[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what was the message of Moana, really? "Never be satisfied

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 7

File: moana portrait.jpg (103KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
moana portrait.jpg
103KB, 1600x900px
So what was the message of Moana, really?

"Never be satisfied with what you have, even when you have it all"?
"The things you personally want are always more important than the community"?
"Never be afraid to throw away generations of history to bring back outdated traditions"?
>>
>>92380936
Never settle.
>>
>>92380936
Lift with your legs and not with your back.
>>
>>92380936
Always listen to your parents.
>>
Embrace your dreams and look for the most productive way to apply them. She wanted to explore the ocean and that coincided nicely with her island deteriorating.
>>
>>92380936
Brown girls are cute
>>
>>92381142
But then not really.
Run away at first opportunity to possibly get killed and leave your parents destroyed and your community without a leader when they pass.
>>
File: 1454105641551.gif (2MB, 235x240px) Image search: [Google]
1454105641551.gif
2MB, 235x240px
Some people just somehow know what they are made for, even if their peers say otherwise.

>tfw Moana is literally me and that's why I loved the movie
>>
The message is that even if you are indoctrinated into believing loyalty privelidges is the only that matters that 99% of the population can ever hope to be born with, in the end, we are survivors, we have sex when we want, we hunt for food of we want, we travel to different lands if we want. No matter which class you're born into, it should never blind you of the freedom that you have
>>
>>92381326
And remember, always put your own needs above the community that gave you everything!
>>
If you think you can help your dying community that is running out of food since the fish aren't being caught in your nets and your coconuts are dead inside and you're trapped on one island by rough waters, then go out and explore to find a solution to the problem.
And maybe, just maybe, have fun along the way.
>>
>>92380936
Don't listen to your granny and be who you are on the inside
Be beautiful instead
>>
>>92382310
Tamatoa saved Moana for me.
>>
>>92380936
more like "Never be afraid to try something new when the life you know is rapidly being destroyed by a magical curse".
>>
>>92381258
A leader is less important to an island community than food.
>>
>>92381301
you're a cute polynesian girl?
>>
File: tits-or-gtfo.jpg (40KB, 600x395px) Image search: [Google]
tits-or-gtfo.jpg
40KB, 600x395px
>>92381301
>>
The message is that you can tell a better story, have better characters, and better songs, but you still won't beat Frozen because it's about Brown People.
>>
>>92380936
Are you fucking dumb? You don't get a message from the beginning of a movie or a character before an arc.
>>
Story... first Strong female character ...
Me:Mulan
>>
The movie as a story is just waste of time andi don't even feel watching it again
>>
>>92380936

All traditions are obsolete
Your dreams are more important that parentsĀ“ dreams.
>>
>>92384225
>the dancers are practising
>they dance to an ancient song
>who needs a new song this old one's all we need

It's hard to tell what this was meant to convey. Is it ridiculing them for keeping their traditions alive? For not coming up with something new?
Polynesians today are ALL about their ancient shit. coming up with new dances and stories isn't exactly high priority compared to the old stuff.

So why the mockery?
>>
>>92384546
To show how ingrained doing things the old way was in their way of life and thinking, even when the old way wasn't working anymore.
>>
>>92384546
You can still be accepting of new things while remaining loyal to old beliefs
>>
never put the A team on a princess movie when the B team is making an animal movie earlier the same year.
>>
shit down shut up and give the mouse your money
>>
File: Tamatoa_holding_Moana.jpg (44KB, 768x318px) Image search: [Google]
Tamatoa_holding_Moana.jpg
44KB, 768x318px
That you'll never be as Shiny as Tamatoa
>>
>>92380936
Be true to who you want to be, Grow as a person, but remember to cherish in your heart where you came from.
>>
>>92380936
That all brown people are excellent singers with perfect hair/skin. Strong and independant woman but I need the entire fucking ocean and a demigod to do anything.
>>
>>92390270
Whoa an actual good answer in this thread, bravo

>>92391562
>Strong independant woman
>Needs Ocean or Demigod to do anything

Nice juxtaposition you got there
>>
>>92391562
I was actually surprised and pleased with how much shit Moana ate. She was clever, but she still had to learn how to do basic shit like sailing, and she was allowed to get tricked and make mistakes. It was pretty refreshing desu.
>>
>>92381965
But that's putting her own needs above the community that is trapped with no food
>>
File: Moana2.webm (3MB, 1920x808px) Image search: [Google]
Moana2.webm
3MB, 1920x808px
>>92394346
>>
You can be proud of who you are if you are inexplicably chosen by the gods to be important.
>>
>>92391562
This.It was pandering to polynesians, yet another princess of color to the Disney Dolls pantheon.
>>
>>92380936

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f81_F16rDlI

Posting best song. How does Disney's CGI get better every movie?
>>
>>92394415
She was the only one who wasn't scared enough to not venture out beyond her island. She's not just gonna stay there and suffer with everyone else when she can actually go and make a difference to help her people.
>>
>>92394415
She went to capture Maui and give back the heart to the Lava/Island Goddess. Before she left to do all those things she wasn't what her community needed, she was a leader but the people she governed had to be led OUT of the several generations long rut they had been stuck in.

The community had to get off that island, but no one knew how to properly sail. Moana thought that by getting off there and restoring the heart would save her people.
>>
>>92394415

She had no needs. If anything her "need" was to save her village. What, you expect her to stay and everyone dies?
>>
>>92390148

I love the call back to Kaa when his eyes were flashing back and forth. And mentioning Sebastian.
>>
>>92394697
>Actually agreeing with that idiot
>M-muh pandering to non-whites

And back to /pol/ you go
>>
>>92394700
Songs short but sweet, probably the best looking scene in any 3D animated movie as well
>>
>>92380936
Be true to your heritage. It will always be part of who you are.
>>
Would you guys watch a spin-off cartoon about Maui and other Polynesian lore/heritage stuff?
>>
>>92394604
>diving head first onto a raft

what an idiot.
good thing she hit the water. yet we're supposed to find that funny and groan and go "oh man! she missed the boat! haha!"

she'd probably be crippled if she hadn't. what a piece of shit movie. fuck disney for encouraging dangerous behaviour.
>>
>>92381656
She never once did that fuck off.
>>
File: Tamatoa-shineh.gif (2MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
Tamatoa-shineh.gif
2MB, 480x270px
>>92394852
>Call back to Kaa

Shit I just realized that
>>
>>92395059
>good thing she hit the water.
Water isn't exactly soft.
>>
>>92394668
>inexplicably chosen
She saved a turtle.
Which is more than Elsa did to get ice powers.
>>
>>92395150
depends on how far you fall from.
>>
>>92395059
Not sure if baiting or not but she was clearly aiming for Maui
>>
>>92394961
Fuck off back to >>>/pol/
>>
>>92395474

>loving your heritage
>/pol/

Tumblrite detected.
>>
>>92395187
Honestly I figured the main reason she didn't break her face was because the ocean literally has her back.
>>
>>92395474
I think you replied to the wrong anon
>>
>>92395054
I would watch a spinoff cartoon about Tamatoa going about his daily business.
>>
>>92395175

Elsa was born with that privilege, every single woman on earth wants to be her.
>>
>>92397231
Was it ever explained why she even had ice powers?
>>
>>92394415
I have to ask, have you ever actually solved any sort of problem in your life? Like, actually properly identified the problem, searched for the cause, find out how to fix it then go about fixing it?

I can assure you, sitting on your ass and hoping that shit will just "be okay" isn't how it's done. You have to look beyond the immediate situation to see what has to be done.
>>
File: 9346934963496934.jpg (36KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
9346934963496934.jpg
36KB, 625x626px
>>92397231
>privilege

To be fair it was more of a curse if anything since it nearly destroyed the entire world before she got it under control.
>>
>>92399904
Just born with it
>>
>>92383936
I had that mindset going into Moana but it really isn't a strong a movie as Frozen.
>>
>>92395474
Back to >>>/pol/
>>
Outward appearances aren't everything

Maui puts on bravado but it's only to make up for the lack of love his parents gave him via abandonment
The village elders tried to hide that the people of Motu Nui used to be voyagers to help protect the m
Tamatoa thinks having a flamboyant appearance is all that's needed in life, so he gussies himself up
And finally, the whole Te Ka/ Te Fiti thing

on a more unintentional meta note, Pua wasn't in the movie as much as the merchandise implied
>>
>>92400137
Frozen's antagonism is completely out of left field and almost all of its interpersonal conflict could be resolved if the characters had a five minute conversation. There was especially no real reason for Anna to be kept in the dark like that past her teenage years except to create contrived drama.
>>
>>92399964
Elsa had the same problem as Zack Snyder Superman. A shitty dad that went "hide no matter what!" rather than ever once thinking "maybe you should learn what you're doing".

Characters like that make me wonder if this is how pro-gun people feel because holy shit is it obnoxious to see scared characters shut down entirely.
>>
>>92400137
>Moana isn't a strong a movie as frozen

Kek
>>
>>92394697
>>92391562
I don't get it, why are some white people so salty whenever people who aren't white are portrayed in a good/non-secondary light? That's not even true, the characters in Moana were allowed to change/grow on their own.
You could literally argue every single white Disney princess/movie was:
>That all white people are excellent singers with perfect hair/skin. Strong and independant woman but I need the entire fucking forest and magic to do anything.
and that they're "pandering to whites, yet another white princess to the Disney dolls pantheon", but that would make you supremely angry even though you're doing the same thing.
>>
What happened when she got back to her island after giving the heart back? Was she just like "hey guys I did it, the island is save!" even tho her dad didn't believe that kinda stuff worked.
Did they all just start sailing in the end because Moana said she did something?
>But she gave the heart back so the plants started growing again! So everyone believes her!
No one believed her before tho
>>
>>92399964

the word "prvililedge" lost it's meaning, people whine they suffer from white priviledge (non white whine they are not white eough, whity pity themselves because they're white...) , they feel priviledged bcause they live in current era etc.

it's so stupid.
>>
>>92394700

>How does Disney's CGI get better every movie?

they have computers, bah! farms of computers!
>>
>>92380936
Not every movie has a message ffs, it was just a story
>>
>>92380936
>>92381184
All valuable lessons.
>>
>>92402893
She went out on a month-long voyage and came back alive. Clearly, whatever threat was making it impossible to sail is now gone.
>>
Technically, it's an ancestor myth so it doesn't NEED a moral. Moana's descendants will talk about how their forebarer was Moana: the great explorer, taught by Maui to sail the seas, who healed a goddess to restore the oceans so that he people could conquer the seas with their own hands.

If there IS a moral, its that you make your own destiny.
>>
>>92380936
You need to know and respect your history and traditions. You can't just cut them off from yourself. Her father tried to remake the entire island and cut it off from their heritage as explorers. She rebelled against that to make herself and her village whole and healthy again. It's a fairly conservative message, I wouldn't have expected it from Disney.
>>
>>92384546
It was to emphasize how annoying Moana found their islands traditions at that point in the movie, by portraying them as stupid. After her father teaches her the importance of the traditions, she comes to appreciate them and the tone of the song changes to a more positive one.
>>
>>92394852
he also has genie's lamp on his back
>>
In the original cut of the song, Tamatoa sings
>Far from the gods who abandoned you chasing
>the love of these humans who made you feel wanted
>but it's never enough; love yourself; put your armor up
>they can't see your heart is a vacancy, so why not be SHINY?

I think that sums up the movie's message. It not only mirrors Maui's situation, but the island chief's band standing about how great the island was after his heart was broken by the ocean. It was also a mentality that he tried to install upon Moana by singing about how great the island traditions are, but the fact that the island's real traditions were the opposite made it clear that he was only playing up how great THESE traditions are to convince himself that sailing was dumb.

I'm sure the god's heart literally being a vacancy is some sort of symbolism that ties into this, too.
>>
>>92380936
even when you have it all, it all comes to an end, that's why we must keep moving forward for new things
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.