danny just lives out the story basically you can pretty much vicariously experience his upcoming. Really without a character like Danny in the lead there would have been a lot more roadblocks in the story.

You can make a character like that work, the movie just seemed like something they wanted something to animate rather than write. Not a bad script, just loose so it loses you in some aspects. It's not one aspect of the film weighing it down, but a bunch of little problems in many aspects. Not enough that the amazing visual direction couldn't salvage it though. Just dissipates a lot of impact in some of the scenes the movie tried to have.

And also, fuck Doug. His opinions are fine sometimes, his content would be much more palpable if it weren't for all his shitty running jokes, throwaway sketch bits, or him trying to make you laugh at all. When he goes on a rage rant I want to smack my head against a wall so that the aneurysm in my head will finally burst. That even sounds like a doug line and I hate myself for it now.
>>
File: 1492482458755.jpg (65KB, 432x461px) Image search: [Google]
1492482458755.jpg
65KB, 432x461px
I haven't seen this movie yet. Anyone mind giving me the MEGA please?
>>
>>92913299
Maybe, but my issue isn't that he's boring, my issue is that he openly ruins the sets and plays he's on and the movie never acts like his obsessive showboating is a bad thing.

We wouldn't root for him if he wasn't the main character.
>>
File: 1494131740932.jpg (25KB, 354x380px) Image search: [Google]
1494131740932.jpg
25KB, 354x380px
>there will never be a HD release
>>
>>92913299
>only problem, and a huge problem, main character is bland and forgettable

Fucking hate this oft-repeated criticism. It's something I see constantly with the fucking Tvtropes crowd and their ilk.

What if, hold mamma's hand if you're too married to your fucking narrative structure to consider anything else, the protagonist is not the main focus of the story? What if the movie wants to create a mood, establish a story or focus on someone other than the protagonist? Is that too hard to conceptualize?
>>
>>92913299
Stop shilling that shitty bandwagon hopper. You can discuss a decent movie like Cats Don't Dance without bringing up the hack that got popular by reposting all of the meme-scenes from movies and "reacting" to them in character.

You can really tell how shitty he is and how bad he is at creating content when you compare an old review where he shows the viewer all of the best footage from a movie to a newer review where he can't do that so he poorly acts out the scenes. It isn't funny because NC is funny, it's funny because the movie scenes he shows off are funny.
>>
File: max.png (239KB, 635x475px) Image search: [Google]
max.png
239KB, 635x475px
>>92913564
>I thought the whole "animals weren't allowed to dance and sing" thing was an allegory for minority actors

HOW DOES THE JIGGABOO GOOOOO?
>>
>>92913499
Wait, this is official art?
>>
>>92916956
I like to think Max was a pretty happy guy before he met that little bitch and she broke him down
>>
>>92916981
Yep, there's a lot you can do on the cutting room floor that, obviously, wont get into the movie.
>>
>>92917028
I could see that, puts up with it all because it pays well.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2017-06-02-19h06m53s765.png (625KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2017-06-02-19h06m53s765.png
625KB, 1024x576px
Was he a Jew?
>>
File: sawyer.gif (810KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
sawyer.gif
810KB, 240x240px
>>92917600
I forgot how fucking small Sawyer's hand were compared to Danny's
>>
You think any humans got freaky with those animal people in this universe? Do the animals go cross-species with one another? In the movie it follows the coincidental logic of "Oh a female cat! I am a cat! We are now meant to be!"
>>
>>92913299
Pretty sure Danny was suppose to be somewhat bland. Danny was suppose to be some average guy from nowhere who just loved singing and dancing. Being boring doesn't mean he wasn't relatable.
>>
>>92916956
It was.
The animals were basically blacks and other minorities in Hollywood during the 40's -50's.
>>
>>92917845
I like to think that there are human/animal couples, it's just usually looked down upon (at the time) and they can't have kids.
>>
>>92918081
>can't have kids
Well, if the animals are analogues for racial discrimination, they probably had a lot of them.
>>
>>92917845
Didn't Sawyer's boss flirt with her a bit during this scene.>>92917600

Been years since i saw the movie, but I recall him being very touchy feely with her.
>>
>>92918266
Yeah, an obvious nod to that sort of treatment in Hollywood towards women / ethnic minorities.

I don't remember if there are even black people in CDD... Could have been, but I don't recall one. Maybe in this universe, the tragedy of US slavery was vast fields of animal people, and land owners having illegitimate children with their, uh.... cats.
>>
>>92918079
Who Framed Roger Rabbit was the same way, surprisingly enough.
>>
>>92918355
Yeah no. In Roger Rabbit the toons were the dominant class in Hollywood
>>
>>92918138
Pretty sure there might have been some rabbit families causing trouble.
>>
>>92913336
WE'RE
>>
>>92918319
>land owners having illegitimate children with their, uh.... cats.
What a world to live in!
>>
>>92918411
Were they?
They lived in a segregated ghetto where they have no rights to their own land, they're about to get bulldozed by gentrification, and the only work they can get is in entertainment fields. It's not as blatant an allegory as CDD but it's still arguably there.
>>
>>92918559
Where do you think Sawyer got her white fur from?
>>
>>92918567
>They lived in a segregated ghetto
They lived in their own world

>they have no rights to their own land
Because they were man-made beings

>they're about to get bulldozed by gentrification
That was Doom's bullshit. Almost everyone else loved toons.

>and the only work they can get is in entertainment fields
They had all kind of jobs in the movie.

> it's still arguably there.
No, it was not there. Remember how Eddie was the weirdo of the movie for being anti-toon? He was the only one.
>>
>>92913299
>Was Doug Walker (nostalgia critic) right about this movie?

What does Doug Walker (Chester A. Bum) think about that movie then?
>>
>>92918967
read the OP
>>
>>92918967
He's just glad he had a warm place to sit for an hour.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.