[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's so great about Invader Zim? I've seen like a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 12

File: 951180-zim.pondering.jpg (21KB, 388x640px) Image search: [Google]
951180-zim.pondering.jpg
21KB, 388x640px
What's so great about Invader Zim? I've seen like a few aired episodes back then and I guess it was memorable enough for me to recognize it but I don't think that was that amazing
>>
It captured the hearts of autists.
It had its moments but they were few and far between, mainly when Zim was being surprisingly competent which was basically always when he's a force for good.

Otherwise 1 dimensional and meh, which is why all the fan shit is as off character as possible.
>>
It's another "I don't like the show just because it's fandom is bad' thread, isn't it?
>>
>>92599684
According to my super power of reading, no.
>>
It felt unique and had some really memorable gags.

>>92598621
The fan shit is bad because the show's strength is in the 1-dimensionality of its characters and trying to up the drama or add emotional tension to it fucks it all up. It was just a cartoon for kids centered around black comedy.
>>
File: Meido Dib.jpg (77KB, 971x641px) Image search: [Google]
Meido Dib.jpg
77KB, 971x641px
>>92598425
A better bigger question for me is "why the fuck is this the brand new westaboo Big Thing"? It's almost two fucking decades old and suddenly on Westaboo sites it's all over the goddman place. Especially westaboos pulled into american animation by gravity falls are now flooding into zim fandom en masse and after 20 goddamn years I want to know why, japan doesn't even have a hot topic
>>
edge was hip
>>
>>92599718
fuck you, showoff
not everyone have superpowers here
>>
File: Dib and Gaz.jpg (25KB, 420x495px) Image search: [Google]
Dib and Gaz.jpg
25KB, 420x495px
>>92599974
>>
At the time of it's debut, Nickelodeon was basically a joke network, ZERO edge. The first and second generation Nicktoons had gone off the air, Nick was blatant in it's refusal to jump on the anime boom (which Cartoon Network was embracing), and basically shitting out lowest common denominator babyshit.

Invader Zim got huge because it tapped into the Adult Swim/Family Guy/South Park/Toonami demographic, which Nickelodeon was openly telling to fuck off and die, even as the network itself was drowning in hobo piss, as Spongebob and Fairy Oddparents had just debuted and were going through their akward season one stages, still struggling to find an audience.

It was a briefest of glimpses of what Nick could be if it had balls and teeth to go head to head with Cartoon Network. Which made the cancelation all the more bitter
>>
File: Angry Gaz.jpg (133KB, 922x1087px) Image search: [Google]
Angry Gaz.jpg
133KB, 922x1087px
>>92600058
>>
File: Tak and Gaz.jpg (67KB, 1199x534px) Image search: [Google]
Tak and Gaz.jpg
67KB, 1199x534px
>>92600075
>>
>>92600065
>zero edge
>Ren and Stimpy

What the fuck are you on about
>>
File: Red Purple Gijinka.jpg (169KB, 1164x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Red Purple Gijinka.jpg
169KB, 1164x1200px
>>92600114
>>
File: Dib and Gaz.png (163KB, 860x900px) Image search: [Google]
Dib and Gaz.png
163KB, 860x900px
>>92600221
>>
File: Zim Bear Suit.jpg (36KB, 695x626px) Image search: [Google]
Zim Bear Suit.jpg
36KB, 695x626px
>>92600265
>>
File: Fucking Zadr Again.jpg (88KB, 707x966px) Image search: [Google]
Fucking Zadr Again.jpg
88KB, 707x966px
>>92600297
>>
File: Westaboo ZAGR.png (50KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Westaboo ZAGR.png
50KB, 400x400px
>>92600342
>>
>>92600182
Not him, but look up what happened to Ren & Stimpy.

Zim got popular because it employs exsdee so random I shop at Hot Topic humor in a time where Hot Topic counter-culture Avril Lavigne type shit was at its height. This humor usually derived from the cuteness juxtaposed with the darkness of the show.

I still like it.
>>
>>92598425
Eh, kind of with you on this one.

As a kid I didn't care much for it. It was just something I watched when nothing else was on. As a coming of age teen, I gained interest in it again (probably because of my growing interest of more "mature" things, aside from possibly the popularity it grew on edgy scene kid pages in 2006-07) and I thought it was a pretty good show. Now I look back on it again and eh. I think its that cringy scene kid image I turn away from. I still love dark things, but something about it just reminds me of Myspace now. The story isn't that groundbreaking and Gir's jokes aren't as funny as I remember. I used to thought the creator was crazy for calling it a monstrosity or whatever but I just can't find any qualities of it that would pull me back into watching it again.
>>
>>92598425
A few episodes were genuinely very funny. There is something to it that there is still a following of sorts 16 years after it ended...

But by the time it ended it was going downhill. It had its charm and wasn't as edgy as some people made it out to be.

I also liked the strangely competent Zim episodes more than the other eps, they were more interesting.
>>
>>92600911
Also lots of cartoon creators today were obviously inspired by it, Steven Universe, especially Peridot is basically girl Zim who gets redeemed, and now those Mexican Villianos shorts were always open and obvious about being Jhonen Vasquez and Zim very heavily inspired from back when he/they were big.
>>
File: maz.jpg (95KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maz.jpg
95KB, 1280x720px
>>92600958
>>
>>92598425
Because it was random before being randumb. If you don't understand the aforementioned sentence, then you probably don't belong on 4chan.
>>
>>92600971
peridot fucking sucks though and all her waifufags left
>>
>>92600182
ren and stimpy are 10 years older than zim
>>
>>92600114
>>92600265
Source on these?
>>
File: tumblr_onx2gbezwY1qebirto1_1280.jpg (56KB, 706x793px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_onx2gbezwY1qebirto1_1280.jpg
56KB, 706x793px
>>92598425
Fun, enjoyable characters despite them all being assholes. Also being a children's black comedy that actually had a nice balance of random with some actually sharp and clever writing. The current comics are doing a good job capturing the feel of the show.
I personally enjoyed the beautiful settings despite the Zim universe being a hellhole as well as the bits and pieces of lore surrounding the entire show.

Also agreeing that the episodes where Zim is a competent badass are the best.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.