[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are plot device characters a hinderance to stories, or are they

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

Are plot device characters a hinderance to stories, or are they necessary?

And do you ever get frustrated for characters being limited to that?
>>
File: Asami beating Korra vol 3.jpg (140KB, 554x851px) Image search: [Google]
Asami beating Korra vol 3.jpg
140KB, 554x851px
The worst examples of some would consist of Korra, Ashi and i'd name more but those are the big ones.
>>
>>92390635
Can you at least wait until S3 before claiming Jackie is a plot device
>>
>>92391319
I'm not one of those people saying she's gonna be dropped from the show just because she's not in the intro.
But she is a plot device at the moment. There's no denying that.
>>
>>92391363
I won't try to deny Jackie's current lack of character in the series but the upcoming season could retify that overlooked flaw.
>>
>>92391432
It'll be forced to on some level. Jackie wasn't ok at the end of Starcrushed.
>>
>>92391143
ashi is not a plot device, she is just badly writen
>>
>>92390635
Man I see you're trying REALLY hard but you need to realize that nobody is going to get pissed off of Jackie hate because that's the norm of the fandom. Shit talk Starco however...
>>
File: destroying the rainforest.gif (4MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
destroying the rainforest.gif
4MB, 480x270px
>>92391669

She is literally Gennedy's OC donut steal
>>
>>92390635
Jackie has been there since the begining and I doubt she was planned solely as an eventual obstacle to starco

You can say she is a bad character if you want, but she is not a plot device
>>
>>92391831
I think it's the other way around
She certainly is a plot device but not necessarily a bad character
>>
>>92391760
Except the Jackiefags
>>
>>92391875
she changes nothing on the plot, therefore she is not a plot device

she isn't even needed the keep Star from confessing to Marco. Star herself wasn't aware of her crush for almost two entire seasons, they could have just kept using that excuse if needed
>>
>>92392023
She was more aware once Marco actually began making progress with Jackie
>>
File: 1494540398864.gif (534KB, 358x234px) Image search: [Google]
1494540398864.gif
534KB, 358x234px
>>92391363
Actually Star is just a plot device to get Marco and Jackie together. I look forward to the rebrand, Jackie vs the Forces of Evil.
>>
>>92392239
Ew
>>
>>92392239
Shippers are pure stage 4 metastasized cancer.
>>
>>92390635
they are necessary

the more characters you have, the less time you have for all of them
it is simply not possible to have a well developed personality for every character, there will always be red shirts and spear carriers, people who do their part then leave

indeed, too many strong personalities may reduce the focus on the main characters, which is not the intent of the writers
>>
>>92391815
That's literally every single character on the show, stupid.
>>
>>92390635
Who's the girl with black hair? I've never seen her before and I don't think she has a wiki article.
>>
>>92391815
I don't think you know what any of the words you wrote actually mean.
>>
>>92390635
They are necessary, but once their time is up, they should be gone for good.

Everyone just needs to accept this. It's happened before in Regular Show, Danny Phantom, Fairly Oddparents, etc. Jackie's given us good fanservice, and that's all she's really good for.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.