[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Gotta get back, back to the past, Samurai Jack >REEEE

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 9

File: latest[1].png (1MB, 1500x1800px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
1MB, 1500x1800px
>Gotta get back, back to the past, Samurai Jack
>REEEE WHY DID HE GET BACK, BACK TO THE PAST, GENNDY YOU HACK
what did /co/ mean by this?
>>
File: 1494798189349.jpg (156KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1494798189349.jpg
156KB, 1920x1080px
>>92589423
It was supposed to be a metaphor.
Too bad he didn't care.
>>
>>92589458
A metaphor for what?
>>
He should have gotten back to the past, but it could have been handled a ton better.

He gets mortally injured in the fight, probably from some act of self-sacrifice, he kills future aku, maybe ashi dies and creates the portal as her final act, he has a final farewell with the scotsman and everyone else and they tell him he has to do it despite the fact that they'll cease to exist. Jack goes back, finishes Aku with a single hit, passes out.

Feel free at that point to have him get found and nursed back to health or whatever, have some shots of the characters in the future turning into particles with expressions of calm or satisfied acceptance.

It managed to be both cliche'd yet unsatisfying on any level.
>>
File: good feelings.jpg (65KB, 613x464px) Image search: [Google]
good feelings.jpg
65KB, 613x464px
>watch Samurai Jack pilot
>"he's going to go back to the past at the precise moment he gets pushed forward and kill Aku in the ending"
>years pass
>season 5 announced
>"he can finally go back to the past at the precise moment he gets pushed forward and kill Aku"
>final episode airs
>that happens
>feel satisfied
For the first time in my life I feel like the target audience for something. I like this and I hope it happens again.
>>
>>92589488
Time travel.

Obviously.
>>
>>92589458
It's a plot device, not a metaphor.

Same thing as Gilligan's Island.
>>
>>92589458
But we're talking about Samurai Jack, not Duck Dodgers.
>>
>>92589623
This for the most part.
>>
>>92589458
Genndy voiced this character too
>>
>>92589423
My only issue with the way it was handled in the finale was how uncaring jack was to just hop right in when hes had the chance to do it countless times throught the serious.

first with the archers and then again with the monks. He friends most likely all were slaughtered helping jack but the only thing he cared about was ashi but in previous seasons he wouldve never left his friends to their certain aku rage filled doom.

i didnt mind the ashi subplot but holy fucking shit it ruined the pacing and forced everything. EVERYTHING
>>
File: 13546854.png (106KB, 403x403px) Image search: [Google]
13546854.png
106KB, 403x403px
>>92589623
This desu
I understand the angle of the "he should stay and make the future better" people but his literal life's quest is to save his family and his kingdom from Aku in the past before the series ends
Just let someone have something nice, just for once
>>
>>92589806
Ashi didn't ruin shit, awful pacing ruined it.

Without Ashi as a young naiive optimistic foil to Jack's tired acceptance his arc wouldn't have worked at all.

Literally the last 4 episodes are all that need changing.
>>
>>92589866
>Literally the last 4 episodes are all that need changing.
Shit taste. Episodes 4 and 6 were total disasters, almost as bad as the reviled episode 8 actually.
>>
>a protagonist will never reconsider his goal as his story progresses

Oh, you. Also, what >>92589806 said about how the moment was handled. I'm not mad, just disappointed.
>>
>>92589923
>episode 8
>perfectly standard SJ episode that would have fit right into seasons 1~4
>reviled
It's almost like season 5's biggest critics are a bunch of bandwagoners or something...
>>
>>92590006
Even the Farting Dragon episode of the original was better than that drivel.
>>
>>92590040
Wrong
>>
>>92589806
kek countless is a poor choice of words>>92589866
>>
>>92590040
You honestly believe that?
>>
>>92589423
No problem with him getting back to the past.

Big Problem with Ashis existence, literally only their to hurt Jack and wasted valuable time that could of gone to making the Aku/Jack fight longer/better. Had she survived I wouldn't of felt so cheated but now I feel like she was just a big waste of space that contributed nothing to the show and only slowed down the pacing. Plus he disappearance made no logical sense, she disappeared at the wedding? Why? Just shit-writing to make Jack more depressed.
>>
>>92589623
This
Watched from the beginning.
Exactly what I expected.
Not sure what everyone is bitching about.
>>
>>92590258
>its exactly the formulaic outcome everyone expected with no twists
>whats the problem

I bet you eat special k with skimmed milk from the same bowl every morning.
>>
File: 1460406361992.png (4KB, 203x231px) Image search: [Google]
1460406361992.png
4KB, 203x231px
>>92589623
Fucking this, it was perfect
>>
>>92589623
Literally it was exactly what 8 year old me expected. 25 year old me was satisfied.
>>
>even the comics made he acknowledge going back to the past was worthless without defeating aku in the future

Comics had a better ending
>>
>>92590471
He just rewrote the timeline
>>
Was it an ending? Yes. Was it good? Nope.

I mean I guess, yes now I know that Jack killed Aku but it didn't happen the way it should. The battles this season were shit-tier compared to the battle Jack had vs Aku at the graveyard, and Aku honestly deserved better than that. Ashi/Jack realtionship seemed forced, yeah I get the purpose was to make us feel for Jack. Oh he finally completed his quest but he lost his love, but I didn't get that. I just felt Ashi was thrown in JUST for the purpose of fucking over Jack. So at the end of the day I have closure, but it could of ended better for sure. I seriously don't understand /co/, just because it has an ending doesn't mean it's good.
>>
>>92590561
>Was it good?
It was. But it isn't what anyone wanted.
>>
>>92589853
>Just let someone have something nice, just for once
But Jack is now miserable in the past how is that something nice.
I'm not saying he needed to stay in the future, but the way it ended went from trying to be bitter sweet to just bitter. On top of that the time travel made no sense while they were definitely trying to play it up like scifi-time travel. His parents magically got younger. They copied gurren lagann disappearing nia without even doing it as well as that show, and that show wasn't even well written. Jack also never finished his Hero's Journey, he finished his quest but he never had to make a hard decision other people made it for him.
>>
People hating on the finale are honestly either shitposters, didnt watch the show, or hate the idea of Ashi and romance so much they dont care about anything else.

Season and finale was a solid 8/10, dont listen to the bandwagonning children OP
>>
>>92589623
>>92589802
>>92589853
>>92590258
>>92590431
>>92590467
>Being such a blind cock sucker that you can see the obvious as fuck ending from a mile away
>Pat yourself on the back when you get it right
>Ignore all the other god awful shit that went on in Season 5
>>
>>92589423
>what did /co/ mean by this?
Apparently, you meant that criticism of the ending is so offensive to you that you reflexively start screaming to prevent your ears from hearing it.
>>
File: 1494866716807.jpg (85KB, 1024x812px) Image search: [Google]
1494866716807.jpg
85KB, 1024x812px
>>92590856
>waah im right stop disagreeing with me STOP IT YOU DANG DIRTY TROLLS
>>
>>92589623
>Back so soon?
I keked
>>
File: 1478375691111.png (16KB, 854x799px) Image search: [Google]
1478375691111.png
16KB, 854x799px
The ultimate possible ending would have been:

>Ashi is dead
>Jack is having his sad moment
>looks up suddenly and smiles
>rides miles out into the desert
>among a circle of fallen warriors, the audience sees a dark cloaked figure
>figure turns around
>it's the Guardian, and behind his silhouette is a small time portal
>he speaks
>"Samurai... it's time"
>WACHA
>>
File: 1491264966314.png (11KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
1491264966314.png
11KB, 650x650px
>Ashi's final words were exposition

What the fucking shit
Were they seriously THAT pressed for time?
Not even just "I love you Jack?"

The words that saved Ashi were "I love you" and at no point does she say the same
I don't understand how this was written
I liked the final episode for the most part but those last few minutes were so rushed

No "Jack as an old man telling kids about his adventures," or "Jack making a little shrine to Ashi by that tree" or anything?
No Jack reminiscing about everything he went through? No hint of how he feels about erasing all the friends he made? Just a ladybug and a smile?

C'mon man. This really isn't closure. It's an ending, but only in the absolute most literal definition.
>>
File: bags and think of death.jpg (56KB, 432x417px) Image search: [Google]
bags and think of death.jpg
56KB, 432x417px
>>92590897
>A children's cartoon with a very specifically-worded objective that is repeated in the introduction of every episode has an obvious ending
I'm pretty sure the first guy who posted about this literally stated he saw it coming from the pilot
All we're saying is that it's nice for OP to deliver for once

Yes it would have been cool to see some gritty twist that left Jack's quest unfulfilled or he has to battle aku forever to save the world or something
But most of us started watching this when we were in school, and back then we just wanted him to save the day and be the hero, even after we saw him choose to save people in the future and come back for Aku later

Fuck the other god awful shit that went on in season 5.
Now that we're grown men in our mid to late twenties, possibly even with jobs and bills and bleak dull futures ahead of us with our own "gritty twists" we're going to have to live through, it's nice for once to just go back to the viewpoint of that hopeful child and go
"Oh, he finally beat the Demon and saved his kingdom! That's nice."
>>
>>92591585
this
>>
>>92589423
Obviously hack-writer Genndy was gonna let him get back to the past, but the retard side of him made the execution of it rushed and shitty, like the rest of the episode. Bravo Genndy.
>>
>>92591465

That's a neat way to fulfill the prophecy. Too bad Ashi and the future she came from were both erased. Even if Jack went forward in time and an Ashi existed there, she wouldn't be his Ashi or have the right memories.
>>
>>92591465
I waited till after the credits fully expecting this, but no, apparently King Jack was just too cool for Genndy "Craves Communist Cocks" Tartakovsky.

>>92591585
This. Call me a childish faggot but I've never understood people who like outright dark endings, and this one was dark. Bittersweet would've been more along the lines of:

>Jack ends up alone in the past
>but he knows he saved everyone in the future

instead they lazily tied it up by just outright deleting everyone from the future.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.