[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best boy is back

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 587
Thread images: 45

File: C_1VlCQUQAEOYbk.jpg large.jpg (148KB, 2048x1574px) Image search: [Google]
C_1VlCQUQAEOYbk.jpg large.jpg
148KB, 2048x1574px
Best boy is back
>>
Based on what Johns told me, there is a lot (I mean, a lot) that will unfold in this title about forces from Watchmen who have been meddling with our DCU heroes' timelines and history. And as the timer begins ticking down for Doomsday Clock this November, here are 12 things about the comic book you can set your watch to.

>1.This is not a Watchmen sequel

"It is something else. It is Watchmen colliding with the DC Universe. It is the most personal and most epic, utterly mind-bending project I have ever worked on in my career. With Rebirth, I opened the door to Manhattan. Part of that was I loved the real-world influence Watchmen has. I put Manhattan out there, and always thought there was a Manhattan/Superman story to be told, but then ... it grew. And grew. It took my heart and soul over. Still, at the core of it, there’s a being who has lost his humanity, and distanced himself from it, and an alien who embodies humanity more than most humans. I love the idea that Watchmen influenced DC, but what would that look like in reverse? And it goes well beyond that."
>>
>>92390126
I am waiting for all of the Watchmen imagery to be a giant red herring.

Turns out Superboy Prime read Watchmen, and was altering reality all along!
>>
>>92390126
what's the source on this OP?
>>
>>92390201
>2. This is a standalone story

"We’re not going to do a story like this unless we one-thousand percent believe in it. It is all about the story; it is only about the story. There are no crossovers. No watered down one-shots or mini-series on top of this one. This is a standalone story. There is only Doomsday Clock. We had no interest in doing a crossover with this. We didn’t want to see Doctor Manhattan facing off against Superman in Action Comics, with all due respect. That is not what this is about. It is about something different … It will have an impact on the entire DC Universe. It will affect everything moving forward and everything that has come before. It will touch the thematic and literal essence of DC."

>3. What characters are involved in the story

"There will be DC characters throughout this, but this focuses in on only a handful. There is a lot of focus on Superman, and Doctor Manhattan. Doctor Manhattan is a huge focus, and his reasons for being here, and doing what he does, ultimately have to do with Superman. And there are many, many more characters to be involved, but it is a bit early to discuss."

>>92390222
http://www.blastr.com/2017-5-13/dc-comics-geoff-johns-doomsday-clock-interview
>>
>>92390236
>4. The origins of the story

"When Rebirth kicked off, and I wrote the special and worked with all the teams, and all the books did their own thing, I talked to Gary, and said there is a really interesting story with Doctor Manhattan, and his point of view, and the intersection into what is the DC Universe. We debated whether we would ever want to do it, because it is a big job. We talked for six months, and the truth is, it wasn’t until the election, and post-election, that I called Gary and said, 'I’ve got the complete story.'"

>5. This is a timely story (And a story for our times?)

"It is about much more than the American president or the reactions to him. That is low hanging fruit to me. It goes bigger, deeper. It is about the world, and the attitude of people. I feel like there are extremes now everywhere, extremes on all sides. There is no more olive branch. It doesn’t exist. I feel like people, more and more, are separated. They are choosing sides, instead of figuring out how to make life better together. There is a real sense of anger, and frustration, and there is not a lot of compassion, or willingness to understand in the world. Telling a story of two extremes, and exploring what our collective zeitgeist states through these characters is what we are doing. We think it’s important … The truth is, if the world and the country didn’t go a certain way, I don’t know that we would be telling this story. For us, the story would not exist if the last year didn’t unfold the way it did, and the rise of extremism wasn't so palpable."
>>
>>92390264
>"It is about much more than the American president or the reactions to him. That is low hanging fruit to me. It goes bigger, deeper.
thank you based johns
>>
>>92390264
>6. On Johns’ partnership with Gary Frank

"I said if Gary Frank doesn’t draw this, I’m not doing this book. There is no other artist that can do this on the planet. We have been working together nonstop since, I think, 2005. Everything I have done with Gary, I would hand to somebody and say, “You want to know what I do?” This. Here is Braniac, Legion of Super Heroes, Shazam, here’s Batman: Earth One. Everything we’ve ever done together is super new-reader friendly. You can read them in any order. We meld on a creative level, and you don’t find that often. He was the only one, to me, that can capture something like this. We were working on Batman: Earth One, Vol. 3, which is almost done. And as we were, we were talking, and this came up. He was very on the fence because of the material, but once we talked about the story, we thought it was something – maybe more than anything else we’ve done – we believe in. We have never been more enthusiastic about a project. This is the most powerful creative energy I have felt working in comics. Everything I have ever done in comics has led to Doomsday Clock."

By the way, Brian Cunningham, our editor, we specifically requested him. He’s the best for us. As a team, he brings a lot of this. He’s the only other one who knows the whole story, along with Dan DiDio and Jim Lee. I feel like he is the producer, I’m the screenwriter, and Gary is the director."

>7. About that title

"It takes the iconic elements of both Superman and Watchmen, and the DC Universe. It felt like the perfect title. I like the “DC.” It used to be called “The Doomsday Clock,” but I took “The” off. Obviously people know who Doomsday is, but he’s not a part of the story, but I like the implications of it. People will think the last time they heard Doomsday and Superman, he died, so what is this going to be? What is he going to go through this time? And how will it affect them going forward?"
>>
>>92390293
>8. If Rebirth brought hope back to the DCU, will the grime of Watchmen infect it?

"That’s exactly the point of the story. Will it? Can it?

I believe in the power of these icons. I believe in the power of hope, and optimism. I don’t think it’s fake. People tend to say if it’s grim, and gritty, it’s real, and grounded. I refuse that … And I don’t care if it stirs up drama. But I want it to be drama in the right way. I think Gary and I have earned the right to do a story we believe in. With Rebirth, I think we proved we care, and take this seriously. We love Watchmen. We love the DC Universe."

>9. If there were doubts in tackling this story

"Have I had doubts about this story? That’s why it’s not coming out until November. It didn’t come out last November, or last July. Gary and I both equally thought, only if we have a story that we have to tell. It took eight months for us to go, 'You know what, we do.' We take the responsibility extremely seriously."

>10. On the emotional connection to the Rebirth Special

"The Rebirth Special was so personal, so important to me. It was not about relaunching a line. It was about a story I wanted to tell. That’s why it was good. I don’t think all my comics turn out great, but that one, I do. Because I believed in it so much. I felt it. I didn't like the DC Universe where it was, and wanted a story that put back what I missed as a fan. This challenges Rebirth, and is the story of, 'Can I reaffirm Rebirth?'"
>>
>>92390293
>Obviously people know who Doomsday is, but he’s not a part of the story, but I like the implications of it

PIECE OF SHIT
>>
File: peter david's x factor.jpg (18KB, 250x276px) Image search: [Google]
peter david's x factor.jpg
18KB, 250x276px
>DC Bendis
>>
>>92390320
>There are spoilers here for Flash #22. Each question and answer is a separate line.

11. At the end of The Flash #22, Batman sees the signal from Wayne Manor, and questions answering it...

"That’s exactly what Manhattan wanted. What he wanted was to get Bruce out of the way."

12. About the final page of The Flash #22, which shows a battered Superman shield.

"That is by design. What are the flaws in Superman? How far can Superman fall. We’re going to find out. There is still so much more to come, but we'll get deeper into it soon."
>>
>>92390293
>Doomsday is a ruse
thank Christ
>>
>>92390207
This
>>
>>92390236
>There are no crossovers. No watered down one-shots or mini-series on top of this one. This is a standalone story.

Thank christ.
>>
>>92390207
will you prime fags ever shut up he is mocking you
>>
>>92390291
That seems to be generally how DC creatives are thinking about it, more about the emotions rather than shitting on particular political opinions. King had a similar comment about his New Gods book.
>>
>>92390420
>There are no crossovers. No watered down one-shots or mini-series on top of this one.
subtle shots fired
>>
>>92390126
I thought rebirth was meant to last 2 years?
>>
File: johns a cute.jpg (42KB, 599x455px) Image search: [Google]
johns a cute.jpg
42KB, 599x455px
>>92390428
To clarify, Johns is the best boy I was referring to in the OP
>>
I hope Moore comes across Johns in Northampton's Comic-Con and busts his Green Lantern cap open with his magical pimp stick.
>>
>>92390201
>This is not a Watchmen sequel
I don't think DC can even legally make a Watchmen sequel in the first place.
>>
>>92390471

November will be about a year and a half, from Rebirth #1.
>>
>>92390471
If Doomsday Clock is 12 issues bi-monthly and Rebirth ends when it ends, it will be
>>
>>92390264
>"It is about much more than the American president or the reactions to him. That is low hanging fruit to me. It goes bigger, deeper.

Doctor Manhattan is going to be a metaphor for 4D chess
>>
>>92390201
>I love the idea that Watchmen influenced DC, but what would that look like in reverse?

Uh
>>
>>92390471
I'm not convinced this is an ending.
>>
>>92390373
So no Blue dick or do we see him before the final page
>>
>>92390512
Why not? They made a prequel
>>
>>92390566
find out this Wednesday, true believer
>>
this has potential
>>
>>92390547
Nothing really ends, Adrian.
>>
>>92390544
Watchmen doesn't have a shining beacon of hope like Superman, so what's going to happen when its characters encounter him?

...is what I got from it, anyway
>>
>>92390590
It's part of the original Watchmen contract that they need Moore's permission to do a sequel. They even offered to give him the rights back if he gave them permission to do one and he told them to fuck off. I guess the contract didn't specify prequels though so they did Before Watchmen instead.
>>
>>92390293
>Batman: Earth One, Vol. 3, which is almost done
Lets gooooo
>>
>>92390536
Is this a series or a one-shot?
>>
>>92390126
this is going to piss a lot of nerds off
>>
>>92390669
sounds like a series
>>
>>92390696
"muh sacred cow" people deserve to be pissed off
>>
>>92390126
PRIMETIME
PRIMETIME
PRIMETIME
>>
>>92390293
>Batman: Earth One, Vol. 3, which is almost done
HURRY THE FUCK UP
>>
>>92390517
>>92390536
It's been that long already??? wow shit.
>>
>>92390632
I mean, they did have the first Niteowl being inspired by Action Comics #1, but I dunno if that counts
>>
>>92390709
To me it's not about sacred cows, it's about having something that was conceived in one way, be respected for what it meant to be at least once, and stop dragging everything into the continuity cancer that ruins mainstream American comics and keeps them so backwards compared to the rest of the comics elsewhere.
This won't ruin Watchmen, because it still there and you can read it any time you want, but it certainly won't enrich it at all.
And so far, it's only showing how much Johns misunderstood the original comic.
>>
File: this mugga serious.jpg (86KB, 511x461px) Image search: [Google]
this mugga serious.jpg
86KB, 511x461px
>>92390357
>filename
Are you trying to trigger me?
>>
File: 1493045943018.jpg (232KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1493045943018.jpg
232KB, 1000x1000px
We don't deserve Geoff. Or Frank.
>>
>>92390566
It took me a minute to realize you weren't talking about Nightwing.
>>
>>92390809
It seems like you're misunderstanding Johns more than he's misunderstanding Watchmen.
>>
>>92390638
>WatchmeX never ever
>>
>>92390373
How far can Superman fall?" god dammit more of this shit?
>>
File: IMG_2548.jpg (69KB, 1195x900px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2548.jpg
69KB, 1195x900px
>>92390126
Thank you Based Johns.

I hope this is Prime Time but I'll take Johns and Frank writing Superdad too.
>>
This sounds good. I hope Johns delivers.
>>
>>92390606
Ok Anon ill do that
>>
>>92390707
I guess what's making me doubt it is that pointing out that it's just one story and it mainly focuses on Manhattan and Superman (though it will matter for other stuff) feels like it's just another large one-shot to me. But he also says that it grew bigger than intended, so I don't know.
>>
>>92390873
it's probably going to be Manhattan trying to beat Superman down and make him break but Superman just never gives up and we all have a good cry together
>>
>doubting Johns on Superman

Fools
>>
>>92390860
Ha, as if there were any layers to anything Johns ever wrote.
>>
>>92390846
Ahaha anon
>>
>>92390845
They have their faults.
Like Frank copypasting the same smug face for Freddie Freeman in Shazam and Harvey Bullock in the first volume of Batman E1.
>>
>>92390916
Secret Origin was pretty boring.
>>
>>92390236
No crossovers or tie ins. Thank you based Geoff Johns.
>>
>>92390916
his New 52 run was middling and his Pre-Flashpoint run kind of went to shit with New Krypton
>>
>>92390920
He's literally telling you what it's about and you still don't understand. It's not deep.
>>
>>92390916
Is Donner co-writing this too? If not they're right to doubt.
>>
>>92390944
>Secret Origin was pretty boring.
Fool
>>
>>92390955
>his Pre-Flashpoint run kind of went to shit with New Krypton
Didn't he fuck off before it ended?
>>
>>92390977
It was. Ad hominem won't change facts.
>>
How likely this end with Manhattan returing to his world expecting a nuclear wasteland but finding people are still alive and happy because HOPE
>>
>>92390977
Agreed. Boring is being way too kind.
>>
>>92390955
Bew 52 was cut short and there was a lot more wrong eith new krypton than johns
>>
File: thinking face emoji.png (17KB, 120x120px) Image search: [Google]
thinking face emoji.png
17KB, 120x120px
>marvel's overarching longcon story about fascism
>dc's about extremism on both sides and extreme polarization

Really makes you wonder.
>>
>>92390998
we probably won't see Earth-Watchmen
>>
>>92390944
It was ok, but not really meant to be something on its own. It was mostly just streamlining all the retcons he made during his run and publishing them in one place.
>>
>>92390782
>>92390632
The happy ending of Irredeemable?
>>
>>92391002
>>92390996
>Superboy issues
>Mad scientist Lex
>fat asshole Parasite

"Borring"
>>
>>92390998
Fuck I hope not but you're probably right. It'll end with Manhattan in some way saying the DC Universe is better because Superman inspires people.
>>
>>92390916
>Donnerman
Sorry but fuck that
>>
>>92390995
Johns basically only wrote the setup then left to do BN.
>>
>>92390944
Boring is better than shit
>>
File: 1482105788413.gif (392KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1482105788413.gif
392KB, 250x250px
Oh boy here we go
>>
>superman is being influenced by watchmen
>loses his smile
>his suit becones more gray
>looks more like cavill
>>
>>92391045
or the ending of All-Star Superman #10 that Waid stole the ending of Irredeemable from
>>
>>92390956
Exactly, that's my point. I understood everything he said and it sounds like it'll be hot garbage that will completely miss the point of Watchmen.
>>
>>92391074
Not really. Something that's shit can at least be entertaining in some way.
>>
>>92390916
I wonder who's parent he's going to kill this time.
>>
>>92391103
That you still seem to think this is about Watchmen the story and not about the reception to it shows that you literally aren't paying attention to what Johns has been saying for over a year now.
>>
>>92390126
FUCK
Now I have to go back to like, January or some shit and catch up on a bunch of crap!
I'm not actually pissed, relieved, actually, that I got this excuse to catch up now rather than later. Just gonna be a pain in the ass
>>
>>92390236
>There is a lot of focus on Superman, and Doctor Manhattan. Doctor Manhattan is a huge focus, and his reasons for being here, and doing what he does, ultimately have to do with Superman.
There you go Superfags, Johns is going to make up for Boon shitting on you guys.
>>
>>92391053
>>Superboy issues
These were OK, kinda wish they showed more of the Legion.

>>Mad scientist Lex
Was done better in Last Son.

>>fat asshole Parasite
Not a fan myself. It didn't really help the character in any way, and making some some hungry fatass was way too on the nose.

My biggest problem is that it jerks off the Donner movies waaay too much once he gets to Metropolis, and it becomes more preocupied with being an homage than telling a good story.
>>
>>92391128
there's not that much to catch up on, just The Button and maybe Superman Reborn if you're feeling frisky
>>
>>92391128
There's basically nothing to catch up on. Rebirth is only the DCU one-shot by Johns, the Button, and now this. That's 5 issues total of backreading.
>>
File: Manta How's Wife and Kid.jpg (239KB, 850x850px) Image search: [Google]
Manta How's Wife and Kid.jpg
239KB, 850x850px
>>92391104
Different strokes then anon. I'd rather have boring stories than shitpostable ones
>>
>>92391136
By shitting even harder
>>
>>92390955
The only things wrong with his new 52 run were JRJR and the fact that he had to leave before he could actually do anything.
>>
>>92391191
Yeah, the only standout issue was the powerless one.
Fucking great. One arc was too short.
>>
>>92391158
>>92391163
Yeah, but I like being caught up on all the stuff I bother reading before getting into a new story arc. Just a compulsion of mine.
>>
>>92391124
Yeah, the reception by him, who didn't get what the comic was trying to say.
>>
>>92391205
He clearly had planned for more based on public comments when he first got on it and you could see the setup cues. I think it was WB who only wanted him on one comic at time? Kind of shitty.
>>
>>92391243
So what WAS the comic trying to say according to you?
>>
>>92390911
Manhattan tells him that Jon is really his son
>>
>>92390207

I was hoping for a red herring into Boss Smiley
>>
>>92390207
It would fit the metanarrative of DC Rebirth and its mission statement
>>
>>92390291
Spencer btfo>>92390293
>>
inb4 Superman gets Saint walker's Blue lantern ring CUS KIIBO DA
>>
So remember when Doctor Manhattan killed Rorschach for not being able to compromise on his moral. What if this story is about Doctor Manhattan being unable to kill Superman and having to convince him to comprise his morals to protect the lives.
>>
>>92391345
This doesn't fit to me because Johns already had SBP repent during Blackest Night and it basically seemed like the point of that was Johns saying he'd stop fucking with the kid and making him do wrong.
>>
The best stuff always comes out in the fall
>>
>>92390264
>It is about much more than the American president or the reactions to him. That is low hanging fruit to me.

DAMN. Apply cold water to that burn, Spencer
>>
>>92390873
If Manhattan is experimenting with the DCU he's going to want to try to experiment with Superman. I'm guessing this will be him pushing Supes to his limits to try to take him apart, literally trying to deconstruct and reconstruct him.
>>92391174
You're delusional. Johns loves Superman, if anyone is going to get shitted on it's going to be Batman.
>>
>>92390126
>Johns is about to destroy Marvel for the second time
Legacy will be dead in the water.
>>
>>92391708
Metal is already going to kill Legacy. This is just salt in the wound.
>>
>>92390782
Golden Age Supes was a dick and a totally different character, so I'd say nah.

>>92391478
>Venditti GL
>Being relevant to the greater DCU
>Ever
>>
File: Watchmen 1.jpg (118KB, 1025x303px) Image search: [Google]
Watchmen 1.jpg
118KB, 1025x303px
>Manhattan: I remember when I first read about you in 1938.

>Superman: What?
>>
>it wasn’t until the election, and post-election, that I called Gary and said, 'I’ve got the complete story.'"

God I would love if it's this anarchist story like it should be, completely mocking the leftist authoritarian left Marvel is peddling.
>>
File: large.jpg (36KB, 615x370px) Image search: [Google]
large.jpg
36KB, 615x370px
>>92391487
>Doctor Manhattan being unable to kill Superman

Superman is the idea of the greater good.

Ideas are bulletproof.
>>
>>92391767
why did doctor m get rid of Kyle's white lantern ring when he tried to revive the hope lanterns anon

Doctor m hates Kiibou Da
>>
>>92391732
>Metal is already going to kill Legacy.
Kek no. Even if it had the potential, the greatest threat to Marvel right now is Marvel.
>>
>>92391783
I don't know if it can be done with just Manhattan and Superman, but I always felt that the proper sequel to Watchmen would just be a scathing attack on Francis Fukuyama's End of History
>>
>>92391843

Metal and Dark Matter are getting 10x more press than legacy. Once people found out that Marvlel was half-stepping and pandering to both sides hype died.
>>
why couldn't they of gotten a talented writer to do this? DC employs Yang, literately a comic book genius
>>
>>92391825
Oh shit I forgot about that
>>
>>92390320
>People tend to say if it’s grim, and gritty, it’s real, and grounded. I refuse that
Based Johns
>>
>>92391783
Johns is very clearly thinking along the lines of collaboration. Anarchy seems more "don't work with anyone". Or is there are more specific political usage of anarchist that I'm unfamiliar with?
>>
>>92391907

Anarchy actually requires more communal collaboration, it just simply means there is no "leader"
>>
>>92391893
Yang should not be allowed to write other people's characters.

Like Lemire
>>
>>92391937
how many Eisners does Johns have?
>>
>>92391937
His Superman fight club arc was good. Only Avatar (ghost-scripted?) and the direct Truth crossover shit was bad.
>>
>>92391893

>
>>
>>92391893
Have you read his avatar comics
>>
>>92390632
superman is going to stop ozimandias plan (stop the doomsday clock of watchmen in the last moment), he will beat the squid and bring hope to watchmen world.
For Manhattan a human who was losing humanity ozymandias plans needed to end in the programmed doomsday and suddenly an alien full of humanity shows another way.
Maybe that is the reason for Manhattan to meddle with dc universe, to test Superman way. To watch if the DC heroes can overcome a world more grim and gritty.
>>
>>92391933
Thanks. Never really thought about it that way.
>>
>>92391968
no because I'm not a child who reads licensed comics
>>
>>92391813
I wonder how long it'll be before they try and cram V into the DC universe, seeing how they're already forcing in Watchmen.
>>
>>92392011
It's the same shit as this man
>>
>>92392012
I don't think DC owns V since it started in Warrior
>>
>>92392012
I'd like to just have background characters seen reading V, and other famous publications. Just leave it as that.
>>
>>92392012
They already have Anarky
>>
>>92392012
Watchmen in theory (we'll see the execution) works for something like this because it has meaning. No one actually gives a shit about V.
>>
>>92392077
DC bought it from Warrior and finished it.
>>
Might as well be the Doomsday Clock for the DC Universe as we know it. Although it died a long time ago now.
>>
File: RCO020_1490175590.jpg (2MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
RCO020_1490175590.jpg
2MB, 1988x3056px
>>92391894
>>
>>92392012
Isn't V somehow in the Miracle Man continuity?
>>
>>92390293
>We were working on Batman: Earth One, Vol. 3, which is almost done.
YESSSS YOU FAGGOT. GIVE ME THAT SHIT RIGHT FUCKING NOW.
>>
>>92391893
Yang's Avatar comics were dog shit
>>
>>92391708
Legacy was stillborn
>>
Will DC actually try to mess with superman after they finally fixed things up with reborn? They don't have the guts to actually change anything at this point do they?
>>
>>92392240
>That callback to Blackest Night
Unf
>>
>>92392448
Reborn made things worse tbqh. Should have just given him the family and a few events without wrecking the entire timeline again.
>>
File: IMG_2183.jpg (45KB, 300x351px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2183.jpg
45KB, 300x351px
>>92392236
More like the countdown to the final death of Marvel interns
>>
>>92392448
They don't have to change anything about him to make the story happen.
>>
>>92391243
Pretty sure it's more about the industry's reception of Watchmen. How cape comics as a whole just took the book at face value, and dove headfirst into the grim-n-gritty dark age thing.
>>
>>92392495
Do you even know who Shrinking Violet is, you fake fucking fan?
>>
>>92392495
Who is this character? I thought she was Kate Bishop the first time I saw the image.
>>
>>92391276
Well, it's actually too long to say here, because it says many things at the same time. But the main problem I see with Johns (and many other people's) take is that they seem to think Watchmen is trying to present a new reality of how comics should be, and that was never the point of it. He's forcing the Watchmen characters to represent something they do not, at least as long as you actually care to read the comic and interpret what it is saying (which isn't very hard or super deep, but it seems to be for people like Johns).
Everything Johns says about this thing just sounds extremely shallow and that it's just a shitty justification to bring the Watchmen characters into the main universe to milk even more money from them.
>>
>>92392541
an ugly dyke
>>
>>92392448
Mess how? With his continuity? Doubtful, but if you're asking if Manhattan is going to try to take him apart to see how he works then yes.
>>92392493
If Batfags and GLfags could somehow accept the timeline bullshit of early New 52, or Marvelfags accepting that X-Men/Spider-Man's 50 years worth of stories somehow all happened in the span of like 10 years in-universe, I think Superfags will be fine.
>>
>>92392569
>ut the main problem I see with Johns (and many other people's) take is that they seem to think Watchmen is trying to present a new reality of how comics should be, and that was never the point of it.
when rebirth came out he literally said that the problem was people thought that all comics should be that. he is agreeing with you
>>
>>92392533
And he's doing this by taking Watchmen at face value himself?
>>
The answer to a postmodern fiction such as Watchmen would and should inherently be a modern fiction. I also think it is fitting that Gary Frank draws this story. He is really technically efficient as well as THE SUPERMAN ARTIST or the Curt Swan of our era. Good luck to you Johns, hope you can pull it off.
>>
>>92392541
Lol well then. Thanks. Only know Threeboot and Retroboot versions
>>
>>92392569
Johns is literally making the same point that you're saying. That people (readers, creators, publishers in general) took the wrong ideas from Watchmen be he has explicitly said that the story itself was not the problem.

Why can't you accept that you are on the same side as him?
>>
>tfw almost two full years of excellent DC comics
Good times people.
>>
>>92392569
>Well, it's actually too long to say here, because it says many things at the same time. But the main problem I see with Johns (and many other people's) take is that they seem to think Watchmen is trying to present a new reality of how comics should be, and that was never the point of it.
That is literally Johns fucking arguement, that using Watchmen as a blueprint for mainstream capeshit is a mistake. Did any of you even bother to read the interviews around Rebirth's start?

Dr. M is a stand in for the editors at DC who don't understand the characters and keep trying to change them to make them fit their vision.
>>
>>92392375

He also had very little involvement in them. He's gone on record that he basically just wrote what Bryke told him to write, which is what led to shit like Mai's horrible characterization.
>>
>>92390236
>It will have an impact on the entire DC Universe. It will affect everything moving forward and everything that has come before.

Like everything else....
>>
>>92392648
>Dr. M is a stand in for the editors at DC who don't understand the characters and keep trying to change them to make them fit their vision.
And they do this by misunderstanding watchmen and changing it to fit their vision
>>
>>92392571
Pretty sure only Retroboot is gay.
>>
>>92390264
>It is about much more than the American president or the reactions to him. That is low hanging fruit to me. It goes bigger, deeper.
Thank fucking christ.
>>
>>92392585
Of course the characters are going to approach it at face value, because they're just characters. In-fiction, that's how it'll be handled. But if the story is meant to undermine the ideas presented by a shallow read of Watchmen, all it's really doing is digging up that buried meaning to show people in a more obvious way.

Basically, it sounds like the intent is to make the subtexts of Watchmen more obvious, on the supposition that the industry just didn't "get it."
>>
>>92392690
Except they aren't what the fuck are you even on about?
>>
>>92390264
Damn, Johns is tuned into the Zeitgeist. I agree with everything he said about people choosing sides and there being no olive branch. It's leading to conflict right now unless we can change it.
>>
>>92392704
Isnt that the gay version the esrth 0 one in the pic not eartg 257 or earth 33?
>>
I don't like how Gary Frank draws Superman.
>>
>>92392704
I think she would be bisexual not gay

Also cute, not ugly
>>
>>92392777
Sorta. Retroboot did some retcons so it's not technically the same as the classic Earth-One Legion.
>>
>>92392495
Nice company wars.
>>
>>92392690
The message of Watchmen is that heroes in reality would be shitty fucked up people. Rebirth is a response to that. I fail to see how DC has misunderstood it at all.
>>
>>92391783
If anything it is going to preach collectivism. Moore was an Anarchist and thought Collectivism in real world scenario would have great burdens and consequences. But Moore was also against Individualism.
>>
>>92392772
>makong a truce with libcuck sjws
We only elected trump to btfo you whu would we make peace
>>
File: IMG_2046.jpg (89KB, 550x680px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2046.jpg
89KB, 550x680px
>>92392805
Nice shitpost.
>>
>>92392648
First off: he was part of that. As much as you guys try to put him as some sort of Silver Age guy (as if that would be any good), his comics are full of shallow grimdark shit.

Second: he's trying to make that point by continuing to use Watchmen at face value? You really think that somebody who read and understood Watchmen would think it would be a great idea make those characters into the main universe and have Superman face Manhattan?

It's pretty much him just saying "I was pretending to be retarded", while continuing to act like a retard.
>>
>>92392783
>>92392803
I only know vi beong gay from 5 years later where she is battlescrred and only implied to be with a
>>
>>92392843
>First off: he was part of that. As much as you guys try to put him as some sort of Silver Age guy (as if that would be any good), his comics are full of shallow grimdark shit.
People can change their mind. The directors cut extended universe probably broke him inside and made him wamt to change things
>>
>>92392852
That carried over into Retroboot, but she was shipped with guys before so I don't think she's "full gay" even then.
>>
>>92392782
Shit taste desu family.
>>
>>92391498
To be fair, SBP's wait of helping may have made everything worse.
>>
>>92392888
>bisexuals
>existing
>>
>>92392937
in the future anything is possible
>>
>>92392491
Yfw Doctor M Rees at Barry this week in the button cuz he still got some hope lantern in him
>>
>>92392843
>First off: he was part of that. As much as you guys try to put him as some sort of Silver Age guy (as if that would be any good), his comics are full of shallow grimdark shit.
First off: Doesn't mean he can't act against. Alan Moore is also guilty of it and has said he regrets writing stuff like TKJ. Do you get butthurt at him?
>Second: he's trying to make that point by continuing to use Watchmen at face value? You really think that somebody who read and understood Watchmen would think it would be a great idea make those characters into the main universe and have Superman face Manhattan?
What does that even mean? What's their face value? He's fucking using them because Watchmen helped bring about the Dark Age you moron.

It sounds like you're the one taking everything at face value.
>>
>>92392886
That's why he shills those movies all the time and has a Gal Gadot Wondy avatar in twitter, right?
>>
>>92392886
Sorry, but I don't buy this bullshit. It's just more cynical crap from the guys that brought you the New52.
>>
>>92392843
Your problem is that you inherently believe that using anything Watchmen in a metaphor about it crosses the line into attacking the story itself. You are very much a sacred cow type.
>>
>>92392978
so you've read it, then?
>>
It's incredibly lazy using Watchmen for this, imo, and using Dr. Manhattan as an avatar of gritty comics or the bygone era is pretty fucking nonsensical and not really in line with the ending.. or the character... on any level.
>>
>>92392886
>DCEU saves DC... just not in the intended way
That's a very funny idea. Thanks for putting it in my head
>>
>>92392978
Then you're an idiot. Nothing more to say. Rebirth was about as noncynical as you can get. Wally came back and spent the whole issue talking about love, legacy, and hope. He didn't almost die cursing Barry or raping a chick. He almost died thanking Barry for the time he had.
>>
>>92392974
Wonder woman despite being set in ww 1 doesnt seem as bleek and miserable as bvs. Also he is the cco he cant shit on dc movies
>>
>>92392886
Honestly Johns is never grimdark. He is just hyperviolent. His stories tonally go completely against grimdark-ness. Anyone who disagrees has very poor reading comprehension skills.
>>
>>92392930
Legion of 3 Worlds was a beautiful trainwreck, though.
>>
>>92393040
>Murders a man to keep another man's mass murder a secret in order to avert nuclear warfare.
Manhattan isn't evil but he sure as fuck isn't a "good" guy. There were no good guys in Watchmen.
>>
>>92392375
you just admitted to reading Avatar comics
>>
>>92393045
>Wonder woman despite being set in ww 1 doesnt seem as bleek and miserable as bvs.
Excuses, excuses.

>Also he is the cco he cant shit on dc movies
He can just not talk about them instead of hyping them up every time one's about to come out.
>>
>>92393012
I never said it was attacking the story itself, I said it was there to be read and enjoyed, and this won't do anything to ruin it for me or anybody else. I'm not a butthurt crybaby. I just think this is yet another cynical bullshit cashgrab from a shitty writer like Johns, and that if he would've gotten Watchmen, he would just leave it the fuck alone because that's the best way to treat that.
Everything else he says about this just sounds like Kingdom Come 2.0 and that one had the decency to create new characters to make the point and not to continue misrepresenting an existing work.
>>
>>92390293
Of you love Frank so much why'd you let his art book get cancelled you cereal loving ass
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (50KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
50KB, 1280x720px
>>92390207
DELETE THIS
>>
>>92392648
So to convey that comics shouldn't be influenced by Watchmen... he's having Watchmen characters influence comics.

It does prove that that point, I suppose, it is a bad idea.
>>
>>92393113
>He can just not talk about them instead of hyping them up every time one's about to come out
He really can't. The guy spearheading the thing not being excited about it sends a hugely negative message. He's just doing what's expected of someone in his position.
>>
>>92393133
He needed frank to draw a shitty shazam story and shittier batman booka
>>
>>92392319

Just a silly fan theory.
>>
>>92393120
You sound extremely butthurt when you claim that Johns is somehow misrepresenting the story by using a character from it in a metaphor about industry reaction to it.

He is not misrepresenting it. He is not representing it at all. It's pure delusion to suggest that using the character would mean that.

I agree that it's not particularly unique or anything though.
>>
File: 1493328922754.gif (2MB, 280x211px) Image search: [Google]
1493328922754.gif
2MB, 280x211px
>no Dave Gibbons on art
>>
>>92393044
>Wally came back and spent the whole issue talking about love, legacy, and hope.
Man, you guys are really so fucking gullible. The same guys that made Flashpoint and the New52 write a couple of pages of cheesy and sappy crap and you're already drinking the kool aid?
This is the same fucking people in charge of DC from the past 7 years for fuck's sake.
>>
>>92393236
they want to do their own story, not just Watchmen Too
>>
>>92393274

You sound like a fun person to be around.
>>
>>92393274
This isn't true. They cleaned out editorial like 3 years ago and that's when DC started getting good again.
>>
>>92393274
How much does the mouse pay you
>>
File: IMG_0731.jpg (556KB, 1678x873px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0731.jpg
556KB, 1678x873px
>>92393213
I rarely get art books but Franks art is fucking great
>>
>>92390320
Doctor Manhattan transferring all the grimdark from the Watchmen universe to the New 52 CONFIRMED
>>
>>92393298
Dude, it's the same fucking people up there. Johns, Lee, Didio. Isn't even Bob Harras still there?
And no, the mouse doesn't pay me anything. I don't read any Marvel comics.
>>
File: 1494542169895.jpg (24KB, 400x397px) Image search: [Google]
1494542169895.jpg
24KB, 400x397px
>>92390201
>>92390236
>>92390264
>>92390293
>>92390320
If what he's saying isn't bullshit, Geoff Johns is currently the most based man in comics right now. Praise be to our king
>>
>>92393325
New 52 Mary Marvel makes me feel funny feelings
>>
MARVEL >>>>> DC
4ever
>>
I really appreciate how good Johns has gotten at throwing shade. He's so sly with it that you wouldn't even know he was talking shit unless you absolutely know full context of the drama.

It's shit like this that makes me think that he's intentionally writing male friendships really, really gay instead of just accidentally.
>>
Johns is literately Bendis
can't wait until Miracleman fights Spider-Man
>>
>>92393485
there is no way Hal/Sinestro is accidental
>>
>>92393274
New 52 was editorial mandate. Geoff was planning a rather big flash story that was cut short by the new 52.
>>
Seems kind of an odd timing considering Metal will be in full force. They probably should have waited until January.
>>
>>92390201
>Still, at the core of it, there’s a being who has lost his humanity, and distanced himself from it, and an alien who embodies humanity more than most humans.
noice
>>92390207
no
>>92390236
>There are no crossovers. No watered down one-shots or mini-series on top of this one. This is a standalone story.
marvel btfo
>>92390264
>It is about much more than the American president or the reactions to him. That is low hanging fruit to me.
marvel and indiefags btfo
>>92390293
>DC = Doomsday Clock
kek
>>
>>92393556
Editorial mandate by the same editors that are still there, using the same writer for the event they used for that other event?
Sorry for thinking it's just more of the same bullshit when it's obviously something completely different.
By the way, I'm not pissed at the reboot itself. It gave a chance for new writers to start fresh and gave us pontenial good stories, but the whole event and Watchmen thing is just a fucking cashgrab, like all this shit always is.
>>
>>92393638
That anon is half-right, Dido got an order from way up the corporate chain to get sales up or else. He decided along with Lee to do a reboot. Johns didn't really get a say.
>>
>>92393638
Oh yeah? Well, you know what? U-Go Girl is deeeeaaaad.
>>
>>92390126
Is this going to be the final nail in the coffin of Marvel Comics? There's no way Legacy outsells this when they can't even outsell Rebirth into its #20s.
>>
>>92393900
Legacy is going to be the final nail in the Marvel Comics coffin and by extension the print comics industry as we know it
>>
>>92393900
Legacy could be saved if the surprise page reveals that Marvel is doing a crossover with DC into Rebirth.

But they are likely too prideful to do it.
>>
>>92393874
I don't think that's cranky, senpai.
>>
>>92393900
>>92393925
Why do you think that this is anything special for Marvel? They've had failed events before. I think you guys are being blinded to common sense by your HAPPENING goggles.
>>
>>92390445
King said the same thing during his Mr. Miracle interview. They don't want to put their political opinions on the page, no matter what it is. Unlike Spencer, who is about as subtle as a baseball bat to the face.
>>
>>92393874
I don't even know who or what U-Go Girl is.
>>
>>92394011
Marvel's sales have been declining pretty steadily since Secret Wars ended, and if Secret Empire continues to underperform, that bodes ill for Legacy/Make Mine Marvel. Marvel might not go under, but it's definitely approaching a crisis point
>>
marvel sales & movies >>> dc repost
>>
Johns is Bendis but without 5 Eisners
>>
>>92394082
Marvel Studios and Marvel Comics are entirely separate divisions. The success of one in no way affects the other.
>>
File: 1446051919644.png (601KB, 594x542px) Image search: [Google]
1446051919644.png
601KB, 594x542px
>>92394082
>>92394102
>>
>>92394011
Because Marvel's sales have pretty much tanked since their focus on removing everything that made Marvel popular in the first place. Rebirth has been crushing them in sales, so their response is to do their own Rebirth without any of the humbleness behind it, while continuing to push their diversity crap that no one buys. Once Legacy fails and this story shits on it in sales, what is Marvel's next plan?
>>
>>92394082
>marvel sales
>flash and batman outsold secret empire
>>
>>92394102
Johns is Bendis but without being a retard
>>
>>92394102
Bendis doesn't have Johns record for relaunching c or d-listers into top sellers. Johns entire rep is making characters like JSA, Booster Gold, Hawkman and Aquaman sell. Bendis is a failure on that front as seen with his Moon Knight and Spider-Woman standalone books.
>>
>>92394223
The thing with Johns is that he genuinely loves characters and wants you to love them too.
>>
Reminder that Rorschach's final journal entry was November 1st. November 1st is a Wednesday this year.
>>
>>92394310
I really enjoy this
>>
>>92394310
Nice catch
>>
>>92394205
Mark Millar has more Einsers than Johns
>>
>>92394011
The thing is whenever they had some kind of downturn they usually upturn fast or at least look like they were doing better than DC. DC beat them with the New 52 for like the first four to six months, but Marvel eventually recovered with AvX and the first Marvel Now and Superior Spider-Man.

But something happened since the ANAD launch. Spencer's Hydra Cap reveal got attention in the media, but unlike other things that got attention (like Death of Cap), it didn't add much of a sales boost to the Cap ongoing other than sales on the first issue. Subsequent issues were around like Remender's sales levels which would be okay for a Cap ongoing but not an ongoing that had gotten a lot of attention and deliberate hype pushed for it.

And Civil War II had a mediocre reception in spite of the high orders it got (which were still lower than a lot of events in the 00's). Even the hyped up issue with the death of a character (which turned out to be Bruce Banner) was mostly forgotten. That's a pretty bad sign.
>>
>>92394223
>who is Spider-Man
>>
>>92394370
WOW IT'S ALMOST LIKE THE EISNERS ARE BULLSHIT NONSENSE
>>
So is this the big payoff of Rebirth or is it another chapter before the grand finale like The Button?
>>
>>92394370
I know you like memes, but if you would read some of his work you might understand why. His DC stuff especially is quite good.

>>92394412
The exclusion of Young Animal this year basically proves this to be true.
>>
>>92394412
or your Cereal Lord is basically writing for babies
>>
>>92394456
I'm the biggest Mark Millar fan on this board
he should be writing this Superman story
>>
>>92394437
Just reading this it feels like a middle step, but it might just be because he's being coy with details.
>>
File: 1481622004640.jpg (99KB, 656x985px) Image search: [Google]
1481622004640.jpg
99KB, 656x985px
>>92394377
Also the second Marvel Now (which had launches between October and November) had a lackluster reception when it was announced (as seen in this CBR poll), and that ended up being reflected in sales. Seven months in and the vast majority of the Marvel Now 2.0 launches aren't doing that well.
>>
>>92390126
What I don't understand is, it is this doctor Manhattan and Ozzy or is it everyone? because I think The Comedian and Rorschach are dead and I don't think Nite-Owl and silk spectre retired.
>>
>>92394504
>CBR poll
>>
>>92394463
explain why Young Animal and Flintstones got snubbed this year while Mockingbird got nominated twice and Squirrel got nominated again
>>
>>92394527
Mockingbird only had two bad issues. Didn't deserve a nom but people should stop talking about it in the same breath as those complete creative disasters.
>>
>>92394527
YA and Flinstones are good, Shade is actually my favorite but Mockingbird actually had a few issues that experimented with story structure and were pretty darn interesting in their own right
the only real argument against the Eisner's is Moore's books not sweeping them every single year he publishes one
>>
>>92394310
yooo
>>
>>92390320
>I believe in the power of these icons. I believe in the power of hope, and optimism. I don’t think it’s fake. People tend to say if it’s grim, and gritty, it’s real, and grounded. I refuse that … And I don’t care if it stirs up drama. But I want it to be drama in the right way. I think Gary and I have earned the right to do a story we believe in. With Rebirth, I think we proved we care, and take this seriously. We love Watchmen. We love the DC Universe."

Johns making me hard. Also a big fuck you to that hack Zack Snyder.
>>
>>92394588
oh hey guess what else didn't get nominated at all this year
>>
>>92390293
#6 is giving me hypercrisis vibes. Hope this comes off as a tasteful story. i really want Rebirth to succeed. truly despised the nu-52 initiative and hope DC is able to correct itself.
>>
>>92394519
Yeah, you'd think a place full of Marvel shills and fans would've said they were excited over Marvel Now 2.0 but they weren't.
>>
>>92390293

>DC
>Doomsday Clock

This is going to be big

Johns is attempting to change the very fabric and course of history regarding DC comics.

how will you feel when "DC" no longer stands for "Detective Comics?"
>>
>>92394615
>We love Watchmen
Sure you do, pal. Manhattan vs Superman is the ultimate proof of your love for Watchmen.
>>
>>92391782
>Superman: What?

Member of the Multiverse commune with each other via comic books. This was established in like 1956 with Barry Allen Flash, and is the ENTIRE point of Multiversity.

Superman would not be in the remotest bit surprised.
>>
>>92394397
An A-lister? Ultimate and Amazing were at parity for most of the run
>>
>>92394706
>Manhattan vs Superman
It's almost like you didn't read the article.
>>
>>92394294
>The thing with Johns is that he genuinely loves characters and wants you to love them too.
This. Bendis writes characters when he hears there's a movie coming out.
>>
>>92390126
So will this happen before #1000 of action comics? Thats probably going to be their next event/celebration then, leading up to #1000.
>>
>>92394733
Bendis also only really cares about characters he creates.
>>
>>92394791
and Luke Cage and Kitty Pryde
>>
>>92394727
Ok, Superman meets Manhattan. Happier? My point still stands.
>>
>>92394777
Action 1000 is 20 away so another year or two

but I don't expect it to be an event, just a special issue with superstars
>>
File: PRAISE HIM.png (304KB, 780x1034px) Image search: [Google]
PRAISE HIM.png
304KB, 780x1034px
>>
>>92394294
agreed. john's seems to be happy to write comics and play with the characters whereas bendis write s comics to push his own agenda.
>>
>>92393325

I can't stand his Christopher Reeves Superman, but otherwise I agree.
>>
>>92394777
>>92394818
Action Comics #1000 is next March, assuming no delays.

If they delayed it by 3 weeks, it would come out on the 80th anniversary of Action Comics #1
>>
File: IMG_2979.png (555KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2979.png
555KB, 640x640px
>>92390264
>It is about much more than the American president or the reactions to him. That is low hanging fruit to me
>>
>>92394818
>>92394941
The rumor going around is that it'll have a big relation to the DCU, according to ex-Superman artists.
>>
>>92394223

In a Bendis comic you just get his lol writing.

In a Johns comic you get his exploration of a characters history via story. You learn why you should care and continue on once he leaves.
>>
>>92394978
>his exploration of a characters history
Meanwhile Bendis literally ignores everything regarding a character's previous personality and history
>>
>>92394964
Source?
>>
>>92394706
>Manhattan vs Superman is the ultimate proof of your love for Watchmen.

Actually it is, because it doesn't treat Watchmen like some sacred cow.

Watchmen is a superhero book, so why can't the characters for that superhero story cross over with other characters from other superheroes stories when half the point of superhero stories is doing crossovers?
>>
>>92392569
>Johns doesn't get Watchmen
>Then what is it about anon?
>Uhh... just read the comic.
>>
>>92395024

Not everything. He points out things he finds stupid and degrading.
>>
some people take funny books too seriously

no wonder Alan Moore hates comics
>>
>>92390264
So basically If trump never won we'd never have watchmen vs D.C.
Thanks /pol/...
>>
>>92395121
Alan Moore loves comics

he hates the Big 2 being fuckboys
>>
>>92394223
>>92394294
The Flash Rogues would never have taken off without Johns. They were considered a joke before he started writing them, and writers like Waid were openly contemptuous of them.
>>
>>92390264
>pretending political division only arrived in the last election
Bush was called a Nazi before Trump even considered not being a democrat.
>>
>>92395149
best taste
>>
>>92395127
No the first part came out before the election. We were always getting a Manhattan/DCU story, just the execution of this second part was going to be different.
>>
>>92395109
You mean like Scarlet Witch? Where he instead just piled on the degrading elements that Byrne first retconned in.
>>
>>92392819
>assuming I'm a libcuck

Neat.
>>
>>92395149
No Alan Moore likes comics. He just hates superheroes and think they are over-represented and overrated.
>>
>>92395191
lol fuck gypsies
>>
>>92395191

Or pointing out and laughing about Jim Shooter fucking up Carol's history and having her go off with her kid or whatever that was.

Or D-Man. Every time he touches D-Man.
>>
>>92391708
Of course it will. This is Marvel here. They will just relaunch everything again in 2018 .
>>
>>92394102
Johns has the Japanese equivalent. And Japan has better taste than current Eisner judges.
>>
>>92394978
The fact that Bendis has been their golden boy for like 13 years now shows why they are so screwed atm.
>>
>>92395243
>Japan better at anything besides https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96iJsdGkl44&feature=player_embedded
>>
>implying this isn't a Legion story
>>
>>92395271
could say the same about Johns
>>
>>92395271

He'd probably be good if he wasn't chasing MCU bucks and had an editor to tell him no and remind him that his plot points should go somewhere.
>>
File: Harold06.jpg (190KB, 1268x1695px) Image search: [Google]
Harold06.jpg
190KB, 1268x1695px
>>92390126
Finally.

GET HYPE
E
T

H
Y
P
E
>>
>>92395271
Which exemplifies the problem with the Alonso era. All their a-list are writers they inherited from their predecessors. They have pretty much failed on building a new writer stable and fall back on guys like Bendis/Aaron/Slott/Waid.
>>
File: 1451883325319.png (216KB, 439x493px) Image search: [Google]
1451883325319.png
216KB, 439x493px
> wanting more watchmen/dc integration

i'm not even a moorefag, and i think this is terrible

am i the only one?

DC should just keep telling great stories out fo rebirth like they are with the madman priest, nightwing, orlando midnighter, ellis stormwatch, etc, anything but this

this watchmen wank is the biggest mistake of rebirth, the button isn't necessary. if johns wants to fulfill his moore boner (like he failed with in blackest night), he should use morrison's NOT-watchmen earth instead as a stand in. stop crapping and diluting the legacy of something great
>>
>>92394633
Mother fucker. You better not be telling me Providence got snubbed.
>>
>>92395158
Name calling is not really what he's talking about. It's the ostracizing that's new. Can't disagree with anyone anymore without being labeled toxic.
>>
>>92395328
lol Bendis, Waid and Slott have more Eisners than Johns will ever have
I agree, fuck Aaron he's responsible for Schism
>>
>>92394633
basically Moore has burned most bridges in the industry, I think the last time they recognized him was Top 10? It's kinda industry politics at this point but that makes no excuse for Johns lack of wins because he's butt buddies with almost everyone.
>>
>>92395340

Mostly agree. But Blackest Night was good and had little to do with Moore other than he wrote a GL thing Gibbons recommended.

And using a Not-Watchmen-but-really-Charlton-Earth would be boneheaded too.

There should be less literal ways to show off that superhero comics need an inspirational streak and not to rely to heavily on Watchmen influences.
>>
>>92395370
Having Eisners doesn't mean they've put out good work in even the past 5 years. And their names are not big enough to sell books. Bendis couldn't even carry a second Iron Man ongoing starring Tony Stark.
>>
>>92390126

>It's going to be Superman centric

The best kind of event
>>
>>92395218
No, he also likes superheroes. Try reading Supreme or Top 10 or Tom Strong sometime.
>>
>>92395419
Johns hasn't put out any good books in the past 5 years either though
>>
>>92395342
that is EXACTLY what I'm telling you
>>
>>92394838
Thank you based Johns.
>>
>>92395218
>>92395149
No Alan more loves that he hates comics
He just hates that he loves comics
>>
>>92395370
>lol Bendis, Waid and Slott have more Eisners than Johns will ever have

Yeah, because Johns never writes solo stand alone stuff. He loves playing with the broader universe stuff. He loves writing Comics. As in the utter overly complex cheese of it all. He's not an award winner type and I'm sure he knows it. He hasn't written an award chasing title yet, I doubt he'll start now.
>>
>>92395419
Slott won it like 2 years ago for Silver Surfer
>>
>>92395045
Watchmen is an anti-superhero book. If your average fare from DC/Marvel is about how great superheroes are or how they can work in their fictional universes. Watchmen is entirely how they suck or how they don't work.

Superman/Manhattan is essentially an immovable object against an unstoppable object essentially two conflicting ideas about superheroes.
>>
>>92395480
..... This might be the best analysis of Moore I've ever seen.
>>
>>92395489
Doesn't mean it was good. Carried by art.
>>
>>92395489
and Silver Surfer is awful, which just goes to show how terrible and useless the Eisners are as an indicator of quality
>>
>>92395482
he writes for manchildren
>>
>>92395508
>>92395513
>people who don't actually read the book
>>
>>92395517

Stunning insult from a rando posting on 4chan in the middle of the night.
>>
>>92395459
>DCU Rebirth one-shot
>Forever Evil
>Superman #39

checkmate atheist
>>
>>92395543
lol Lobdell's Superman is better
>>
>Shade gets 0 Eisner nominations
>people pretend like it's still a legitimate award
>>
>>92395535
fuck off Dan, and take your Doctor Who fanfic with you
>>
>>92395554

Bob just quit DC already I don't know why they hired you, and I don't know why you brought your 90's fuck ups with you.
>>
>>92395543
>Forever Evil
I am still salty about how he portrayed the Doom Patrol
>>
>>92395554
now THIS is shitposting
>>
>>92395440
He only like superheroes in a surrealist setting like in Supreme or Top 10. Anything else and it's Twilight of the Superheroes or Watchmen or that issue of Vigilante.
>>
File: 1422576532322.png (10KB, 320x310px) Image search: [Google]
1422576532322.png
10KB, 320x310px
>>92395411
it's still the blackest night/moore gl phrophecy

johns wrote an entire storyline building to that. i actually felt bad for johns when moore criticized it because it was definitely a love letter from johns

but this is indefensible. at least that was still mainline dc/gl storytelling

watchmen is a critique of capes/anti-cape

but this is DC and johns also has a superman boner, so guess who's going to not lose vs manhattan, even though he can alter reality at this point
>>
>>92394838
Thank you based Geoff Johns.
>>
>>92395607
anon I don't think you know what surrealist means
>>
File: Batman - Burn Mother Fucker Burn.png (968KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Batman - Burn Mother Fucker Burn.png
968KB, 1366x768px
>>92395496
>Superman/Manhattan is essentially an immovable object against an unstoppable object essentially two conflicting ideas about superheroes.

Which is what's good about it.

>mfw Superman "surrenders" to Dr Manhatten ala All Star Superman
>>
>>92395471
Well I hope you're happy. I came to this thread excited and am now mad.
>>
File: Doom_Patrol_008.jpg (307KB, 1585x780px) Image search: [Google]
Doom_Patrol_008.jpg
307KB, 1585x780px
>>92395589
you mean the 2nd version of Doom Patrol that failed miserably and was immediately forgotten the second Grant Morrison took over and began his iconic run?
>>
>>92395609
I sincerely doubt it's going to be a fistfight
>>
>>92395609
Johns merely referenced existing continuity to fit in his rainbow corps and zombie storyline. I don't understand why Moorefags make such a big deal about it. He also used existing concepts like the Zamarons and Sinestro's ring for the violet and yellow corps. It's no different.
>>
>>92395609

Johns uses comic history. The Blackest Night prophecy was perfect story fodder. And it was chiefly Gibbons who wrote around it. I have no idea if this indicates any Moore fandom on Johns' part, or his normal deepest lore writing style.

Anyway. I agree actually including Watchmen as just another multiversal property is a mistake. I like what Johns seems to want to do metaphorically. I don't know if he has the chops to do it. Literally including Watchmen is not a good sign.

I'll read it. I'll probably find it likable but questionable.
>>
>>92395644
>You mean the 2nd version of Doom Patrol that failed miserably and was immediately forgotten the second Grant Morrison took over and began his iconic run?
I remember Lodestone and Tempest being regulars on his run.
Also, Element Woman deserved better anon.
>>
>>92395609
The prophecy stuff was resolved in the GLC issues by Gibbons. Blackest Night/Brighest Day was never in the original Tyger story and were conceits developed by Johns rather it was the Empire of Tears destroying the GLC (and that never happens).
>>
>>92395674

And that whole three issue story where Nekron first showed up.
>>
>>92395707
being Element Woman is suffering
>>
>>92395729

That's kind of the point. They used knowledge of the prophecy to arm Sodam Yat and prevent utter destruction during SCW allowing them to survive Blackest Night with relatively few losses.

Tygers to Blackest Night is one of the few instances of fiction where a prophecy really did help save the future.
>>
>>92395682
Watchmen Earth isn't one of the 52 earth's in DC continuity.
>>
>>92395707
I remember Lodestone being in a coma for a goodwhile and Josh the lab assistant RIP
>>
>>92395784
They're infinite
>>
>>92395784
The 52 Earths are just the local multiverse. DC as a whole is infinite.
>>
>>92395784

Yeah but we know there's a broader multiverse outside the 52 cluster.

It seems (And this makes sense considering how pointless it was.) the 52 idea was mandated by editorial at the highest level. Ya know, Didio. After the Orrery of Worlds was destroyed the full multiverse should have respawned, yet it didn't.

This Watchmen thing seems to be full confirmation of that. (And perhaps making the broader multiverse a mystery was Johns inserting something in so he could use it here to save the whole damned DC multiverse?)
>>
>>92392563
Shrinking Violet from Legion of Super Heroes
>>
File: Writing.jpg (753KB, 1830x1130px) Image search: [Google]
Writing.jpg
753KB, 1830x1130px
>>92390357
Hmmm I wonder who can actually give a book some entertaining value despite the mediocre or crap writing.
>>
Reminder that Johns is the guy who spent literally 12 hours on the phone talking about Kanto with Fabok and then only included him in like one scene. Bendis would never give even a main character that much thought.
>>
>>92390201

does this fuck have any other ideas other than some infinite crisis bullshit where people from another universe is meddling with the current universe? for Christ sake
>>
File: awesome ditko finger bros.jpg (204KB, 750x1169px) Image search: [Google]
awesome ditko finger bros.jpg
204KB, 750x1169px
>>92395979
remember when Brendan McCarthy commented on character design quirks way better than Bendis did
>>
>>92396011
because he's not a autist and actually a recognized good writer who has had some shitty runs
>>
>>92396055
>t. Brian Michael Bendis
>>
>>92396055
the overwhelming majority of his comics are terrible. you can probably list all his good Marvel comics on one hand:

Good
Daredevil
USM
Dark Avengers

Shit
Avengers/New Avengers
Moon Knight
Spider-Woman
Gotg
All-New X-Men/UXM
Disassembled
House of M (pretty much something that the X-franchise hasn't recovered from)
Siege
Civil War 2
Iron Man
Spider-Man
>>
>>92396055
>Bendis
>some shitty runs
even Powers and Daredevil, arguably his two best comics, have all the flaws and quirks of his other comics, which are all shit. Yes, even Alias and Ultimate Spider-man. He writes the same comic with the same characters every time, just with a different coat of paint.

He is decidedly not a good writer. His flaws are readily and egregiously apparent in all his work, with no sign of improvement over time, in fact seeming to get worse and worse as time goes on. If you put his first Alias run next to his Iron Man with no other knowledge, it would be impossible to tell which one came first.

In summary, fuck off, Brian, you're garbage.
>>
>>92396055
His good-to-bad ratio is like 1:10.
>>
File: C_2Hq1uXsAAILaR.jpg:large.jpg (198KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
C_2Hq1uXsAAILaR.jpg:large.jpg
198KB, 1536x2048px
>@1moreGaryFrank: The title's blank because I was going to tweet this before the big news was broken.

fucking slacker hasn't even drawn anything yet
>>
>>92395517
This. Frasier fan fiction has more literary merit than a Johns comic.
>>
>>92396199
well he's got like 7 months
>>
>>92396199
First issue doesn't come out til November.
>>
>>92390955
New Krypton was amazing besides the rushed ending. It's one of my favorite Superman stories and if you speak ill of it we will come to blows.
>>
File: C'MON SON.jpg (14KB, 300x298px) Image search: [Google]
C'MON SON.jpg
14KB, 300x298px
>>92396257
>>
>>92396257
They very clearly had it end before it was ready to. Many plots just didn't get tied up and the interviews mentioned so much that just didn't happen.

I think if it had the full time to marinate the ending wouldn't have been so shitty. Obviously it did have to end eventually, but it felt like a missed opportunity in many ways.
>>
>>92390955
>his New 52 run was middling

Which is an adaptation of JRJR's idea for a Silver Surfer story. You can see the similarities there between Norrin and Ulysseus. In that context I think he did a good job with that idea.

>his Pre-Flashpoint run kind of went to shit with New Krypton

Most of New Krypton wasn't him though. Other than beginning of the first arc, he left very early on either due to other stuff such as Adventure Comics (but also likely due to DC letting Busiek go in favor of James Robinson on the other Superbook).
>>
File: before-watchmen.jpg (214KB, 1200x929px) Image search: [Google]
before-watchmen.jpg
214KB, 1200x929px
>>92390126
what could possibly go wrong?
>>
>>92394102
When was the last Eisner Bendis won?

A decade ago?
>>
>>92396424
It was Blackest Night and Flash that took him from Superman.
>>
>>92396337
It was basically too much editorial invovlement, which basically started with Busiek getting fired out of nowhere (he had just announced Chloe from Smallville would appear before getting fired). And it ended with them killing off New Krypton because of low sales and letting JMS write his aborted run.
>>
File: jessica-cruz-and-simon-baz.jpg (516KB, 563x570px) Image search: [Google]
jessica-cruz-and-simon-baz.jpg
516KB, 563x570px
>>92395979
This is a better comparison.
>>
>>92396456
It was for best writer for USM, Daredevil, Powers, and Alias.

Wow that really was a long time ago.
>>
>>92396452
Superman sings Dr. Manhattan to death.
>>
>>92395299
Dc is still trying to make names Gleason, Snyder, King.

Marvel's either driven everybody away (Fraction, Brubaker, Remender, Lemire)

Or has promoted the biggest headasses in the industry Slott, Spencer.
>>
>>92396456
when was the last Spike Tv award Johns won
>>
>>92390327
It's Always Sunny In Metropolis
>>
>>92395489
For rehashing Dr. Who plot lines.
>>
If this is a success what are the chances Marvel will respond by bringing Star Wars into their comic universe?
>>
>>92396772
Genuinely don't think Disney would let them at this point.
>>
>>92390916
His Pre new 52 Superman was overall mediocre and his new 52 Superman was shit.
>>
>>92396772
Disney will never let them cross breed
>>
File: 1494353997327.png (102KB, 500x510px) Image search: [Google]
1494353997327.png
102KB, 500x510px
>>92390293
>We were working on Batman: Earth One, Vol. 3, which is almost done.

Thank Christ
>>
>>92396772
It wouldn't be about Vader or Han anyway so who cares
It would be about Mary Sue and coldsteel donut steel characters from force awakens
>>
>>92396772
LFL would never allow it. Or it's a bait/switch.

More likely Miracleman.
>>
>>92396795
The out of touch business man logic is there.
>our comics need something to stimulate sales and buzz
>DC made big bucks bringing in Watchmen with lots of attention
>well we have something even bigger than Watchmen! Star Wars!
And then they go out of business or something.
>>
>>92396953
That shit would make millions for no reason at all other than DUDE STAR WARS VS MARVEL
It's like marvel vs capcom what a retarded idea
>>
>>92396468
That's not from a Johns issue though.
>>
>>92396953
That would be why Marvel would want it, but Disney can see how badly Marvel is failing to sell even a fucking Captain America event and realize that the SW brand should be protected from that. There's no incentive to allow it. They don't even let Marvel do crossovers with other comic companies.
>>
File: SQD_Zardayes.gif (197KB, 385x664px) Image search: [Google]
SQD_Zardayes.gif
197KB, 385x664px
>>92393325
>tfw all those uncensored pages of Zarda in Supreme Power
>>
>>92397000
Isn't that the reason why Disney doesn't want Marvel to do anything with Big Hero 6 despite it being a property that started at Marvel?
>>
>>92396953
LFL and Marvel are owned by Disney, but they operate as separate companies. More importantly, LFL guards SW much more jealously (look at the chip they have towards Abrams) and letting Marvel do this would surrender autonomy and control to Marvel Editorial.
>>
>>92396953
>time release of issue one with movie
>make deal so every ticket of Star Wars movie comes with a free copy of comic
>millions of people buy movie tickets for movie
>Marvel reports all those free comics as sales
>announces 1 MILLION ISSUES SOLD
>>
>>92397040
Disney doesn't give a shit about the comics. They only want the MCU and we know from all the Secret Empire backtracking, Spencer is very much on their shitlist because of the media attention.
>>
>>92395328
all 4 of those writers have more Eisners that Johns
lol DCfags
>>
>>92397105
hey you know what got nominated for an Eisner in 2016? The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl.

You know what didn't get nominated for an Eisner in 2016? Vision.
>>
>>92394615
what about the Snyder movies are grim? Its about Superman's optimism and faith in humanity in the face of a world telling him to feel the opposite. And he believes so much and so hard everyone else does in the end too.
If anything it complements what Johns is doing.
>>
>>92394838
THANK YOU BASED JOHNS
>>
>>92394708
Superman wasnt even in Multiversity though.
>>
>>92397190
>Snyderfags

lmao
>>
>>92397177
Vision was actually nominated, you dolt.
>>
>>92397209
what a witty and well thought out retort
>>
This will be like infinite crisis again. Johns can't write anything that isn't power rangers tier.
>>
>>92397210
oh neat
>>
>>92397190
>what about the Snyder movies are grim?
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>92396975
It's not, though. Capcom already made games for Marvel beforehand. X-Men vs Street Fighter already happened. It was a logical conclusion that drew people in. And the final game was good, so...
>>
>>92397177
Vision was nominated but the real tragedy is Flintstones and Shade weren't
>>
>>92397228
>This will be like infinite crisis again.
So it's going to be amazing?
>>
>>92397177
oh super cool dubs guy doesn't like USG
it's beloved and got an OGN, sorry you have shit taste and no sense of humor
>>
>>92397250
Providence not getting nominated is the true tragedy.
>>
>>92397237
just because bad things happen its grim? Everytime a bad thing happens the movies' answers to it are to keep trying and never give up and it ends up working out in the end.
>>
UPDATE

https://twitter.com/geoffjohns/status/864025002294640640

>@geoffjohns: Thanks for all the questions! #DoomsdayClock will b more than 6 issues/less than 13 - too early to announce other details, more @Comic_Con!
>>
>>92397282
>to keep trying and never give up
Except that time he gives up and runs away to a mountain......or that time Batman gave up and started killing people.
>>
>>92397266
there are several tragedies involved with the Eisners this year
>>
>read through thread
>read the name 'Geoff Johns' several times
>get through the thread and realize I was eating cereal the entire god damn time
How the hell does this Cereal God fucking do it?
>>
>>92397287
T W E L V E
>>
>>92397256
Fuck off Ryan, you're just as bad as Erica, but no one notices because she's more obviously bad.
>>
>>92397345
>Except that time he gives up and runs away to a mountain.

Yeah and he collected himself and tried again and ultimately won

> that time Batman gave up and started killing people.

Yeah, which is portrayed as a BAD thing. Is it this hard to understand the simplest parts of the plot?
>>
>>92397380
What's special about 12?
>>
>>92397394
oh super cool contrarian doesn't think something is funny
>>
>>92397401
Watchmen was 12 issues and if Doomsday Clock is bi-monthly, it lines up with 2 years from the start of Rebirth
>>
>>92397421
also 5/2 is a Wednesday next year
>>
>>92397421
Also if it is bi-monthly and 12 issues. It can be 1st and third week of the month. Making
1st issue Wednesday November 1st the last date in Rorschach's journal.
Final issue, third week of April, April 18th the 80th anniversary of Action Comics #1 April 18th 1938.
>>
File: El DorAAAAAHdo.gif (254KB, 256x144px) Image search: [Google]
El DorAAAAAHdo.gif
254KB, 256x144px
>>92397421
>>92397463
>>92397474
Hypercrisis levels are getting dangerously high right now
>>
>>92397494
Get this. If Action Comics delays 3 weeks, Action Comics #1000 can also be released on that same day.
>>
I can't wait for Johns to have Barry save the day somehow while Wally gets shit on by Blue Dick
>>
>>92397598
Johns was the one who brought back Wally you dum-dum.
>>
>>92397598
anon
it will be because Barry still has a flicker of Hope Lantern energy deep inside of him >>92392240
>>
File: boo.gif (2MB, 452x592px) Image search: [Google]
boo.gif
2MB, 452x592px
>>92390126
HAHA YES! I honestly cannot wait!
>>
>Thought Robot returns
>Manhattan tries to destroy Superman Thought Robot
>He can't do it because the Thought Robot embodimes good vs evil and the happy ending
>Manhattan realizes his mistake and surrenders having seen the power of hope
>>
File: poster.jpg (130KB, 600x858px) Image search: [Google]
poster.jpg
130KB, 600x858px
>>92390264
>"It is about much more than the American president or the reactions to him. That is low hanging fruit to me. It goes bigger, deeper. It is about the world, and the attitude of people. I feel like there are extremes now everywhere, extremes on all sides. There is no more olive branch. It doesn’t exist. I feel like people, more and more, are separated. They are choosing sides, instead of figuring out how to make life better together. There is a real sense of anger, and frustration, and there is not a lot of compassion, or willingness to understand in the world. Telling a story of two extremes, and exploring what our collective zeitgeist states through these characters is what we are doing. We think it’s important … The truth is, if the world and the country didn’t go a certain way, I don’t know that we would be telling this story. For us, the story would not exist if the last year didn’t unfold the way it did, and the rise of extremism wasn't so palpable."
>>
File: DESPAIR .png (511KB, 543x600px) Image search: [Google]
DESPAIR .png
511KB, 543x600px
>>92397772
so a super Hero version of Danganronpa V3's ending Neat
>>
>>92397250
>Flintstones and Shade weren't
>Leftist humor comic and shameless diversity comic
good
>>
>>92390126
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO>OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
>>
>>92397251
Yeah, as amazing and fun as browsing reddit on your phone.
>>
>>92397878
they're both better than anything else the Big 2 is publishing and a lot of what Image is publishing
>>
>>92392772
>Damn, Johns is tuned into the Zeitgeist. I agree with everything he said about people choosing sides
Damn straight - Please Johns, be the hero comic books need and make everybody realise what polarizing partisan hacks other writers are.
>>
>>92397893
Infinite crisis was ok. Worst thing would be if Johns tries the same plot again
>>
File: 072441cc6896b9254d019f9c82677210.jpg (271KB, 900x1335px) Image search: [Google]
072441cc6896b9254d019f9c82677210.jpg
271KB, 900x1335px
>>92390126
>Best boy
I like Gary Frank's Superman too
>>
>>92397901
They're not better than Wildstorm or Deathstroke. Slade is just an alright young adult book and Flintstones got repetitive real quick, with humor on the decline and being replaced with more preachy political commentary.
>>
>>92397973
>Wildstorm
I'm withholding judgement until it's finished because lolEllis
>>
>>92390126
So Manhattan is the one who split Superman right?
>>
So, how is the guy's art? The one who will be doing the crossover comic art?
>>
>>92398012
>>92397969
>>
>>92398012
Not knowing based Frank damn newfags getting newer by the minute.
>>
>>92390126
Fuck Johns!
>>
>>92394482
retard
>>
So is Big Blue going to explain why he had the Comedia's button in the first place?
>>
>>92398063
I belive ultimately that will just be a piece of symbolism or icon for the story they are telling and not some big cosmic thing.
>>
>>92394699
underrated
>>
>>92390638
Wow Moore really didn't think that one through. It would have been better of for the series if he had let them do it so he could get the rights back. He could have just retconned their shit sequel later on. As it is now DC doesn't need to do a sequel, they can do as many prequels, alternate re-tellings, and sequels to those as they want. Watchmen is going to be ruined by this eventually.
>>
>>92397516
Geoff literally said it's more than 6 issues, it won't match up with action 1000
>>
>>92397829
fucking weeb
>>
>>92398058
He's right. Mark Millar is one of the best Superman writers, and a lot better than Johns' Superman.
>>
>>92395480
thanks for the chuckle
>>
>>92398070
That would be really fucking stupid if that was true. Why that button is there needs to be explained.
>>
>>92398084
Double shipping a 12 issue series would put it at the 80th anniversary. Even if it was 6 issues it wouldn't line up with AC 1000. Learn to read.
>>
>>92398091
nice bait
>inb4 red son
Red Son was co-written with Morrison.
>>
>>92398101
>Why that button is there needs to be explained.
No it doesn't.
>>
>>92398105
Red son was not co-written with anyone, and I wasn't even talking about red son. I keep forgetting that Johnsfags haven't read any comics before infinite crisis.
>>
>>92398091
Mark Millar is OK but he can't write non-political, non-edgy capeshit at all. He would be a horrible choice for Superman
>>
>>92398122
>>92398120
Can I just say
Millar's alright. not too bad, not too good jesusf cing critht
>>
>>92390126
Remember when you faggots said ongoings are for the A listers and minis for the B listers and beyond? fuck you.
>>
>>92398076
Moore is self-sabotaging as fuck. Even if he got the rights back he wouldn't do anything with them and he'd rather sabotage other people's plans than compromise and actually get something out of it.

I do like the guy's work but I don't understand his attitude at all.
>>
>>92398111
It's a detail that's there for no reason. If this was the original Watchmen the reason why that button was their would be explained.
>>
>>92398142
>>92398122
Millar might be shit, but his Superman adventures is a GOAT Superman run.
>>
File: DC editorial office.jpg (32KB, 329x209px) Image search: [Google]
DC editorial office.jpg
32KB, 329x209px
Reminder
>>
>>92398169
>It's a detail that's there for no reason
It's there for a reason. The reason has even come and known in the present. You just can't understand the reason due to a stubborn need to only look at things literally.
>>
>>92398193
huh?
>>
>>92398196
Moore once called Johns to a raccoon stealing from his garbage.
>>
>>92398195
>Implying the reason can't be both figurative and literal
shit story telling
>>
>>92398196
I think he misspelled Remender.
>>
>>92398144

What the fuck are you crying about now?
>>
>>92398190
>Millar said that he was working with an big action director who was actually getting his pitch heard at Warner Brothers. While he hasn't gotten them to agree just yet (as far as we know), he finally spilled more details on his plans for the 3-film Superman story. "It's gonna be like Michael Corleone in the Godfather films, the entire story from beginning to end, you see where he starts, how he becomes who he becomes, and where that takes him."

>Millar explains that "The Dark Knight showed you can take a comic book property and make a serious film, and I think the studios are ready to listen to bigger ideas now." So he partnered with a big director and producer and went in to Hollywood to pitch his "Magnum Opus of Superman stories." The idea consists of an 8-hour saga, split into 3 films to be released a year apart, much like Lord of the Rings. Millar adds that "the problem with Superman Returns was like releasing Star Wars in '77, The Empire Strikes Back in '80 and then waiting 28 years to release Return of the Jedi -- it wasn’t relevant. I understand what Bryan Singer was trying to do, to pay homage to Richard Donner's original vision, but I think you should pay homage by doing something completely different."

>"I want to start on Krypton, a thousand years ago, and end with Superman alone on Planet Earth, the last being left on the planet, as the yellow sun turns red and starts to supernova, and he loses his powers."

Thoughts?
>>
>>92398244
>yellow sun turns red
>red sun
>by mark millar
P O T T R Y
>>
>>92398244
millar confirmed commie?
>>
>>92398215
The fact that there's not Shazam, no Plastic Man but we get a shitty "Nightwing: Civil War" mini and "Geoff Johns: stealing from the most famous comic book ever is a personal story for me". And that's not counting stuff like Swamp Thing or Etrigan(is this motherfucker going to be the only DC Kirby property ignored for his 100th?) or something magic related because DC are trying to kill off their magic side it seems, but even stuff like Adam Strange or Martian Manhunter isn't getting anything. We're just stuck with "more Watchmen crossovers".
>>
>>92398199

Moore's a fucking faggot when it comes to shit like this. He's been using other peoples characters his entire career
>>
>>92398301
He's right this time though.
>>
>>92398296
Adam Strange just had a mini. Swamp Thing has made appearances in at least 3 different series since this started.
>>
>>92390845

No, we are not child rapists or serial killers.
>>
>>92398296

Well Adam Strange just had a mini with Hawkman and it's actually a lead in to DC's next event. I agree with you that it's a shame these characters aren't being used right now but it's a business and none of what you listed sells anymore. Shit man Marian Manhunter was my favorite DCYou title and my LCS owner told me I was the only one ordering it. Same with Demon Knight during New 52
>>
>>92398329
Adam Strange also had a Hanna Barbera crossover comic.
>>
>>92398317

Johns is treating this with more respect than Moore did in lost girls
>>
>>92398325
That Adam Strange and Hawkman book was a Johns/Snyder proxy series, so it doesn't count.
>>
>>92398338
Oh well in that case all your complaints don't count either.
>>
>>92398336
speaking of which, has there ever been a lost girls storytime on /co/?
>>
>>92398338
What a waste of Andreyko. I wish he would write some crime comics for DC.
>>
File: laughing stock.jpg (45KB, 363x310px) Image search: [Google]
laughing stock.jpg
45KB, 363x310px
>>92398336
>Johns is treating this with respect
>>
>>92398350
But my complaint was legit. It was nothing more than an event tie in.
>>
>>92398301
It's a joke. Articles paint him as this grumpy jaded man but he says these things with levity

And he's right

>>92398336
No one at DC, editorial most of all, is treating him with respect until he gets his rights back. Or at the very least stop milking his shit
>>
>>92398362
>Articles paint him as this grumpy jaded man but he says these things with levity
yup, that's him all right
>>
>>92398361
Sorry but it doesn't count.
>>
>>92398362
Hasn't moore retired from comics yet? Something a few months back when he said He only had 80 more comic pages to go before retiring/ moving over to novels/films
>>
>>92398329
Your excuse is fucking shitty. If you want to be a soulless corporation that only wants to make "comics that sell really well" and you don't give a shit about some quality then sell off these lesser known characters elsewhere. You'll make a good book and you'll let other people that WANT to use them use them. Right now they're really top heavy with a number of titles sellign very well and then they artificially boost those numbers with crossovers like The Button so they can afford a lesser known charcter getting a title.
Oh and another thing, if you keep a character out of publication and don't give him at least a mini for a long time his popularity will only go down, not up.
>>
>>92398374
It does, DC intern.
>>
>>92398352

We would probably all get thrown into the back of the party van if it did
>>
>>92398338
Oh so you're just a whiny baby complaining for the sake of it. Carry on then.
>>
>>92398389

Would you rather the Marvel approach where we release 80 books and just throw shit at the wall?
>>
>>92398417
Yes because historically DC has had better writers and had had success in making great things with lesser known characters.
>>
>>92398389
>Then they artificially boost those numbers
>Artificially

OK, anon
>>
Moore's chaos magic will wreck Johns this time. He's has pissed off Morrison too now, so he won't be there to counter it.
>>
>>92398429

You know what's funny, anon? DC right now is doing lesser known characters in Young Animal. Cave Carson has an ongoing. That's as Z list as you can get. I wouldn't want a Swamp Thing book unless somebody had a god idea for one and the same for the other C listers
>>
>>92398412
Not like counting event tie ins as a series is scraping the bottom of the barrel.
>>
>>92392240
is that Kyle? You mean the entire time he was wearing a Nine Inch Nails t-shirt?
>>
>>92398448
>Moore's chaos magic

Moores magic wont do shit. He's a defeated old man who has no clout in this industry and hasn't for decades
>>
>>92398448
Why would this piss off Morrison? Morrison stuff has been getting more acknowledgement than ever.
>>
>>92398429

DC has plenty of C list books. Half of them being minis is just being honest about how they will do. Off the top of my head there's Captain Atom, that Amazons book, the Kamandi Challenge, Superwoman, Shade the changing girl, New Super-Man , Cave Carson, Mother Panic, The Doom Patrol, Blue Beetle and the Wild Storm.

I guess if they're imprints and minis they don't count though
>>
>>92398448
>He's has pissed off Morrison too now
How? They've been best buds since Johns started at DC.
>>
>>92398506
Also Bug. Sixpack and Dogwelder. Fuck, a fair bit actually.
>>
>>92398448
they gave Morrison's protege his own fucking imprint to fuck around in. I doubt Morrison has any resentments to that
>>
>>92398528

Oh yeah I forgot Bug. I'm interested in where that's going and speaking of the New Gods there's a Mister Miracle book coming soon
>>
>>92398545
And Challengers of the Unknown is coming too.
>>
>>92398499
Because it's a creatively bankrupt idea and Morrison doesn't like that.
>>
>>92398448
>He's has pissed off Morrison too now

How?
>>
>>92398506
>that Amazons book
waste of a slot
>Superwoman, Super-Man
surely you jest
>Mother Panic
OC
>>
>>92398552

But DC hates C listers! Right >>92398389 ?
>>
>>92398570
>NUH UH IT DOESN'T COUNT NUH UH!
>>
>>92398570
Hold on. Are you trying to argue that original never before appeared characters can't be considered as B or C list characters? Are you really that desperate to find a way to avoid admitting that you anonymously posted something incorrect on the internet?
>>
>>92398578
Yup. Challengers is pretty much a new comic just using the name. And it's shipped off to an imprint. AN imprint that sounds really bad.
>>
>>92398601
The original point was that DC has a great catalogue of characters that aren't being used because they aren't super popular. How does creating a new character solve that problem?
>>
>>92398611
New Super-Man is literally showcasing a new obscure asian character every other issue after another.
>>
>>92398570

>These things don't count because I DON'T WANT THEM TO!

lol fuck off
>>
>>92398611
>making new characters actively hurts old characters
lol ok
>>
>>92398602
>Challengers is pretty much a new comic just using the name

DC is doing new heroes? That's even better than just rehashing old heroes. Fuck I love this company.
>>
>>92398617
The title of the comic is "New SUPER-MAN". Can't say chinese knock off of the Justice League is a novel concept either. China had a superteam anyway...
>>
>>92398611
>The original point was that DC has a great catalogue of characters that aren't being used because they aren't super popular.

But they are currently using lesser know heroes. Just not the ones you like.
>>
>>92398611
You know what also doesn't solve that problem? You continuing to live. Better go kill yourself.
>>
>>92398635
Well, I didn't say that but you're fucking retarded so whatever.
>>
>>92398552
Are those dark days titles just tie ins or separate series on their own? Are they limited or ongoing?
>>
>>92398649

>China had a superteam anyway

And they appear in the book. Not that you would know.
>>
>>92398636
Still rehashing, just changing names.
>>
>>92398663
They are new series that will use the event as a launching point. Ongoing, I believe.
>>
>>92398663

I don't think they have made that known yet
>>
>>92390236
>We didn’t want to see Doctor Manhattan facing off against Superman in Action Comics

Jurgens BTFO
>>
>>92398649
Yes, and they appear in the book. Along with a bunch of other existing chinese DC characters.
>>
>>92398675

Oh ok. It's a new rehash then.

Seriously, kill yourself.
>>
>>92398656
>>92398701
careful with that edge, kid.
>>
>>92398660

You're the retard. You want DC to publish books "Just because" when the only thing that happens is that they will be absolutely buried by each other. It is ultimately better to leave these C listers room to breath inside of having them all below 15k by issue 2
>>
>>92398728
>It is ultimately better to leave these C listers room to breath
Getting shelved =/= getting room to breathe
>>
>>92398726
I'm sorry my 4chan post your feelings and made you feel bad.
>>
>>92398660
You literally complained about the new imprint being new characters and the books like New Super-Man being about new characters.
>>
>>92390512
They own it 100%
They own the Charlton heroes it is based on.
They own the knockoff heroes created for that maxiseries.
>>
>>92398746

They wont be shelved forever retard. Most are appearing in other books.
>>
>>92398389
Constantly forcing another character, even more a C-Lister or below is fucking stupid. Shit like that fucking killed DC during the DC Explosion you idiot.

Besides, have you ever thought to realize that no fucking editor will just randomly decide to revive a C-Lister for no fucking reason, even so the chances that there is a creative ready, fuck even just one competent enough to deliver a mediocre story is pretty slim? Because for every fucking Omega Men we get the Green Team, Prowler, and Black Panther.
>>
>>92398768
BUT NUH MUH FAVORITE ONES
>>
>>92398757
That must be why they never made sequels and instead begged Moore to write them
>>
>>92390126
when I woke up in the morning and seen this, I thought I was dreaming
also >>92396199, hope there won't be any delays like with Batman: Earth One
don't fuck this up, Gary
>>
>>92398389
>What was DC You
They tried, it failed. Get over it.
>>
>>92398848
Because they fucked with their big names. Now they're top heavy and can afford it but instead they're publishing Supergirl and Superwoman.
>>
>>92398892
but they are publishing C-Listers they literally just listed it a few posts above and other than a few new characters that's still a good number. Besides, are you implying than any big name would be salivating at the chance to fucking write D-List Danny?
>>
File: surprised lego batman.jpg (41KB, 680x510px) Image search: [Google]
surprised lego batman.jpg
41KB, 680x510px
>>92390126
Post your face when Geoff reveals that the DC (Doomsday Clock) Extended Universe is the product of what happens when Doctor Manhattan influences the regular DC Universe
(remember, Snyder directed Watchmen, too)
>>
File: 1442896154289.jpg (88KB, 546x411px) Image search: [Google]
1442896154289.jpg
88KB, 546x411px
>>92390201
>forces from Watchmen who have been meddling with our DCU heroes' timelines and history
>It is the most personal and most epic, utterly mind-bending project I have ever worked on in my career.
>It will touch the thematic and literal essence of DC.
My god every word, every sentence.

>I love the idea that Watchmen influenced DC, but what would that look like in reverse?
>It is about something different … It will have an impact on the entire DC Universe. It will affect everything moving forward and everything that has come before. It will touch the thematic and literal essence of DC."
There it is. Not even a little subtle about it, That "Our heroes are stronger" page is basically peeking its dick around the corner.

>It is about much more than the American president or the reactions to him. That is low hanging fruit to me. It goes bigger, deeper. It is about the world, and the attitude of people. I feel like there are extremes now everywhere, extremes on all sides. There is no more olive branch. It doesn’t exist. I feel like people, more and more, are separated. They are choosing sides, instead of figuring out how to make life better together. There is a real sense of anger, and frustration, and there is not a lot of compassion, or willingness to understand in the world. Telling a story of two extremes, and exploring what our collective zeitgeist states through these characters is what we are doing. We think it’s important … The truth is, if the world and the country didn’t go a certain way, I don’t know that we would be telling this story. For us, the story would not exist if the last year didn’t unfold the way it did, and the rise of extremism wasn't so palpable
Here's something I didn't see coming though. So this is basically not only blaming Moore for DC's dark age, but Trump for the world's? Good shit.
>>
>>92398352
It would have to be done on /aco/ for obvious reasons.
>>
>>92394838
THANK YOU BASED JOHNS
>>
Watchmen as a published work was what lead the charge of the gritty and grimdark superheroes. Not the just Watchmen story itself, but the reaction to it by other writers, who used it as an example of how superheroes should be used. It lead to not only hundreds of superhero deconstruction stories in comics, but culminated in clueless Hollywood belching out unnecessary grim and gritty takes on superheroes in failures like BvS.

DC isn't Stan Lee's Marvel, whose well-meaning heroes are misunderstood by a fearful public. Superman is not a figure to be feared. Even in real life, he is meant to be the example of how we can help our fellow man. We can do better. We can be like him. Batman is about a man who once overcame trauma to better himself. Physically, mentally. He wasn't just a bodybuilding ninja. He was a scientist. A detective. A thinker. A man who replaced his lost family with a new one, filled with other orphans. There's hope there. We can overcome tragedy, like our heroes did.

Watchmen may not have been alone or even first at the gate to the superhero deconstruction party, but it was the one everyone noticed. It was the one fans threw in the faces of their friends and said "comics are for adults now".

We lost our childhood. We lost our innocence. We lost our starry eyed wonder as these amazing characters traveled the globe and the stars showing us how to overcome tragedy to help others. All others.

This is a perfect time to reclaim that loss.
>>
>>92390126
new thread here >>92399003
migrate legally
>>
>>92399015
You better repost the interview.
>>
>>92399020
Should screencap the posts into one thing.
>>
>>92399040
No, that prevents people from easily quoting and remarking on the lines from the interview they like. And literally more time consuming and work than copy pasting text.
>>
>>92399001
This is the reason why capeshit is in such a mess.
>>
>>92399001
You sound like a manchild. Also there were plenty of violent superhero comics before Watchmen too.
>>
>>92399049
Couldn't you just do something like
>1.
To indicate the line you're replying about and everyone just reference the one image? Or if it's something specific just go
>About that point on X
And carry on from there?
You can do what you want of course, but I'm for efficiency. One picture, one post is as quick as it gets.
>>
>>92391813
>Ideas are bulletproof.
That the creed of an Alan Moore character is going to be the trump card in this now seems ironic and spiritual.
>>
>>92391970
This is a nice piece of speculation. It could actually open floodgates for all sorts of discussion on the value of superheroics as a genre.

>Superman stops Adrian's plan, removes all atomic bombs before the nuclear war can start, forces everyone to start a peace conference.
>Manhattan: Fascinating. Of course, this would never happen in real life. Is there a Super-Man out there to stop all human pain and suffering with no consequences? This isn't real.
>Superman: Neither is this. Two superpowers, knowing about impending mutual destruction, yet ready to go along with it if not for an "alien invasion"? What do you know of human logic, the hope, the will to stay alive?
>>
>>92399148
>>
>>92390320
obbligatory applause.
>>
>>92397988
most likely, but it could have been Mr. Oz himself
>>
>>92395154
How he thought the Rogues were a joke when he came up with shit like Cobalt Blue is beyond me.
>>
>>92393418
This.
>>
>>92394838
Based Johns>>92394933
Thread posts: 587
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.