[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Exactly following "The Hero's Journey" format

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: 1496209021724.jpg (7KB, 255x200px) Image search: [Google]
1496209021724.jpg
7KB, 255x200px
>Exactly following "The Hero's Journey" format

Writers are such hacks
>>
>Exactly following the "Love Story" format
>I can identify landmark narrative categories so people should stop using them
Why are you such a miserable person?
>>
>>92882127
it's funny when writers do this and everyone accuses them of copying Star Wars (which they may well be doing, but still)

I guess I don't consume enough fiction to really be bothered by this kind of thing, though
>>
>>92882127
most annoying part of getting my useless arts degree was the professors who treated Campbell's literary theories as gospel
>>
File: IMG_2681.gif (318KB, 332x236px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2681.gif
318KB, 332x236px
>>92882127
>Story doesn't follow Hero's Journey format or actively tries to subvert it purely for the sake of subversion
>The pacing is shit, the character development is rushed, inconsistent, and/or nonexistent, and the ending is anticlimactic.
>>
>>92882127
>>92882511
>Story follows the Hero's Journey format to a T
>The pacing is shit, the character development is rushed, inconsistent, and/or nonexistent, and the ending is anticlimactic.
>>
>exactly following the "shitpost" format

OP is such a fag
>>
>>92882633
>exactly following the "fag" format

Anon is such a shitposter
>>
>>92882127
>story doesn't follow "The Hero's Journey" format
>the villain wins at the end
>kills the main hero but not before making sure they suffer incredible tortures
>rapes their love interest and the last shot we see of them is them all bruised and crying in a corner
>successfully unleashes their plan on the world, we're expilicitly shown all the people who suffer from the villain's success, in great detail
>the villain stands on the top of his tower of evil and masturbates to how awesome and evil they are
>there is no hope and everything is terrible
>all the struggles we've seen of the hero are virtually meaningless now
>it doesn't really make sense as a story
>goes out of its way to make you feel terrible
>at least /co/ntrarians like it
>>
>>92882669
>"The Hero's Journey" only means that the hero wins at the end, and the only way to subvert it is with a downer ending

i'm not sure what kind of bait this is, but you need to try harder
>>
>>92882127
>not liking the heroes journey
i love it
whether LotR, star wars, the lego movie, it doesnt matter
something about it just resonates with me
>>
>>92882669
So... basically Samurai Jack if we go along with the majority here in pretending episode 10 never existed?
>>
>>92882726
>we go along with the majority here in pretending episode 10 never existed?
That's not the majority, that's the bitchy minority. The majority realizes the ending was flawed but that with only ten episodes for the final season, there was not a lot that could done for it, and so stopped talking about it.
>>
>>92882755
>show builds up a deep decision for a character over an entire season if not series
>final episode of said season: HA, PSYCH!
I'm not sure if this was worse in ATLA or SJ here, but it's a big reason why both shows are deeply overrated.
>>
>>92882600
Fuck you. TLA is one of the few cartoons that does most things right. Ending was a dues ex machina, but the final fight scenes were incredible and a massive pay off to the character development and personal conflicts.
>>
>>92882755
>That's not the majority, that's the bitchy minority.
Polling says you're wrong.
>>
>>92882127
The Hero's Journey is perfect format for good pacing and character development.
>>
>>92882783
see >>92882780
I actually had far less of an issue with Book 3's finale than Book 2's, for the record.
>>
>>92882795
You mean Zuko's decision?
>>
>>92882788
I stopped going to Samurai Jack threads shortly after the show ended becuase I had no wish to participate in endless bitching circle jerks, and I suspect most people did the same. its not surprising your polls are skewed.
>>
>>92882813
I did the same, but I think dedicated fans are just upset because the first few episodes painted it to be about so much more. The rest of the show is still good, but I get why people don't like it.
>>
>>92882805
No shit, Sherlock.
>>92882813
>>92882832
People are primarily upset because the season was building up to Jack not going back after all, and then the final episode threw all of that away
>>
>>92883026
>literally the entire premise is that he goes back
>"wtf why did he go back"
>>
>>92883069
Notice that I never said that was wrong. I'm actually a pastfag who thinks futurefags deserved to win after being teased all season long.
>>
>>92882755
>only ten episodes
That should have been plenty if Genndy hadn't insisted on shoving his waifu into the season and wasting time """developing her character""".
>>
>>92883134
Ashi as a counterpoint and parallel to Jack was obviously always going to be a part of a movie or return season.
>>
>>92883213
Doesn't make it any better of an idea.
>>
>>92882600

You have autism.
>>
>>92883026

The first line of the theme song is 'Gotta get back, back to the past, Samurai Jack.
>>
>>92883339
>anon uses ad hom thinking it's an actual insult
>>92883364
>the theme song has to be followed at all times
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.