[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/a/migo here. How would you guys do a modern all-Japanese team

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7

/a/migo here. How would you guys do a modern all-Japanese team in Marvel or DC? Big Hero 6 doesn't count; it's based on old Western stereotypes of Japanese culture.

I'd go for a team made of:

-Hotblooded Shonen Hero
-Tech Whiz/Mecha Pilot
-Time Displaced Samurai
-Magical Girl
-Some kind of Immortal Demon or Ghost
-JRPG-ish Dark Fantasy Warrior ala Berserk
>>
Would the Super Young Team count?
>>
>>92387024
There should be one ninja on the team. Only one ninja, mind you. And they should act like a fucking ninja, not the un-stealthy, bright-colors-wearing wizards we see in pop culture.
>>
>>92387091

Not sure. They seem to adhere to the same outdated stereotypes as BH6. Then again I haven't actually read them, so...
>>
>>92387176
so a farmer or like snake eyes?
>>
>>92387024
Concrete revolutio kind of had that, it was Astro city meets watchmen, at least that´s what it tried to be, on practice it wasn´t very good.

I would go with a team of
-Motocycle masked hero
-Alien with the power to grow giant size
-Android detective
-Magical girl
-Big breasted ninja lady
- and 90´s esque half demon martial artist.
>>
>>92387024
>Big Hero 6 doesn't count; it's based on old Western stereotypes of Japanese culture
>-Hotblooded Shonen Hero
>-Tech Whiz/Mecha Pilot
>-Time Displaced Samurai
>-Magical Girl
>-Some kind of Immortal Demon or Ghost
>-JRPG-ish Dark Fantasy Warrior ala Berserk
>>
>>92387024
Easy, new Squadron Supreme. Yeah, I know the entire joke is that they're supposed to be the Justice League, but that's run it's course. Instead of DC stand ins, make them all weeb stand ins. Evil Goku, Evil Sailor Moon, Evil Naruto, Evil Astro-Boy, Evil Ash, Evil Jaeger. Also, keep Hyperion on the team so that it's somehow connected to the old Squadron. Maybe he's the one that travels the multiverse to form the team.
>>
>>92387297
he meant that the stereotypes would have to be from the viewpoint of nips themselves
>>
File: defenders02.png (288KB, 600x413px) Image search: [Google]
defenders02.png
288KB, 600x413px
>>92387229

This show is exactly why I made this topic. It got me thinking how a more contemporary/in-touch team of Japanese archetypes would work in the Big Two.

>>92387176

Ninja could be the team's Nick Fury.
>>
>>92387024
I'd just use actual live action Japanese superheroes as a template. All too often I personally find foreign superheroes feel a bit too on the nose or obviously made up by someone who doesn't really know the country. Like Marvel has Silver Samurai and Sunfire, DC has >>92387091 but neither really feel to me like a superhero an actual Japanese person would come up with, which is where they fall flat. Like an American writer wouldn't make every single superhero Cowboy Man, Gunman and Bald Eagle Man. Whereas by contrast Captain Britain and MI13 and all those UK DC superheroes by Grant Morrison and Paul Cornell feel much more genuine and obviously written by people who know what they're writing about, so even the one-off stereotype joke characters ring true.

So in answer to your question, Ultraman knock-off/Superman analog, Kamen Rider knock-off/Batman analog, Generic Sentai team, assorted kaiju, something to do with superpowered teenagers and their school clubs. Magical girls. Maybe a guy in charge of all these superhumans who's just a beleaguered incredibly competent salaryman. Just nothing like Shinto Man, Samurai Man, Ninja Man or Ramen Man I take that back, Ramenman's fucking awesome just make such obvious stereotypes as a secondary thing to their actual personalities and themes.
>>
>>92387297
I think what OP tried to ask is how would an all japanese super hero group look like if it followed japanese pop culture archetypes instead of what western think when they hear the word japanese.

For example the Geisha motive is very popular in western depictions of japanese heroines but most animes barely have them. On the opposite side, the shinto priestess is a cliche in anime and manga but you never see it on western comics.

pic just partially related
>>
File: image.jpg (324KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
324KB, 1200x900px
The concept of Vigilantes punching criminals doesnt resonate with every culture. I myself would do a team of teen paranormal investigators based in Tokyo, like the kids from the Persona games.
>>
>>92387024
>Leader: animal headed wrestler.
>Moral compass: Kamen rider esque hero.
>Magic expert: Temple Priestess
>Jack of all trades: Magical girl
>Detective: Android policeman (this steriotype is kid of old soo he can also be the man out of time.)
>>
>>92387221
>>92387371
More like a spy/master of disguise/escape artist. Possibly a super-spy in the vein of Fury. For team purposes, their role would be recon and intel.
>>
>>92387024
>-Tech Whiz/Mecha Pilot
>-Time Displaced Samurai
>-Magical Girl
How is this any different than the "outdated stereotypes of Japanese culture" in BH6?

This is like if an all-American team had a cowboy, a baseball player and Mickey Mouse.
>>
>>92388142
If we're talking generic stock characters, why not get creative with them?

>Time displaced samurai who thinks Bushido is bullshit, uses spears and muskets (katanas are shit) and works only for money, treats killing people like a boring office job, a feudal salary man yojimbo
>Magical Girl who's a thirty something divorced mom who already saved the world as a teenager, MG equivalent of an ex-idol who gets by on goodwill tours from her old fans, keeps doing the job out of desire to stay in the limelight and relive her past glory days in a costume she's far too old for
>>
Question: would such teams be registered and possibly government-sponsored/affiliated or would they be loose alliances of independent superbeings whose paths just so happent to cross every so often?

I get the feeling the Japs aren't actually big on formal JL/Avengers-like teams.
>>
Most super sentai heroes dont fight crime, they exist to kill monsters and aliens
>>
>>92387657
this
>>
>>92387447
>Like an American writer wouldn't make every single superhero Cowboy Man, Gunman and Bald Eagle Man.

Someone's obviously never read Golden Age superheroes. And the point of Super Young Team is that they're American pop culture regurgitated through the lens of Japanese marketing. Whether or not it's successful in that is up for debate.
>>
>>92387902
I could see something like the Phantom Thieves fitting really well in one of the Big 2's universes.
>>
File: 1465012464793.jpg (3MB, 4000x4376px) Image search: [Google]
1465012464793.jpg
3MB, 4000x4376px
>>92387229
>Concrete revolutio kind of had that, it was Astro city meets watchmen
No kidding that show has some really obscure reference to japanese pop culture. Maybe that why it didn´t do well, you need to be over the age of 50 to understand all the refferences.
>>
File: 1465011901882.jpg (3MB, 4000x5624px) Image search: [Google]
1465011901882.jpg
3MB, 4000x5624px
>>92391620
Yep a lot of refferences
>>
>>92387024
I'd use a combination of "japanese stereotypes of american superheroes" and japanese action hero genre characters with an interesting twists. There is a ton of interesting little nerd culture shit over there, you could probably make an entire character just based on Akihabara alone. I'd also make sure that the characters aren't just "one note representation of japanese culture" and mix in a little of whatever I. or the imaginary writer of this imaginary comic, think is interesting. I'm big into Aborignal Dreamtime so maybe I'd make a sleezy psuedo-neet who pervs on girls in Akihabara who also has dreamtime shamanistic abilities with a dash of Unknown Armies post-modern magick, he can be the Batman/Constantine of the team always with a second plan in case shit gets bad. He'd play on the constant fanservice in animes and neet culture over there while not being a stereotype of the culture.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.