[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone feel like this film didn't go far enough? I mean,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

Anyone feel like this film didn't go far enough? I mean, this is the first Marvel film to dive into the world of Magic (well, if you ignore Thor), but it feels so...empty. What should have opened the doors like Guardians of the Galaxy felt like a film that tried to bring magic, but didn't want to seem too fantastic.

I mean, the cast shrinks to just Wong and Strange at the end, and they never really feel like they leave the city environment the entire film. Am I the only one who feels like this film needed to go bigger?
>>
>>92543771
I dunno, man. Most of Thor took place on Earth in a small town, whereas Dark World was just the opposite. Since they've foreshadowed that Strange is going to help look for Odin, I think they'll really take off somewhere in the next movie. It's build-up.

And Doctor Strange still had some pretty trippy moments between dimensions.
>>
>>92543771

You're correct.

I think they played it safe. They had the multiverse and Dormammu, but at the same time they made magic just some spell casting weapons and tricks.

And most importantly, they picked Cumberbatch and made no use of his powerful voice. Spells are hand movements like Naruto, there's no recitation. This was a major turn down.
>>
>>92543771
i felt it was fine as is, it was our first taste of the mystic arts, and we did get some really trippy stuff
>>
>>92543771
Its marvel, of course they played it safe. Its why strange is essentially magic tony in the film.
>>
>>92548762
Pretty much this, they played it safe, so as not to scare people off.

While at the same time, you have to realize the most exposure to magic todays general audience is associated with is from a guy named harry, so waving their hands around and recanting incantations was bound to dredge up comparisons to that.

Maybe if they went with Asgardians being actual mythical gods instead of interdemensional aliens the magic threshold wouldn't have been such a hard barrier to get past but blame Branagh for that.
>>
>>92548762
Then they just need to have more different "schools" of magic appear in movies with different kinds of magic users with different methods of redirecting mystical energies both internal and external.
>>
>>92543771
Won't go too deep until the sequel just like GOTG
>>
he isn't the full sorcerer supreme until the end, he even has the based gloves in the thor credits

fully expect russos to juice him up and sequel for them to cut loose
>>
>>92548762
This post sums up my opinions on the whole thing so well, I literally have nothing more to add.
>>
>>92543771
I feel like that too. In fact I'd say that Doctor Strange is the most "safe" non-sequel MCU movie. I guess that they were too afraid that it could fail, it wasn't a small bet like GotG or Ant-Man. I'm not completely out of hope tho. Thor 3 seems to tap into some of GotG's weirdness and Strange's got a part in it.

Oh, the Dormammu "fight" was the best part of the movie, coincidentally being the most unique too.
>>
I'm a huge Doctor Strange fan and I really liked the movie. I agree that they played it safe, but it works and I want to see more.

I really hope the Russia maybe try and expand a bit on the magic visuals. I will be extremely dissapointed if all of Doctor Stranges magic abilities all look like this geometrical shit just in different colors.

I want to see the flames of the faltine. I want to see vapors of valtor or daggers of denak
>>
>>92543771
I thought it needed to but I never expected it to.
I think they simplified magic more than I'd like.

My hope is they're trying not to blow it all in the first movie and gradually build on things in sequels. Because I don't care how perfect they made first one if they didn't top it in upcoming movies people would get bored.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.