[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://comicsverse.com/femininity- of-dc-villainesses/ I s

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 12

https://comicsverse.com/femininity-of-dc-villainesses/

I saw this article on DC's big five female villains, and it got me wondering: why does DC do female characters so much better than Marvel? You don't see girls latch onto girls from Marvel the way they do DC.

Who does Marvel even have? Mystique? Volcana? Its not like they can use Enchantress anymore since DC's Suicide Squad movie put that name on lockdown.
>>
>>92757689
Marvel has had lots of female villains, they just all become heroes eventually.

DC is copying them now by turning Killer Frost and Harley.
>>
File: Stained Glass Scarlet.jpg (38KB, 321x310px) Image search: [Google]
Stained Glass Scarlet.jpg
38KB, 321x310px
>>92757689
Marvel forgot that they actually do have good villainesses and heroines.
>>
Random theories:
A lot of prominent female villains are seductress spy types and DC was more established during the era when that was a huge trope.
Most prominent Marvel females are on team books where you're more likely to see male villains as they can take on more people at once. You need more standalone female heroes to get more female villains as they really only pop up to get the designated girl fight.
Marvel seeking to be the "socially conscious" label even way back when results in fewer female villains due to the baggage associated with them.
This isn't a Marvel or DC issue; female villains in general (that don't end up getting redemption arcs, usually by hero cock) are a pretty rare things, again due to benevolent sexism.
>>
>>92757781
Marvel doesn't even have female heroes either though.
>>
>>92757689
>condemns Cheetah
>praises Harley
>>
>>92757982
Yeah that was dumb. Cheetah is based af.
>>
because the writers actually want to fuck their characters
>>
>>92757981
It's easy to forget they do, they're just mostly all X-Men so they don't get advertised much these days.
>>
>>92757996
The abuse angle is retarded too. Minerva deceived an EVIL GOD for her powers and is tormented in return. It's a far cry from Harley's Stockholm shit.
>>
>>92757981
To be fair Marvel no longer have heroes at all.
>>
>>92757689
Because salty despicable cunts is Marvel's idea of le strong female characters.
>>
>>92759502
Ayyyy

Its true
>>
>>92757689
>Volcana
God bless you for appreciating the finer things in life.
>>
>>92759917
She thicc. Plus she's got a unique powerset.
>>
>>92757689
Hello, /co/mrades. Like most women, I've never read a comic book before and only have passing knowledge of comic book stuff in general, and I feel I might be able to spill some insight:

I think Marvel women are fucking bland and wildly under-utilized. I guess Mystique has an interesting premise ("your terrorists are our freedom fighters" kind of thing), but fuck if I can rattle names off and say anything noteworthy about Marvel's female characters.

I think DC has done a better job incorporating its women into its universe and consequentially, they're more developed, distinct characters.

Harley Quinn/Poison Ivy is cool, too.

Is my perception accurate, in your view: Y/N? Discuss.
>>
>>92757689
Unless they're in X-men i can't name a single female character from Marvel come to think of it...

This is as someone who's very casual at comics. I can name 10 off the top of my head from DC

A lot of them from Batman though
>>
>>92759999
> I never liked comics and stuff but when they lowered the quality of the General publication and began pandering to me by making the grrrrls all super awesome and powerful and stuff, whilst negatively impacting the remaining characters and hurting the genre for its long time followers, I decided I love comic books now! Look guiz, I'm a nerdy grrrrrl XD

Kys
>>
>>92759999
You are correct and have some impressive digits. Marvel is pure shit.
>>
>>92760311
oh hello OP

your bias is showing
>>
>>92760443
It is an objective fact that Marvel is the bottom of the barrel of comics.
>>
>>92759999
Guess I oughta clarify the point of this is I think this may be the general female perception. It might not be reality. I wouldn't know. But if I'm right, it explains why female Marvel fans don't rarely attach to its female characters, while female DC fans have a warmer relationship. I think women outside the fanbase may also pick up on the (possible) irrelevancy of Marvel's women and so they never think "oh, she seems interesting, I'll read her comics".

My digits are godly and can't be argued with.
>>
>>92759917
>>92759951
She has been a secret obscure waifu from Secret Wars.
>>
>>92757689
>You don't see girls latch onto girls from Marvel

I'm crazy into Nico Minoru, but I've also been reading comics as long as I remember (dad basically passed it down to me) so I'm probably not the kind of girl you're talking about.
>>
>>92757910
>female villains in general (that don't end up getting redemption arcs, usually by hero cock) are a pretty rare things, again due to benevolent sexism.

That's one of the things I like about Steven universe, they are not afraid to have female characters with significant flaws.
Of course the majority of them end up getting redeemed, but that's the nature of the show.
>>
I want to marry cheetah
>>
>>92759999
Kind of. Marvel has some cool female villains: Hela is going to be in a movie, though she's technically not a villain in the comics and more of an antagonistic force at times. Marvel just does not know how to market them. Nebula was cool but I think GotG 2 made her good. Idk, I haven't seen GotG 2. Enchantress is nowhere to be seen, and I doubt they'll call her Enchantress after DC did theirs. Mystique has been dragged to hero status in the films. Marvel just can't manage these characters. Hela will probably be the exception, I hope. It's sad when fucking Faora from Man of Steel is a more memorable female character than anything Marvel's done in the comics or films regarding women.
>>
See, this is why we need a thunderbolts movie, not to highlight only Zemo, but to start the rivalry between Songbird and Moonstone.
>>
>>92759502
Ewing, that's all
>>
>>92760662
Nico is great
>>
File: 1495624007760.jpg (70KB, 328x580px) Image search: [Google]
1495624007760.jpg
70KB, 328x580px
>>92763926
agreed
>>
File: 4970507-7692004589-g19VX.gif (3MB, 448x251px) Image search: [Google]
4970507-7692004589-g19VX.gif
3MB, 448x251px
>>92757689
Enchantress is far better in Marvel
>>
File: Bombshells Selina.jpg (113KB, 951x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Bombshells Selina.jpg
113KB, 951x1500px
>>92757689
>I saw this article on DC's big five female villains, and it got me wondering: why does DC do female characters so much better than Marvel?
Femanon here. DC's female villains and heroes tend to stand on their own and have their own fully developed personality and styles. Marvel's female characters tend to be largely team based or beholden to a group and their few solo heroines or villains tend to be kind of shit. They have some decent ones, but either the rules above are true - Storm (stuck in team, stuck with Black Panther, stuck with team), Invisible Woman (bland, stuck in team), Jean Grey (stuck in team, dead), Emma Frost (stuck in team, stuck with Rightclops), Carol (bland, preachy), etc. - or are constantly buried like Enchantress and Elektra.

It also helps that DC's big on legacy characters and multiversal variants like the Bombshells in the OP. So you get all sorts different styles of the same character and you can find something for everyone allowing you to be a fan of the pure concept of the character. Like, Vixen's my favorite D-lister and I'm super excited she's been getting so much attention recently. I wasn't too excited with the CW's version of Mari, but Amaya in LoT just does it for me so I'm still happy. I'm hoping for more Cheetah attention. And the Wonder Woman movie was great.
>>
>>92764188
How much did DShit pay you to shill their new trainwreck?
>>
>>92764230
None. I pay them to watch the movies and buy their other products. Suck it, faggot. :^)
>>
File: a_large_fellow.jpg (82KB, 673x1020px) Image search: [Google]
a_large_fellow.jpg
82KB, 673x1020px
>>92759999
>>92760526
>Like most women, I've never read a comic book before and only have passing knowledge of comic book stuff in general

Then why are you here?
>>
File: IMG_20170217_081723.jpg (79KB, 900x1517px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170217_081723.jpg
79KB, 900x1517px
MFW I have these statues.

(MFW we don't have a Mary Marvel bombshell, though....)
>>
>>92757689
Marvel does have lots of femal villains

The thing is most don't appear outside of comics and when they do they're shit

DC automatically has Harley, Talia, Catwoman, and Ivy due to the prominence of Batman and they have many well liked versions
They've started pushing Killer Frost and she is now well liked because she's pretty good in the Flash show
>>
File: gl3iiosyjtgy.jpg (77KB, 730x1095px) Image search: [Google]
gl3iiosyjtgy.jpg
77KB, 730x1095px
>>92764290
Holy shit! I loved Mercado's Norman Rockwell style Supergirl and had no idea he did a Mary Marvel! Thanks!
>>
>>92757689
>Cheetah is now Wonder Woman's tragic BFF
>Killer Frost is now a superhero
>Catwoman hasn't really been villainous in decades
>Poison Ivy is usually played sympathetically
>Harley Quinn is portrayed as a wacky hero with a single tragic flaw
I wish more lady villains were allowed to actually be evil.

All the big ones are pretty much good guys.

Shit, Marvel turned Captain Carol into more of a villain than any of these characters.
>>
>>92757689
>Its not like they can use Enchantress anymore since DC's Suicide Squad movie put that name on lockdown.

I doubt that, since Marvel's character came first, and it's never stopped anyone before.
>>
File: dick you slut.jpg (370KB, 972x1515px) Image search: [Google]
dick you slut.jpg
370KB, 972x1515px
>>92764268
For the Dick, of course.
>>
>>92765014
>Cheetah
Still a villain, now with a more developed backstory and character.
>Killer Frost
Correct.
>Catwoman
Her big push as DC's ultimate grey area character who does bad things for good reasons has only happened under tge past twenty years.
>Poison Ivy
Still a villain, now with a more developed backstory and character.
>Harley Quinn
Still a villain. Fuck, she's even in a team of villains.
>>
>>92757689
My theory is that Marvel tries to write female characters as the same exact thing as male characters to not seem sexist. DC writes females differently from their male characters because they /are/ different.
>>
File: 1404689771706.jpg (35KB, 335x605px) Image search: [Google]
1404689771706.jpg
35KB, 335x605px
Marvel spend most of the 00's with a policy of only giving books to A-listers and that let a bunch of characters sink into obscurity
>>
>>92757689
Are you talking about comic readers or non comic readers?

Non comics readers is an easy one: marvel doesn't showcase as many villainesses outside the comics. But when they do they're one and dones and usually shit like every marvel villain except Loki. Mystique is probably the one exception and anybody who liked her just liked JLaw. DC on the other hand pretty automatically has Poison Ivy, Harley Quinn, Catwoman, and Talia thanks to Batman being fucking everywhere. All four of those, Talia the least though, have had numerous incarnations across different kinds of media and people will latch onto at least one of them. I really wouldn't count Cheetah since she's usually shit and nobody knows or cares about her. Killer Frost though has gotten a hell of a boost thanks to cross media promotions with Superhero Girls, Injustice, and Flash. Easily the best example of pushing a character right when people didn't know who the character was prior.

As comic readers, I dunno. I'm not as well versed with marvel comics, but DC didn't have many prominent female villains that weren't Batman and Wonder Woman's token villain until lately. Like Johns pushed Black Adam, Sinestro, and Cold, but I'm having difficulty thinking of a female villain that was pushed that much prior to Killer Frost.
>>
>>92764268
To try to give some perspective from the average woman. I'd literally never clicked on a comic thread before this, and probably won't in the future because of how rare of it being relevant to my interests or knowledge base.
>>
>>92766046
But none are full blown evil like Darksied, Nico Bolas, or Wesker.
>>
>>92757689
>Its not like they can use Enchantress anymore since DC's Suicide Squad movie put that name on lockdown.
But she's literally in the new Thor movie
>>
>>92770439
Talia is at this point, debatable whether that's good or not though
>>
>>92770574
It's a sideways move. The "torn between her superhero love and supervillain father" shtick was completely played out but making her Bruce's psycho baby mama drama wasn't any better. They should have continued leaning Poison Ivy towards evil even if they weren't going to have her go full evil and have Harley a bit more gleefully sadistic and self-serving.

I think the Nu52 Ventriloquist could have gone places with a writer who was willing to invest a little gothic theatricality in her and Jane Doe is interesting enough to support B- or C-list status.
>>
File: 1469919988553.jpg (215KB, 665x800px) Image search: [Google]
1469919988553.jpg
215KB, 665x800px
>>92764188
This, it helps when DC is better at Marvel for churning out villains, though Marvel tends to focus more on the turmoil and flaws of heroes, which is why that Civil War shit is so common.
>>
>>92771136
I forgot to mention another fun villain from DC,

Granny-Fucking-Goodness.
>>
>>92757689
Isn't this partly about DC having better villains in general?

Marvel is infamous as the company whose villains are so weak, and reform so often, that the characters spend most of their time fighting each other.

Then there's the fact that Marvel doesn't have a Wonder Woman. When Claremont created Mystique and Deathbird he was creating a rogue's gallery for Carol Danvers/Ms. Marvel, but she got canceled and they migrated to X-Men, where it's hard to be a standout villain.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.