[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was the reason behind "50 years have passed, but I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 6

File: jack.jpg (6KB, 273x185px) Image search: [Google]
jack.jpg
6KB, 273x185px
Like, what was it?

Why not just "few years have passed, Aku has destroyed all the portals". Aku is depressed from being afraid to face Jack and kill him, Jack is depressed from failing to go home.

This would at least give Jack some urgency to try and go back at all costs?

The only consequence we actually see is some characters being old. And then all those characters are just waved away like they weren't even there.

And they completely fail to address Jack's not aging in the finale. Like, at all.

So all we're left is assuming that he's now an immortal virgin living with his parents?
>>
Aku states at the beginning of S5E2 that him flinging Jack into the future in the beginning fucked with his aging process

It's kind of weak, but they at least acknowledged it
>>
File: 1494188810220.png (118KB, 833x533px) Image search: [Google]
1494188810220.png
118KB, 833x533px
I honestly though the 50 years thing was so that the baby would show up and help out but they didn't even acknowledge her lel.

What a fucking shitpile that whole season was.
>>
Ashi. They needed to have her, and to have her, they needed a big timeskip, but since she was the love interest, they couldn't have 40/50 year old jack hook up with 20 something girl, so they pulled the "I do not age" bullahit for no other reason than to have him tap that.
>>
>>92818492
Yeah, that was the only reason that came to my head, but there are still huge issues with:
>ultimately she still is one of the characters that are just waved away
>her story could easily be shown in the exact same way, trained to kill Aku's enemies and then pointed towards Jack when he arrives in the future. Would probably be even more convincing that way, daughters of Akur were already killing Aku's enemies and are now exicted to face the most dangerous one
>introducing a huge thing like immortality just for that reason and the completely failing to address it is horrible writing
>>
>>92818327
It was the way to give show more edge.
"Stranded in a future for several decades" sounds more grim and rad than "for few years"
>>
A lot of poor choices. Wonder if Genndy will ever give an interview explaining them. Doubt it.
>>
>>92818327
>And they completely fail to address Jack's not aging in the finale. Like, at all.
Are you stupid? He didn't age because of the effects of the time travel. That was reversed.
>>
>>92818492
Might I add that you could have introduced Ashi and the daughters of Aku without the timeskip since you can easily stablish that they were training during the events of Season 1 and 4.
There is no reason to have her existence be tied with a random timeskip.
Honestly, I would have preferred the show address said skip as if it were the break of the show, 15 years, though ultimately I believe it was done to portray how the characters Jack helped have changed and their homes improved, something that would be more apparent the further in time we go.
Then again, Jack's home in the past was shown to have been repaired in an undisclosed but seemingly brief period, so really the same could have been true for the future settlements.
>>
What's the point of just a few years?
Why not 50 years?
>>
>>92819120
>That was reversed.
There is no evidence of that.
Saying that the portal affected his aging doesn't necessarily mean that another portal will fix it.
Following in the same hypothetical vein of thought, one could argue that exposure to time portals and time magic in general is responsible for it and that the further the exposure the more drastic the effects, so instead of Jack, hypothetically speaking, aging so slowly that in 50 years he doesn't notice a change, he has now become almost effectively immortal and might as well not notice a single change in 5000 years.
Remember, the nature of the time portal magic are never clearly established beside "but I do not age" (since the show didn't even bother giving a visual hint in the finale) so anything other than that is hypothetical or, as we say in these parts, headcanon.
>>
>>92819120
>they don't immediately acknowledge my headcanon thus they are stupid

100% legit
>>
>>92819246
>>92819257
If the second portal didn't magically erase the effects of the first the universe would've imploded. Remember, Ashi no longer exists, which would cause a paradox under "normal" time travel rules. Hence, magic.
>>
>>92818327
I thought the whole 50 years thing was them acknowledging the 10 year break. Knowing they couldn't pick up right where it was and having to wait so damn long.
>>
>>92819319
That is, again, all hypothetical.
Ashi's existence was tied to Aku's one, so it makes sense in universe (whether something could have prevented it or not is another matter and I am holding all arguments within what the show has irrefutably portrayed), Jack's seeming immortality isn't explicitly tied to anything cause the magic and its properties are never explored.
>>
>>92819403
No, you're missing the point.
If Ashi no longer exists she could never have sent Jack back, which means Jack could never have killed Aku, which means she DOES exist and DID send him back, which means he DID kill Aku and she no longer exists... paradox!

The ONLY logical resolution is to say the second time portal fully cancelled out the first, other than perhaps in Jack's memories.
>>
>>92819703
You are applying a logic of your own when the show portrayed, without a doubt, that
1. Ashi seized to exist as we know her.
2. Aku was destroyed as far as we know.
3. Jack is alive and the past has been saved.
Nothing regarding the effects on Jack's aging has been explored beyond the fact that he did not age in the future.
Does that mean that he does not age in the past? No.
Does that mean that he does? No.
It means that we do not know and it is left to our own interpretation, which means that nothing about it can be stated as fact, only as a hypothetical scenario that we chose to hold as the truth, only as an opinion, as our headcanon.
>>
>>92819778
But some interpretations are far more *logically consistent* than others.
>>
>>92819327
same
>>
>>92819827
And none of them are fact.
They are all equally meaningless.
As was your initial statement towards OP since he is right in saying that the aging issue was not addressed.
>>
>>92819901
If they are all equally meaningless, what's the point of this topic? Fuck it, what's the point of /co/ in general then? Your bullshit is not acceptable.
>>
>>92818327
Time Skip trope.
>>
>>92819327
So why not skip 10 years? Jack could remain relatively young with natural aging and we wouldn't have the weird pointlessness of jack being frozen in time
>>
>>92819919
The point is discussion, sharing ones thoughts about any given subject regarding comics and cartoons, something we tend to do by posting things in a thread that are related to what was first posted in the OP.
And in the case of myself and whatever anon or anons I am talking to, proving that OP is right in saying that the aging issue was not addressed.
>>
>>92819827
I don't buy it. I don't buy it at all.

The way they introduced and portrayed time travel in the final episode was completely asspull and idiotic. I don't believe one can make any logical conclusions connected to it.
>>
>>92818327
>What was the reason behind "50 years have passed, but I do not age" thing?
Metaphor. God this stuff is simple. it's been a fuck long time for us thus it's also been a fuck long time for jack too. As if to say over that long hiatus the world of samurai jack never stopped moving even though the character himself was immortalized.

>And they completely fail to address Jack's not aging in the finale. Like, at all.
He's back in his rightful place in time so he ages again.
>>
File: 1495789719574.jpg (20KB, 636x600px) Image search: [Google]
1495789719574.jpg
20KB, 636x600px
>>92818327
How does ANYONE have difficulty understanding this?

It's all about isolating and despiriting Aku and ESPECIALLY Jack. Genndy knew from the days of the movie that he wanted to explore a story where Jack had really and truly lost his way, and settled on this to do it. Why? Well, for starters, 50 years is a literal lifetime. We know Jack can handle a tremendous mental burden, so Genndy needed to pile on decades of failure, death, and horror that would be too much even for him. To isolate him not just from people he had helped but from the concept of even being properly human. To make him even more of a stranger, even more alone. The second reason is even more cruel: immortal Jack has to face his perceived failure FOREVER. He cannot go back. He cannot kill Aku without the sword. All he can do is watch Aku's filth crush everything he does and has ever done, again and again and again and again. Nothing could be worse for him, it's hell on Earth, and it's why he needed an outside perspective to save him.

I swear to god, sometimes you guys are stupider than fucking /b/.
>>
>>92820551
All of that could be accomplished if he just lost the sword.
>>
File: images(13).jpg (5KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
images(13).jpg
5KB, 259x194px
>>92820607
It really couldn't. Besides all the other points in the post that the sword has nothing whatsoever to do with, you need to establish that Jack genuinely believes the sword is gone for good and that the portals really are all gone and Aku wasn't just lying.
>>
>>92820551
So, uh, apart from showing a few older guys how was all this SO EASY TO UNDERSTAND stuff actually shown in the show. It wasn't. Ergo - it was pointless. While at the same time making everything even more convoluted and nonsensical.

Oh, but he has a beard now hurrrrrrrrrr.

Seriously the only convincing argument so far is that they needed to pave the way for the plot-device waifu. Which is not even an argument in itself, but understandable.

Guys like you can take your boring headcanons and go cry in a corner.
>>
>>92820728
Next thing you'll be arguing that Jack taking a shit is headcanon because we never see him do it. Fuck off back to /sug/.
>>
Jack's body is frozen in the moment he was sent into the portal.
>>
>>92820777

Yeah, as opposed to writing stupid shit like

>All he can do is watch Aku's filth crush everything he does and has ever done, again and again and again and again.

When it's obviously the exact opposite of what is shown on the screen.
>>
>>92820688
He didn't even look for the sword in 50 years of it missing. He believed it was gone for good as soon as he lost it; the time that past was irrelevant. It could've been 5, 15 or 50 years, narrative there isn't a difference
>>
Would've been better if traveling back in time wasn't possible
Jack doesn't age because the time portal was actually him frozen in time, not really time traveling
Ending would've been him stuck in the future and setting off to build a better one
>>
>>92820867
Except Jack says he's lost countless friends, he laments Aku's rule in the opening fucking narration, and in episode 5 we have a lines saying 'you've come back' at the site of another attack by Aku's servants. This isn't speculation, it's events and dialogue on screen across the span of episodes.

>>92820878
Jack explicitly tells Ashi that he could not find it again. Seems pretty apparent from saying that he couldn't find it that he looked.
>>
>>92818327
The reason can be, as it often is in works of fiction, to show the consequences of the characters actions, the off-screen development of the world and its characters; an all around simple and well-accepted way to skip filler material.
To ask why it was 50 years in particular is not something one can usually give a straight answer to since the reasons behind it can vary or be a mixture of many.
Perhaps it was because it was a comfortable, round number to use that would allow the creators to show us the future without it being so far into the timeline that recognizable characters, such as The Scotsman, are dead.
Perhaps it was a spur of the moment decision that was given very little thought since it was meant to be a plot-device to give a reasonable background to Jack's search and loss of all time portals, the loss of his sword, and his slowly settling hopelessness.
Perhaps it was linked to the aesthetic designs that they had worked on and thought that 50 years suited them alright.
Sometimes it doesn't have to have an elaborate meaning and could, had someone else been in charge of the decision, been a different number, but it served the purpose of giving a plausible frame to the narrative.
>>
>>92821045
>Jack explicitly tells Ashi that he could not find it again. Seems pretty apparent from saying that he couldn't find it that he looked.
And his second attempt was to just go deeper into the hole he dropped it. Clearly, he barely looked the first time. Fucking 50 years, and he never thought to just go deeper into he hole.
It makes no sense, but hey that's how they wrote it.
>>
>>92821097
>fight with Aku and the 3 goats is over
>decides to walk away for 50 years instead of going into the hole as soon as possible
At first I thought that he had lost the sword in a pit of green fire what with how they showed it in his flashback, then episode 7 came around and it was just the stupidest shit.
Bravo, Genndy.
>>
>>92818489
i'm sad i made that shitpost, now annoying ashi fags are making it a meme
>>
Honestly it should've just been a 13 year timeskip. Match the time the show was actually missing without making half the cast too old to be useful and having to freeze Jack in time without ever using that for anything
>>
>>92821097
He obviously went to the bottom before since he knows he's there before he arrives.

Jack needed to confirm to himself that it wasn't lost but vanished, which he wasn't willing to do before E7, admit that a part of him had grown out of control with rage, bitterness, self-pity and defeatism.
>>
>>92821219
>He obviously went to the bottom before since he knows he's there before he arrives.
What?
>>
>>92819061
Also, it had to be at the very least ~20 years for the Priestess to birth and raise the Daughters.
>>
>>92818327
The real reason is that there needed to be at least an 18+ year timeskip in order for Ashi to be born and grow up to be old enough for Jack to fuck/marry her without making Jack look like a pedo. 50 is just a nice round number.
>>
>>92821233
Watch the episode.

>>92821345
Technically not, since you could say they were born during season 4.
>>
>>92818327
It had to be 50 years because ít needed to be a long time for Jack, a veritable paragon of righteousness, to finally start to lose his way.
>>
>>92821399
He lost his way when he murdered goats. It's why the sword left him in the first place
>>
>>92821381
>Watch the episode.
No I literally do not understand what you said. Please rephrase it.
>>
>>92821437
Jack knows they've reached the bottom of the pit before they physically arrive. He's been this far down before.
>>
>>92821422
It wasn't JUST killing the goats, but the building defects in his character that led him to do so in the first place and which only worsened after.

Killing the goats was a product of his unworthiness, not the direct cause.
>>
>>92821505
So he lost his way, culminating in him killing the goats
We're saying the same thing
>>
>its another "I understand the media better than the creator" thread
>>
>>92818327
>>92820728
Here's a good reason, it's the final season and 50 years of failure is Jack's logical low point before his climactic comeback. Also, Genndy is allowed to write the story he wants, whether you like it is up to you.
>>
>>92821552
I bet you think Zack Snyder is a paragon of filmmaking
>>
>>92821345
>implying they couldn't have possibly been born during the time period between season 1 and 4
>implying we have any idea how much time passed between his arrival in the future and the end of season 4

>>92821476
>implying it is good writing to have him search a hole he already knows is empty instead of him telling Ashi what he already knows and stating that he is just doing it to satiate her curiosity
>>
>>92821621
i'm not
>>92821476
But man, you sure do seem to know a lot about good writing, huh?
>>
>>92821476
It's a giant featureless hole straight down with a flat bottom. The could know the bottom by simply seeing it. Even if he did explore it before how would that help him identify the bottom? It's a giant featureless hole straight down; one segment of wall is much the same as the next. Are you saying he memorized the specific grooves in the wall or something? You're filling in a lot for what was just a single line of "we're here"
>>
>>92821538
Yeah, sounds like it.

>>92821621
Because if Genndy didn't have him search the hole visibly, people would ask why he didn't just search the hole. And because Jack is still coming to terms in E7 with the fact that he is unworthy. It's no surprise he'd try again when he hasn't allowed himself to fully admit that.

>>92821743
The pit isn't featureless, though? They even camp on the way down. And you're not going to see the bottom in a lightest pit that deep - Ashi certainly didn't, but Jack did.
>>
>>92821180
>makes a shitpost
>sad that it's a meme
mate, what are you doing
>>
>>92821833
To clarify, I'm saying Jack knew they were about to hit the bottom before Ashi, and obviously not because it was visible, because it plainly wasn't. No, I don't think he memorized grooves, but the pit had outcroppings and formations that he probably uses as landmarks to gauge how deep they were.
>>
>>92821833
So Genndy decides to make the show more mature in terms of themes, jokes, and visuals to cater to the audience that watched the show in their youth but does not consider that perhaps he should also make an effort to build richer dialogue, pace, and narrative, resorting to things like "well he has to search the empty hole again cause people couldn't possible find it reasonable for him to explain his situation",
>>
File: TheHole.png (299KB, 836x463px) Image search: [Google]
TheHole.png
299KB, 836x463px
>>92821833
>>92821940
Anon, it's a hole. They were grooves and outcroppings everywhere. You're saying he memorized them and remembered their specific locations as landmarks for 50 years. You are attaching a lot of impractical details to justify your perception of literally two words of dialogue, when him simply seeing the bottom would suffice. It would be wiser to apply occam's razor here.
>>
>>92822043
This very thread proves it's necessary.
>>
>>92822315
Then I would suggest most of the people posting please read and obey the following rule.
>"You will immediately cease and not continue to access the site if you are under the age of 18."
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.