[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/0 5/12/fantastic-four-char

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

File: misc-600x641.jpg (88KB, 600x641px) Image search: [Google]
misc-600x641.jpg
88KB, 600x641px
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/05/12/fantastic-four-characters-marvel-comics-restricted-licensing-x-men/

This is the list sent out to sketch card artists specifying which characters were off limits, in March 2016. Allegedly artists are still getting it this year, which is weird because Ego is on this list and he was in GOTG 2. But also notable is that the "Kree Race" is also on the list. Also it's likely the "Miracle Man" on the list refers to the character who showed up in the first year of Fantastic Four and not the one Moore made famous.

Obviously previously licensed characters are off limits such as Rom, Micronauts, Transformers, GI Joe, and Conan, but it also meant that Shuma Gorath is off limits because there may be some issues (just the name was mentioned in a Robert E. Howard story, but he was never shown or described before until a Doctor Strange story!). And of course creator-owned stuff like Millar's Kick-Ass or Bendis' Powers is also off-limits.

But what's weird is that the Earth X and Marvel Zombie characters are off-limits (the Zombies in particular have "under no circumstances can these be done"). Wasn't there someone on here who said that Disney deliberately enforced a "no zombie superheroes" thing? With the exception of the Zombies Assemble comic recently, depictions of Marvel Zombies in the last three or so years were supervillains (Secret Wars and that time when Miles and Spider-Gwen accidentally teleported to the zombie planet).
>>
Still a ban on ff related stuff. The lasped character part make sense.

Shuma gorath is a new thing. His name isn't there's to use somewhat.

Xmen ban lifted. Might even be in mvc but not ff.
>>
>And there are certain looks that are forbidden, no smoking, no alcohol, no nudity, no real guns, no trademarks, no Nazis
Make Mine Marvel Boring!
>>
>>92318134
Well to be fair, this is for trading cards, which actually show up at more stores than comics (Target and Walmart have spaces for trading cards, for instance).
>>
>>92318037
This is from March 2016, so the X-Men ban lifting was probably just to promote Apocalypse which came out two months later.

Anyway this is just the kind of garbage you sign up for when you're with Disney.
>>
File: WAT.jpg (70KB, 703x493px) Image search: [Google]
WAT.jpg
70KB, 703x493px
>Realistic Guns. If you gave to draw a character with a gun make it a fantasy gun an nothing that exists in the real world.
>Guns can NOT be pointed at the viewer.
>>
>>92318184
>Target and Walmart
But those places are full of kids whose parents love smoking, alcohol, nudity, real guns, trademarks, and Nazis!
>>
>>92318294
Just Wal-Mart.

Besides, they're American, so they become frothingly indignant at the thought of children being exposed to those things, despite spending all day smoking and drinking and shooting guns at home.
>>
>Nazis
kek
>>
>>92318037
The list is a bit iffy cause like I said, Ego's on it (and he did get merchandised; he got a Funko Pop and Dorbz, and a Marvel Legends figure), even though they did make negotiations to get him for GOTG 2 before the list was made (but I guess they didn't want to reveal it so soon). And The Watchers also show up in GOTG 2 but they aren't named Aron and Uatu, but it's weird to get the Watchers but not those two as well since the Watchers were primarily an F4 thing.

>Xmen ban lifted.

Not quite; in the article there was also mention that at the time (March 2016) they added Apocalypse, Gambit, and Rogue to it. I don't know if that really changed since. But they did make a Marvel Legends Rogue recently.
>>
>>92318370
When you have Hydra, who needs them?
>>
>>92318229
Actually its fox fault. Anyway only a few xmen left on that ban while cyclops isn't. Gambit, Rouge and apoc and Nightcrawler. They r oved the ban on everyone else.
All the other bans make sense. Germany fon't want nazi stuff shown worldwide. Marvel zombies paints the heroes in gruesome ways.

Earth X must be partly creator owned as the story beats but not the characters. Similar to dc series star man.

Watchers are not on the list but uatu and aron are. Kree as well. Meaning mcu probably has a different alien for carol.

Some guns are copyrighted and using them equals getting sued for millions or billions.

Punisher used fake guns in the conway run.
>>
>>92318419
This is a media ban not a action figure ban. Cards and posters and stuff.

Bans like this are actually common for products. For whatever reasons.
>>
Also:

>Earth-8311 (The Spider-Ham universe of characters)

That's pretty weird that it got included on that list as well.
>>
>>92317810
Kree race is weird since the MCU has already used them with both Ronan in GOTG. And the Inhumans arc in AoS
>>
>>92318910
Disney is known for their anthropomorphic animals, maybe they didn't want Marvel stepping in on their territory...
>>
>>92319253
Disney prefers the new spider ham versions. See the cartoon or the spider verse one.
>>
>>92319078
I wonder if it's an issue similar to the Skrulls. "Skrull Race" is also on the list, even though Skrulls are shared with Fox (not counting Super Skrull). But then again Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch aren't on the list.
>>
>>92317810

Disney doesn't like zombies because they're scary to kids
>>
>>92318760
Yeah, there's an upcoming figure for both Sue Storm and the Human Torch for Marvel Legends as well.
>>
>>92317810
> Conan The Barbarian & associated universe including…
> Red Sonja
> Thulsa Doom
> Kulan Gath
> “ROM” the space night
> Any and all Shogun warriors including Red Ronin.
> G.I. Joe
> Transformers
> “CRYSTAR” the Crystal Warrior
> The Micronauts (however, “Bug” from the Guardians of the Galaxy is allowed)
> Halo
> Godzilla
> Any “Steven King” Characters (i.e. Dark Tower series)
> Characters from the Clive Barker Universe
> “KICK ASS” “Nemesis” and any other Miller verse characters.
> Criminal and anything owned by Ed Brubaker.
> Powers and anything owned by Brian Bendis.
> Any character not owned by Marvel even if they appear in a comic book published by Marvel. (if you’re unsure please ask)
> All Amalgam characters
> Any Marvel /DC team up’s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWkxvIaKsFU

> Any “Malibu” Characters
> Ant CROSSGEN characters
> All Earth X characters
> Live Action Hulk TV show (i.e. Lou Ferrigno as Hulk)
> Earth-8311 (The Spider-Ham universe of characters)

These ones are more interesting, no real "we have no movie rights" bullshit there. Do they just want to pretend they don't exist or something?

> Mr. Fantastic
> Invisible Woman
> Thing
> Human Torch
> Doctor Doom
> Galactus
> Silver Surfer
> The Watcher
> Skrulls

I.e a huge chunk of iconic characters, great...
>>
>>92320186
Malibu is in legal limbo. Crossgen is owned by disney not marvel.

It's only the Fantastic Four and few Xmen.
>>
>>92318037
FF fags btfo
I remember when X-fags offered alliance with them and they were like "Fuck off X-fags, don't involve us with your whining"

Now, X-Men are okay again, while FF is in limbo
>>
I swear, Marvel is suffering a fate worse than death.
>>
>>92318244
not-NERF Punisher when?
>>
what's wrong with zombie superheros
>>
>>92322814
Might be a marketing thing.
>>
>>92320186
The licensed/creator owned is pretty obvious, but you know there's probably one artist who'd try to look for loopholes so they gotta cover their ass.

For Malibu and Crossgen characters they had contracts different from Marvel's that allow for larger royalties to creators.

And the live-action Hulk show was made by Universal in the 70s. Disney didn't buy the rights to that.
>>
>>92317810
Nice to know they haven't forgotten about Robbie
>>
>>92322814
Marvel Zombies (the comics) was utter dreck and the less new fans who stumble across them the better
>>
>>92318134
> No Nazis

Someone forgot to tell Spencer.
>>
>>92317810

Weirdly, IDW publishes collections of Marvel's UK and US TF comics.
>>
>>92318571
Why would they have a different alien for Carol? The Kree are pretty prominent in the MCU already.
>>
>>92318244
>Realistic Guns. If you gave to draw a character with a gun make it a fantasy gun an nothing that exists in the real world.

Could this be an issue with manufacturers owning the likenesses of the guns? I know games like Ace Combat need to license the planes
>>
>>92322814
China? Or is that just skeletons?
>>
>>92325546
No, there are too many designs these days that are either expired, public, foreign, or unowned for that to be an excuse. For a lot of guns, only names are retained.

For example the AR-15 and M16 (pretty much the same thing) can actually be depicted, made and sold by anyone (assuming they are following federal legislation on manufacturing), you just can't call it an AR-15 because Colt owns that and you can't call it an M16 because the DoD owns that. In fact, the overwhelming amount of guns available today are like that, you can make it look like anything you want, you just can't actually call it what it is or show off a company logo like the stylized G that is used by Glock or the HK that is used by Heckler and Koch.
>>
>>92325659
That's just skeletons. I think it's korea and india that get all pissy when you show dead people doing things.
>>
>>92322814
They don't let other companies use the zombie stuff; I remember when I played their mmo Marvel Heroes, one of the most requested costumes were Zombie versions. The company came out and said they weren't allowed to do zombie costumes.

I think it clashes too much with being appropriate for kids, especially now that Disney owns them. Like they can do separate Marvel Zombie stuff once in awhile but they keep it segregated from everything else.
>>
>>92326228

>I remember when I played their mmo Marvel Heroes, one of the most requested costumes were Zombie versions. The company came out and said they weren't allowed to do zombie costumes.

>I think it clashes too much with being appropriate for kids, especially now that Disney owns them. Like they can do separate Marvel Zombie stuff once in awhile but they keep it segregated from everything else.

They did allow Marvel Selects to make some figures and Wizkids to do some Heroclix but then again those were before the Disney buyout.

I think I get why Millar knew he had to bail on Marvel; he definitely would not have gotten away with doing the stuff he did in Ultimates or creating the Marvel Zombies storyarc for UFF. He was damn lucky he was able to do those in the time he did.
>>
>>92328261
Actually come to think of it, even after the Disney buyout NECA did Marvel Zombies Heroclix, but they were all villains (and in turn the Zombie realm in Secret Wars was all villains too)
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.