[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Characters who were ruined by the sequels >alien man

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 195
Thread images: 13

File: Drax-the-destroyer-380x415.jpg (191KB, 380x415px) Image search: [Google]
Drax-the-destroyer-380x415.jpg
191KB, 380x415px
ITT: Characters who were ruined by the sequels

>alien man with some funny quirks in the first movie
>autistic manchild who is a dick for no reason at all in the second movie
>>
He got flanderized hard. People seemed to love it though so there's no going back.
>>
>>92814592
>autistic manchild who is a dick for no reason at all
That's exactly the same as in the first movie
>>
I can't even remember anything about him from the first movie. He was walking scenery.
>>
He's got more personality in the second movie. And he wasn't a "dick" just boldly honest. Rocket was the one who was a dick.
>>
>>92814631
>He got flanderized hard

Did he though? I don't remember him laughing like an asshole at stuff in the first movie, he just took everything you said literally and moved on. That's a totally different character to me
>>
>>92814631
I mean it's still there. The emotional core is still there, but Gunn's burying it hard under way too much comedy in Drax's case. I think it was because while GotG had an emotional connection between Drax and the main threat, this one just had him along for the ride, meaning he got shoved into the comic relief role, while Peter, having a dance off with Ronan in the first film, ends up carrying the emotional weight in this one (Pac-Man notwitstanding) of both his "fathers" dying in his arms in the third act.
>>
>>92814693
>I don't remember him laughing like an asshole at stuff in the first movie
I do. At Rocket I believe
>>
>>92814632
In the first movie he was an alien man whose culture was a little too different. In the second movie, he is just annoying

>>92814680
>calling Mantis repulsive out of the blue
>not a dick
>>
>>92814814
You claim Drax to be autistic, but the only autist here is you.

Yes, he did call Mantis names, but it wasn't for the sake of berating her, he just expresses his thoughts without refrains.
>>
>>92814807
Not at every fucking line though. Drax was like a goddamn audience track.

The joke's either funny or it isn't.
>>
>>92814862
He called her ugly to conceal the fact that he's attracted to her. He said she was beautiful at the end.
>>
File: IMG_1420.jpg (30KB, 485x303px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1420.jpg
30KB, 485x303px
The conflict with Peter made no sense given what they've already gone through in the first movie. And they don't even bother exploring his motivations for being an asshole. Was he raped as a cub or something?
>>
>>92814869
>Not at every fucking line though. Drax was like a goddamn audience track.
Unless you can name 10 instances of this it's false.
>>
>>92814899
Did you miss the heartfelt moment where Yondu explicitely spells out why Rocket is an asshole, because they're both assholes for the same reason?

It was kind of a key scene
>>
>>92814897
>He called her ugly to conceal the fact that he's attracted to her. He said she was beautiful at the end.
You're retarded.

He called her ugly because he thought so. At the end he calls her beautiful on the inside. Drax wasn't concealing shit, he did think Mantis was ugly, but since his race is completely literal and doesn't have "touch" he just outright says so.
>>
>>92814905
Oh sure, lemme go pay for another screening so I can remember every single instance.

He was braying like a jackass so much more in this film and you know it.
>>
>>92814592
They had little to know respect for Drax's established character at all in either movie. In the second he's even further removed from it. You can barely call him Drax. But GoTG2 Drax is likeable.
>>
>>92814899

>Was he raped as a cub or something?

metaphorically, yes

he was abducted as an innocent creature, and had things forcefully put into him that took away his innocence
>>
>>92814814
Didn't he straight up call Gamora a whore to her face in the first film?
>>
>>92814975
See? You are just exaggerating that shit. He only laughs like a maniac in like 3 instances during the movie.
>>
>>92814991
He did, but didn't he do that because someone else called her a whore?
>>
>>92815028
Yeah, the prisoners were calling her a green whore when she entered the prison.
>>
File: Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Vol-2.jpg (382KB, 1600x800px) Image search: [Google]
Guardians-of-the-Galaxy-Vol-2.jpg
382KB, 1600x800px
Most charactes in GoG vol2 were worse than their first movie incarnations

>Drax is more retarded
>Rocket Raccoon's character suffered a regression
>baby groot was just an walking gag

Only Star-Lord, and arguably, Gamora were as good as they were in vol. 1
>>
the Guardians of the Galaxy movies are the only good movies Marvel studios have made in the past 5 years

I just hope they don't run it into the ground like they did everything else
>>
>>92815059
Starlord was not as good as he was in GotG1.
>>
>>92815059
>Yondu
>Nebula
>even fucking Kraglin
And Rocket was definitely better in the second one.
>>
>>92815012
I ain't exaggerating shit. I'm not the only one who's had the same complaint.
>>
>>92815109
You're the only retard that's claiming Drax was laughing at every line.
>>
>>92815059
I didn't care for Star Lord as much myself. The reveal behind his alter-ego at the end of the first film had far more emotional weight for me than anything he experienced in the sequel.
>>
>>92815125
>Unless you can name 10 instances of this it's false.
>>
>>92815167
>Not at every fucking line though. Drax was like a goddamn audience track.
Go ahead, little man. It shouldn't be hard to do so.
>>
>>92815093
>And Rocket was definitely better in the second one.

Gotta disagree. All of his humor fell flat in GotG 2 because his actions nearly killed the entire group and he didn't even care. In GotG he was a complete asshole, but he was balanced out by Groot and became a lovable scamp character.
>>
>>92815059
Yondu stole the fucking show, and Kurt Russel as always is great to watch. Star-Lord felt like a non-presence strangely, even though the movie was about his daddy issues. The movie starting out with a fucking baby groot dance scene really set the tone though and I think it fucked it up. It's not even as organic as the Star-Lord dance scene in the first one, it's just a big middle finger to everyone who isn't 8 and has an IQ above 90.
>>
MCU character assassinates everyone

Tony Stark goes from well-intentioned genius womanizer to snarky quiplord down on his luck

Hank Pym goes from a scientist with a vision of the future to snarky quiplord down on his luck

Starlord goes from occasionally sarcastic space badass to snarky quiplord down on his luck

Dr. Strange goes from sage constantly battling his inner demons to snarky quiplord down on his luck

Thor goes from the noble and honorable son of a god to a snarky quiplord down on his luck

Ultron goes from cold machine merciless violence combined with the ragings of a child to a snarky quiplord that becomes self-aware
>>
>>92815194
>Little man
Watch yourself, /fit/. /co/ don't like your kind around here.
>>
>>92815275
>m-muh quips

Your tears sustain Joss Whedon and lad only to your further suffering
>>
>>92815215
Rocket wasn't comic relief, that was Drax, his arc was about how he was afraid to open up to others and concealed this fact by acting like an asshole until Yondu tells him to stop being a faggot.

It was well done and gave him more depth and meaning to his interactions with the other Guardians.
>>
>>92815275
Characters are going to use humor, period, it's not even about "muh quip-lord" that you're sperging over, yeah Joss's incarnations really pushed it far, and GotG kind of has a tongue in cheek tone from the start, but there's going to be levity, period, suck it up princess. This isn't MoS or BvS that is DARK BROOODING and is universally hated and barely makes back its budget.
>>
>>92815285
Don't mix /fit/ into this shit just because you can't defend your shitty opinion.
>>
>>92815296
Can't wait for Quipseid.
>>
>>92814592
You're awfully sensitive, aren't you OP?

Everyone I know felt he improved in character depth. The only thing I would have liked was to see him kick more ass physically with his strength and demonstrate his durability further, though the start of film gave that a good try.
>>
>>92815093
Rocket was in-fucking-sufferable in the second one are you high? In the first one yeah he was a little asshole that played well off Groot's naivete but the first half 2 had me actively hating him and wishing someone would just punt him.
>>
>>92815230
Baby Groot was one of this movies greatest mistakes. murdering the character just because people liked the post-credits scene in the first movie.

James Gunn was trying so hard to fall into the public's embrace. it's pathetic.
>>
>>92815059
Gamora and Nebula were absolutely better than they were in GotG Volume 1. Peter was just as good.
>>
>>92815313
Rocket had plenty of "comedic" moments in the sequel.

>Every interaction with Baby Groot
>Muh tape
>The whole forced shit with taser face

After Drax and Groot he was the biggest comic relief by far.
>>
>>92815361
>but the first half 2 had me actively hating him and wishing someone would just punt him.

No, you're thinking of mini-Groot. He was the annoying piece of shit that you wished you could physically harm
>>
>>92814814
Drax thinks it's a good thing, though. Him and Mantis have a weird bromance right off the bat because they are both aliens who's lives are so far removed from the social norms of some of the other characters that they kind of get eachother.

They actually had some funny dialogue, unlike the shitty forced unripe vegetable meme... What the fuck was that even? Why were they trying to hard to make Gamora and her sister funny? That's what nearly ruined the movie.

Also the forced romance between Starlord and Gamora when she acts way more like an older sister towards him than a love interest. I hated that so much. They make no sense together.
>>
>>92815361
That's the whole point.

He's an insufferable prick so people wouldn't get close to him.
>>
>>92815340
Why the fuck should I defend an opinion you horse's ass? It's not like it's about vaccinations or Trump. Drax laughed too much. I felt it was detrimental to his character and used hyperbole to make my point. You don't feel the same way? Bully.
>>
>>92815386
Punt Rocket, feed mini-Groot into a wood chipper, holy FUCK someone should've slapped Gunn for having 3 big comedic baby-groot moments. 1 would be enough, 2, is fucking pushing it, but 3 it was just taking me out of the movie so hard that Yondu and Kurt were trying to carry. I'm not surprised there isn't a man from Marvel outside every showing with a stand selling baby groot action figures, so much pandering.
>>
>>92815385
>Mantis
>Kraglin
>the Ravagers
He was on par with Star-Lord when it came to being comic relief.
>>
>>92815296
>>92815338

ORANGE

SLICES

XDDDD
>>
>>92815452
>Why the fuck should I defend an opinion you horse's ass?
You are the one who keeps replying, you tell me.

>Drax laughed too much
Not true.
>>
File: tfw someone has orange slices.gif (517KB, 500x259px) Image search: [Google]
tfw someone has orange slices.gif
517KB, 500x259px
>>92815487
>>
>>92815487
One quip in Civil War vs. Whedon's quip-fest in Memes of Ultron is like night and day you fucking sperg, and I'm not defending Whedon dude is a fucking reddit-fueled hack.
>>
>>92815372
Peter felt like a background character for some reason even though the core of the plot revolved around him and Ego. It just feels like the plot is driving him whereas it was the opposite in the first film.
>>
>>92815393
>unlike the shitty forced unripe vegetable meme
Except that was one of the funny jokes.
>>
>>92815526
The other characters were just more interesting this time.

The escape scene was by far the best sequence in the movie.
>>
File: ecce_watcher.jpg (38KB, 250x300px) Image search: [Google]
ecce_watcher.jpg
38KB, 250x300px
>disney gets the rights to use the Watchers from Fox
>wastes them in one more stan lee gag

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 was a huge fucking mistake.
>>
>>92815526
Glad I'm not the only one who thought this. Star-Lord took a backseat and the plot, though about him, was entirely a skeleton to hang the real tissue on, baby Groot.
>>
File: IMG_4736.jpg (1MB, 1300x1300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4736.jpg
1MB, 1300x1300px
>first film it's established drax cares only for avenging his family
>drax takes part in killing ronin, mentions he must murder thanos next
>second film has nothing to do with thanos

Look, any team book has an arc where a character has little invested in the plot of the arc. Drax was only along for the ride, but served a key role in having Mantis realize how a true father feels about his family as opposed to how Ego felt about her.
>>
>>92815526
>Peter felt like a background character for some reason
I did't get that sense at all, what with the scenes between him and Ego in the 2nd act, and his struggle against Ego in the third. He felt like a pretty core part of the movie to me.
>>
>>92815230
Underappreciated post
Yondu completely stole the show.
>>
>>92815587
Funnily enough Nebula acted more than Drax than Drax has,
>>
>>92815580
Oh boo fucking hoo
>>
>>92815502
Because it's my opinion. That's the only answer you need. You're the one who keeps asking me to provide evidence and back up what should be a pretty simple fucking reason.
>>
>>92815580
Suddenly you're the Watchers fan, aren't you, reddit?
>>
>>92815634
I was reading comics before you were even born, kid.
>>
>>92815606
His fight with Ego is the only time he had the presence of a main character in the film. The rest of the time he's just along for the ride. I want him to be more proactive as the leader in the 3rd film. And thank fuck baby Groot will be gone. Not every Gang needs a Scrappy.
>>
>>92815631
Yes, I do because it's fucking wrong, but somehow you feel the need to sperg it out like it's a fact.
So, you bring evidence of shut the fuck up, shitstain.
>>
>>92814592
He told Ronan where they were at one point in the first movie so he could fight him - and failed super hard at it. He was always a single-minded autist.

But that's kind of the point: he's modeled after old fantasy style heroes with one goal that can be accomplished by hitting something really hard.
>>
>>92815659
And I was reading comics before your parents were even born, kid.
>>
>>92815608
Seriously, Yondu came into his own, I would fucking pay to see a film about just him being a ravager now.
>>92815587
Beautiful line delivery, I love Michael Rooker, he is the king of the villain with a heart of gold.
>>
>>92814592
it felt like they didn't know what to do with him
>>
What happened to the red Infinity Stone the Collector was holding for the Asgardians?

It's weird, with no mention of Thanos, the Stones or the wider MCU, GotG2 managed to somehow feel like a filler episode
>>
>>92815372
I just wish the emotional moments weren't so ham fisted. The whole theme of the movie was love and family yet literally everything was played for laughs save for Yondu's funeral.

I loved the visuals and the fun wild adventure instead of everything being depressing, but the emotional scenes and attempts at character development lacked a sense of emotional weight, leaving it a fun movie that felt really shallow and doesn't leave me with any lasting sense of connection to any of the characters.

And I say this as someone who enjoyed the dancing Groot intro.
>>
>>92815712
>muh stones
What a faggot.
>>
>>92815717
>And I say this as someone who enjoyed the dancing Groot intro.

>And I say this as literally Hitler.
>>
>>92815685
I'm pretty chill man. You're the one that started insulting first, and you're about to bring the aggression to another level. So why don't we both calm down and not lose it over a movie based on a comic book?

And don't use sperg, man. That ain't cool.
>>
>>92815717
>The whole theme of the movie was love and family yet literally everything was played for laughs save for Yondu's funeral.

>Nebula telling Gamora about how she wanted to have a sister was played for laughs
>Mantis feeling Drax' sadness was played for laughs
>Yondu telling Rocket how they are alike was played for laughs
>Ego revealing he killed Peter's mother was played for laughs
You're a special kind of retard.
>>
>>92815736
To be fair, Electric Light Orchestra can make any dish palatable.
>>
>>92815671
>The rest of the time he's just along for the ride
Not really. He and Rocket are the main focus during the fight with the Sovereign. I kind of get what you're talking about with the Ego's planet scenes, but that's for relevant plot-important reasons. He's enjoying weekend at Dad's house, he doesn't realize there is a "plot" to solve until he dinds out Ego is evil. There were still a significant amount of scenes with the focus on him, but the fact that he spends that time less dynamic than the other characters is in service to a larger idea in the story, and never made him feel like a "background character" to me.
>>
>>92815767
If you liked the Baby Groot intro and you're older than 7 then all your opinions are completely invalidated from now until the end of time because you're 100% retarded.
>>
>>92815750
>can't backup his shitty opinion
>l-let's be friends!!!
Don't start stupid claims in a discussion forum next time, faggot.
>>
>>92815671
Holy shit, you're so right, Baby-Groot was the fucking Scrabby of GotG2. No wonder he was so insufferable.
>>
>>92815786
He wasn't that guy is just claiming Peter was a background character because he found the other characters to be more interesting.
The whole story revolved around him and his relationship with Ego and Yondu.
>>
>>92815798
Prove it.
>>
>>92815526
I agree Star-Lord felt like a background character. He was just really passive with all the things going around him. Still, he and Nebula are the only characters who had any character development in this film
>>
>>92815617
I agree, it would have been better if they had more interaction so that way you could see they were the same sans support from the guardians
>>
File: 1433565149708.png (134KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
1433565149708.png
134KB, 256x256px
>>92815808
If stupid claims weren't allowed on 4chan, none of us would even be here. How long did you want to go on for trading pithy remarks, anyway?
>>
>>92815712
The stones were mentioned by Ego when he explained how he knew Peter was his long lost son. There wasn't any real reason for them to mention the rest of the MCU because they don't have much contact with it.

It bothered me more that Rocket nearly gets them killed by stealing batteries for literally no reason, and somehow this leads to Ego finding Peter? The writer was reaching way too far for plot devices to tie the different elements of the story together.

That said I was glad the golden bitches were a plot point because I think the arcade shooter fight was the best joke in the whole movie.
>>
>>92815845
Yeah, I guess I understand now, that just seems like bizarro logic to me. A main character is still a main character, even if they don't strike you as compelling enough. But whatever.
>>
>>92815848
You like a scene of a wooden Little Bag Planet Sackboy dancing around that does not service the plot in any way outside of "LOL OMG HE'S SO CUTE! BABY GROOT SQUEEEE :33333". Take it out and the movie can only become better because you have your 2 comedic Groot-set pieces, the jail cell and the hilarious don't push the button bit, which even 2 is 1 too many.
>>
>>92815903
I liked the Sovereign in the movie
>>
>>92815890
>pithy
Holy shit. When did we teleport to a mid-90's neo-noir? I thought you needed to have a mental age of 10 to use a five dollar word like that.
>>
>>92815761
>Nebula telling Gamora about how she wanted to have a sister was played for laughs

With a super cheesy sibling rivalry fight scene, complete with girly bitchy bullshit. I'm not saying the point of the scene was played for laughs, but that the whole thing was goofy as fuck. I get that this is a super hero movie that doesn't take it's self too seriously, but this movie laid on the comedic timing and self aware use of cheese ball tropes way too thick.

>Mantis feeling Drax' sadness was played for laughs
That was practically a non scene, it was so brief.

>Yondu telling Rocket how they are alike was played for laughs
If you teared up during that speech you're pathetic. I loved Yondu but come on, the whole situation was laughable. All the serious moments of the movie are written like they are in a story book for an eight year old.

Did you cry when Peter PacManed Ego?

You have the sensibilities of a young child easily moved by bad and predictable storytelling.
>>
>>92816069
Man, you're insults aren't even good anymore. Is this really where you wanna be dude? Just lobbing insults at some random stranger because they didn't meat your expectations. Is that really wear you want to be in life?

I made a few grammatical mistakes if you'd rather attack that than talk.
>>
>>92815903
>That said I was glad the golden bitches were a plot point because I think the arcade shooter fight was the best joke in the whole movie.
I liked that, because it felt like a counterpoint to the Sakaarans in the first movie, whose strategy was to just send waves and waves of disposable soldiers at the enemy, to then have a species that was so obsessed with itself andits sense of worth that they do all of their fighting with drones from the safety of their planet, and treat it just like a game.
>>
>it took millions of years for me to fully master my powers, son
>haha tough luck, I can fight you on even ground even though I just discovered my powers
>>
>>92816139
*your
>>
All the gotg got ruined but Rocket desu
>>
>>92816152
You're right, the movie would have been much more enjoyable it Ego had just snapped his fingers and blinked the Guardians out of existence and then effortlessly imprisoned Peter to use as a battery
>>
>>92816152
Gosh it's almost like it's a movie and things happened quickly as to service the plot so the good guys win in the end.
>>
>>92815798
Nah, I liked it as a silly way to reintroduce the characters and establish that GotG isn't the sort of cape movie that takes it's self too seriously. The action was good, Groot was cute, the music and visuals were great...

But I have a lot of misgivings about all the forced humor in the movie, and the campy-ness ending up being way too over he top. Just because I can like the least important scene in the movie for what it was doesn't mean that it sets the bar for my expectations regarding every other scene. They just didn't know when to stop, every scene had to have a joke or else be set up in a campy goofy ass way.
>>
I miss comic Quill when he wasn't just Chris Pratt in space spouting pop culture references
>>
>>92816192
Yeah, since the writers are just too lazy to come up with alternative plot devices, we should be content with whatever they throw at us, right?
>>
>>92816280
What would you have done differently then?

Remember that the movie must involve a big climactic battle with Ego as the antagonist.
>>
>>92816103
Not the guy you're replying to, but
>the requirement for a heavy or meaningful scene is "did you cry"
Special kind of autist.
>>
>>92816296
Honestly, it felt like Ego was really wasted. He was a great villain, they should have had the Guardians stop his spread and escape him, but have him live to fight another day. They made a Celestial into an easily beaten villain of the day.
>>
>>92814632
That's what I thought, too. This character is from an alien species where autism is the norm.
>>
>>92816152
>>92816192
>>92816216
I think the thing that got me most was
>"wanting friends is a flaw of your mortality"
>yet Ego genuinely loved his "riverlilly"
>an omnipotent being that created himself gained characteristics of mortals
>>
>>92814680
I hate Rocket. Comics, Cartoons, and movies. Fuck that walking pelt.
>>
>>92816316
No, but holy shit, how can that anon or any anon defend how stupid most of those scenes were? I just don't understand how that anon could be so bothered that I didn't think the character development was good. When you spend 95% of everyone's screen time on being zany and lighthearted it's kind of hard to take the 'touching' scenes seriously when they're clumsily interjected amid absurdity.

I just can't imagine how someone could be bothered by that opinion unless they are truly that easily manipulated by cues.
>>
>>92815761
He turns into David Hasslehoff in the middle of the scene
>>
this is one retarded thread
>>
>>92816496
Fucking thank you.
>>
>>92816505
It's actually several retarded threads, they're just all mashed together because it's early in the morning
>>
>>92816477
There were a lot of dumb scenes, yeah.

>haha xd turds
>no press this button xd xd

I think most of the development came in the last 20 minutes though. It's up to Vol 3 whether or not they really meant anything.
>>
>>92816513
This is for the best. It's normal for people to want to discuss a recent movie, and it's obnoxious when /co is flooded by threads that all start with one anon's opinion and then derail into general discussion anyhow. In that way this thread isn't so retarded, just self-contained.
>>
>>92816538
I'm really bothered that you'd be gathering wood for winter that same autumn. Wood needs time to cure before you can use it i a fireplace or stove. I thought that was common sense.
>>
>>92815059

>drax is more retarded

we get the full extent of his personality now that the need for revenge is gone from the first movie. yes, he's definitely more goofy, but given the heavier route the other characters make, his character arc with mantis was actually kind of sweet.that moment with mantis where he reminisces about his wife and child...fucking gold. the entire time, he has been sincere and literal, so when we see him be sweet...we know its fucking real.

>rocket raccoon's character suffered a regression

nigga are you kidding? it makes sense that there is some growing pains with rocket and his new family mainly because groot is not the same groot from the first movie. he can't fall back to groot and he cant quite handle the responsibility he has with this new family. his back and forth with yondu was fucking gold.

in the end of the first movie, rocket still questions why stealing is wrong, beginning of the second movie, he steals some fucking batteries for no fucking reason. he realizes he fucked up because now he put people he cares about and who care about him at risk, but doesn't know how to process it so he rather would push away. yondu comes in and they have a terrific back and forth and bam, rocket has an arc.

>only star-lord, and arguably, Gamora were as good as they were in vol. 1

im going to agree with star-lord. dude had to go through some heavy lifting and I'm going to argue that he should have had a bit of a struggle in coming to terms with what his father actually did....because that nigga went 0 to 100 real quick. that was just a fucking fast 180 on him.

i came out actually caring about Gamora and Nebula a lot more than i did in GotG vol 1. whereas i dont necessarily buy her struggle with thanos as it is presented in vol. 1, i totally get it when nebula comes into in the picture and their relationship is fleshed out more. Where i didn't totally buy their sibling relationship, i totally get it in this movie. so that's better.
>>
>>92815215

>he didn't care

jesus he did care. he just would rather run away than own up to it because he literally has never had to do that before. did we not see the great interaction with yondu?
>>
>>92816401
Did you miss the whole speech about visiting her three times and then giving her the tumor because he knew if he went a fourth he'd be just like Starlord is now. He realized the mortality and rejected it.
>>
>>92814936
>Did you miss the heartfelt moment where Yondu explicitely spells out why Rocket is an asshole, because they're both assholes for the same reason?

We know why is who he is (ex Kree slave turned ravager turned exile) but we don't know how Rockets past has made him such an asshole.
>>
>>92815708
If Peter doesn't use the Infinity Gauntlet to resurrect Yondu in the big crossover, I will be sad. He was the best character
>>
>>92815736
Not him, but I'm a sucker for "main action is obscured by focusing on side characters" as a trope. Ecerything else with baby Groot was still shit.
>>
>>92815736
Not him, but I'm a sucker for "main action is obscured by focusing on side characters" as a trope. Ecerything else with baby Groot was still shit.
>>
Considering the whole movie was about daddy issues, I'm surprised Drax, the only one on the team who has ever actually BEEN a dad, didn't have any useful input to the Ego situation outside of "I used to tell my daughter the details of how her mother and I fucked". Seems like a bit of a wasted opportunity, honestly.
>>
Terrible film
>>
>>92817529
That was in the first movie. Did you forget when they were drunk fighting and Rocket said he never asked to be made?
Or even earlier in the prison when Quill sees all those implants all over Rocket's body?
>>
>>92814592

the whole movie felt forced appart from some bits that could've worked if they didn't try to force the family issue on every character.

Nebulas whole motivation felt forced as fuck and her change of heart came out of nowhere, Yondu would have worked in a more subtle way but subtle was not this movies forte to begin with and Rocket played an unnecessary part in the whole thing given how he actually accepted the rest of the guardians as friends in the first movie. Drax had only two genuine scenes, one when he was alone with Mantis and the other where he screamed "where is Quill?!" this scene specially worked well dramatically because they didn't shove a joke 20 seconds in, also worked in the context of both movies, one of really few genuine emotional scenes, everything else was ruined by an unbalanced mix of quips/jokes and cheesy written soap opera tier drama.

Another really emotional scene that worked well was as Yondus men were getting killed infront of him, yet it was ruined by Rockets presence.

There is a lot of potencial in this movie and Gunn is a decent director who got to do a really great movie yet you can feel Feiges/the mouse presence in any attempt to make the second movie more family friendly like with the Russos. The most obvious proof being baby Groots existence, the comic relief character in a movie were almost everyone was turned into a comic-realief character.
>>
>>92814693
maybe, while hanging out with the team, he has picked up some more human habits. fuck you guys are a buncha shitlords.
>>
>/co/ doesn't understand the point of baby Groot

Please never have children
>>
>>92814592
The Star Wars OT cast
>>
>>92814592
Drax, Groot and Rocket were kind of annoying desu
>>
>>92815215
Rocket is essentially a horribly abused child who was never given love or comfort his entire life. He has massive emotional issues that result in him being afraid to be close to people. He was an asshole in the second movie because suddenly he's surrounded by people who are more or less his friends and he doesn't know how to deal with it.
>>
>>92815587
Whoa. I didn't catch the father part with Drax and Manta, just the feeling of loss and sadness.

Good fucking eye anon.
>>
>>92814631
>Flanderized

Came in to post this. It's how I felt about literally every returning character in the film except maybe Yondu. Granted it's a great lightshow with some real visual flair, but does that really matter if the writing's shit?
>>
>>92828565
>I didn't pay attention

That's okay, I guess the pretty lights distracted you too much.
>>
>>92815059
Star-Lord was terrible in this. That line "you killed my mom and squished my Walkman" sums it up perfectly, he was reduced to a self-absorbed retard in this film.
>>
>>92828631
Why the fuck would he not be pissed about Ego destroying the last remaining connection he has to his mother? Ego squishing his walkman is basically killing her all over again, right in front of him. God you are thick.
>>
>>92828624
>My personality is so invested in being a fan of things my only contribution to differing opinions is ad-hominem snark

Almost every returning character was reduced to one or two of their more annoying personality traits. If you didn't pick up on this almost instantly, you obviously don't pay much attention in general. These aren't "characters" any more. They don't behave like real people. They just follow a pattern of activity congruent with what audiences would find familiar from the first film, back when they were actual characters - in this they became almost like the animatronics at Disneyland. I've heard people say that this film was effectively treading water until Gunn has more creative freedom following Infinity War, and I can see that 100%. The finale is a planet exploding, an entire fleet of ships gets wiped out, and yet it's of absolutely zero consequence to the development of the characters or the narrative. We're expected to feel sad because they killed off effectively the most disposable member of the supporting cast, which is just cheap and manipulative.
>>
>>92828674
Gee, I dunno, maybe because he just found out his father killed his mother, and is planning on destroying the universe AND the only thing he has left resembling a family? Emotionally "you squished my Walkman" just doesn't fit a scenario that severe and only someone with no understanding of human emotion couldn't wrap their head around why.
>>
File: 1381107530552.jpg (75KB, 550x449px) Image search: [Google]
1381107530552.jpg
75KB, 550x449px
The movie really did feel like it focused more on comedy when it shouldn't. It should've taken itself a bit more seriously considering a lot of the themes that were brought up. Some of the jokes really take you out the movie. Like the opening scene with a fight against an interdenominational being but all we see is Baby Groot, Ego turning into David Hasselhoff right after he confessed to killing his mom, Peter turning into Pac-Man during a god fight, the whole tape/button part, but nothing was worse than the Taser Face/Baby Groot escape. That part took any tension there was out of the scene. That's the movie's main problem is that at no time is there any tension or sense of urgency.

The soundtrack was a bit off for me too. Like characters listening to Peter's music despite him not being there just because they wanted a music number. It's still fine movie I guess, not as good as the first, but it's just that same play it safe Marvel formula.
>>
>>92828931
>The finale is a planet exploding, an entire fleet of ships gets wiped out, and yet it's of absolutely zero consequence to the development of the characters or the narrative

Thanks for confirming yet again that you didn't pay attention.
>>
>>92828981
>Emotionally "you squished my Walkman" just doesn't fit a scenario that severe and only someone with no understanding of human emotion couldn't wrap their head around why.

No, you're just autistic if you can't wrap your head around what Quill's walkman means to him. That line is immediately preceded by his warm thoughts of his mother and his surrogate family.
>>
>>92829109
Again, right back in your face.

Please, explain what the characters learned or how they developed in any significant way from their experiences in this film besides Gamora and Nebula giving each other a hug. I'll wait.
>>
>>92829170
If it meant that much to him it'd be locked in a hermetically-sealed vault.
>>
Wow, OP must be a no-life, no-friends closet sperg who thinks people can't be influenced by others and knowledge is an incorruptible force that doesn't change how people think or act.
>>
>>92829198
>Sometimes, that thing you're searching for your whole life is right there by your side all along, and you don't even know it.

I won't waste time arguing with someone who can't grasp how Peter's father(s) dying affects his character development.
>>
>>92829104
This, there is no tension or consequence in this film. The first managed to pull off both of those while having an unmemorable boilerplate villain.

This film managed to have a memorable villain, but no tension or consequence.
>>
>>92829229
Not that anon but,holy shit are you actually autistic. He keeps it close to him all the time even in the first movie it's shown that that's not a smart move
>>
>>92814905
I think he did it 10 times just before the opening scene was over or even in the Mantis scene was over than 10 times.
>>
>>92829315
>The most exhausted trope in ensemble movie-making

It was never shown. Just speaking some words at the end of a film doesn't magically justify its previous content. Maybe try Offret if you want to see what a real character study looks like.
>>
>>92829198
Quill learned to love his surrogate father and got over his abandonment issues. Rocket learned he really does have a family thst won't abandon him any more than he would abandon him. Mantis learned that her "father" was an asshole and betrayed him, moving away from him and becoming her own person and adopting a new family. Gamora and Nebula reconciled and accepted that despite everything they are still family. Groot became the child of the whole group instead of just Rocket's. Drax had the least development but seems to associate Mantis with his dead child.

The whole movie is about family. How did you miss it?
>>
>>92829315
they are more or less the same as they were when the movie started, you could skip GotG and watch Infinite wars and character-wise you wouldn't realize any difference save for Gamora but only when Nebula is around.
>>
>>92829402
The whole movie that precedes it is showing it you daft idiot. Jesus, you really didn't pay attention did you? No attempt to look cultured is gonna save you any face here.
>>
>>92827698
I might be giving it too much credit, but it was right after that when she realized that Ego was definitely in the wrong. She had been isolated and just assumed that Ego's actions were totally normal.

I totally get where people say Drax was practically a gag character, but his character had nothing invested in this story other than the occasional battle. I'll be mad if he's still a joke when Thanos is involved.
>>
>>92815903
Ego was already looking for Peter because of the events of the first movie, the fact that he got to him right then was just a happy coincidence
>>
>>92814592
thankfully comic Drax is a completely different thing
>>
>>92829696
Modern Drax is just Kratos with the serial numbers filed off, which isn't much better.
>>
>>92816496
After Peter established that as a kid he dreamed of a famous celebrity being his secret dad, too busy being cool to be with him

Ego was cruelly mocking his parenthood fantasies. Sure, you might go "ah, it's actually Hasslehoff!" but it wasn't for laughs
>>
File: 1365302047344.jpg (226KB, 600x474px) Image search: [Google]
1365302047344.jpg
226KB, 600x474px
>>92829104
Couldn't agree more Anon. No moment in the film was allowed to just breathe - comedy had to be shoehorned in every few seconds. Pac-Man and Hasslehoff were the most egregious for me, but even small stuff didn't get it's chance. For instance, when theres the team line up shot and Mantis gets hit with a rock is supposed to be "funny", and mocking the Super-hero line up, but doesn't work in the middle of a climactic battle against a fucking living planet that murdered Pete's mom. Save it for some other section at the beginning of the movie if you want to do that.

Beyond that, I felt like they just phoned in random cliches that took me out of the movie. The Generic "I believe in you Mantis!" which allows her to put Ego to sleep (even if again, they turn it into a joke a few seconds later), the "No, we're family" line, the "Let me explain to you exactly why you're an asshole Rocket."
>>
>>92829810
Then why not have Hasslehoff play the roll of Ego? That would've made sense since he's appealing to childhood fantasies. Or maybe have Peter say Kurt Russel was his dad? The cameo was to get a laugh out of the audience because "Hey kids, it's David Hasslehoff"
>>
>>92829810
Forgot to mention, he turns into David while complaining that he tried really hard to find a form that could fit the idea of "cool dude" of the time, to be the (superficially) perfect dad, basically revealing all those sculptures of his '70s self were a all a farse, if it wasn't obvious already
>>
>>92830021
Explain to me how he could know about Peter's fantasies without meeting him first

Also
>Kids
>Knowing Hasselhoff
>>
>>92830081
>Explain to me how he could know about Peter's fantasies without meeting him first

Then how did he know to turn into Hasslehoff? The point is that it was meant to be a joke if they wanted to play it straight those were two options.

>Also
>>Kids
>>Knowing Hasselhoff
That was just a reference to Jay and Silent Bob
>>
>>92830147
I honestly don't remember when Peter revealed it to Gamora. If it was on the planet he was most likely spying on them. Or did Peter mention it to him too? I can't fucking remember

I'm not saying it wasn't a reference and shit, doesn't mean the scene has no purpose
>>
>>92830021
>Then why not have Hasslehoff play the roll of Ego?

Because that defeats the whole point?
>>
>>92830238
>I honestly don't remember when Peter revealed it to Gamora. If it was on the planet he was most likely spying on them. Or did Peter mention it to him too? I can't fucking remember

The only thing I'm saying is that it could've been played straight. Instead they went for the quick gag which is a huge problem the movie has

>I'm not saying it wasn't a reference and shit, doesn't mean the scene has no purpose
It takes you out of the scene. Revelations that Peter's dad is a psycho murderer but we need to stop for a joke

>>92830242
How? Having Hasslehoff appear to Peter would work fine in the context of the movie. He wants to appeal to his child like sense of what a father should look and act like so why not go all out? That way you get the Hasslehoff joke when you first meet the character but played straight that scene wouldn't lose any tension
>>
>>92828931
>These aren't "characters" any more. They don't behave like real people. They just follow a pattern of activity congruent with what audiences would find familiar from the first film, back when they were actual characters - in this they became almost like the animatronics at Disneyland.
Elaborate? I don't see any difference in their portrayals. They still have their own personalities, arcs and inner conflicts.
>>
>>92830379
It defeats the point because the point was there was no real Ego, as he could appear in any form. If they decided to cast David as him they still would've gotten another dude to show he could look like anyone
>>
>>92823282
Too late faggot
>>
>>92830459
>It defeats the point because the point was there was no real Ego, as he could appear in any form.
They say multiple times that Russel isn't his true form is is basically an illusion, the fact that he chose to look like Hasselhoff for Peter would only strengthen that. And if that doesn't please you have a literally who play Ego when he was with his mom. There are many ways to play it straight and make it work
>>
>>92830661
Anon if Hasslehoff played Ego then Peter's dream dad would have been Kurt Russell.
>>
>>92829501
>Mantis learned that her "father" was an asshole
She already knew this. It was her who warned Drax and Gamora about Ego's nature.

>Rocket learned he really does have a family thst won't abandon him any more than he would abandon him
Rocket had this same development in the first movie, James gunn just ignored it

The only characters who had any development were Star Lord and Nebula.
>>
>>92814592
>Going from calling the big bad too early for selfish reasons and almost getting everyone killed to making jokes at peoples expense.
>More of a dick

Nah man, you're retarded, Drax was great.
>>
>>92814656
>>
>>92831001
I meant in the context of making the movie have either Russel or Hasslehoff be his dream dad. It keeps with the tone and there's no need for the awkward joke during the reveal.
>>
>>92831054
If this ins't bait you're a faggot. I bet you liked baby groot too.
>>
>>92831016
Betraying Ego and siding with the Guardians was a big step.

Rocket is emotionally broken and never has had real friends before. Abandonment issues make people lash out and be emotionally unstable and losing Groot mark 1 had to be traumatic. It's not surprising he still had some growing up to do it the second movie.
>>
>>92831193
He's intentionally presented as Kurt Russell (but not really) all along from the moment of his conception of biological life to meeting Meredith to looking aged when he finds Peter. The moment where he changes into Hoff is when it's revealed that he can be anything he wants and chose this form to please Peter, mocking his childhood fantasy as he scolds him. Having Peter's dream dad be Ego's actor all along would destroy that and completely change how the audience and Peter views Ego from the start.
>>
>>92814592
First movie
>DnA Drax with some quirky and humor bits
Second Movie
>Jim Sterling's Drax circa Infinity Watch

You say "ruined", I say "fixed".
>>
>>92815422

for some reason people keep forgetting this when the movie outright SPELLS IT OUT in a scene so expository it shouldn't work but does because Rooker and Cooper are great fucking actors.
>>
>>92831857
>He's intentionally presented as Kurt Russell (but not really) all along from the moment of his conception of biological life to meeting Meredith to looking aged when he finds Peter. The moment where he changes into Hoff is when it's revealed that he can be anything he wants and chose this form to please Peter, mocking his childhood fantasy as he scolds him.

No it's not. It's revealed that he can do that as soon as he talks about his backstory. He mentions that he is the planet to the group multiple times before and enforces that with his origin story slide show. In fact that slide show already raises red flags as is. He says "I molded my self to be human" but goes on to say he'd never seen sentient life until he found that clearly not human alien race. So there's no point in keeping that fact secret

> Having Peter's dream dad be Ego's actor all along would destroy that and completely change how the audience and Peter views Ego from the start.

It would actually stop some of those red flags. He's upfront with what he is and he's an awkward alien trying to appease to his long lost son. It makes Ego seem like less of a threat and would make the reveal from father trying too hard to crazy celestial have more of an impact
>>
>>92814905
>>92815125
>>92815194

Not >>92829396 but easily done M8

Disclaimer, I don't think the character is total shit. They are setting up small exposition about the wide variety of cultures in cosmic lore. I love that as an oldfag, but the LCD appeal in the writing method kills me inside more than I love the lore.

>1:Solo kill the beast/ dance scene. Just to much with combined Groot drag intro.

>2: Stealing batteries jokes with rocket

>3: During escape (twice I believe, but i only have to do ten, so that will be one time counted) Drax shit joke Gramora joke

>4:after escape referring o rockets status

>5:Campfire talk (again at least twice, but ill consider it a continued dialog like chase scene)

>6: Mantis encounter sleep aid and love cringe scene of death. Featuring Meme lord and BlackedMora.

>7: Copulation with father talk

>8: scene with Mantis ( Although midway through there was serious character flushed out and his culture was expanded upon a little bit in his explanation, like I said that was actually tasteful and well done)

>8: Nebula Gramora interaction crituqe. As well as Dialog with Rocket

>9: Final fight scene dialog on ship and in fight with EGO core. (althgouh more focused on quill)

> and 10 : Not ugly on the inside (although another cultural referrer on how he sees love inside more than outside. Much like dancing.

There. Im sure if I got a transcript there would be more opportunities. But im just an oldfag with time to burn.
>>
My boi here, made him smile and feel like he coukd fit in with the rest of humanity, then they tool away his smile
>>
File: Internet police.png (408KB, 957x339px) Image search: [Google]
Internet police.png
408KB, 957x339px
>>92814592
Drax was arguably the best part of that film, so maybe go fuck yourself faggot.
>>
>>92833417
>best part
Every time he laughed loudly and the film expected us to laugh back I cringed a little bit more.
>>
>>92816069
>Being this much of a faggot on 4chan

wew
>>
>>92833417
Go be an underage somewhere else.
>>
>>92833417
>Anon's Bookmarks: Reddit, 9gag, [s4s], Know Your Meme
>>
>>92831857
"chose this form to please Peter, mocking his childhood fantasy"

Do you mean the Kurt Russell form? Because he's that form in the flashbacks - he didn't choose it to make Peter happy. And if you mean Hoff, he didn't choose that to please Peter either - IF anything, it was done to mock him, but I can't remember if Quill even told Ego about the Hoff fantasy, or if he only told Gamora.

Either way, you're trying to read more into what was clearly a forced joke Anon.
>>
>>92835450
How can one person actually be this retarded?
Thread posts: 195
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.