[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This run was varying levels of mediocre but since issue 14 it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

File: Best Bane Story.jpg (287KB, 1500x2277px) Image search: [Google]
Best Bane Story.jpg
287KB, 1500x2277px
This run was varying levels of mediocre but since issue 14 it has been really fucking good. King's take on Batman is at least daring and fresh and themes and motifs throughout his run have been excellently executed. I don't even know what problems you'd have with I Am Bane arc.
Also Finch did the best work of his career in I Am Bane, might not mean much but it was actually good.
>>
>>92368500

>King's take on Batman is at least daring and fresh

Bruce believing himself to be nothing but the Batman is taking straight from the DCAU, but in here King turned it up to eleven by revealing that Bruce metaphorically killed his "human" identity at 10 to escape his existential pain, which in my opinion is just overkill, as well as his suicide theme that permeates the entire fucking run with every character attempting to kill themselves in their own unique ways.
>>
>>92368500
it's a weird day when Finch is the better artist on a title but Janin is just shitting the bed left and right
>>
>>92368500

>Best Bane Story.jpg

You got to be fucking kidding me. The Bane mini that was released last weak was much better and is on its first issue.
>>
I've been really enjoying it. Had some real great issues. Read Snyder's run on the side to cements King as better to me
>>
Too many misses, not enough hits. Overselling the "Batman disappears" meme is what made me drop the run, but I'll probably pick up as The Button issues keeps coming out.
>>
>>92368667
>The Bane mini that was released last weak
>weak

anywho, how good was that? is it it's own standalone arc? or is it connected to the Rebirth universe?
>>
>>92368611
I don't really agree, he hasn't really killed his humanity. The whole arc throughout the three arcs is very visible. In arc one we see what Batman is looking for and who he is. He wants the long term solution for Gotham because he knows even though he is the best the Gotham has, he won't be enough one day. We also see the huge hints of suicidal undertones.
In arc two we learn why Batman is the way he. His childhood trauma, his resolve. He turned his suicidal thoughts into a strong vow, that he would war against criminals. Because he doesn't want this to happen to anyone else. But the suicidal tendencies are still there, even though he is fighting for the good with strong resolve, he still might take up a good death because he thinks that's something that would've pleased his parents.
Then in I Am Bane he pretty much realizes that he doesn't really have to die a good death, he just needs to keep fighting on. He was pretty much going for his death but realized that's neither what he should do because Gotham needs him, nor what his parents would've wanted for him.
I really like the character arc even though I don't like I Am Gotham and I Am Suicide. I Am Bane is pretty fucking good though. Also I really hate how people were too caught up on stupid shit like "lol how can Batman defeat Bane with a headbutt" and "why was Martha talking to Bruce" and didn't realize what King was trying to say with the character. It's like Morrison's Batman all over again.
>>
>>92368977
>Dixon
Expect the most middle of the line book you will find. Dixon is the Jurgens of Batman.
>>
File: batburger.jpg (2MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
batburger.jpg
2MB, 1988x3056px
The banter at Bat Burger was the best part.
>>
>>92369064
This. People are being way too autistic about this run. He's put Bruce back with the family and gave him his voice back.
>>
>>92369089
He use to be the Morrison of Batman (before Morrison).
>>
>>92369193
no, that was O'Neil
>>
>>92369201
It was a team job. O'Neil was his editor.
>>
>>92368500
>King: "Bruce Wayne is dead, there's only Batman"
>daring and fresh take
Sure, OP.
>>
>>92369193
This >>92369201 anon is right, I wouldn't even put him anywhere close to top 10 Batman writers.
>>
>>92369189
Batfags get the best writers, best artists, and best editors, and still sperg out. They did it to Morrison, they'll do it to King. I honestly don't get it, isn't having your favorite character be DC's last sacred cow enough?
>>
>>92369224
>Bruce Wayne is dead, there's only Batman
Not really going to refute this obvious misunderstanding of King's take on Batman twice in the same thread. Read here >>92369064.
>>
>>92369228
I would. He is pretty much the face of the 90s Batbooks (along with O'Neil) and the one who launched Robin and Nightwing into ongoings.
>>
>>92369216
you know O'Neil had a Batman run before Dixon that basically defined modern Batman, right? And that's not even counting Legends of the Dark Knight.
>>
>>92369224
There's a great quote that someone once said but I can't remember who
>Somewhere in the Bat Bible it is written that Bruce Wayne is just a mask for Batman. Oh and he's not insane for that.
Like come on please stop feeding into that meme.
>>
>>92369238
>best artists
>Janin and Finch
>>
>>92369238
Nah they're too busy not muhing. There are always alternative to main title considering there are always 3 or 4 Batman books out on the shelves at the same time.
>>
>>92369256
yeah and Slott is the face of Spider-man, that doesn't make him good
>>
Anyone got that page where Batman & Catwoman defeat like a dozen Z-listers? I remember it had Gorilla Boss.
>>
>>92369256
Sure but that doesn't make him the best writer. Have you gone back to his Nightwing and Robin recently? They're really generic. Alan Grant was telling the the best Batman stories of the 90s outside of whenever O'Neil wrote something.
>>
>>92369246
It's not a misunderstanding when King literally stated that in one of his interviews.
>>
>>92368500

I Am Suicide > Rooftops > I Am Bane > I Am Gotham.
>>
>>92369189
>He's put Bruce back with the family and gave him his voice back.
Both untrue and I am a fan of King's run. King's use of Bat family in the arc was Death of The Family tier. Although Both Snyder's and King's intentions were different.
>>
File: Batman (2016-) 014-011.jpg (2MB, 3975x3056px) Image search: [Google]
Batman (2016-) 014-011.jpg
2MB, 3975x3056px
>>92369064
I enjoyed the thematic and internal climax of the final Bane fight. While Batman and Bane share the internal drive and mirrored goals, on a conceptual level Batman is stronger than Bane is.

>>92369293
Gotcha senpai
Mad Monk was the Z lister that induces the most hype in me.
>>
>>92369320
I don't think you have had to read some of the terrible Robin and Nightwing writers that followed like Beechen/Willingham or Grayson/Wolfman/Jones if you think he was mediocre.
>>
File: C_j23tpUMAAckWD.jpg (350KB, 1200x927px) Image search: [Google]
C_j23tpUMAAckWD.jpg
350KB, 1200x927px
>>92369371
Can't wait for this week.
>>
>>92369377
other writers being terrible don't make Dixon good
>>
>>92369349
Link me.
>>92369371
There are probably going to be a lot of z Listers in upcoming arc. Hope we see some good ones soon.
>>
>>92369391
>Link me
http://www.comicosity.com/interview-tom-king-on-batmans-intimate-reveal-i-am-suicide/
>>
>>92369377
No but Tomasi/Morrison/Seeking did the better Grayson and Yost wote better Tim. In comparison Dixon's stuff does look mediocre. It was definitely a product of its time, just hasn't aged well.
>>
>>92369256
can you seriously claim he's better than
>O'Neil
>Miller
>Morrison
>Grant
>Dini
>Englehart
>Brubaker
>Gaiman
>Finger
>Adams
>>
>>92369420
Where does it say that Bruce Wayne is dead?
>>
>>92369425
>Brubaker
Not him but Bru's Batman is shit, being better wouldn't really be an accomplishment.
>>
>>92369388
It absolute does when apparently the majority of the writers put on these books failed to even come close to Dixon. There wasn't anyone close to Dixon for Nightwing (barring Dickbats) until King/Seely. There hasn't been anyone for Tim since Dixon. You really can't claim mediocre when all the writers on Robin/Red Robin when worse than he was with a couple that were close to equivalent.
>>
>>92369064

You're actually wrong about your interpretation of King's take on Batman. You're thinking of suicide in a literal sense.

In King's take Bruce sees being Batman as a form of suicide, in that "Bruce Wayne" died so that others could be protected and live. It's as if Batman was Bruce's suicide incarnate. Him as Batman exist only to help others. That's all there is to him now. That's his death.

That's why he and Catwoman talk about them not being able to be together for long, because he's Batman, and why Batman describe their intimate moments together as if they were sharing their deaths.

It doesn't mean that he'll actually kill himself or purposely be suicidal. Just that being Batman is a form of suicide.
>>
>>92369435
>"when Batman made his vow, he came to that moment to commit suicide, and he thinks of himself now as having killed off Bruce Wayne to become Batman"
>>
>>92369442
Conway then
>>
>>92369425
I can definitely put him above Brubaker and maybe Rucka. And by sheer length of his tenure, definitely above Dini.
>>
>>92369469
>length of tenure=quality
>Gaiman wrote two fucking issues that were better than anything Dixon wrote
>>
>>92369448
being "the best" Nightwing writer and being a mediocre writer are not mutually exclusive when as you say, the majority of Nightwing writers aren't very good.
>>
>>92369450

It's also why when Bruce talks to Martha, he contradicts her. He didn't think of Gotham and Gotham Girl as a means to an end. As if they represented the hope that Gotham would be looked after and he could retire or die. Because being Batman is already that. His a ghoul now. He helped Gotham and Gotham Girl because that's what he does. There's nothing more to it. He's Batman.

Which now that he talked with Thomas from Flashpoint i want to see what he'll do.
>>
>>92369450
>It doesn't mean that he'll actually kill himself or purposely be suicidal. Just that being Batman is a form of suicide.
Yes, being Batman is a form of suicide but here in a literal sense as well as metaphorical. The whole first issue Batman is doing something that was suicidal, because he has to. He's doing it for the good of the other but if in doing so he dies, he's worried if his death and why he died is something that his parents would be proud of. He literally asks Alfred that and the last panel of I Am Bane is him realizing he doesn't need to die a good death to make his parents proud. Martha asks if he knows that and he says yes.
The good death thing isn't really something new, it's very much Miller inspired but I do think it is fresh.
>>
>>92369452
Also Monech and Milligan, Wein wrote some good stories as well.
>>
>>92369488
Nightwing's past stories being so bland, boring, and outright bad has made me hate Bludhaven. I never want to visit it again.
>>
>>92369531
Don't leave out Steve Engleheart.
>>
>>92369924
He already mentioned Engleheart.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.