[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I just caught up to this show after starting it like a week

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

File: Rick and Morty.jpg (103KB, 350x506px) Image search: [Google]
Rick and Morty.jpg
103KB, 350x506px
So I just caught up to this show after starting it like a week ago. And there's something i'm uncertain of.

I initially didn't want to start the show because the fans made it seem like the show was promoting the whole message of "fuck everything, everything is meaningless, it's cool to be a huge fucking asshole". But after watching it I got the impression that it's just how Rick's character is, and the show just shows Rick being Rick instead of shoving Rick's philosophies down your throat.

But I don't see anyone else taking it that way. It's seriously making me question myself.
>>
>>92908432
4chan is an echo chamber of bad ideas.

no one intelligent thinks homer, or rick, or dr venture are role models.
>>
>>92908432
>It's seriously making me question myself.
Yeah, Rick and Morty is one of those shows that really make you think. /co/ is just to dumb to actually put any thought into it.
>>
>>92908465
But i'm not saying the show is making me think, get out of here with that. What i'm saying is that most people's perception of the show is making me think since it doesn't align with mine.
>>
>>92908456
and i want to add i'm saying this as a nihilistic atheist.

even when largely sharing rick's beliefs, there's a better way to deal with the universe than rick's bullshit.
>>
>>92908482
"most people" are idiots. but in this case "most people" just sounds like the loudest, most annoying people on /co/
>>
>>92908482
Oh so you're one of """them"""? Figures.
>>
>>92908432
People often are not articulate with their words and this often frustrates them in the face of something they don't like. Because they can't explain why they like it and they feel like they HAVE to explain why they dislike it. The result of this is often faggots who latch onto specific catchphrases and common occurrences in a show; since those things are repetitive, they must be why they are bad. The things they latch onto often are not a breaking point of why a show is good or bad but its the easiest way for them to articulate their dislike.

And if that late night shitposting was too weird and stupid to read then tl;dr its usually best to not let the opinions of others affect your thoughts on a show before you've seen it, because there's always going to be someone who overhyped the goodness or badness of the content.
>>
>>92908545
Sometimes you gotta be your own hype man.
>>
>listening to fans of anything ever

It's a great way to hear only the worst about something.
>>
>>92908432
That's just the product of Reddit having the misguided impression that they can relate to Rick. Naturally /co/ and the rest of 4chan despises this, for good reason, but also blames the show. It's not entirely fair, either.

At the very least, Justin Roiland reads /co/'s criticisms and ignores the echo chamber that is the Rick And Morty subreddit. So many animators can't handle criticism (Alec Sulkin, Hotdiggitydemon, etc,) so that's a breath of fresh air.

I think the show overrelies on the tired "idiot husband is wrong, wife is always right" formula, which is strange since it's so good at not being formulaic, but it definitely isn't fedoracore.
>>
>>92908509
See that's another thing. People are constantly talking about how Rick and Morty are bastions of atheism and nihilism.

Rick is obviously an atheist, but the show isn't constantly shoving it in your face that it's the only way to think. But the perception I get from a lot of fans is that this is the case.

Even with Nihilism, that's a term that's been bastardized and is misunderstood. Both Nihilism and Existentialism have become very broad in regards to their definition. Nihilism simply just means that there is no meaning, and that's it. It doesn't make the assumption that you create your own meaning, it just simply means that there is no meaning. Earnest Becker said that if you are truly a Nihilist, you should just lay down and die".

Nietzsche wasn't a Nihilist, and he saw Nihilism as destructive. To me Rick and Morty seems more absurdist or existentialist.

>>92908545
>>92908525
It's not even /co/. It's mostly my actual friends in real life.
>>
>>92908778
>>92908821
to play devil's advocate here, while rick might not be a good role model, i think the "SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOT" episode was a pretty strong condemnation of religious thinking in general and had beth as the "voice of reason"
>>
Is this that cartoon a lot of people hate because it doesn't pander to neo-4chan's reactionary Christian beliefs?
>>
>>92908973
yes
>>
>>92908930
OP here.

I think the episode was excellent at showing the faults of religious thinking.

But here's the thing, I never criticized the show's writing. Rick not being a good role model doesn't mean the show is bad, it just means that Rick isn't a good role model and people mistake him as one. I thought the show would constantly fellate Rick and that the writers would agree with him, but that isn't the case.
>>
>>92908930
Yeah, it definitely mocked organized religion. That's its own topic, I'd say, since the episode didn't feel edgy. Hamfisted, maybe, but it didn't make me feel like I was crawling in my skin with wounds thay shall not heal.

Still, it's my least favorite behind Big Trouble In Little Sanchez
>that forced Tiny Rick meme that took off because the fans are so impressionable
Why, Justin?
>>
>>92908432
It's only people who are looking too hard for a message behind each episode that are walking away with the idea that Rick's philosophy is the 'moral'.
>>
>>92909135
but the alternate plot of couples therapy was amazing.

somewhere in the universe, a goddess exists. I wonder if she will save our lost jerry.
>>
>>92908992
yeah, I agree.
>>
>>92909264
You're right, I forget about that subplot. That might be the only instance where the Rick plot sucks but the Jerry and Beth plot is great.

In that case Intergalactic Cable 2 is really the worst, although that seems to be universally agreed upon. It has its moments. I actually don't thoroughly unenjoy any episode, but I do skip that one. The "penis heart transplant" subplot was almost funny but just felt like a confused stand against some societal expectation that the writers hadn't decided upon yet.
>>
I watched it kinda reluctlantly thinking it would be insufferable, but I actually liked it. It's funny.
>>
>>92908456
>no one intelligent thinks homer, or rick, or dr venture are role models.
or Archer or Deadpool or Frank or Rorschach
>>
>>92908992
>it just means that Rick isn't a good role model and people mistake him as one
He fucking abandoned his family and is abusive towards everyone he knows. They made him funny to keep people watching, not to justify everything he's done.

Tard epidemic
>>
>>92908432
I love this show

wicked
nihilistic
and with an edgy sense of humor to boot.

It's like the creators read my personal diary desu
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (16KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
16KB, 480x360px
>>92908778
>I think the show overrelies on the tired "idiot husband is wrong, wife is always right" formula

I don't know about that. Beth is a fucking MESS and makes the wrong decisions all the fucking time. Even in the most recent episode, she makes this commitment to making her family life work, commits to her husband, and then the moment that Rick is back in the picture, she's kicking her husband out for his COMPLETELY REASONABLE objections to Rick's destructive impact on their family.

Beth fucks up all the time because her value system makes no goddamn sense, and the show doesn't shy away from that.
>>
File: laughingwhores.jpg (51KB, 600x350px) Image search: [Google]
laughingwhores.jpg
51KB, 600x350px
>>92912549
>Jerry's ultimatum
>completely reasonable
>moments after Rick saved the earth and everyone on it
>>
>>92908992
>people mistake him as one

I have to imagine that most of the time when people do so they're being tongue-in-cheek and ironic. Rick is a terribly unhappy, destructive and selfish character, and much of what the show is about revolves around his abusive and self-absorbed behaviour. Does anyone sincerely look at him drinking himself to death and think "Yeah, that's who I want to be?"
>>
>>92908973

I think that's probably a part of it, though they usually don't articulate it quite as openly as that.
>>
>>92912571

BUT HE ONLY DID SO IN SERVICE TO HIS WEIRD PERSONAL VENDETTA AGAINST JERRY. Jerry was completely correct; he saw through Rick's bullshit ruse and was punished for it.
>>
File: laughing.jpg (94KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
laughing.jpg
94KB, 500x333px
>>92912629
>he took the rambling speech at the end of the episode seriously
How does it feel to be mentally handicapped?
>>
>>92909359
Intergalactic Cable 2 was worth it just to hear Werner Herzog talk about penises.
>>
That's pretty much it, really.

You aren't special. You aren't unique. You'll die someday, and it won't make a damn bit of difference. But there's still good stuff out there too, stuff that makes your short little life enjoyable while its there.

Maybe. I dunno. I suck at identifying themes and morals.
>>
>>92908432
>be told something by 4chan for years
>investigate
>find out 4chan is full of shit
>act fucking surprised
YOU ARE AN IDIOT
NEVER BREED
>>
>>92912629
>BUT HE ONLY DID SO IN SERVICE TO HIS WEIRD PERSONAL VENDETTA AGAINST JERRY

That only the viewers and Morty were made aware of, and even then Rick could have just been feeding Morty bullshit.

Ricks main trait is he's a flakey fuckup who is afraid of being too sentimental, we don't know why though. I feel like hes actively forcing himself to be a wacky asshole and tries to tell himself he doesn't care about anything.
>>
>>92913131

>we don't know why though.

A mixture of guilt and insanity.
>>
>>92908432
I'm no good with words (and sorry for shilling), but there are handful of Rick and Morty episodes in Wisecrack channel. Maybe that will help?
>>
>>92913185
I mean we dont know the reason behind that guilt, we've heard all his bullshit stories though.
>>
>>92913204

He seems to regret not being there for Morty when he was little, and it looked like he missed out on a lot of Beth's childhood too.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.