[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazin e/archive/2017/06/how-pi

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: lead_960.jpg (168KB, 960x552px) Image search: [Google]
lead_960.jpg
168KB, 960x552px
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/06/how-pixar-lost-its-way/524484/#article-comments

>Theme-park rides are premised on an awareness of the theme in question, and young parkgoers are less likely to be familiar with movies that are more than a decade old. If you want them clamoring to experience Toy Story Midway Mania, they’ll need a Toy Story 4. Cars Land could use a Cars 3, and Finding Nemo–associated rides were due a Finding Dory.

When do you think Pixar's "Golden Age" ended?

Also, this article shits on Cars, which is a good movie, and plays up Toy Story 3 and Up, neither of which were that great.
>>
Apparently 3-10 year olds only watch new movies and do not partake in DVDs
>>
>When do you think Pixar's "Golden Age" ended?
The Golden Age ran from 'Finding Nemo' through 'Up'. That was a nice, tight run of consistently great films (Cars being the weakest of the bunch, but still pretty good). Everything since then has been super hit-or-miss - for every 'Inside Out' there's been a 'Good Dinosaur'.

'Cars 3' looks like shit, 'Coco' looks like shit, and if the much-anticipated 'Incredibles 2' disappoints audiences next Summer they'll have a hard time getting anyone to come out for yet another Toy Story sequel the following year.
>>
>>92317379
People often talk about the first five minutes of Up, but they conveniently forget about the next hour and a half of getting chased around by le dog blimp man. Some of the worst pacing in a Pixar movie ever.
>>
>>92317441
I enjoyed 95% of Up. It has a few weak scenes, but overall it's a lot of fun. The only thing the last 90 minutes suffer from are not being quite as good as the first 5, and that doesn't make it a bad film.
>>
>>92317213
This seem so odd, I watched through all of my families VHS' when I was a child which had all the Golden Age Disney classics that came out way before that. Shouldn't modern children get exposure to older Disney movies through Netflix?
>>
File: 1492717597050.jpg (6KB, 304x218px) Image search: [Google]
1492717597050.jpg
6KB, 304x218px
>Also, this article shits on Cars, which is a good movie, and plays up Toy Story 3 and Up, neither of which were that great.

Is it opposite day?
>>
File: pixar canon needs update.png (615KB, 838x588px) Image search: [Google]
pixar canon needs update.png
615KB, 838x588px
For reference
>>
>>92317827
yah, for me Pixar ended with TS3.

skipped Cars 2, , brave was misleading, MU was decent, IO tried too hard to pull heartstrings and skipped GD because I already saw one pixar movie that year.
not to mention weird look of that dinosaur.
>>
>Cars which was good

>KACHOW
>YOU DUN PISTON HIS CUP GIT R DUN
>GOTTA GO FAST
>CAR SEX
>They still sell cars merchandise to this day

Only one decent thing came from Cars.
LIFE IS A HIGHWAY, I WANNA RIDE IT ALL NIGHT LONG
>>
>>92317113
The author didn't watch past the first 15 minutes of Up, it seems.

Toy Story 3 was great.
>>
>toy story
>"“franchise reboot”

ohhhhhhh shit.
>>
>>92318694
>>92317827
Pixar was at it's peak with toy story 3. This was their first movie, and their last movie as a juggernaut, now it's a zombie studio with diz bucks. even the ending had every character die, oh wait, deus ex machina, nevermind let's just soft reboot, which is like admitting that they should have died.

Tldr
Toy story was the beginning and end of their success.
>>
>>92317113
>young parkgoers are less likely to be familiar with movies that are more than a decade old

parents, on the other hand, are extremely likely to put on movies for their kids that they themselves grew up with. Or does the author think that once a movie is out of theaters, it no longer exists?
>>
>>92319216
so, what are we going to do now? root for new aspiring studios?
>>
>>92317113
their golden age ended years ago
>>
>>92317661
Cars is shit
>>
>>92319458
7 years ago.
>>
>>92319421
That seems to be more what Disney management's thinking is now.
>>
I think Pixar is the reason why animation never matured as an art form and got stuck as a genre in US. The success of Toy Story ruined animation.
>>
>>92319043

Automobile
>>
>>92319913
>why animation never matured as an art form
You can hardly blame Pixar for that, animation had decades to allow itself to mature before Pixar was even a twinkle in Steve Jobs eye
>>
>>92320168
>before Pixar was even a twinkle in Steve Jobs eye
You mean George Lucas?
>>
>>92320168
Yeah. Hanna Barbara worked very hard to make animation be seen as nothing but cheap garbage only suitable for children hepped up on sugary cereal.
>>
>>92317827
honestly in my opinion Ratatouille is Pixar's worst non sequel/prequel film(although I haven't seen Good Dinosaur yet, so that might be worse for all I know)
>>
>>92320288
Anton Ego detected.
>>
It died with Cars. That's when the profit motive became higher than the artistic output.

If not Cars, it died with Brave. I didn't even see that movie. But once Monsters University came out, it became a joke.
>>
>>92320398
Here's what I was expecting from Monster's U. At the end of the movie Mike overcomes his weaknesses and gives the scariest scream of all, the OK frat becomes legend and everyone graduates summa cum laude. Instead, the movie drops the truth bomb that, no matter how hard you want something, you just may not be any good at it. I thought it was ballsy as fuck, and an incredibly valuable lesson.
>>
>>92320398
>>92320472
MU was pretty good.
At the very least, newer Pixar movies LOOK so much better than trash like Frozen its unbelievable.
>>
>>92320272
they also had to produce cartoons for a TV budget and a TV schedule.
>>
>UP:the park ride
>based on the first 10 minutes of the movie.
That's a really rough ride, even for grown ups.
>>
>>92320907
>WARNING! Pregnant women should not board UP: The Park Ride!
>>
>>92320288
Come on, Ego's speech at the end of the movie alone makes it worth a watch.
>>
>>92317113
after toy story 3 probably
>>
File: decline of pixar.png (1MB, 1666x720px) Image search: [Google]
decline of pixar.png
1MB, 1666x720px
>>92317827
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.