[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone explain the company wars bullshit to me? As consumers,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: marveldc.jpg (81KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
marveldc.jpg
81KB, 1200x630px
Can someone explain the company wars bullshit to me? As consumers, isn't it in our best interest to want to see both companies succeed and produce worthwhile content, especially when it's relatively cheap?

I mean, console wars and PC vs. console gaming I get, those are several hundred dollar investments you're making and I'd be defensive if someone implied my $200+ investment was inferior to someone else's too, but movie tickets are around $10 and comics are even cheaper (unless you like hardcovers/color editions/omnibuses/slipcases/etc., but I've never seen someone trash the Sandman paperbacks in favor of the hardcovers).

What is it that keeps you loyal to Marvel/DC/Image/whatever and prevents you from reading everything you can find?
>>
>>92890995
It comes from people who came from /v/ and /tv/
>>
>>92890995
No. This would be true if Marvel's business practices haven't been hurting the industry for close to a decade. They overcharge for books, ship thousands of copies for free and report it as sales without allowing the retailers to return them and focus more on marketing than storytelling. If you support current Marvel you are basically supporting an industry crash that will hurt everyone.
>>
Tribalism, pure and simple.

"Fuck THOSE guys, because they aren't US!"
>>
>>92891087
I do t believe they are over priced at Marvel, the fact that a 4$ comic gets you both a physical and digital copy alone makes it worth it, but now they are also giving away random issues of other comics as well. For example, last week the marvel title on my pull list came with a bonus issue of Doctor Strange and the Sorcerers Supreme #1. Further more, in this day and age, most comics are going digital, offering bonus material for the same price encourages people like myself to buy from a lcs and help support the story and industry. I understand DC has also recently started to give out free digital copies of their monthly titles after taking the price of 2.99 up to 3.99, and this is a good move I believe. The mojority of my comics that I had been collecting from Rebirth and Post Secret Wars were all lost in a house fire last week, but I'm still able to read all of my Marvel comics because I was given free digital copies of each of them.

This is why I would hardly say that Marvel is over priced as crashing the industry
>>
>>92891021
This honestly. Before Iron Man there was none of this shit here.
>>
>>92891724
>be new reader
>cant spell
>pretends to understand how the market works

Them overshipping when they charge more for titles and reporting it as revenues is the huge issue. That makes everyone elses returns appear less so when this stops working and it backfires the industry will see a huge chunk of its market share just disappear cause it was never actually there in the first place.
>>
>>92890995
That whole thing started around the time TDKR was in the cinemas. I know it, i was here. It's utterly /tv/s fault.
>>
>>92891724
Those issues you recieve for free are overshipped and would otherwise rack up storage fees. If they didn't give them away, they'd be burned.
>>
>>92894010
>burning digital copies
Wot?
>>
>>92891021
fpbp

Though I will say that Marvel directly fans the flames too ever since that "AOL Comics" comment that killed crossovers.
>>
>>92890995
From what I've seen, it comes from three major sources
>Rage-tards from /v/ and /tv/
>Casuals and Normies who only watch the movies and are trying to make a thing out of nothing
>These weird Pakistani and Indian guys who spam the term "dccuck" every thread and are pushing the term into social media
>>
this company war bullshit has been going on since at least the late 60s. people just like belonging to and supporting "their" team, be it blue or red. it's just a human thing to do.
>>
>>92890995
First, don't listen to dumb memes about "/tv/ started it!" Nerds have been fighting over this stuff for years.

I lean heavily toward DC. I don't read much Marvel nor do I really have an interest in reading it. There are many reasons for this.
>DC stories feel more mythic/legendary than Marvel's
>DC does legacy characters a lot better than Marvel
>DC is more politically balanced than Marvel
>DC actually tries to make interesting characters who happen to be minorities whereas Marvel pushes diversity without implementing anything interesting
>Marvel is constantly shitting out line-wide events whereas DC is slightly more restrained
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.