[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any other superhero comic like Invincible? Instead of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 9

File: Invincible105_cover2.jpg (275KB, 586x900px) Image search: [Google]
Invincible105_cover2.jpg
275KB, 586x900px
Is there any other superhero comic like Invincible?
Instead of having a floating timeline so the story can go on forever they actually have the characters growing up, changing and the story progressing, instead of having a reboot every few years and recycling the same story over and over again they do it just once and move on with the story arcs

oh yeah, and the characters and story are actually good, why can't we have more of this?
>>
>>92385303
>Is there any other superhero comic like Invincible?

There are some, but they don't last long. Often, they get cancelled before they can finish their run. Because superhero fans actually LIKE being fed the sames story, recycled over and over again. See also: DC Rebirth.
>>
On a side note, I remember lots of threads about it on /co/ back when the rape chapters came out. Do people really enjoy this or was it just a quick rise in interest because of the rape?
>>
Hellboy, if you can count it as superhero.
>>
>>92385622
>superhero fans actually LIKE being fed the sames story, recycled over and over again

Why?
>>
>>92385701
Isn't the comic mostly unrelated shorts thou?
>>
>>92385303
Because big2 need to keep all of their cash cows alive. Artistically it would be better, financially it would be a suicide.
>>
>>92385761
No.
>>
>>92385761
No, it's a huge continuous storyline with some unconnected shorts inbetween
>>
>>92385734
I don't know.

Maybe it's a bad side-effect of the way superhero comics were/are constructed. My theory is that fans have been battered into believing it is the only way.

>Run is good, ends
>New writer comes in, has to change something because come on
>New run is not as good as the previous one
>Fans start complaining about new run, blame changes writer made
>Run ends
>Editorial hires a writer more in sync with the 1st run

Rinse and repeat, you get what we have. No other medium or fanbase, I think, behaves this way, but then again no other medium has evolved this way.

Also >>92385766
>>
>>92385878
>>92385793

Great! Will give it a chance then
Help me out here,because the publishing is a little bit confusing: Can I read just the library edition or will I miss anything important? It jumps from Seed of destruction to wake the devil, skipping The Wolves of Saint August and The Corpse and the Iron Shoes
>>
>>92385919
>no other medium has evolved this way.

Doctor Who may be the closest thing.
>>
>>92385734
I don't know why you're asking this, Invincible itself is just the same story being told over and over.

>Threat!
>OMG, can't deal
>time-skip
>OMG we deal!
>Repeat

Invincible himself has had the same little "heroing sux!" speech like four times by now.
>>
>>92385919
This and also I think it's because superhero comics have been around for so long and had so many different characters, pretty much everything have been done already. If you were to create a new cape series, unless you would come up with something really unconventional or placed in an unusual setting, having it not being similar to something that's already been done would be borderline impossible. But if you stick to already estabilished character it's a "new run" or "homage", not copying
>>
>>92385303
Astro City.
>>
>>92386159
The latter are shorts which are pretty good, but mostly unconnected, but are sometimes referenced or even important. Corpse actually becomes quite important MUCH later and is a nice story by itself. Coffin and Right Hand of Doom are also important shorts. Seed and Wake the Devil are the first main story arcs
>>
>>92386161
I don't know anything about Dr Who, my closest example (I've given this subject some thought) is mythology, the bible in particular. The bible is
>collaborative and wide spanning
>imagination based (tips), or if you prefer, largely based on second hand accounts
>developed over a long period of time
>contradictory at times between different authors (tips x2)
>there is a concrete image of some of the characters in it that is ingrained in people's memory, that may or may not be based on the actual text
>etc
>>
>>92385303
Savage Dragon has been doing this since 92. Most of the shit Kirkman does is lifted from Larsen.
>>
>>92385303
Savage Dragon occurs in roughly real time. In that Larsen will jump ahead every so often so that if a story happened ten years ago in our time, it was ten years ago for the characters. I think he once had an issue where several months went by at once because the book had been delayed.
>>
>>92385303
Marvel did this up until the sometime in the 70's. Honestly, I can't imagine sticking with a cape title long enough for it to really matter to me.
>>
File: Heavy_flo.jpg (29KB, 279x279px) Image search: [Google]
Heavy_flo.jpg
29KB, 279x279px
>>92386312
>>92386355
Too bad Savage Dragon is shit.
>>
>>92385638
can honestly say its one of my top 5 comics
>>
>>92385919
Prior to the last two decades most television shows lacked any sort of progression at all. Sit coms- for example- tend to exist in static or near static space as do the vast, vast majority of cop tv shows from the history of tv. Kojak didn't have a lot of character devlopment, and Magnum PI is living in the same place with the same friends at the end of the series.
I honestly don't remember season finales becming a thing until the late 1990's.
Most changes in TV were, as they are in cape comics, meaningless attention grabs.

However, I just pick my own ending. Ff 102' AS
m 121; Thor Uncanny X-men 200. It's fucking easy.
I mean do you really want to follow Peter Parker and Bruce Wayne into the adult diaper years? If not, how far does it have to go before it is far enough?
Do you think your need for OFFICIAL closure is more important than the enjoyment of all the people who still want Spider-man?
>>
>>92386462
Invincible too. Apple. Tree. Something something.
>>
>>92386161
The Simpsons.
There are tons of things where the status quo is reset way harder than cape comics.
>>
>>92386790
It may not be the same, it's not only about the lack of progression, but about how a collection of properties is built and evolves to a point of stagnation.

Is there a TV show which features several showrunners, each with a distinct style? That has run for close to a century developing an entire universe of characters? That has leaked into the subconscious of almost everyone on the planet in some way or another? And hey, let's throw this in as well, that in it's original form is no longer as profitable as an offshoot of it? Comics are that goddamn unique.

>However, I just pick my own ending.

I do this too! I no longer care about a bunch (80% or more) of Marvel/DC properties.
>>
>>92385761
nope and if you look in the archive you can find threads in where one anon went through everything in the hellboy universe and organized it chronologically. It has everything from BPRD, sledgehammer, lobster Johnson, witchfinder, abe sapien, hellboy. It's awesome and it's cool seeing how all these different tittles are connected. But yeah go in the archive and look up chronological mignolaverse
>>
>>92387098
Oh crap, it is such a turn off when I have to do a research before reading something, I wish they could just stick to a single title. Will do it anyway
>>
>>92386231
>All of the mainstay heroes are retiring or semi-retired.
>Since the relaunch there has been a theme of aging gracefully.
>We've even gotten explanations about long-standing mysteries like The Gentleman.

Is Astro City heading towards it's endgame?
>>
>>92387032
>Is there a TV show which features several showrunners, each with a distinct style? That has run for close to a century developing an entire universe of characters?

Doctor Who, well it's been around for half a century.
>>
>>92387452
Probably, they just hit 100 issues.
>>
>>92386462
It's not like Invincible is any good.
>>
Hellblazer, though I don't know whether it can be called a superhero comic.
>>
>>92387032
You know, I was thinking of the level of public awareness right acter I posted- and you're right.

Another difference is that capes aren't interchangable you can tell a cop story with any cop you want, you van even make one up that suits your needs.
You need Batman, or it's not a Batman story.
Fuck, when ypu do use a stand in, like on Arrow, everyone's thinking how much cooler it woyld be with Batman.
Yeah, picking your own ending is an idea I got from Erik Larsen of all places. He is actually a fan of limiting origressuon for big 2 characters.
>>
>>92387995
>tablet keyboard
>shame
Pick two.
>>
I've asked like three times for a download of the whole thing and I still don't have one
>>
File: chuck.jpg (8KB, 285x295px) Image search: [Google]
chuck.jpg
8KB, 285x295px
>>92386161
>Doctor Who may be the closest thing.
I'd say newspaper strips, which of course both predate the comics AND give them their name ( the first "comic books" were literally hardbound collections of daily strips like The Yellow Kid ), are pretty much the gold standard for recycling.

To the point that syndicate owned properties like Nancy can just keep chugging along long after the original creator has died. Same thing with Prince Valiant and B.C. and eventually Garfield ( I mean: when was the last time Jim Davis actually had anything hands on to do with it?).

On tv you can look at the old Westerns like Gun Smoke ( that ran 20 fucking years ) and nowadays just look at the number of Police Procedurals ( Law & Order has also been on for 20 years ).

The fact of the matter is that most people like a burger and fries entirely BECAUSE it's the same old thing. It's comfort food.
>>
It's not a comic, but Worm by Wildblow is capeshit that' like this. Good stuff even if it's not exactlt what you asked for.
>>
File: image.jpg (176KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
176KB, 960x960px
It's not a cape comic but PRINCE VALIANT is still going, same story since the 1930s which is inSaNe!
>>
>>92388188
>Worm by Wildblow
Actually most of the prose supers stuff I've seen is like this. Wild Cards ( which was a collective project sorta like Thieve's World edited by GRR Martin back in the day ) is, unsurprisingly, very Game of Thrones-ish when it comes to people dying or being horribly maimed and then staying that way.

http://www.wildcardsonline.com/books.html
>>
>>92388188
>Two worm threads in a week.
So has wildbow announced something since apparently you guys are pretty hyped?
>>
File: duh.jpg (49KB, 192x291px) Image search: [Google]
duh.jpg
49KB, 192x291px
>>92385303
>I don't even read comics
Kill yourself.
>>
>>92388131
>The fact of the matter is that most people like a burger and fries entirely BECAUSE it's the same old thing. It's comfort food.

Exactly, and what happens when burgers from McD's suck? Most people just go to another burger joint, instead of trying a different food.
>>
>>92388543
I find that most people who think Invincible is unique in any form tend to be people who don't read comics.
>>
>>92385303
read teo volumes of this and im honestly not seeing the hype. and why spoil who killed the guardians so early? why not leave it a mystery?
>>
>>92389109
Invincible is absolutely unique in that it's a cape comic with a consistent universe and one writer. Are there any others that can say the same?
>>
>>92389443
That one comic with the busty bikini ladies.
>>
>>92389675
Just remembered the name: Tarot.
>>
>>92389675
fair enough.
>>
>>92389443
Yes
>>92386231
>>92386312
>>
>>92389109
People who don't read comics don't even know invincible exists
>>
>>92389443
theres a decent amount but none are as popular
>>
File: TheNewColossus-thisendsnow[1].jpg (2MB, 1975x1791px) Image search: [Google]
TheNewColossus-thisendsnow[1].jpg
2MB, 1975x1791px
>>92385303

I know you mean superhero comics, but IDW G1 Transformers (and the subsequent Hasbro shared universe) can be rather close in general concept.

There have been changes both important and unimportant, the grand majority of people who explicitly die do not come back, and the status quo has changed quite a bit over its long run.

The biggest issue is just how fucking hard it is to get into it since the read order is fucked up.

https://zandergb.tumblr.com/post/47509563684/check-back-to-the-original-post-for-updates-before

This is a good start.

Of course, that's not to say it isn't without its flaws. Some of the deaths that happen really hurt, people survive things they really shouldn't have (at least 7 people have survived explosions point-blank, Starscream should have died 3 issues in), some dumbass moments, and some other inconsistencies.
>>
>>92386462
It really is. Malcom's fucking walking fetish Asian School Girl wife that still dresses in her sailor scout uniform even though she's a grown woman with a baby is just an embarrassment.
>>
>>92389968
>but none are as popular

how popular is Invincible compared to the Big 2?
>>
>>92390681
Insignificantly.
>>
>>92385303
>Is there any other superhero comic like Invincible?
There's plenty of garbage, yes.
>>
>>92386159
>skipping The Wolves of Saint August and The Corpse and the Iron Shoes
But those are collected in Library Edition 2.
>>
File: Invincible.jpg (126KB, 1000x758px) Image search: [Google]
Invincible.jpg
126KB, 1000x758px
>let's MILLIONS of people die by not fixing mistakes because his daughter won't exist

Mark deserved to raped
>>
>>92391928
Why did I laugh at this?
>>
>>92389443
My answer to your question is an unhelpful "I don't know", but as a tangent that sort of thing is par for the course with manga. I know it isn't /co/, but it's interesting seeing how the different cultures approach the comic medium.
>>
you mean manga OP?
>>
>>92392818
Only if you ignore the last sentence, yes.
>>
>>92392891
oh very good yeah i dont like manga too much some exceptions but theres graphic novels like the obvious watchmen and some elseworlds and what ifs have self contained stories that have beginnings middles and ends then theres non superhero comics like this crime series i got
>>
File: 012.jpg (295KB, 819x1200px) Image search: [Google]
012.jpg
295KB, 819x1200px
>>92392891
Ayy fuck you
>>
File: LastMoments.png (390KB, 850x478px) Image search: [Google]
LastMoments.png
390KB, 850x478px
>>92392640
>He wouldn't let others die to save his loved ones.

I bet you did the ''''''right'''''' thing in Infamous as well.
>>
>>92393546
I did the CANON thing, yes :^)
>>
>>92386164

there's only like one legitimate time skip, also you can boil anything down to super-broad buzzwords if you wanted to, why do people think shit like
>thing
>other thing!
>thing!

is an argument?
>>
>>92393671
Where is it canon?
>>
>>92393731
All the sequels. The comic book. The evil endings are never canon.
>>
>>92385734
superhero fans are children who never want to grow and change
>>
>>92389443
Allred's Madman
>>
>>92386413
>Marvel did this up until the sometime in the 70's

They did until 1968 when Franklin Richards was born. When he was born, time slowed down.

He was 18 months old in 1973 and 5 years old in 1998.
>>
>>92394001
they grow up so fast
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.