[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone still go to comic cons? I haven't gone in a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: new-york-comic-con-image.jpg (78KB, 610x408px) Image search: [Google]
new-york-comic-con-image.jpg
78KB, 610x408px
Does anyone still go to comic cons?

I haven't gone in a few years, but they seem too expensive now. No celebs at booths just signing autographs. Now you wait in a line for 3 hours for a $100 "photo op"
>>
The only good cons are the ones that are actually dedicated to comics instead of just dedicated to "geek culture".

TCAF was earlier this month. That was pretty groovy. SPX and APE are coming in September. I supposed HeroesCon is worth a look as well, that's in June.
>>
>>92726091

I'm currently going to MegaCon down here in Orlando. Never bothered with entertainment celebrities myself. Mainly just go to people watch, talk to writers, hang out at panels, screen movies, take pity on artist alley and raid discount bins.
>>
>>92726091
Nah, I stopped going like a decade ago.

I discovered the only thing I like about comics is reading them. I hate the fans, I hate meeting creators (and I don't think they enjoy meeting fans), I hate merchandise, etc.
>>
>>92726580
>The only good cons are the ones that are actually dedicated to comics instead of just dedicated to "geek culture".

Fuck out of here, cons always had geek culture, even SDCC in the 70's promoted Star Wars and sci-fi shows and other movies.

The problem started happening when Hollywood started taking more of an interest and all these other companies started taking space in the events and the comic people were getting pushed out.
>>
File: 1411825806560.png (262KB, 248x510px) Image search: [Google]
1411825806560.png
262KB, 248x510px
>>92726091
>paying to get into a dealers room to pay for merchandise and for the ability to pay for an autograph or photo with someone because they were on TV

Holy shit I sincerely hope you guys don't do this.

>>92726580
>TCAF was earlier this month. That was pretty groovy.
TCAF is usually always great, it's about comics, and had people who made comics and people who bought comics there. Fantastic. If it ever becomes an event celebrating licenses and merchandise and cosplayers it'll be dead to me.

Every time I go to a con I see people involved in creating characters getting the shaft and people who cashed in on the characters getting celebrated. it's seriously fucking backwards. But hey, CONVENTION EXCLUSIVE POP FIGURES AMIRITE? FILL MY DOCTOR WHO TOTE BAG MY MAN.
>>
>>92726091
>going to cons for autographs

Can never understand that mentality, cons are for socializing, partying, and meeting up-and-comers.
>>
>>92730984
Networking is somewhat legitimate, but why would you pay hundreds of dollars to do the first two? You can socialize and party anytime.
>>
>>92731017
Even the most expensive con is under $100 admission.

And socializing and partying is the best way to meet up and comers. Most of my celebrity acquaintances are the guys I met while socializing, having a beer with Larry Hama or a 3AM smoke with John Ringo.
>>
>>92726091
There's always the ballpit.
>>
just don't stand in line and do something else instead
>>
>>92732734
rip in piss
>>
My local "comic con" is a joke. The only major exhibitors they have are Nintendo, Xbox and Playstation, they're guest are usually second rate GoT/TWS actors and they've hosted exactly one known comic artist and no writers ever since they started.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.