[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you feel about Mary Jane as a superhero? It seems to be

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6

File: Mary Jane Iron Spider.jpg (88KB, 575x308px) Image search: [Google]
Mary Jane Iron Spider.jpg
88KB, 575x308px
How do you feel about Mary Jane as a superhero? It seems to be an idea they're increasingly trying out in various media. Personally while that Slott issue was dogshit but I thought the iron armor looked really good on her.
>>
Whatetver Happened to MJ being Tony's assistant?
>>
It's stupid.
>>
Truly indifferent, only that I feel it's inevitable.
>>
>>92710143
I'm fine with it. I just want her to be Peter's wife again. I'm really annoyed by everything that Marvel has been doing with most books though, so, it's not like they're going to give me what I want.
>>
They're hoping it catches on as a thing like Gwen Stacy Spiderwoman.

Then we'll get Mary Janepool, and it'll all be garbage. Then we'll move on to someone else.
>>
I like it and really don't care either way if she's married again or not
just give her actual stuff to do and good writing
>>
>>92710143
She should have spider-powers (either natural or through tech) while wielding a sword that imbues her with the fighting spirit of Red Sonja.
>>
File: spimj_lge_371.jpg (193KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
spimj_lge_371.jpg
193KB, 1280x1024px
>>92710218
Agreed
>>
>>92710193

It was a Bendis idea and apparently Bendis just got tired of it, because she just sort of vanished from the book over time, and now that we have Ironheart and DOOM she's just gone, I guess.
>>
>>92710362

She should have the iron spider armor mixed with a symbiote, spider-powers and the sword of Red Sonja giving her fighting skills.
>>
>>92710143
It's shit and Conway is a hack writing the most boring book possible.
>>
She has no reason whatsoever to be a superhero and it's more stupid corporate flailing to try and salvage the ongoing shitfest that is OMD. As long as Quesada is in charge they won't ever undo or rectify OMD because it's his baby, his big contribution to the Marvel mythos. But they still know that MJ is popular as a character, so they flail about trying to find something, ANYTHING for her to do in the comics in order to throw a shred at the fans to try and keep them hooked. They've tried bitch-queen MJ in the Slott spider-books, they tried making her Tony's secretary, they tried making her a superhero in this and in the cartoon, they'l try ANYTHING except for what people really want.
>>
Gwen Stacy as Spiderman in an entirely alternate universe is interesting because her death is such a pivotal moment in the Spiderman mythos and in Peter's development as a character, so seeing her in the heroic role and the many ripples and altered dynamics to the setting that causes has a fundamental interest to those who are invested in Spiderman as an overall mythos beyond the titular character. Add to that that the art and writing of the initial stories and for the character were good, and her design was instantly cool, iconic and eye-catching, and you have a recipie for success on ever metric.

Mary Jane becoming a superhero has few if any of those appealing factors, and beyond that Mary Jane never NEEDED to be a superhero to be important or have an impact on Peter or his setting. Making her one is pointless indulgence at best and undermines her character at worst.

Now, that's not to say giving an important but non-Super character powers can't work. When Pepper got Superpowers in the climax of Iron Man III or she got the special armor Tony made to protect her after he became head of SHIELD in the comics, it was cool and interesting and gratifying to see her mixing it up. But that's because Pepper's dynamic with Tony is of a certain nature: no matter how brave, smart, and effective Pepper is at supporting Tony, she is usually "subservient," to him. She's a damsel in distress more often than not no matter how strong she is at other times, like running Stark Industries or giving Tony the business for being a shitty person or helping him deal with emotional trauma. At the end of the day, we all know that Tony will have to rescue her. Giving her the ability to save herself, or save him, changes that dynamic and that is interesting.

MJ never had that dynamic with Peter. Its almost impossible to imagine her as a damsel in need of saving even though there are a ton of example of it. MJ has always been Pete's equal without them, so adding them adds nothing.
>>
>>92710780

It doesn't help that Slott apparently enjoys writing MJ as a vapid cunt. But he did that with Black Cat too so he could justify turning her into a villain. He really seems to be adamant that the women of Pete's life are all terrible except possibly Aunt May.
>>
I don't really care what's going on with spiderman characters anymore
>>
It was awesome in exiles, this was just stupid
The iron spider suit is designed for someone with super strength durability etc.
>>
>>92710143
No Mary Jane should remain a damsel. What's next? Aunt May suits up to fight crime?
>>
>>92711313

This. But expecting editors to do actual editing instead of worrying what horrible hamfisted SJW statements to make on twitter next is too much for modern Marvel.
>>
>>92711436

>No Mary Jane should remain a damsel

But well-written MJ isn't a damsel, she got out of plenty of scrapes on her own without powers.
>>
There isn't anything interesting about her to make her a super hero.

Marvel seems to have forgotten that to be a good super hero, a character needs a strong concept behind it. Either in the origin, or powers, or costume. I mean Batman is memorable because great tragedy and motivation, great setting and gimmicks, and great villains. Same for SPider-Man and others in their own way.

What would MJ be? She doesn't have an interesting or compelling backstory. And she will be either a boring new super hero concept, or a boring spin off of Spider-Man which is would be unoriginal and uninteresting
>>
>>92710664
>As long as Quesada is in charge

Anon, hate to break it to you, but Quesada is not in charge anymore. And hasn't been for a while.

He doesn't even work in the print department of Marvel anymore. He works in the TV side and does a lot of work with the animated shows.
>>
>>92710664
>MJ is popular as a character,
She's popular to cosplay as, and as a meme. DOn't think i've ever seen anyone actually read anything for her, except maybe to fap to it.
>>
>>92710894
Slott hates any attractive woman (even dubbing MJ as "anti-Marvel"). Likely because he cannot get an attractive woman to be interested in him.

Instead, he tries to argue that only having your lead character be into midgets and morbidly obese woman (namely Stunner) is acceptable and is, in his mind, "more Marvel" than fucking any woman who is attractive.

As a result, he hate-writes all attractive woman and turned them into unmitigated cunts.
>>
File: 2n0n8mu.jpg (217KB, 644x998px) Image search: [Google]
2n0n8mu.jpg
217KB, 644x998px
>>92711436
>No Mary Jane should remain a damsel.

So you've never actually read any comics with MJ in them, have you?
>>
>>92710143
I don't really like it Why does everyone with any relations to a hero have to get powers
>>
>>92711936

This. Describing Mary Jane as a Damsel In Distress is like putting that label on Lois Lane.
>>
>>92711877
>Slott hates any attractive woman (even dubbing MJ as "anti-Marvel").

Funny because if you look back at the first decade of Marvel:

>Reed dating Sue
>Hank dating Jan
>Pete dating Betty Brant
>Banner dating Betty
>Cap dating Sharon Carter

All those ugly butterfaces and hambeasts among them. OH WAIT
>>
I always find it pretty lame when the supporting cast also get powers, or when there ends up being multiple versions of the one hero running around all at once.
>>
>>92712016
That's exactly the point.

He went on a hate rant about how much he hates Peter and how Otto was the superior character in his mind, because he "sees the inner beauty in midgets and fat chicks".

Which is also ironic, because he wrote an entire plot arc about Otto wanting to fuck MJ (including a whole sex dream sequence).

And then created Silk, an attractive asian woman, who Peter literally feels compelled to fuck when they first meet.
>>
>>92711936
>she hyphenates the last name
I will never take anybody who does that seriously. Either keep your last name or don't.
>>
>>92710143
if she does become a superhero she has got a lot of apologising to peter after what slott wrote her to say.
Really she would only work as a partner to spiderman. She can't carry her own book with out spider man.
>>
I think America's going about this whole magical girl genre completely sideways while Japan has mastered it decades ago and if comic book fans could collectively get over their neurosis of being perceived as weeaboos (which is somehow more insulting than being a manchild who reads capes??) we could see some interesting traction
>>
A suit like that must pinch terribly.
>>
>another spiderman
Anyone got a headcount on how many spiderman knock offs are running around now?
>>
>>92714185
multi verse included well over 10
>>
>>92714185
A lot of them aren't so bad.
>>
Ultimate Mary Jane Carnage
>>
Spiderman ever get good after Conway left?

It's been shit for DECADES.
>>
>>92712163
Name recognition is important for people trying to be models/actresses. i forget what MJ was up to exactly at that time.
>>
>>92714520
>DeMatteis
>Michelinie
>JMS
>Wells
>some of Jenkins' stuff is good
Fuck off.
>>
>>92714542
Then she should have just kept her last name.
>>
>>92710574
Why was there never an alternate universe where MJ was the unknowing host of the Venom symbiote?

Over time they would come to an understanding over their feelings for Peter and form a stronger symbiosis, then She-Venom and Spider-Man would be a super spider power couple together.
>>
>>92710143
A MJ superhero exist already.
>>
>>92714714
The fuck is going on with that webbing?
>>
>>92711936
There's also the time she beat the Chameleon unconscious with a baseball bat.

Or when the staff at a tv studio were being attacked by some demonic imp monsters and she was rallying them to barricade the place and smashed one with a metal pole.
>>
>>92710143
I like the idea, but the have to do it the right way.

In the animated "Ultimate Spider-Man", she bonded with Carnage and became Spider-Woman. She looked like MC2's Spider-Girl (her future daughter) and it was cool. But I didn't like MJ using the style and weapons of Carnage, like axes or spikes. It was too creepy to see. So, I think it will work, but it has to be done correctly.
>>
>>92716636

What would be a good use of Carnage's power for Mary Jane, or any good guy? I've always seen the thing that makes Carnage distinct is that he's way more about the Green Lantern-style "make objects," gimmick where as Venom was always much more about a Living Liquid And Size Change kind of thing. Would a good Carnage focus more on non-lethal weapons, like nets and whips and clubs? Or maybe more like an Invisible Woman kind of thing where its all about making shields and occasionally blades in various shapes and sizes?
>>
>>92710568
>the fate of all Bendis' ideas.
>>
File: BlueBeetle_vs_Robin.png (124KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
BlueBeetle_vs_Robin.png
124KB, 800x450px
>>92716747
Just without the guns and flying.
>>
>>92716747
You can see a "good Carnage" in AXIS's arc. He truly tries to be a hero and don't kill, but he can't stop of causing disasters even with his best intentions.
>>
>>92716747

Organic Green Lantern powers, essentially.
>>
>>92714362
Should we start pulling J J Jamesons in from parallel earths? They can decide which ones are threats and which ones are menaces.
>>
File: silk.jpg (25KB, 672x372px) Image search: [Google]
silk.jpg
25KB, 672x372px
>>92718058
Don't forget which ones are daughterfus
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.