[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Now that the dust has settled, are you happy that Eddie's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 121
Thread images: 9

File: Venom_150_Cover-768x1181.jpg (293KB, 768x1181px) Image search: [Google]
Venom_150_Cover-768x1181.jpg
293KB, 768x1181px
Now that the dust has settled, are you happy that Eddie's back as Venom?
>>
File: venom in the park.jpg (87KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
venom in the park.jpg
87KB, 500x500px
>>92807166
>>
>>92807166
Fuck no.
>>
Sure, whatever, it's all worth Brock getting back to MvC.
>>
No. I actually wanted to see what Sasuke would do next and I want Flash back.
>>
>>92807166
As a casualfag who has barely read comics, even I can see how much of a massive character derailment it is for a guy who intentionally sold the symbiote to get rid of it and almost killed himself out of guilt of what he'd done during his time as Venom. Not to mention Anti-Venom and the period where he tried to kill Symbiotes in the name of God.

But nope. Muh love story. Muh atheism. Muh return to the old status quo.
>>
>>92807166
Heck no, it brought both Eddie and Venom back twenty years at least in terms of derailment, the steps that it took to get here were retarded, and the story is kinda shit so far.

Flash Venom was fresh at least for the most part, I didn't want it going back to Eddie since I knew they'd immediately do basically this in the dumbest ways. Then the hype would be dead in a few weeks and all we'd be left with was a much shittier story that kinda broke all the development both characters have had for a cheap quick story to cash in.

Only issue with Flash Venom is that it went to shit due to Bendis. It had a pretty good flow to it before Bendis happened. But even disregarding that, the reason Flash Venom was decent is because it had to be something new, they couldn't just status quo it easily. While Eddie Venom can only be something old, it can only teleport them both back to an old status quo by writers who really don't give a shit. There's nothing that interesting about it other than "iconic". I just really can't see them doing anything fresh with it, its just a quick cash in that'll wear off.
>>
Nope.

Mulling it over and hearing some defenses from some die hard shills, I can see why they're making arguments for it, IE, Brock is someone who's addicted to power, as much as he hates to admit it, but instead of showing Brock struggling with relapsing into this addiction, he suddenly loves the symbiote again for absolutely no reason.

Bring back Flash
>>
>>92810503
Fuck you Flash fags with a razor dildo.

Making Flash Venom (and a Punisher rip-off too) and a hero? You don't fucking know how much god-damn retarded that is.

If you are going to have Flash become Venom, the ONLY ONLY ONLY logical reason to do so is to basically make Flash an axe crazy mass murderer/psycho stalker for Peter to beat the shit out of.

There is NO OTHER FUCKING REASON TO DO SO.

With the bullshit they did with Flash Venom, they might as well have just given the symbiote to Punisher. Or a generic Punisher-rip off (Americop, Solo, Foolkiller).

You don't put a brain eating Peter Parker hating symbiote on Flash fucking Thompson and NOT fucking have him go on a reign of terror that makes what Harry Osborn did when he was evil, look like romper room. Why the fuck do it if you don't use it to have Flash's hate boner for Peter go into overdrive and taken to the natural conclusion?
>>
>>92812318
>is to basically make Flash an axe crazy mass murderer/psycho stalker for Peter to beat the shit out of.
That's really dumb, that's literally just asking for a rehash of old Venom because you can't think of anything else. Its just a poor copy of old venom's basic structure, when the entire point of Flash Venom was to try something new with the symbiote.

>Yes yes that's exactly what I mean, I want old venom only. Only this concept works
fuck off then, that's not what Flash Venom was.

Flash Venom did what Eddie never did, and made the symbiote feel more like a character on its own. Rather than just a clinger on to Peter and jilted lover that got old. It wasn't just "we" it was "us", it was Flash and Venom interacting more as individuals sometimes. Two broken people who kinda needed each other since no one else would take them, they both wanted that feeling of being needed, but they also wouldn't abandon each other.
>>
>>92812318

They made Flash Venom for the exact opposite reason you mentioned.

They wanted a neutered heroic Venom and Flash was the quickest way to do so. Yeah, it sucks they ignored the plot point of Flash having a history of hating Peter as much as the costume did, but they were wanting to pander to the fans who wanted a 100% heroic Venom without losing the merch money they could make out of having a reverse color scheme Venom in Anti-Venom.

As for why they made Flash look like a Punisher clone? Probably due to the fact that Flash became Venom around the same time that Marvel re-exiled Punisher back to the Max line.
>>
>>92812463
Venom hasn't stalked Peter in AGES and more to the point, Flash knows Peter and his friends/family personally, meaning he can fuck them up and then some in ways Eddie never could.

And more to the point, it would have made for a better long-term arc for Slott's book AND offer a far far far better set-up for Superior Spider-Man (Otto and Peter have to team up to kill the symbiote; Flash mortally wounds Otto and Peter makes a unilateral decision to mind-swap with Otto so he can complete the device, which in turn allows Otto to beat Venom AND become the new Spider-Man in a manner that prevents fans from hating Otto from day one)
>>
No. Costa's writing is shit and this is coming from somebody that really enjoyed his G.I. Joe work.
>>
>>92812723
But then you make Otto likeable and that defeats one of the central elements of Superior Spider-Man in that Otto is unlikeable and evil and you cheer him on as he hijacks Peter's life.

But >>92812523 is right. Flash as Venom was hackery to create a good guy Venom without even tryng to make the concept work from a character standpoint.
>>
>>92812318
>>92812723
You realize Flash hasn't had a problem with Peter for years, right? He was a jerk and bully to him in high school but that's it. They made up and have been friends for a long time. He doesn't have a hateboner for Peter and has no reason to fuck up his life. I'm starting to doubt you actually read comics.
>>
>>92812318
>>92812723
I remember you. You posted this same shit in some Venom/symbiote-related thread months ago. It was stupid then and it's stupid now.
>>
>>92807166
Not at all.
>>
>>92807166
Yeah for the design alone. Im so happy people hate it too.
>>
>>92807166
No. I miss Anti-Venom and Remender Flash Venom.
>>
>>92807166
Too late, the symbiote already belongs to Sasuke.
>>
>>92813748
That was honestly the right path for both.
>>
>>92807166
Yeah, but I don't trust Costa with it.

I couldn't give a shit about muh character continuity because it's been a joke for decades, but I doubt Costa will be able to keep it consistent even within his own story.

Still, Marvel is bringing one of its popular characters back to the basics at least visually and that's a good thing. And Brick is still
the Venom. Flash was only good for the brief period when Remender was writing him. Once shitters like Bunn and Bendis laid their hands on Venom, it instantly became damaged goods.
>>
File: 200w_d.gif (192KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
200w_d.gif
192KB, 200x200px
>>92808281
this guy gets it
>>
>>92807166
No, not at the cost of Mike Costa writing it.
>>
>>92812318
>ou are going to have Flash become Venom, the ONLY ONLY ONLY logical reason to do so is to basically make Flash an axe crazy mass murderer/psycho stalker for Peter to beat the shit out of.

That's literally the only thing you could conceive that is worth doing with the character?
Congratulations. You have zero creativity of any kind.
>>
>>92812318
>>92812723
You haven't actually read a comic since Superior started, have you?

You don't know that Flash has been best buds with Pete since the early 70s?
>>
>>92812318
yes, god forbid people try out something new and maybe even interesting with characters that have been written the same way for nearly 15 years!
>>
It pretty much went as badly as I expected it to because Costa is a retard that doesn't care, but hey at least Flash didn't die, Venom just ran away from him one day after he got hit by too much sound.
>>
>>92807166
No. As-is its bad for Eddie and bad for the Symbiote. now we're gonna get another three decades of Eddie being a hapless madman and the symbiote being a corruptive force of evil that 'just can't help itself'

reverting things to the status quo of the 90's cartoon is never a good idea
>>
>>92807166
No
>>
Wtf happened to Anti-Venom?

How is Brock Anti AND Venom?
>>
>>92822223
>Wtf happened to Anti-Venom?
So you haven't read a single comic since at least 2011, huh? Anti-Venom died back in Spider-Island.

>How is Brock Anti AND Venom?
Uhh... he isn't.

Try actually reading a comic.
>>
>>92822223
Anti Venom has been dead for a long time. Killed when Reed Richards needed to extract all of the anti venom cells from Eddie to make a cure during Spider Island. Eddie became Toxin after that, was a villain for Flash Venom for a while, became a US government agent and pursued Carnage and now he's back to being Venom.
>>
>>92807166
No, its the least possible imagination, give it to virtually anyone else ffs.
Doom, ghost rider, aunt may, i dont care.
All stories with brock venom has already been written
>>
>>92812318
>If you are going to have Flash become Venom, the ONLY ONLY ONLY logical reason to do so is to basically make Flash an axe crazy mass murderer/psycho stalker for Peter to beat the shit out of.

Please never write comics. Not even Bendis is this bad.
>>
>>92807166
Nope. The whole thing has been awful.
>>
>>92807172
Who is Venom carrying over his shoulder?
>>
Moore really nails the whole "Liquid Being" thing.
But the whole jilted lovers is kinda gah.
Ultimately there's nothing telling me why Brock should be back.
Same way why there's nothing keeping Flash with the suit.

Venom's creative control has no idea what to do with him at this stage.
We might as well have Flash and Brock fight for it because there's nothing happening with it.
>>
>>92822367
What tipped you off, the question asking about what happened, or the other question asking about what happened to Brock?

I can see how those might confuse someone
>>
>>92807166
I think...I think I actually hated this issue more than the the preceding ones with the sasuke edgelord.

I mean, those were bad, but this shat all over continuity and Brock's character. At least the other stuff was shit with new characters.
>>
>>92807166
I just don't give the slightest fuck about Eddie Brock.
>>
>>92825266
Both. Its painfully clear you don't actually read comics.
>>
>>92825242
Alright hear me out
guys
guys hear me
guys OK hear me out
guys

Venom
Hulk
>>
>>92812318
The symbiote didn't know Peter was Spider-Man when Flash had it. Thank OMD.
>>
>>92825331
It's painfully clear that's all you have.
>>
>>92825349
That was an issue even before Flash had it. It didn't know who Spider-Man was when it was bonded to Gargan either, as shown in New Ways To Die.
>>
>>92825369
Says the anon who hasn't read a single comic since 2011, at least.

If you did, you'd know what the deal with Anti-Venom was.
>>
>>92807166
All characters must be the same as they were when they were most popular or what people remember as iconic. This is why people keep pushing high school Spider-Man, or Jean Grey Phoenix stories, or endlessly rehashing Apocalypse. Venom is getting hit hard with the status quo stick right now. Can't wait to read Lethal Protector 2.0 where it's all the same shit I read twenty years ago but worse.
>>
It was a terrible decision. At the end of Venom Space Knight it was clear that Flash wouldn't be able to keep the symbiote/klyntar for much longer, but giving the klyntar back to Eddie was just a retarded way of patching things up.

Not only that, but also the way he gets it back was annoying; Having Spidey trick the klyntar into detaching itself from that psycho just so that Eddie could capture him was a very lazy way of going back to the Status Quo.

What bothers me the most, is that this is a clear sign that Marvel is desperately trying to pander to nostalgic guys who haven't read a comic in years and only loosely remember the things they saw as kids.

There are things Marvel SHOULD go back to, like how the All-New Guardians of the Galaxy are a way of making the characters be like they were before Bendis got his hands on the book (Something like Guardians of Infinity did). But other stories are just done for, like Eddie having the symbiote, there's nothing new you can write with those characters.
>>
>>92826006
>like how the All-New Guardians of the Galaxy are a way of making the characters be like they were before Bendis got his hands on the book
I'm pretty sure the Guardians didn't behave like retarded dudebros before Bendis.
>>
>>92826283
In that issue they were acting as bounty hunters, not as dudebros.

Granted, it would be much more epic if they were like in War of Kings, but they'd need a good writer for that.
>>
>>92812723
The thing about Venom is that, no matter who wears the suit, Marvel won't allow them to hurt Peter's family.

You really think after One More Day, they'll let anything happen to Spider-man's classic supporting cast? At best, they'll just invent a new character for him to kill. But even then, Eddie's code of ethics prevents him from doing that.

Unless they craft a new status quo for Venom, I don't see how this ongoing can keep going 6 issues past Venomverse.
>>
>>92825894
Uh, yeah. Says me. That's sort of the point, which went right over your head.

Marvel isn't all comics, nor is Spiderman all of Marvel.

Are you underaged?
>>
>>92825951
>Venom is getting hit hard with the status quo stick right now.

But Costa's story was never status quo.
>>
>>92827070
>Marvel isn't all comics
>Spiderman

Get the fuck out, moviefag.
>>
>>92827059
>You really think after One More Day, they'll let anything happen to Spider-man's classic supporting cast?

Yes? Harry hardly has any presence in the book at all. MJ is basically gone (and when she shows up, Slott just writes her as a complete cunt), Gwen is still dead. Flash has been absent from ASM for years now. Liz Allen hardly shows up. Debra Whitman hasn't been seen in about a decade. The list goes on and on.

Outside of Aunt May, nearly all of Peter's classic supporting cast have been written out of the book/to the background or are in character limbo.

The vast majority of the ASM supporting cast is Slott's own OCs.
>>
>>92826737
that's another thing, I don't remember the old Guardians being bounty hunters. Not at all.

And yeah, they were acting like the most rancid dudebros, especially Quill.
>>
>>92827342
Brainlet triggered.
>>
>>92827488
When I said classic, I meant "everyone who showed up in the 90's cartoon who isn't Uncle Ben".

Also if you think they'll do anything to Mary Jane, even after how Slott treats her, you'd better think twice.
>>
>>92827624
>When I said classic, I meant "everyone who showed up in the 90's cartoon who isn't Uncle Ben".

...and that differs from what I said how?

Oh right, you don't actually read comics. Got it.
>>
>>92827516
I didn't think Quill was acting like a dudebro in that issue. He barely had any important lines compared to the others.

I guess they just don't know what to do with them as a group atm. Even the recent Rocket #1 issue felt more like a classic than All-New GotG, so I kind of see what you mean.
>>
>>92827652
Even if they don't pop up in Spider-man, the other characters appear in other books like Ironman, Howard the Duck, Sill, etc. They've become almost as iconic as Spider-man himself, so I doubt they'll be carted off anytime soon.

Also, Harry's had a decent amount of appearances in the main Spider-man book. That's a lot more than "Hardly".
>>
>>92828068
*Silk
>>
>>92828068
Yeah, didn't Norman even try to get Harry to be by his side when he was attacking one of the Parker Industries reunions?
>>
>>92828068
>Howard The Duck
>Silk
>Part of Spider-Man's "classic supporting cast"

Get the fuck out casual scum.
>>
>>92807166
Making Eddie a symbiont again is the most retarded idea ever. Why not bond it to a woman, if you want to sell comics so desperately ? Why not give it to a a gorilla (oh shieeet) or a dog ?
>>
>>92828068
>the other characters appear in other books like Ironman

Ok, so lets just go through the characters I listed in my previous post.

>Harry Osborn
Of the characters listed, the only one who is currently in ASM. Has virtually nothing to do in it. Just pops up from time to time to remind the reader he is still there.

>Mary Jane
Shows up occasionally in Bendis Invicible Iron Man books (both vol 2 and the current vol 3), but is a background character.

>Gwen Stacy
Is still dead.

>Flash Thompson
Hasn't been seen in a Spider-Man book since Superior Spider-Man. And aside from 2 issues of Spaceknight hasn't even interacted with Spidey in years. Lets also not forget that he was written out of his own book and replace by Lee Price.

>Liz Allen
Hasn't shown up in ASM in years (since #622, specifically) and then played a small role in Superior. After that, had two (issues #1 and 18) very minor appearances in PADs Spider-Man 2099 book.

>Debra Whitman
Hasn't been in any book since Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #16, back in 2007.

Gee golly! All of these characters have such exciting and important roles right now!
>>
>>92828532
I was talking about Aunt may and JJ, dude.

But if you still feel the need to play "spot the casual" to show how big your comic cock is, go right ahead.

>>92828708
Like I said, only the characters that appeared pretty much the 90's matter. The others, I suppose Venom could kill them for cheap drama; but again, his code of ethics prevents him from doing that.

Harry actually has stuff to do in the book by the way. He and Betty got a sub plot that delt with them trying to out Regent's plot for more than one issues, and he had a decent role in the Goblin story. Everything else, I'll admit, is him just being there; but you can't say he's only barely being utilized in the book.

Also, don't forget MJ is a main character in RYV, and has a month of variants devoted to her coming in the near future.
>>
>>92807166
I've always wanted for Eddie to be Venom again and him facing off against Gargan was top fanservice, but it all kinda sucks as a story.
>>
>>92807166
Yes, never made any sense to me Carnage has been the same forever whereas venom was a whore.

That said, not sure i wanna read it with costa on it
>>
>>92808940
>I can see how much of a massive character derailment it is for a guy who intentionally sold the symbiote to get rid of it
That was a massive character derailment from everything prior, and for literally no reason
The end game was to make Mack Gargan Venom.....why? They even fucking made fun of that in the same damn story
>>
>>92812318
Oh look, it's the underaged Flashfag false flagger again

Watch I can do that too

Making Eddie Venom is fucking RETARDED

If you are going to make Eddie Venom, the ONLY ONLY ONLY logical reason to do so is to basically make Eddie a tacticool guy who uses guns (because guns are more badass than superpowers) with Justin Beiber hair for me to write fanfiction about because I ship him with a goth girl OC

There is NO OTHER FUCKING REASON TO DO SO
>>
It was very badly handled, you can tell from how negative people were about it in the story time thread.
>>
>>92807166
Absolutely.
>>
>>92829970
Poor writing is literally the only reason Eddie ever stopped being Venom in the first place, and everything since has been convoluted bullshit trying to make it right, and NOTHING has stuck. Carnage has been fortunate enough to be sort of a "who gives a crap hes just a villain" character while Venom had a strong fanbase for a long time, meaning "ambitious" writers wanted to put their own spin on it time and time again

Venom is a fan favorite character, Flash is a /co/ntrarian favorite character, they can keep crying
>>
>>92833025
>everything since has been convoluted bullshit trying to make it right, and NOTHING has stuck
Agent Venom was Venom for over 5 years and has an incredibly popular 42 issue series, longer than any other Venom series.
>>
>>92833093
Wouldn't have sold a dime if it wasn't called "Venom"

You know it's right, and it's why you fags have such an aversion to Flash NOT being Venom, when he had no real reason to be since it was not his mantle. Agent Stinger, Agent Poison, Agent whatever fucking new symbiote they could have made up on the spot wouldn't sell those numbers
>>
>>92827059
>You really think after One More Day, they'll let anything happen to Spider-man's classic supporting cast? At best, they'll just invent a new character for him to kill.

Literally what does that have to do with anything? Venom stopped being about trying to hurt Peter's family a long time ago, and if you knew anything you'd know he wasn't even about that, he just used that as a tactic to try and hurt Peter himself

>But even then, Eddie's code of ethics prevents him from doing that.

Then what's your point if you know that isn't what he's all about? Why are you seemingly implying the only purpose Venom has is killing one of Peters supporting cast
>>
>>92833326
>Wouldn't have sold a dime if it wasn't called "Venom"
Well no shit, how else do you advertise the new Venom?
They made you care about Flash and his relationship through good storytelling, that's what a writer's job is.
>>
>>92834289
When it comes to Marvel, mantle swaps are always bullshit.
>>
>>92834026
Because that's what Marvel and everyone who hasn't been keeping up with his history thinks.

Unless they give him a new shtick or a new purpose, he's just going to keep falling back down into the same pit of status quo
>>
>>92834674
Pretty much everyone who isn't a massive casual or under the age of 25 knows Venom became an anti-hero in the 90s, whether through Maximum Carnage or Lethal Protector shit or otherwise it's pretty well known Venom became "good"
>>
>>92834763
I'm not sure many people know about lethal protector outside of it's name. Otherwise, we'd have more fans asking what happened to make Eddie abandon San Francisco, and why he doesn't say "Hoo-ha" anymore.

It's far more plausible that they better know him from his appearances in cartoons and Vidya.
>>
>>92835291
Venom's earliest appearance that I recall in vidya was Maximum Carnage, which when I was growing up was a very popular game and still actually is pretty popular among the retro vidya crowd

Once again I'll repeat myself, everyone who isn't a massive casual OR under the age of 25
>>
>>92835414
I'm just saying, if people were paying as close attention to Venom as your claiming, his history wouldn't be as fucked as it is right now. There would be more people asking why the second hunger story got everything so wrong.

Then there's the fact that some fans haven't been keeping up with Venom as much as the have their other favorite characters. I could imagine it was difficult to keep track since Eddie himself only got featured in mostly stand-alone miniseries and crossovers, but never an actual ongoing. Plus it's rare that any of them get a reprint; so unless you're familiar or comfortable with pirating comics there's virtually no way to keep yourself informed outside of maybe the official Marvel app. And unless you REALLY want to learn about Venom, that's too much hassle.

Then there's the fact that only Bunn and Remender sincerely make references to old symbiote lore that isn't recent or multiversal. The most anyone else will do is show a group shot of old Symbiote hosts, and figure that's enough.

Meanwhile, the most recent mobile games have him acting like a brain eating psycho, and the upcoming Spider-man cartoon looks like more of the same; so that's not good press.
>>
>>92836215
That goes for most capeshit characters. The vast majority of people, even on this board, insist Raimi's Spider-Man was an accurate portrayal of "old school Spider-Man", and Spider-Man is far from any sort of niche character

Casuals, like I said
>>
>>92836385
You can't just dismiss someone as a casual just because they didn't read the same books as you did.

That's part of the reason this board is going to shit.
>>
>>92836737
A casual is short for casual fan
AKA somebody who has merely a surface interest in something but doesn't know the roots of it, the source material, or who has never bothered or cared to learn everything they can about it

So yes, I can. I can dismiss someone as a casual if they haven't read literally every comic ever about a character they choose to talk about, that would be a dick move, but I could.
>>
>>92836938
Thing is people on /co/call people casuals for making little mistakes, asking questions, wanting recs, or to beat their own chests. It's a dick move to act like you know everything about something, but so is getting in peoples faces about how much more informed you are.
>>
>>92824888
Wife and kid
>>
>>92837106
>people acting like elitist dicks anonymously
Welcome to 4chan
>>
Who was the qt that Flash Venom gave part of the symbiote to in order to keep her alive? She was neat.

Also where is Carnage at this point?

Also does Flash have no legs again?
>>
>>92837643
I call it /v/ infecting /co/
>>
>>92838478
I've only been posting on /co/ about six years or so, but if there was ever a point in time where this board didn't act that way, that would truly make it an anomaly and one of a kind thing in the history of comic book and cartoon fandoms, which have always been notoriously elitist
>>
>>92812523

Flash was already friends with Pete when he got the symbiote. Flash was a good move and going back to Eddie is dumb. But of course Marlel needs those synergy bucks.
>>
File: 7667.png (467KB, 449x430px) Image search: [Google]
7667.png
467KB, 449x430px
>>92838605
There was a time where people could say unironically that "/co/ was love"

Lots of fun OC, great art from drawfags, we had comic creator stop by sometimes, and great threads. There were bad/autistic threads back then too, but they weren't as bad as the shitposts we get now. Mostly people false flagging as /a/ making fun of comics and cartoons.

Then around the time of the new 52, things started to change. Anons got uppity about news articles complaining about Starfire's new look, the horse show came into existence, etc. With everything that came up, /co/ got more and more hostile. /pol/ coming into existence all but killed what was left of old /co/.

But the biggest piece of evidence showing how much /co/ has changed is how few namefags we have as opposed to back then. Vorked Larfleeze, Black Aracnea's tits, Redwood, even Roasted Bread. They're all gone. Now, all we have left is Boco, Dave, and a handful of others.

I know some people might say good riddance to namefags, but I feel as if we lost something with them leaving.
>>
>>92838679
Not who you're responding to, but how exactly was making Flash Thompson "Venom" a good idea? Now, understand I realize it's going to be a good idea to people who were introduced to Venom through Flash, or who are only fans of Flash

But objectively, how was it a good idea?

>>92839084
Well we all miss the better days don't we, I can't say I've ever had such attachment to this board in particular but certain other boards I feel similarly about, at the end of the day all you can do is try to make it a better place yourself rather than rely on others like you may have been able to do before
>>
>>92839313
Oh, I try.

I try to be the one guy who doesn't bite someone's head off for asking questions. I try not to automatically assume the guys I argue with are idiots. It's not much, but I try.

Then sometimes, between all the shitposts, /pol/ rantings and bait threads, I find a bubble of sanity that reminds me of how things used to be.
>>
>>92839313
>Not who you're responding to, but how exactly was making Flash Thompson "Venom" a good idea?
Because it made for a compelling story using Spider-Man's #1 fan with one of his biggest villains? The idea of it in of itself is a cool idea playing on the irony of it all.
I was introduced to Venom through the 90's cartoon. He became one of my favorite characters because of how cool he was. Eddie is still one of my favorites, and I've gone back and read a bunch of his classic stories. I think he became even better through his character progression as Anti-Venom, and then Agent Venom was introduced, and after reading it, I fell in love with the character who I had already liked thanks to the story of how he lost his legs.

Agent Venom now is my favorite Marvel character.
>>
>>92839084
>>92839487
I've only been here since around 2013/2012, but there's definitely been a change. I remember coming here after being upset about ASM #700 and discovering storytimes, and I really did think /co/ is love.

I don't know if I can say that anymore.
>>
>>92839569
>Because it made for a compelling story using Spider-Man's #1 fan with one of his biggest villains?
I've never been a fan or subscriber to the idea that the symbiote itself is "Venom", I know it's long been treated that way at this point for convenience reasons but to me Venom was always the symbiote + Eddie, the symbiote itself wasn't Spider-Man's biggest villain...it was the symbiote + Eddie's hatred and anger, but that's just me
> I think he became even better through his character progression as Anti-Venom
Anti-Venom was great, but could you honestly say any of those stories couldn't have been told if he was still Venom with minor plot differences? In the end, they killed Anti-Venom, and then had to bring him back yet again as Toxin...once again, still playing the same Venom role only with plot details being the only difference, all very convoluted if you ask me

As for Agent Venom, fine if you like him, fine if anybody likes him, I didn't initially hate him nor do I really now....but I also never wanted him to be a full replacement for classic Venom, because well, he's not Venom, he's an entirely different character all together just with the same name, meanwhile Eddie had gone through multiple name changes but was still basically being the same character with minor gimmicks.

>>92839487
I feel you, that's how I feel about /mlp/, every now and again there is a glimpse of the good old days in between the cancer.
>>
>>92839948
>I've never been a fan or subscriber to the idea that the symbiote itself is "Venom", I know it's long been treated that way at this point for convenience reasons but to me Venom was always the symbiote + Eddie, the symbiote itself wasn't Spider-Man's biggest villain...it was the symbiote + Eddie's hatred and anger, but that's just me
See, that's why I always call Flash Agent Venom, not just Venom. And Gargan is definitely not deserving of the Venom title.
I'm not upset that there was no real "Venom" during that time though, both the symbiote and Eddie had moved on to better things.
>Anti-Venom was great, but could you honestly say any of those stories couldn't have been told if he was still Venom with minor plot differences?
I really don't see how they could have made him cure spider island without being Anti-Venom.
And I still think them getting rid of Anti-Venom was a mistake, and that he should make a return (though that's not likely to happen now as they're not gonna get rid of Eddie being Venom that easily)
>>
Oh. God.

We're in the HEAT/KOLD discussions again.
Venom-verse can't come here enough to pacify all of this.
>>
>>92839084
>any of those namefags
>good
They were all shitposters who contributed nothing. Actually, scratch that, Redwood contributed a good amount of the decline and pussification of this board when he became a mod.
>>
>>92827315
Neither was high school spider-man, but people think it was.
>>
>>92825337
I'll give you the same reaction as I did with this pic of hulk/wolverine: Maybe in an alternate dimension/future but otherwise no unless you got a pretty good reason for telling that story.
>>
>>92841907
>>
>>92840834
I'm going on record in saying that Roasted and Movie Theatre Lad were the worst.

The rest were fine/harmless/ignorable
>>
File: venomverse poster.jpg (360KB, 2048x630px) Image search: [Google]
venomverse poster.jpg
360KB, 2048x630px
>>
>>92840227
>I really don't see how they could have made him cure spider island without being Anti-Venom.
That's exactly what I mean by plot things, at the core of what made Anti-Venom fun, it wasn't being part of that whole storyline, it was just seeing Eddie be a dopey but rutheless symbiote powered vigilante again, nobody thought "damn Anti-Venom was a cool plot device" it was "damn, Eddie's back", and he was gone as quick as he came, only to be back in character as ultimately yet another plot device soon enough
>>
>>92808281
As a pre-order bonus, but eah I'm glad he made it somewhat.
>>
File: 1404183966858.png (365KB, 405x486px) Image search: [Google]
1404183966858.png
365KB, 405x486px
>>92839084

Sadly most of us were chased away, caved into accepting just being anonymous, or real life decided to make us post less here.

For me, it was just because there was no point any longer to have a name when all the people you knew left and when one stops storytiming. I'm still friends with all the namefags I met here and have done a few storytimes here and there, but nowhere near what I used to do.

Though it is weird seeing how much has changed since being here since 2010.
>>
>>92842074
What the fuck is the blue one
>>
>>92812318
>Venom ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS has to be a brain eating murder monster that hates Peter

okay
>>
>>92846348
She's a false flagger trying to make it seem like all classic Venom fans are idiots, she's been at this a while
>>
File: venom flash thompson.jpg (83KB, 517x992px) Image search: [Google]
venom flash thompson.jpg
83KB, 517x992px
God no. As bad as things are now, nothing is worse than undoing years of stories for the sake of your own nostalgia

Flash was the best thing to happen to the symbiote in years
>>
>>92848771
How so, Agent Venom was symbiote abuse
>>
>>92848528
How do you know the poster is a she?
>>
>>92848784
It's not like the symbiote was exactly co-operative. The minute it say Spider0Man when the meds wore off, it freaked out and tried to kill him. Flash had to sedate it best he could and beg it to go save Betty.
>>
SO what's Venomverse gonna' be about again? Cause if it's about everyone getting symbiotes, doesn't that mean we can get Flash Venom back?
>>
In my mind Costa's run ends with Return Your Vows from the Secret Wars, where Peter puts Venom and Brock both down.
Thread posts: 121
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.