[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tom King & Mitch Gerads Attempt to Escape the Absurdity of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 553
Thread images: 45

File: IMG_7825.jpg (1MB, 1200x1822px)
IMG_7825.jpg
1MB, 1200x1822px
Tom King and Mitch Gerads Mister Miracle finally announced!

There's an interview too

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/05/exclusive-tom-king-mitch-gerads-miracle-man.html
>>
>>92311020
It will be about the drama and happiness of having a dominant nymphomaniac wife two times bigger than you.

I wish.
>>
File: Mister-Miracle-1-Cover-Color.jpg (2MB, 1200x1821px) Image search: [Google]
Mister-Miracle-1-Cover-Color.jpg
2MB, 1200x1821px
>>
File: Vomiting-Bile.jpg (88KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
Vomiting-Bile.jpg
88KB, 500x334px
>Tom King
>>
File: MMIR_01_7.jpg (2MB, 1200x1846px) Image search: [Google]
MMIR_01_7.jpg
2MB, 1200x1846px
>Paste: Mitch, there’s so much going on in Mister Miracle #1. I’m seeing Ben-Day dots, selective blurring, watercolor textures, tube TV distortion. It’s heavily atmospheric. How is this challenging you as an artist? What are your main goals?

>Mitch Gerads: The book has been a crazy experience. It’s very challenging and it’s also exactly the opposite of that. Because of the theme of how Tom and I are approaching the story, it allows me to play with reality. When I do my art, I tend to be very inspired by what I’m consuming at that time, and I remember doing issue one of Mister Miracle and being very inspired by ‘60s magazine illustrators: Austin Briggs, Al Parker. I think a lot of that came through, but one of the nice things is, because of the nature of the book, as we go forward I can still be influenced by what I’m consuming at that time and just evolve with it. I get to use the reality-bending nature of the book as an excuse to do that.
>>
>>92311153
Lewd
>>92311020
Excited for this, weird side shit is what King is good at.
>>
File: MMIR_01_8.jpg (2MB, 1200x1846px) Image search: [Google]
MMIR_01_8.jpg
2MB, 1200x1846px
>Paste: Mister Miracle seems more cinematic and visual than your previous collaboration.

>Gerads: Sheriff is completely grounded in reality. For all intents and purposes, it definitely could have happened. Mister Miracle is super fun because I get to play with fantasy, but at the same time, I think I play with fantasy differently than most comic book artists. I still play with it in the real world. One of the fun things for me is taking all of these Kirby designs and taking the crazy world of New Genesis and the crazy world of Apokolips and boiling it down to more Game of Thrones. All that stuff is still there and the motifs can still be there. But I’m bringing it down to a base level that everyone can understand, and feels a bit more tactile and real.

>Paste: Reading the first issue, I couldn’t help but think of Mister Miracle as an evolution of The Last Temptation of Christ, a son of a god attempting to escape his identity.

>King: When I first started doing this project, I started talking with creators like Mark Waid and one of the things I came across was people saying, you didn’t know Mister Miracle was Jack Kirby’s Jesus? He’s Jesus as an escape artist. That’s utterly ridiculous, but the writer in you is like I get to play with Jesus as an escape artist. On the other side of that you have Darkseid, who’s the horrible evil that walks. There are religious themes in this, but it’s all inspired by Kirby. He was drawing on Old Testament and the New Testament to make a kids adventure. That’s why it worked—he’s telling old stories in new ways. So now we’re going to try the old Jack Kirby stories in new ways. We’re going to go as deep as we can.
>>
>>92311174
Yes the award winning writer who wrote the GOAT Vision story and GOAT Omega Men.

Batfags can stick to MARTHA IM DYING FOR YOU MARTHAAAAAA
>>
File: MMIR_01_9.png (4MB, 1200x1846px) Image search: [Google]
MMIR_01_9.png
4MB, 1200x1846px
>Paste: In the first issue, Darkseid is only hinted at through these ominous, rhythmic black boxes with the sole text “Darkseid is” in varying fonts. How are you approaching the character both from a thematic and craft perspective?

>King: “Darkseid is” is taken from Grant Morrison’s JLA run in the early ‘90s. He captured what Kirby had captured, which is that Darkseid isn’t just a big guy who wants to take over the world. He’s not Mongul. He’s not even Thanos, a guy obsessed with death. He’s the evil inside of us. He’s the darkness. He’s the thing inside of us that calls us to do the wrong thing or be warped the wrong way. That’s inescapable: Darkseid exists. That’s there.

>Gerads: He’s the only comic book villain that I’m legitimately afraid of. When I was a kid, Darkseid scared the heck out of me. I don’t think it ever went away. My mom brought home a Burger King happy meal, and it had this little cup holder. Different DC characters have their arms outstretched, with cups that go in front. My mom brought home Darkseid and I just started crying. I wanted no part of it.

>King: I want to credit a webcomic artist named Julian Lytle. He’s an old friend of mine, and we met at a con. I was telling him about Mister Miracle, and he said: “Darkseid is.” And I said, “What do you mean Darkseid is?” He’s that thing that you can’t deny is there, that’s pushing you toward darkness. And he kept saying “Darkseid is” over and over again, and as I was talking to him, I saw the black panels. It’s always there in the background. It comes from that conversation with Julian.
>>
>Paste: Looking at the entire concept of escape, what do you both try to escape in your own lives that’s going to trickle into the themes here?

>King: I try to escape two things at once, and I think that’s the problem. If you’re a writer, you’re constantly doubting yourself. You’re constantly saying this isn’t right, this is shit, this is terrible. But then on the other side, overconfidence will kill any writing you do: you stop doubting yourself, you’re fucked. You escape this trap of doubt to this trap of confidence, you escape the trap of confidence to the trap of doubt. You’re stuck in a catch 22 of screaming anxiety. And that’s when you write, “Page One, Panel One.”
>>
>>92311223

Jesus Christ Barda is amazing.
>>
>>92311239
>Gerads: I think Scott Free, in this book, really embodies what a lot of us, if not the vast majority of us, are feeling right now: being surrounded by a world that doesn’t make as much sense as it used to. I really sympathize with Scott, and as the book goes on you sympathize with him more. There’s so much in the book of just him giving weird looks to people. In a way, it’s Jim from The Office giving looks to people half the time. He’s just trying to process the absurd. I think that’s something I try to escape. It’s hard to do this interview and not get super political. There’s so much in this world right now that isn’t lining up. You assumed there were safeguards in place to make sure things always do line up. It’s escaping that kind of world and trying to find the real world again. Hopefully that real world is still a thing that exists.

>King: I wanted to write about the Trump era, but I didn’t want to write, “Fascism sucks” or “Trump sucks.” That doesn’t get you anywhere. You’re taking your Twitter feed and putting it in panels. What I wanted to do is capture the emotion of the period, and the anxiety, the way Alan Moore captured the anxiety of the ‘80s or Kirby captured the anxiety of the ‘70s or even Lee captured the optimism of the ‘60s; to capture the feeling, more than the politics. That’s what interests me. That’s how you make something that’s just not a polemic. After page four, the whole thing goes into a 9-panel grid, and it’s to give you a sense of that claustrophobia. To give you a sense of what it is to be trapped, not only in the themes and the words, but in the actual panel structure. He’s trapped behind those bars we had in Omega Men, and how does he break out?
>>
there's no way I'm not buying this
>>
>>92311177
>King using Priest-style scene-title boxes
Niiiice
>>
>>92311177
>>92311189
>>92311223
>No more new52 designs
Thank you based king.
>>
>>92311304
I don't think they're being used as titles exactly since it's on every page. More of an underlying thought.
>>
YES

This looks amazing.
>>
>>92311177
>>92311189
>>92311223
Christ, Orion. Let the man watch TV on the couch in peace.
>>
>>92311223
Barda is lacking thiccness.

C'mon Gerads!
>>
I was worried, but honestly Gerad's artstyle really does capture the lowkey urban domesticity that Scott desires and then you have enthusiastically red Orion there....it's fantastic.
>>
>>92311574
she looks thicc to me, curvy trunk but not fat
>>
>>92311574
You people are the worst.
>>
File: Boku.jpg (8KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Boku.jpg
8KB, 480x360px
Yesterday an anon was working on uploading the New Gods- Are you there Anonymouse?
>>
>>92311223
>He’s the thing inside of us that calls us to do the wrong thing or be warped the wrong way
TIGER FORCE NIGGAS
>>
>>92311607
I'm one of the three Barda fanboys in the world.

I know I'm the worst.
>>
This sounds lovely

Praise Omega
>>
>>92311223
>I want to credit a webcomic artist named Julian Lytle. He’s an old friend of mine, and we met at a con. I was telling him about Mister Miracle, and he said: “Darkseid is.” And I said, “What do you mean Darkseid is?” He’s that thing that you can’t deny is there, that’s pushing you toward darkness. And he kept saying “Darkseid is” over and over again, and as I was talking to him, I saw the black panels. It’s always there in the background. It comes from that conversation with Julian.
This guy sounds a little cray cray, to be honest.
>>
God fucking dammit keep this overrated hack away from Kirby's legacy.
>>
>>92311177
>A character is wearing underpants
>>
>>92311223
dat poster
>>
Will they have sex on the roof too?
>>
Can't wait to have Mister Miracle dragged through the pretentious political lens of the nine panel grid Emperor who didn't even realize that the character is a Christ allegory.
>>
>>92311177
>>92311189
>>92311223
What the fuck is this? Artist is just fucking terrible. DC want this to be flop for some reason?
>>
>>92311020
>Gerards
Fuck you DC
Fuck you Mitch
Fuck you Johns
Fuck you Tom
>>
>>92311800
Isn't Orion Christ?
>>
>>92311020
Anons, tell me true - is it likely that I have to read a ton of old Big Barda stories to get this miniseries?
>>
I was expecting a complete Fourth World title.
>>
>>92311177
I hate repeated panels. At least just erase his mouth and redraw it to show some movement, you hack!
>>
>>92311817
The art looks great, get new eyes
>>
>>92311826
You could maybe argue that but he's not the character that repeatedly gets chained up to torture devices and cheats certain death by performing miracles.
>>
I hope Forager cameos and that Kamandi Challenge ends up tying in even if its just a cameo. It'd be neat if all the Kirby projects were lightly tied together.

Hopefully this leads to more 4th World in the future, but they have to be careful who handles it

>>92311826
>Son of God who is sent down to a land of sin and leads an uprising while performing life saving miracles that seem impossible
The Christ analogue works better for Scott but I'm pretty certain they've both been interpreted as Christ before
>>
>>92311863
>Orion helm looks like photoshopped piece of paper
>skin color is the same as walls
>Barda looks like fat redneck woman
>great
>>
>>92311855
Thank Highfather King can't ruin everything Fourth World related.
>>
>>92311265
>I wanted to write about the Trump era
Dropped. More hackery from King.
>but I didn’t want to write, “Fascism sucks” or “Trump sucks.” That doesn’t get you anywhere. You’re taking your Twitter feed and putting it in panels.
But I do appreciate his burning Marvel's writers like this.
>>
I'm excited for the wave of anons who think no one should ever touch 4th World and it should be forgotten and lost time unless that person is the resurrected corpse of Jack Kirby. They're almost as bad as the anons who think no one should use Morrisons Bat-Characters because they'll ruin their perfect memories of them.

Oh wait they're already here
>>92311901
>>
>>92311892
King is writing a Kamandi issue iirc so I guess he could
>>
>>92311926
Darkseid was all about Kirby's thoughts about Nixon and shit. After the Comey firing, there's been a lot of comparisons to Nixon.

It's perfectly apt to go that route.
>>
>>92311933
What about those anons like me who think that Morrison's take is super overrated but more lowkey stuff like this and Didio/Giffens are excitng?
>>
>>92311933
I hope you don't choke on the Trump allegory from the author of the worst Batman run in modern times (which is saying something).
>>
>>92311926
I'm not super happy about this. I really like Tom King, but I wish he had more of a sense that people look at the world differently. I appreciate that he's not trying to preach directly, but the idea that everyone looks at what's happening and is terrified for the same reasons he's terrified is incredibly wrong.
>>
>>92311965
Depends, did you also like Darkseid stealing Saturn Girl and Lightning Lad's baby from the womb?
>>
>>92311965
You mean shills?
>>
>>92311991
Not a fan of LOSH to begin with. I read New Gods shit where they are the focus characters.
>>
>>92311177
Is Orion ever going to get a redesign? He's had the same costume for 40 years.

I mean, it is a good look, but geez.
>>
>>92312005
Alas, it was a neat trick.

But not hating it is good I guess.
>>
>>92311988
I remember when you said the same thing about Snyder.
Yes you. In particular you.

Also I don't give a shit about Kings Batman run, I care more about his niche books which are good. And would you look at that, this is another niche book
>>
>>92311951
For some reason most of /co/ doesn't understand the context things were originally published in. Everything is the past now and that's the only way they understand it. No one gets triggered because it's not personal.
>>
>>92311999
>Batman is the "FIFTH" World incarnation of Orion and so it makes perfect sense that he shoots him with a gun and thus fulfilling this prophecy and...

Morrison wrote a nice mind control story but as a Fourth World story it was complete shit.
>>
>>92312006
Well there is his Gods and Monsters appearance.
>>
File: DELETE.jpg (182KB, 500x649px) Image search: [Google]
DELETE.jpg
182KB, 500x649px
>>92311153
>Derrington drawing Mister Miracle

My dick.
>>
>>92312033
Hilariously (unless you can track my IP to this area, then extrapolate to the other IP I used when I posted about Snyder, using an entirely different commenting form on a different website) you are correct completely by accident.
>>
>>92311694
Darkseid Is.
>>
File: MRM18.jpg (207KB, 650x622px) Image search: [Google]
MRM18.jpg
207KB, 650x622px
>>92311951
Nixonseid could be a chill guy, Kirby wasn't non-stop "F-fuck Nixon"
>>
>>92312006
he had a New 52 redesign. It was pretty aight,
>>
>>92311304
He already did in Sheriff casual.
>>
>>92312128
Everyone else's became pretty shit though.
>>
>>92311988
How many writers try to take all possible viewpoints into account when they're trying to capture current zeitgeist? That's a weird expectation
>>
>>92311153
>>92312076
If he was on art that'd be fucking great
>>
>>92311817
(You) should get some taste anon.
>>
>>92312128
It was awful biker fetish shit.
>>
Gonna be declined after 5-7 issues. Screencap this. Terrible art and King is too autistic last days.
>>
>>92312100
I'm glad you can tell an entire mini is going to be full FUCK TRUMP from a three page preview and an interview where he says he's attempting to not do that
>>
>>92312149
There's a difference between trying to capture current zeitgeist and repeating the left's hysteria.

>>92312173
I didn't say that - I said I'm disappointed that he's writing off people who don't share his fears.
>>
>>92312100
If he didn't mention it at all would you have noticed? The preview is exactly how he's going to do it the entire run:

>What I wanted to do is capture the emotion of the period, and the anxiety, the way Alan Moore captured the anxiety of the ‘80s or Kirby captured the anxiety of the ‘70s or even Lee captured the optimism of the ‘60s; to capture the feeling, more than the politics. That’s what interests me. That’s how you make something that’s just not a polemic. After page four, the whole thing goes into a 9-panel grid, and it’s to give you a sense of that claustrophobia. To give you a sense of what it is to be trapped, not only in the themes and the words, but in the actual panel structure.

So what are you even talking about?
>>
>>92312037
What is Rock of Ages and the entirety of his JLA run then?
>>
>>92312204
Boring.
>>
File: DELETE.jpg (176KB, 1000x1472px) Image search: [Google]
DELETE.jpg
176KB, 1000x1472px
>>92311189
>Mister Miracle is Jesus.

Are there any other parallels other than the Last Temptaion?

>They both received their title (prophet, escape artist), from a previous one, (John the Baptist, Thaddeus Brown)
>All that crucifixtion imagery.
>>
>>92312087
If you repeat the same stupid faggoty shit almost by verbatim, it's hardly an accident.
>>
>>92312203
His last superhero political allegory amounted to "War is bad," so the fact that he's bringing up politics at all is a terrible sign. It's also a joke that he's still jerking himself off like he invented the nine grid panel structure.
>>
>>92312228
Funny. Bonus points if you can name where I said it about Snyder.
>>
>>92311265
thanks to Marvel this comment has me worried
>>
>>92312203
I didn't like the preview either.
>Orion keeps knocking down Scott and telling him to get up
>Barda accurately points out that this is a dumb waste of time
Three pages wasted on this.
>>
>>92312159
That nigga can't keep on schedule for Doom Patrol, fuck that.
>>
>>92311694
Darkseid Is
>>
>>92311951
>>92312034

Yes because the first thing people think of when discussing the utterly groundbreaking mythology of the Fourth World that is basically a bible for imaginative visual storytelling is Richard Nixon.
>>
>>92312239
All of his superhero stories have been about war being bad. I have no idea what you're trying to say at this point. He says the pages here are actually what it's going to be about and you can literally read them and see that it's not like anything you're worried about.

>>92312269
No one is saying you have to like it, but it doesn't suggest that the run is going to suddenly be about overt politics when he flat out says that's not the case and also shows you that it's not.
>>
>>92312239
>His last superhero political allegory amounted to "War is bad,"
Kek, read again maybe.
>>
File: The Omega Men (2015-) 012-020.jpg (1MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
The Omega Men (2015-) 012-020.jpg
1MB, 1988x3056px
>>92312239
Sure was great how the final pages of Omega Men abandoned subtlety altogether.
>>
>>92312211
So we can safely discard your opinion then.
>>
>>92311189
But Kirby was a Jew, he wouldn't have any real reverence for Jesus.
>>
>>92312260
Just keep reading, it's not any of the in your face fuck trump stuff he's aiming for
>>
>>92312239
Wait IS bad, you mongoloid. But there was more to that ending which I guess went over your head.
>>
>>92312311
>All of his superhero stories have been about war being bad.
Not Vision, it had nothing to do with War. And his Batman and other stuff aren't about that either.
>>
>>92312309
Not the first thing, but it shouldn't be something you miss either and then complain about when someone else plays off the similar idea.
>>
>>92312272
Way said he's the one dropping behind on scripts.
>>
>>92312311
I'm worried about his shitty repetitive "look at my panel structure" vapid political allegories being brought to the Fourth World. But you're right, based on those three pages I have nothing to worry about.
>>
>>92312332
But they acknowledge that he existed. There's a lot of Old Testament in the Fourth World, but remember it does concern itself a lot with the future of these dynasties, so a little New Testament was bound to sneak in there.
>>
>>92311209
This is actually a great fucking point. His Batrun may be more miss than hit (Kite-Man, Hell Yeah!) but King really does have a solid track record when it comes to writing non-A-List characters.
>>
>>92311020
>https://twitter.com/KurtBusiek/status/863037039498764288

hype
>>
Just read an advanced pdf of it, great first issue. If the pace is anything to go by this will be a slow burn. Also Gerads is styling on Sienkiewicz big time, definitely the best work he's put out of his career. It's loosened up from his SOB art and incorporates a lot more tactile elements and abstraction

Still early days but could top Vision. Lot of promise
>>
>>92311209
>>92312391
King fans think they're smart but really are just memers.
>>
>>92312316
It was never subtle, shit started with a video broadcast of terrorists slitting the throat of an innocent who was just there to preach peace. It wasn't trying to be subtle, if you thought that's what the intention was, your are the retard with a severe lack of reading comprehension.
>>
>>92311982
King's Batman is not even the worst Batman being published currently.
>>
File: jla_14_008.jpg (824KB, 1280x1981px) Image search: [Google]
jla_14_008.jpg
824KB, 1280x1981px
>>92312211
Rock of Ages Darkseid was fun.
>>
File: 2684093-orion.jpg (229KB, 1576x504px) Image search: [Google]
2684093-orion.jpg
229KB, 1576x504px
>>92311319
New 52 Orion was a great fucking look though dude.
>>
>>92311209
I personally didn't care for Omega Men, but liked his Batman run and Sheriff of Babylon.
>>
I don't think I've ever "liked" anything from Tom K.. His batman is just ok, OM is an incoherent mess and vision is borderline boring. But I guess people like his work, so good for him.
>>
>>92312423
Toping Vision doesn't say much.
>>
>>92312428
>your are the retard with a severe lack of reading comprehension

Yeah everyone praises Omega Men for being such a fun romp in cosmic DC unconcerned with appearing to have depth.
>>
>>92312438
The one on the left yes, the biker fetishist on the right is no Orion.
>>
>>92312353
>Avengers interference making things worse not about about countries interfering in conflicts and making things worse

?
>>
>>92312428
>It was never subtle, shit started with a video broadcast of terrorists slitting the throat of an innocent who was just there to preach peace.
That's allegory, which isn't quite full "the US military's gonna invade these people to get their fantasy-oiiiiiiiiiil"
>>
>>92312422
Does I'd stand for I had or I would in this?
>>
>>92311223
M-mommy.
If Barda told you to drop your trousers and bend over a table, would you do it, /co/?
>>
>>92312438
Why did everyone in the New 52 look like such a fucking Cad?
>>
>>92312426
Only UUUU baby.
>>
>>92312491
Ask the same people who are still in charge of DC.
>>
>>92312491
>cad
Chad.
Whatever.
>>
>>92312474
He read it: https://twitter.com/KurtBusiek/status/861705837353476096
>>
>>92312448
Vision is literally the best Marlel comic of the last 10 years. Stop memeing friend.
>>
Who would Tom King write better? Mister Miracle or Orion?
>>
>>92312533
Fury My War Gone By shits all over your stupid "but robots have feelings tooooo" shit.
>>
>>92311800
>Christ

Fuck you Snyder. He's the everyman escaping a horrible past to a brighter tomorrow. He's Kirby escaping the slums.
>>
>>92312471
Ever read Merchant of Venice? Ever read any modern interpretation by literary critics and tried to think what it was about? Ever thought why King referenced it in Vision? Do I really need to spoon-feed you anon?
>>
>>92312561
I don't know, but I'd want Orion if I had to choose because I have a greater chance of seeing my husbando (Lightray).
>>
>>92312561
I'd figure Orion.
Kirby had no issues writing the angst and trauma that Orion faces being the Dog of War...I think King could fare well in those lines.
>>
>>92312465
> fun romp
> Omega Men
wut, literally no one describes Omega Men as a "fun romp"
>>
>>92312533

Not him but it's as wildly overrated as everything else King writes. A boilerplate tragedy propped up to ridiculous heights.
>>
>>92312465
>Yeah everyone praises Omega Men for being such a fun romp in cosmic DC unconcerned with appearing to have depth.
Don't know if you are being ironic, can't really tell in the threads that devolve into "King has always been shit."
>>
>>92311574
Look at panels 3-5 she's thick as a tree.
>>
File: Vision (2015-) 012-021.jpg (2MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
Vision (2015-) 012-021.jpg
2MB, 1988x3056px
>>92312533
>it's an "An Avenger goes insane and causes a lot of destruction but they all just shrug their shoulders and let bygones be bygones by the end" episode
>>
>>92312514
>>92312491
I mean Orion has always been pretty Chad like when not in monster moee
>>
>>92312607
All it takes is one bad story (Batman) for people to notice the flaws that were there all along.
>>
>>92312239
>"war is bad"

It was about propaganda, genius. The entire book goes on and on about how necessary war is, and you think the message is "don't fight kids"?
>>
>>92312260
>but I didn’t want to write, “Fascism sucks” or “Trump sucks.”
Sure sounds like he isn't attempting to do so the way Marvel does though.
>>
Best King:
>one-shots (Futures End, Darkseid War)

Good King:
>Sheriff
>Omega Men
>Vision
>Grayson

Bad King:
>Robin War
>Batman
>>
>>92311817
I don't like Gerards either, but this looks marginally better than order stuff of his.
>>
>>92312571
>pennis
>good
Thanks for informing me how great your tastes are, I can safely disregard all your opinions. Really saved a lot of time. Also you didn't understand shit about that book.
>>92312605
It's a proper Shakespearean tragedy, not something like people pretending there stuff is like Shakespearean tragedy, an actual inspired work. Also what you are describingis Memender.
>>
>>92312647
If war is so necessary then why do you need propaganda genius?
>>
>>92312668
Did he write more than just the Grayson Future's End? And I would include Grayson #12 in "Best King." C'mon. "You're alive?" "You're alive?"

Is Robin War really King's fault, though? I mean, the whole "Parliment of Owls" thing was...more than a bit dumb, but a lot of the idiocy happened in the non-King issues, and his three issues (the Alpha and Omega books, plus the Grayson issue) were pretty solid.

Of course, I'm also not a King Batman hater, and like the repetition in general. So... :)
>>
>>92312472
it legitimately baffles me that's what you got out of the last page, considering the US's role is pretty irrelevant. There's a reason that Kyle ignores him and starts ranting about the themes of the book to close it out
>>
>>92312636
Yes and those flaws were? This is where /co/ never delivers. Also Batman thematically and structurally is not similar to his best intentions trilogy.
>>
>>92312700
Grayson was a two man writing team.
>>
>>92312698
You need propaganda so that people can continue to fight wars despite the inevitable collapse of their good intentions. People still need to fight.
>>
>>92312740
um...I know? I'm talking specifically about the Grayson issues that have the credit "Script: Tom King."
>>
>>92312727
How about turning Batman into a suicidal cutter for starters?
>>
>Vision and Omega Men are about "war is bad"
Great reading comprehension /co/, don't even know why I come into these threads where faux intellectuals pretend to know what they are talking about.
>>
>>92312750
Truly enlightened thinking. Thank God King is here to show us the way.
>>
>>92312239
It was more about showing how revolutions died considering how once they won they became just as bad if not worse than those that were ruling before.
>>
>>92312786
>How about turning Batman into a suicidal cutter for starters?

you mean an angry young boy that just lost his parents? grown man bruce didn't do that shit
>>
>>92312790
With your expert reading comprehension please point out where anyone said the point of Vision was "war is bad".
>>
>>92312786
He turned 12 year old Bruce Wayne into that, not Batman.
Can you tell me what's wrong with a young child who has lost his parents and fallen into a state of depression doing that?
>>
>>92312472
>"the US military's gonna invade these people to get their fantasy-oiiiiiiiiiil"
I didn't get that at all, it was about the needs of the many vs the few and making the whole comic grey as both sides have valid points and that all his efforts were fruitless as the world is savage.
>>
>>92312786
No, talk to me about the flaws that were always there. Also I'm not a characterfag so I don't particularly hate that, on the flip side I applaud King for actually trying something with the character that's introspective.
>>
>>92312822
No I mean the character of Batman. The superhero. Being a suicidal cutter.
>>
>>92312700
Grayson #12 is meme levels. His first issues on Grayson were much better. Let me guess, Vision is your favorite work of his.
>>
>>92312810
So war is bad then.
>>
>>92312831
There >>92312471, anon is trying to make a similar point.
>>
>>92312861
No, it's Grayson #12, so far. I liked Vision, but it felt a bit too nihilistic for me.
>>
>>92312700
>Did he write more than just the Grayson Future's End?

To clarify I was thinking specifically of the Grayson FE issue and the Hal DW issue there on that first one. I don't know if he did any others from FE.

I didn't really love Grayson #12 outside of the Damian scene. Biggest problem of course is that I don't really get what they were trying to do with Kathy and the setup started there. I know Rebirth coming wasn't their fault, but it seemed poorly planned. Maybe putting the sins of the run overall into one issue isn't fair though.

But Robin War I do blame on him. It was his responsibility and his issues being ok doesn't make the whole thing good. Kind of hit and miss like his Batman which makes me think that he is just not as good at the more normie material.
>>
>>92312869
I get the feeling it was about the more things change the more they stay the same.
>>
>>92312852
Yes what's wrong with it?
>>
>>92312843
That is directly indicative of the flaws that were always there, adding a pretentious nihilistic backstory that only serves to demonstrate King's ignorance. But if you want something more readily apparent how about the disgusting repetition?
>>
>>92312881
I mean...the whole Kathy/Luka Netz thing is ridiculous. But I almost never really care about the villains. The Batfamily scenes and the structure were what I was looking at, and I think they're masterfully constructed.
>>
>>92312852
but he wasn't a superhero. He was a traumatized young man.

Also, how many incarnations of batman have suicidal tendencies? A shitload of them. How many times have people told bruce to stop being batman or else it will kill him?
>>
>>92312891
you know his answer is just "not muh"
>>
>>92312896
>adding a pretentious nihilistic backstory

what exactly do you mean by this? Batman as a means of trauma coping and self destructive tendencies has been around since the origin of the character.

Having a traumatized young bruce with self destructive trauma coping tendencies works fine. Why doesn't it?
>>
>>92312727
He started pointing out stuff by writing it down on paper. His repeated dialogue lost it's edge once he overdid it do many times. Injecting artificial drama. He listened to what people liked in his previous stuff and then focused on using those things more and more.

He's a good writer, but he's a bit spineless and too much of a crowd pleaser.
>>
>>92312869
No, there's an active case for war being necessary being made in that book. Citadel is fighting because without the metal (whatever that was called) the world's would die, revolutionaries are fighting because they're being oppressed because of third party consumerism. Even the idealist that never believed in such ways succumbed to that. It showed consequences of things, it never demonized the causes.
>>
File: 1484726314740.jpg (1MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
1484726314740.jpg
1MB, 1988x3056px
>>92311174
So?
>>
>>92312822
>>92312891
>>92312907
>>92312917

You guys are right, I think all superheroes should be cutters at one point in their lives. After all, life is hard, and kids need realistic role models to demonstrate that sometimes self harm is ok.
>>
>>92312896
>pretentious nihilistic backstory
You don't know the meaning of these words anon, they are too grand for your understanding. Also his repetition is hit or miss, I'll give you that.
>>
>>92312968
We're talking about Batman not every hero, stay on topic.

Why is it bad?
>>
>>92312943
>bit spineless and too much of a crowd pleaser.
But for batman, the highest selling comic being released, you have to appeal to the masses and be a crowd pleaser where you also have to balance a huge roster of characters and tie into the dc multiverse. Mister Miracle should be more experimental as its a niche title staring a B-grade hero and characters so it should be better and more focused.
>>
>>92312968
>I think all superheroes should be cutters at one point in their lives.

nobody's saying hawkeye should cut himself, retard. Batman is frequently portrayed as unstable and coping with trauma.

Kids shouldn't put on a bat costume to deal with their emotional issues either but batman still does it because he's got issues
>>
>>92312968
Well, of course not all if them should be. Characters should be different from one another. Is that a novel concept for you?
>>
File: Mister Miracle vs Black Racer.jpg (1MB, 1920x2950px) Image search: [Google]
Mister Miracle vs Black Racer.jpg
1MB, 1920x2950px
>>92311020
>Escape the Absurdity

King, you piece of shit. That's all we've got left!

>>92311189
>boiling it down to more Game of Thrones
>more tactile and real
>talking with creators like Mark Waid

Oh god, no.

>>92311265

About what? How he likes to have two scoops of ice cream instead of one?
>>
>>92312968
And there goes that lack of reading comprehension and strawmanning again. We're talking about Batman, not The Flash or Superman
>>
>>92313007
>you have to
You don't HAVE to do anything. Your choices are your own.
>>
>>92312332
He still would have had reverence for the Jewish Messiah (whether that would be Jesus or not would be irrelevant).
>>
>>92312941
A young traumatized child channels his thoughts of revenge into a greater good that helps people.

A young traumatized child channels his cutting into a narcissistic theatrical form of suicide.

See the difference?
>>
>>92312943
>He started pointing out stuff by writing it down on paper.
Don't know what you mean by that.
>His repeated dialogue lost it's edge once he overdid it do many times.
Yeah but they're only truly bad in Batman and even there they work sometimes.
>Injecting artificial drama.
Meme criticism.
>He listened to what people liked in his previous stuff and then focused on using those things more and more.
Don't know what you mean by that.
>>
>>92312968
Or you can look at it positively, as it displays how someone can go through one of the most traumatic events of there life and becoming a cutter but then can rise above it and be reborn as a person who has dedicated their life to helping others. Really its inspirational to people, as it displays you can move on passed stuff and become better.
>>
>>92313021
Again, why can't people keep reading. He clearly is talking about the reaction to Trump and the emotional state of the general populacr, not Trump himself
>>
>>92312968
>demonstrate that sometimes self harm is ok.
It never glamorized the self harm. Are you sure you read the same book as everyone anon?
>>
>>92313041
>A young traumatized child channels his thoughts of revenge into a greater good that helps people.

He does that as an adult, though. he spends years as a very troubled young man before he finds a positive way to use his inner pain.
>>
>>92313056
That one is just shitposting. Taking the most inflammatory phrases from the interview to pretend like he has a point. Don't bother.
>>
>>92313041
Why can't you do one before becoming the other. Or are you a very static person who hasn't changed at all in the the last 6-8 years, espacially when going from a child to an adult
>>
>>92311223
I love Big Barda
>>
>>92313021
>About what? How he likes to have two scoops of ice cream instead of one?
He wants to capture the feel of this era like how Moore and Miller did in their 80s work, he doesn't want to strawman the politics.
>>
>>92313042
What a meme reply.
>>
>>92313056
>He clearly is talking about the reaction to Trump and the emotional state of the general populacr

So are the Forever People going to start beating up the elderly and middle schoolers for wearing red hats?
>>
>>92313036
>Your choices are your own.
And they are also the editorials choices and the companies choices, like I said batman needs to appeal to a lot of people to sell, playing it safe for the first couple of arcs seem reasonable until the writer gets his footing and then can start going more experimental. Anyway he looks like he is going more experimental with batman with batman cross swamp thing and the next arc is a flashback so it wont have to tie into any current day dc stuff.
>>
>>92313115
To a meme post. Great discussion we have here.
>>
>>92313078
Said and Game of Thrones are infuriating points in the interview but the comic looks and sounds good apart from that.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (288KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
288KB, 1920x1080px
>>92313031
>>92313003

Yeah everyone knows there are little scar marks underneath the plastic costume.
>>
>>92313137
You mean like all those battle scars Batman has?
>>
File: splash-omac-4.jpg~original.jpg (174KB, 800x564px) Image search: [Google]
splash-omac-4.jpg~original.jpg
174KB, 800x564px
>>92311265
>or Kirby captured the anxiety of the ‘70s
>know Brother Eye from more modern stuff where he's an utter cunt because of technological progress paranoia
>read the original OMAC
>he put the BRO in Brother Eye

Kirby, that old hardboiled softie.
>>
File: 4904192-0940853837-27848.jpg.png (599KB, 765x470px) Image search: [Google]
4904192-0940853837-27848.jpg.png
599KB, 765x470px
>>92311177
>>92311189
>>92311223

am I in the minority for preferring Orion's nu52 design?
>>
>>92313137
Lego Cinematic Universe Batman would definitely cut himself. Have you listened to the shitty music he writes and seen how empty his life was before the conclusion of the Lego Batman movie?

Lego Video Game Universe Batman and Lego DTV Batman are a big more chill though.
>>
>>92313123
He incorporated some experimental storytelling techniques even early on, that's not the problem with his Batman.
>>
>>92313078
>liking Champions

Good god, man. What's wrong with you?
>>
>>92313052
>>92313059
>>92313083
Why does he need to have been a cutter to become Batman? Why does Batman have to be a form of suicide, instead of, y'know, a form of heroism?
>>
>>92313188
No one but you mentioned Champions.
>>
>>92313169
I sure hope so.
>>
File: 130531855552.jpg (210KB, 500x509px) Image search: [Google]
130531855552.jpg
210KB, 500x509px
>>92311189
>One of the fun things for me is taking all of these Kirby designs and taking the crazy world of New Genesis and the crazy world of Apokolips and boiling it down to more Game of Thrones.

Platinum
Fucking
Mad
>>
File: mr miracle seven soldiers.jpg (70KB, 368x571px) Image search: [Google]
mr miracle seven soldiers.jpg
70KB, 368x571px
>>92311020
>I don’t mean this in a political way, but the world as it is today—what’s happening every single day—doesn’t seem to make any sense. And that can be as simple as the Super Bowl didn’t make sense. Or it can be as crazy as people are breaking laws in our country that shouldn’t ever be broken

this is a good premise
even if you look beyond 'Trump is a racist and fascist!', there is so much weird shit going on nowadays
like Pepe the fucking frog constantly appearing on news networks
>>
The problem with King's Batman is that he's a Dickfag who does not give a single fuck about Bruce but has still been hired to write the book.

>>92313169
He always looks good to me. I don't really care I guess?
>>
>>92313169
I liked it when Chiang drew it, didn't like it in GL crossover.
>>
>>92311189
>Game of Thrones

So he's going to make the New Gods dour, plodding, and inane? Christ.
>>
>>92313196
>Why does Batman have to be a form of suicide, instead of, y'know, a form of heroism?
They're not exclusive here.
>>
>>92311933

What is, Seven Soldiers of Victory?
>>
>>92313221
>Or it can be as crazy as people are breaking laws in our country that shouldn’t ever be broken
You mean like having an illegal private server and getting away with it?
>>
>>92313251
Not an answer.
>>
>>92313208
>>92313250
It's just shorthand for drama between ruling people, which is literally built into the material already.
>>
>>92313196
ask frank miller
or azarello

batman as self destructive is a very old and honestly tired take on batman
>>
>>92313196
It can be both, quite easily.
He doesn't need to be a cutter, it's just something that adds to young Bruce and what he went through.
>>
>>92313272
The answer is that he can be both, but you seem to disagree and have done nothing to argue your viewpoint besides repeating that it can only be one or the other.
>>
>>92313296
>>92313272
Man this anon repeats himself more than even King
>>
>>92313221
>>92313263
Or how feminists are getting mad that the Wonder Woman movie is doing some promotional stuff with ThinkThin health snacks solely because the products have 'Thin' in their titles:

https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/wonder-woman-fans-angry-thinkthin-movie-promotion-deal-164218819.html
>>
File: weird kirby shit 57.jpg (724KB, 1757x1774px) Image search: [Google]
weird kirby shit 57.jpg
724KB, 1757x1774px
>>92311020
on a side note: has there ever been a Mister Miracle story where he broke the fourth wall?
as the ultimate escape artist, wouldn't realizing that he is a comic book character behind nine-grid bars, and getting free from them be the ultimate escape?
I would totally read such a story
>>
>>92311020
Is there going to be any other Kirby character projects coming soon? I've been reading Kamandi Challenge and I'm looking forward to this too.
>>
>>92312949

The consequences being an eternal slog of senseless violence and loss of innocent life in the pursuit of shifting ideals. God forbid that gets demonized.
>>
this looks fantastic
>>
>>92313321
lmao
>>
>>92313196
Being suicidal isn't what made him batman, its still his parents being killed. The suicide was meant to show the lasting effects that his parents being gunned the fuck down in front of him left on a twelve year old minds. It also has the added benefit by showing that Bruce Wayne felt the pain of having his whole life ripped away from him and felt depressed to the point he wanted to kill himself, thus when he is batman he isn't just fighting to protect the innocent he is also fighting so that no one else has to become suicidal due to crimes.
>>
>>92313328
>a comic book character behind nine-grid bars, and getting free from them
Gillen's Young Avengers already fucked this concept.
>>
>>92313328
Isn't there some hints at that in Seven soldiers?
>>
>>92313263
>>92313324
I don't want to be partisan here, can't we all agree that both sides are hypocritical and do stupid shit?
>>
>>92313255
He forgot to add that "o-only Morrison should write 4th world character guise." Even then I know Kirby purists who hate Morrison's take on those characters. To be fair New Gods outside of Kirby have been varying degrees of shit but that doesn't mean they should never try to write about those characters.
>>
>>92313296
I asked why he needs to be a cutter, and why he needs to be suicidal, in order to be Batman. You responded with a non-answer.
>>
File: New Gods Abridged.jpg (209KB, 525x780px) Image search: [Google]
New Gods Abridged.jpg
209KB, 525x780px
>>92313273
But Kirby made it vibrant and fast-paced.

Just look at this preview art? Everyone looks like a Zack Snyder Smurf.
>>
>>92313335
BUG! is another Kirby projet over at Young animals
>>
>>92313283
Yeah, King just made it more literal but a good death was literally the crux of TDKR.
>>
>>92313351
Ewing's Ultimates also had Anti-Man saying they're all in a cage because he can see the bars.
>>92313356
I don't trust Washington DC-living CIA Man to be even-handed.
>>
>>92313364
Just adds a bit more tragedy and pathos. But being self-destructive has long been a part of modern Batman. You haven't explained why you dislike it.
>>
>>92313343
Because nothing about Batman made sense until suicide entered the equation right? A life long pursuit of crime stopping in a Bat-costume just didn't breathe realism until we knew that he had cutting scars underneath the costume?
>>
>>92313413

>>92312896
Try reading for a change.
>>
>>92313335
Maybe Etrigan. It'd be shitty if DC not to give him at least a mini this year would be shitty.
>>
>>92312446
>incoherent mess
I never trust faggots using this term.
>>
>>92313364
Because King is trying to be introspective with Batman and wants to give him a clear character arc.
>b-but it has never been done before
Not an argument for why it shouldn't be done now. Also if you read stuff like TDKR or Venom, you see suicidal Batman take there. It's different but it is there, this is not a new concept.
>>
>>92313358
I don't know how a Kirby purist could hate Morrison's take on the characters.
>>
>>92313442
That's not an explanation. How is it pretentious? How is it nihilistic? You have not explained anything. You just keep saying you don't like it and expect everyone else to just suddenly agree with you.
>>
>>92313443
>a new "The Demon" ongoing by Garth Ennis
One man can dream.
>>
>>92313443
Who should write and draw it?
>>
>>92313492
Ennis with art by Trade moore
>>
>>92313473
>I don't know how a Kirby purist could hate Morrison's take on the characters.

Fifth World Bullshit
>>
>>92313413
not that anon, but I absolutely hate the self-destructive and suicidal Batman
I'm a Morrison fag, so I prefer his take on Batman: obviously he still isn't the sanest person, but he doesn't let self-loathing get in the way of doing the job, he has a sorta swashbuckling, international playboy attitude, he doesn't push away his closest allies, and has a very dry humor
>>
>>92313368
The point of him mentioning the comparison is selling the book on normies who might not already understand the concept.

It's going to be a slower story because King is a slower style of writer. It's fine if you don't like it but don't get triggered over word usage.
>>
>>92313466
>>92313426

Also there's a vast chasm between unwittingly killing yourself through obsessive behavior and putting a razor blade to your wrists.
>>
>>92313487
>recycling writers
The Rebirth waaaaaayyyy
>>
>>92313492
Si Spurrier and Jae Lee
>>
>>92313510
It's funny because I honestly agree with you in my preferred characterization, but I don't mind the specific aspect of the cutting being in there if he's going to be writing the more self-destructive styled Bruce. It doesn't feel ill-fitting to me thematically.
>>
>>92313474
It's an unnecessary detail that flies in the face of everything Batman stands for and everything superheroes stand for in general. Taking one of the most iconic heroes of all time and having him become a suicidal cutter is a completely ignorant decision that reveals both a fundamental misunderstanding of the character and an adolescent idea of compelling storytelling.
>>
>>92313524
>famous comic writers shouldn't write comics REEEEEEEEE
Maybe you prefer "The Demon" by Gabby Rivera?
>>
>>92313559
Batman would never put a razor blades to his wrists. Batman does not commit suicide. Even metaphorically.
>>
When's it coming and is it a mini or an ongoing?
>>
>>92313510
I like how the hero bios of his JLA run explicitly noted that his Bruce Wayne became Batman to keep what happened to him from happening to other people instead of being an unhealthy response to childhood trauma.
>>
>>92313356
Nope.
>>
>>92313336
We're talking about the reality here where idealism is not ideal. In the ideal scenario there would be no need for war, because there should be no cause for it. Then you can read book more as reality sucks and not just war sucks. Also you can interpret it in different ways, you can look at it as an anti war piece but when a fiction that goes into lengths about war being necessary, that fiction can not work as anti war. Maybe anti senseless violence, sure that works.
Whatever King's intentions may have been is not of any value if fiction can be interpreted several different ways and that is how King intended it. It really is a philosophical musing about the subjects too big for an individual mind to fully comprehend and that really is the beauty of these kinds of fiction.
>>
>>92313593
>BATMAN DOES NOT EAT NACHOS
>>
>>92313576
Why did I know you were going to make that suggestion?
>>
>>92313614
I know it's like he's demonstrating heroism or something.
>>
>>92313614
He did both though. Christ no wonder 4chan has so many company wars or thinks a character can only be gsy or dtraight, you don't understand the idea of complex human being with more than a single goal in life
>>
>>92313622
King's Batman would never eat nachos.
>>
>>92313560
I feel like you still aren't explaining it sell when King did not create this take on the character. It seems more like a logical extension of things than a contradiction.
>>
>>92313660
Eats bat burgers so why not
>>
>>92313515
I never argued otherwise, you wanted the reason and I gave it to you. You are free to dislike the content, even the intention but don't pretend it's just senseless and without any reason.
>>
>>92313614
I get there are people who don't like it because it makes him too much like the other heroes and having him "be as crazy as his villains" is the appeal for them, but yeah. It's much more meaningful if he's just trying to do good.
>>
>>92313657
Morrison fought a losing battle against angsty grimdark Batman, the end of Inc vol 2 was an acknowledgement of this.
>>
>>92313609
Announcing it now suggests it'll be in the August solicits. Article says 12 issues though.
>>
File: Superman (2016-) 020-012.jpg (1MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
Superman (2016-) 020-012.jpg
1MB, 1988x3056px
>>92313660
Tomasi's Batman doesn't eat Pie.
>>
>>92313691
Morrison always fights hard about angsty grimdark comics, it got old sometime after Flex Mentallo. He has not said anything meaningful about the topic since.
>>
>>92313662
Leaving aside the fact that the Batman as a form of PTSD (or Batman is insane) is a tired interpretation that doesn't really work, the line between poor interpretation and fundamental misunderstanding of the character is crossed when you depict him cutting himself on the page.
>>
>>92313736
name one writer who doesn't become self-repeating after a while
>>
>>92313736
And look at where we are now. I can't wait for my Batman action figure complete with disposable razor blades.
>>
File: ultra same theme.jpg (133KB, 747x417px) Image search: [Google]
ultra same theme.jpg
133KB, 747x417px
>>92313736
But it's so well-meme'd.
>>
>>92313751
I guess I just don't understand why this is the crossing the line moment to you. It doesn't seem a degree further than anything else to me.

I guess the line to me would be maybe extreme drug abuse. Like heroin.
>>
>>92313680
Because nachos remind him of razor blades and send him into a suicidal spiral.
>>
>>92313723
M O M M Y
O
M
M
Y
>>
>>92313772
Multiversity was a bit different though. Usually he says being a comic fan is great but this was a warning against being too invested to the detriment of the rest of your life.
>>
>>92313793
Because he's a superhero.
>>
>>92313794
deepest lore

>>92313793
>>92313751
>>92313662
>>92313560
why it's not exactly the same thing, Snyder showed that Bruce was trying to undergo shock therapy when he was young because he couldn't process the death of his parents
so the 'cutting' part isn't even that far from what Snyder did
>>
>>92313621
Reality sucks is just as juvenile a message as war sucks.
>>
>>92313765
>>92313772
I never said what he writes is shit but it's not really a revelation that anon like >>92313771 him think. I still enjoy his books but they are very much devoid of meaning. Don't know if Morrison is as self aware as he was during Animal Man/Flex years, he might even agree with me.
>>
>>92313832
And Superheroes are human beings, if not physically then at least emotionally. Why are you so inominated by the idea of superheros experiencing normal, human problems?
Go read about gods if you want that
>>
>>92313858
And Snyder is almost as big of a hack as King is. Also shock treatment is not cutting yourself.
>>
>>92313793
>Like heroin.
Been there, done that.
>>
>>92313873
Superheroes are fictional characters. Much closer to gods than humans.
>>
>>92313880
you could argue that it's a form of suicide, essentially destroying parts of your brain and self with the shock therapy ;)
>>
>>92313871
Which was more devoid of meaning, Multiversity or the New 52?
>>
>>92313866
Postmodern books lost the novelty of saying something new, whole of fiction did. Maybe you should read more books. Now it's about how you say something rather than what you say because what you are saying has already been said before. Also the books only themes aren't what you are boiling down to, there's a lot more going in that book.
>>
>>92313897
Superheroes are stories about normal issues on a super scale. Fuck, that's Morrison's entire school of writing
>>
>>92313880
Shock treatment is obviously worse than cutting yourself, unless you're not cutting with a clean utensil I guess.
>>
>>92313716
Thanks Anon, was it ever explained how Scott and Barda are on earth now? or will it be explained on the book itself since iirc Barda was in apokalips being one of Granny's furys
>>
>>92313960
Yeah it's not like he ever wrote a book called Supergods or anything.
>>
>>92313944
They're not even on same spectrum, why and how are you even comparing them?
>>
>>92313974
Doesn't seem to say. I didn't finish Darkseid War but iirc they were on Earth there at some point. Might have just come back if they left I guess?
>>
>>92313951
Who cares if there's a lot more going in the book if it doesn't matter what you say?
>>
>>92313960
Multiversity is about superheroes struggling to pay the rent, bookended by a superhero literally paying his fucking rent.
>>
>>92313988
You're throwing around terms like devoid of meaning without really thinking it through.
>>
>>92313960
He made a little reference to it in multiversity with Ultra criticizing what the readers wanted of him, but it was like just one page, then it moved on.
>>
>>92311632
>>92311632
I am here friend. What up mah Kirbys.

https://mega.nz/#F!IhlwwYxI!aNklSujqa26tBM2_cryojw

More Mister Miracle incoming.
>>
>>92314024
I remember Barda striking a deal with Granny to help the league but in exchange she has to go back to Apokalips.
>>
File: regular doomfag.png (9KB, 661x102px) Image search: [Google]
regular doomfag.png
9KB, 661x102px
I hate Doomfags, they are always so normies.
>>
>>92314028
>if it doesn't matter what you say?
And why is that so? Is there some hierarchy about what matters and what doesn't that I'm not aware of?
>>
>>92314086
Then I guess it needs to be explained, unless they're ignoring DW (plausible).
>>
>>92314123
Maybe story trumps continuity.
>>
>>92312183
The left's hysteria, justified or not, is the zeitgeist. Just because you disagree with it doesn't mean a large amount of people, particularly in the circles King runs in, don't feel that way.

Besides, Moore's stuff about Thatcher anxiety was good, right? And it's not like everyone was scared of her.
>>
>>92314089
Imagine a life where you go on Reddit and take a screenshot and complain about it on some other forums, say 4chan for example. I really don't know what that kind of life would be like.
>>
>>92314131
Based Didio at it once again
>>
>>92314112
What? You just said nothing matters because everything has been said already. A juvenile concept on par with "reality sucks".
>>
>>92314089
Is kinda funny considering Vision is based in Martian Manhunter and both him and Scott predate Vision. Too bad i don't use reddit, i don't mind spoonfeeding this kind of stuff to new people, sarcasm free.
>>
>>92314140
It is A zeitgeist. It's not anywhere close to the whole society.

And no, I don't think Moore's fearmongering about Thatcher and Reagan were at all universally good.
>>
>>92314207
Fine, it's A zeitgeist, I'll concede that. And that's the one King has chosen to capture. Embodying two the currently conflicting streams of zeitgeist at the same time... could be interesting, I suppose, but it's not really what he's going for.
>>
>>92311020
FUCK YEAH
>>
>>92314173
>if you don't say something new, it's juvenile
That's your approach bud, I didn't say that. Read again what I said.
>>
>>92313368
Then go fucking read Kirby's stuff, Christ
>>
>>92314259
Maybe try reading what I actually wrote first before rewording it into something completely nonsensical.
>>
>>92314329
You're saying that I said that it's meaningless because everything has already been said before but just because it has already been done before doesn't make it meaningless.
Shakespeare was already preaching the stuff that had been extensively covered 2000 years ago but he had a new approach to it and that's why what he wrote mattered.
>>
>>92311223
>Size difference
oh yes
>>
I actually really liked the Manapul's design of Scott and Barda in DW. I really wish he was drawing it.
I honestly don't understand why bigger artists don't want to do stuff like this, sure it's not going to sell well but you are definitely going to get better response from fandoms and critics. Doing popular capeshit shouldn't just be everything.
>>
File: ww_1_boom_ff.jpg (26KB, 433x178px) Image search: [Google]
ww_1_boom_ff.jpg
26KB, 433x178px
>people shitting on the coloring
>Orion is brightly colored showing his relation to the relative absurdism and excitement of his 4th world lide
>Scott, Barda and their house are more drab showing the normality and plainness of their earth and home life
I think its pretty clear when we head to New Genesis/Apokalips/heroics things will pick-up coloring wise
Disappointed at the lack of pic related though, was a really cool addition to the 4th world aesthetic Chiang did
>>
>>92314427
>Comparing King to Shakespeare

Ok kid, get back to me when you grow out of nihilism.
>>
>>92312438
Eh, I'm more partial to the original, but I like the new harness design
>>
>>92314568
King and Gerads probably pitched together since they're good friends/workmates and wanted an actual DC project together as opposed to just Vertigo
>>
@92314588
>nihilism
Please educate yourself about the terms you use then use them illiterate fellow anon. Also I really love how you have actually run out of argument but want to keep the goalposts moving. Not even going to waste a (You).
>>
>>92311694
Darkseid is.
>>
File: 1455032171154.jpg (81KB, 748x1069px) Image search: [Google]
1455032171154.jpg
81KB, 748x1069px
>>92311789
I hope.
>>
File: 1466908248721.png (104KB, 419x310px) Image search: [Google]
1466908248721.png
104KB, 419x310px
>>92311020
>Tom King
>>
>>92314598
It's just a general observation. Only bigger artists that can move the needle (lol) who are doing something niche are Samnee and Allred currently.
>>
>>92314681
I replied to two different posts, what's the confusion?
>>
>>92312696
>HacKing
>good
See, I can do it too, script writing freshman.
>>
>>92314657
>War and the preventable loss of life and suffering that comes with it is necessary
>Humans have to fight
>Everything that is going to be said already has been said

Pretty nihilistic to me friendo.
>>
>>92314682
is there a recommended reading list for Big Barda and Mr Miracle
>>
>>92314700
Dark Matter might count I guess? It's still capeshit but it's a specialty line to showcase their talent.
>>
>>92314817
I'm uploading all of his ongoing series here >>92314084 . It's about ~60 issues total.
>>
>>92314862
thanks anon
>>
>>92313944
Rebirth.
>>
@92314776
Yes goy, keep those goalposts moving. Let's just delve into the irrelevant argument since the argument you started with already fell apart as soon as you made it and the realization of it is brutal.
>>
>>92312700
King just did the first and last scripts of Robin War. The plot was likely a collaboration.
>>
>>92313736
His 2000s mainstream stuff like Batman and Superman doesn't even have anything to do with grimdark stuff.
>>
>>92314995
>goy
>>
>>92315029
The first issue was pretty good but then by the end the just became a dick measuring exercise of the Robin's.
>>
>>92313974
Don't think about it.
Darkseid War ignored a LOT of canon anyway.
>>
King might not be perfect, but at least he writes about something, and that's a lot in modern day Capeshit, which is full of Kiteman! Hell Yeah! Batman doesn't eat pie.
>>
>>92312316
I still find it hilarious how Kyle apparently went to the military with this not even in costume when they basically ruined his life when he first started out.
>>
>>92315129
But Kiteman! Hell yeah! *is* King.
>>
>>92311223
>Only Granny can teach

Orion BTFO!
>>
>>92315142
They still probably ruined his life less than the Omega Men did.
>>
>>92311826
>Isn't Orion Christ?

No.

Orion is the God of War destined to kill his father, the Lord of Apokolips.
>>
>>92315156
Yea, but it's the shitty King. I'm just saying that people have pushed back on serious stuff in comics so hard that comfy and light hearted shit has become the new norm. I'm glad that King is doing something different than Superman fighting Vegeta while hugging his family.
>>
>>92314862
Link is behaving oddly. Is anyone else experiencing trouble?
>>
File: wwl2.jpg (70KB, 339x313px) Image search: [Google]
wwl2.jpg
70KB, 339x313px
>>92315273
He's just like that sometimes. Ignore him.
>>
>Tom King

Gross.
>>
>>92315269
>I'm glad that King is doing something different than Superman fighting Vegeta while hugging his family.
Tomasi btfo.
>>
>>92311189
So why the fuck is Orion doing this?
>>
>>92315427
My guess is that they were supposed to meet up for training or whatever but Scott bailed on him.
>>
>>92315427
Motivation.
>>
>>92311189
>more cinematic

every fucking comic is "cinematic" now, im fucking out
>>
>>92315427
So you'll ask that question and buy the first issue.

>>92315621
I appreciate why that irritates you, but I can't tell if King is ACTUALLY going to make a shitty "widescreen" Game of Thrones version of the New Gods or if he's just spitting out buzzwords to sell the book to normies.
>"Who the fuck is Mister Miracle?"
>But Game of Thrones!
>OH I LOVE THAT I LIKE BATMAN TOO OK I'LL BUY IT
>>
>it's a nine panel grid episode

Tom King really needs to stop apeing Moore.
>>
>>92311265
>>King: I wanted to write about the Trump era, but I didn’t want to write, “Fascism sucks” or “Trump sucks.” That doesn’t get you anywhere. You’re taking your Twitter feed and putting it in panels. What I wanted to do is capture the emotion of the period, and the anxiety, the way Alan Moore captured the anxiety of the ‘80s or Kirby captured the anxiety of the ‘70s or even Lee captured the optimism of the ‘60s; to capture the feeling, more than the politics. That’s what interests me. That’s how you make something that’s just not a polemic. After page four, the whole thing goes into a 9-panel grid, and it’s to give you a sense of that claustrophobia. To give you a sense of what it is to be trapped, not only in the themes and the words, but in the actual panel structure. He’s trapped behind those bars we had in Omega Men, and how does he break out?
let /co/'s triggering begin
>>
>>92315621
why do people want everything cinematic
>>
>>92315677
in the context of cosmic DC the 9 grid layout is mostly attached to Giffen's work though
>>
>>92315677
but 9 panel grid was done before Moore
>>
>>92315677
Moore didn't invent such a simple layout.

3x3 is the most efficient way to fit a good amount of content in one page while being easy on the eyes.
>>
>>92315621
I'm not sure what he's on about, nine panel grids aren't cinematic. Cinematic comics are all about wide panels and double page spreads.
>>
>>92315677
And /co/ needs to read something from before the 80's so they'll stop gobbling up the casual meme of "grids = Watchmen"
>>92315692
Because they don't actually have any taste and they can't articulate the shitty opinions they do have so you have to sell them things by tagging the product with a "safe" term like "cinematic."
>>
>>92311177
>Trunks!
>TRUNKSS!!!!!
>>
>>92315621
Cinematic=/= decompressed filler splash pages, which are prevelent now.
>>
>>92315732
>"Alan Moore once told me he works the nine-pic grid because it's cinematic. I told him I work the six-grid pic because it's television. I should think more on that some time." - Warren Ellis
>>
>>92315709
>>92315717
>>92315726
>>92315741
These aren't arguments against it being lazy, well-trod territory.
>>
>>92315273
Still being funky? I rearranged some things in to folders, that may have messed you up. Try refreshing.
>>
Miracle Man looks visually a lot like the Vision. Has anyone else commented on this?
>>
>>92315805
Only Reddit >>92314089
>>
>>92315781
i'm just tried of everyone acting like Moore was the first person to do the 9 panel grid shit
>>
>>92315717
>>92315726
King is still a Moore fanboy and you can tell he only does it because of Watchmen.
>>
>>92315781
You should have actually made an argument instead of quipping your opinion then. It's difficult to tell whether your problem was "aping" or "aping moore," and whether or not you're implying Moore "invented" the 9-panel.
>>
>>92311694
Darkseid is.
>>
>>92315781
Your argument is that he was aping Moore when he's generally aping Giffen (the Button is likely intentionally Moore).

But I don't know man. He's not trying to claim he invented it and the interview makes it seems like it's just this particular scene that has it rather than the entire issue. It's for storytelling function not whatever you're trying to claim.
>>
>>92315732
I think he's using "cinematic" in the sense of motion. You can see how they're basically showing each one of their movements through those panels in those pages, rather than only splash moments.
>>
>>92314186
U wot? Vision came long before Scott.
>>
File: alanmooreneonomiconhornbook11.jpg (182KB, 655x1023px) Image search: [Google]
alanmooreneonomiconhornbook11.jpg
182KB, 655x1023px
>>92315775
Alan is a loon.
>>92315767
The funny thing is that this comic will be decompressed >>92312423
>>
I liked King's Vision enough to day that It was my favourite Big Two series from last year (even if it doesn't say much about its overall quality anyway, let's just say it was decent), his Batman was disappointing honestly, I dropped it after the story with Batman and Catwoman on the roofs of Gotham, I didn't read any other King after those, nonetheless I was slightly happy about this Mister Miracle news, I love the concept behind the character and I love Kirby and the New Gods, especially Darkseid and what Morrison did with him, but my hype pretty much died after reading the interview, I'm sick and tired of having politics in every single piece of entertainment and it's always leftist propaganda honestly, I don't have a problem with them having occasional stories to fullfill their fantasies with, but this shit is everywhere, it's getting tiring and I feel like it's slowly driving me away from comics, fiction and art in general.
It's not even from a neutral point of view, is always the same childish tantrum, the fact that King said it will not be like this this time doesn't help at all.
The world has gone crazy, i'll give him that, but I don't need this bullshit following me everywhere, valid criticism and commentary once in a while is good, don't get me wrong, but the whole thing is far from valid criticism.
>>
>>92315819
>>92315837
>>92315848
Not the same guy that said he was aping Moore fuckos. Enjoy reading more of the same repetitive bullshit.
>>
>>92315918
>especially Darkseid and what Morrison did with him

Confirmed pleb
>>
>>92315948
Nice meme.
>>
>>92315895
There's a difference between a slow burn and adding unnecessary splash pages to fill up your issues. It's unlikely for King to use a lot of splash pages in this.
>>
>>92315920
Then I don't get your point. Not every comic has to have a revolutionary layout to be a good comic and tell a story well.

>Enjoy reading more of the same repetitive bullshit.

I will, thank you. Hope you can find something to your taste as well.
>>
>>92315976
Charging four dollars for barely a story doesn't seem wise in this market but I guess King is the "artist" here.
>>
>>92316011
Why do you even read modern comics then?
>>
>>92315818
To be honest /r/comicbooks is a pretty good subreddit, they have decent taste but yeah there's always dumbasses like pic related.
>>
>>92315977
Not every comic has to have a nine panel grid either. Someone should tell King.
>>
>>92316054
Bane Conquest #1 delivered 2-3 decompressed issues worth of content in just one. I suppose that might be the result of the differences in their political philosophies. Conservatives want to deliver as much bang for their buck as they can, whereas liberals expect to be paid to deliver art on their terms.
>>
>>92316125
>Conservatives want to delivr as much bang for their buck
Too bad the book wasn't even worth pirating.
>>
>>92316069
>r/comicbooks is a pretty good subreddit
Then why don't you go and stay there?
>>
>>92316188
When it comes to retailer sell-throughs it was #10 the week it was released. :^)
>>
>>92316125
>Conservatives want more bang for your buck
That's a bullshit statement. Just as many conservatives would argue that you're allowed to charge whatever price you want for however little content you want. There's the "work hard" style conservatism and the "fuck you, I got mine" style, with some overlap between the two.
>>
>>92316255
>A #1 issue for a Bat character from a very famous movie is selling good
And what does sales even have to do with anything?
>>
>>92316069
Just went there and they are praising Dennis Hopeless. And last time I went there they were surprised that Ms. Marvel cover was an homage to Supergirl's cover.

They might be below CBR.
>>
>>92316275
This kind of laziness only happens with a monopoly or collusion, and neither is applicable when it comes to comic writers.
>>92316321
Turns out a good number of people thought it'd be worth buying.
>>
>>92316255
>sales equal quality!
By your own logic, King is a better writer due to Batman 22 being #1 that week.
>>
>>92316352
>This kind of laziness only happens with a monopoly or collusion, and neither is applicable when it comes to comic writers.
Ya know what.......fair enough.
>>
>>92316379
Joshua Williamson wrote Batman #22, King's already checked out of the story. :^)
>>
>>92316069
They only discuss capeshit, and downvote any discussion against the circlejerk, they can go to hell
>>
>>92316413
so...../co/ but with voting?
>>
>>92316403
But the orders were locked in with King solicited not Williamson
>>
>>92315677
King's Moore influences go beyond the 9 panel grid PLEB.
>>
>>92311177
Nope
>>
>>92315732
>nine panel grids aren't cinematic.
They're cinematic as fuck desu unless you just equate cinematic with muh wide panels and explosions. Even Miller used his 16 panel grid in TDKR cinematically.
>>
>>92312491
DC wanted to make the characters more younger and easily adapted to movies.
>>
>>92311265
I wanted to write about the Trump era, but I didn’t want to write, “Fascism sucks” or “Trump sucks.” That doesn’t get you anywhere. You’re taking your Twitter feed and putting it in panels.

Marvel BTFO. I'm so hyped for this book. Based King.

Also before all you fags freak out King was in Iraq. He can actually talk about these things.
>>
>>92314903
That's wrong though.
>>
>>92316782
Not him but New 52 is Rebirth with a new coat of paint and less good titles.
>>
>>92311177
Orion looks like he needs a shower and is surrounded by flies.
>>
>>92311223
I really hope he just draws Barda thick and not overweight. She looks a little overweight in these panels. Barda grew up on Apokolips, there is no way obesity is allowed there simply due to lack of food.
>>
File: hub city.jpg (147KB, 582x566px) Image search: [Google]
hub city.jpg
147KB, 582x566px
>>92312100
Reminder that Darkseid was mugged by thugs in Hub City
>>
>>92311223
best girl
>>
File: image.png (517KB, 376x591px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
517KB, 376x591px
>>92311189
>>
>Iraq veterans BTFO millennial Trumpfags and /pol/
How can one person be so based?
>>
>>92312879
Vision is the opposite of nihilistic.
>>
>>92311174
>I have only shitposted in Batman storytimes
>>
Glad to see Rebirth finally getting a good book.
>>
>>92316926
did this writer hate Jack Kirby or something
>>
>>92317053
There are few anons ITT that are quoting nihilistic as their first $5 word.
>>
>>92317053
I did say "a bit". I thought the ending of the book was saying that you can only achieve good things in the face of evil that your actions can only make a tiny dent in, and nearly everyone you love or care about will betray you and then die.

...still seems a bit nihilistic.
>>
>>92317099
>Deathstroke and New Super-Man
>not good

fuck you
>>
>>92317125
Not our fault it's King's MO.
>>
>>92317130
I interpreted the ending more as: "trying to force yourself to be normal is plunging straight down the rabbit hole, because normality doesn't actually exist".
>>
>>92317234
That's fair enough. But it doesn't offer an alternative that leads to more constructive outcomes.
>>
>>92317130
>I thought the ending of the book was saying that you can only achieve good things in the face of evil that your actions can only make a tiny dent in, and nearly everyone you love or care about will betray you and then die.
What? The Vision is a clear immigration allegory and Viv has her existential dilemma and then she realizes she doesn't have to be like "them" and doesn't care to fit in. This is as simple as it gets, what's nihilistic about that?
>>92317178
No it isn't, it's just /co/tards who probably googled first year philosophical topics pretending they know what they are talking about.
>>
>>92317256
I mean, Viv gets the happy ending by embracing her robotic side. I feel like King was trying to say that, while obviously robots shouldn't be dismissed as inhuman monsters, making them humans is an oversimplification that leads to disaster. A synthoid is a synthoid. It's no worse than a human, but it's also not a human.
>>
>>92317299
Jeeze, really? Ugh. Assimilation is a good plan. It doesn't mean you deny yourself, but it does mean you don't try to segregate yourself.

>>92317308
Hmmm. That's a good point. I should reread it.
>>
>>92317154
"Rebirth has no good book REEEEEE" is a meme among America Chavez fans.
>>
>>92317299
>immigration allegory
>Virginia kills a bunch of people and then kills herself, Vision almost kills a bunch of people, then goes back to doing the same thing again in secret
Hmm
>>
>>92317354
I don't think it's about segregation as much as people should accept you for who you are in the context of different race and outsiders coming in to be society and atmosphere. In the prologue (first issue) there's a remark from narration that points out that in that area of suburbs a lot of people from outside have come to live their life, so I do think that the book is hinting that Vision should also be accepted there.
>>
>>92317391
No, it's an objective fact among people who have actually read good books. >>92317154
Deathstroke is good, but New Super-man is just alright.
>>
>>92317308
Then Waid threw away her characterization.
>>
>>92317426
Virginia never killed anyone? The father of the boy was just hurt badly and went into coma after he fired at Virginia, it was self defense.
>>
>>92311020
I thought King was doing LOSH
>>
>>92317565
>still expecting LoSH
It would come after the Watchmen plotline is over, at least that's how I feel about it.
>>
>>92317565
Just speculation. There's basically no information on that, JSA, or any of the other books that were supposed to be coming.
>>
>>92315830
He's also a Giffen fanboy.
>>
>>92317485
Like "America" and Ewing works, amirite?
>>
>>92317530
She killed Grim Reaper and Victor. It's not self-defense when the guy attacking you has no actual ability to hurt you, she was just covering her own ass.
>>
>>92317639
She only killed Victor and Victor was no pooch. Grim Reaper would have killed them all.
>>
>>92317485
I'll add that while the writing in Deathstorke is top notch the art is crap.
>>
>>92317702
Killing Victor was pure premeditated murder. He was already serving time for the accidental death of her son. And Grim Reaper can be subdued without being killed, it's happened many times before (he's also been killed multiple times before but that's neither here nor there).
>>
>>92317713
It's not so much crap as incredibly inconsistent.

>>92317463
That makes a lot more sense, thanks. Definitely need to reread. :)
>>
File: artstroke.jpg (1MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
artstroke.jpg
1MB, 1988x3056px
>>92317713
Maybe Marvel's webcomics artists broke your eyes.
>>
>>92317762
Nah, it's crap. Repeating panels is a pet peeve of mine and it's also incredibly stiff, action scenes look like crap. Apart from the repeating panels and the stiffness there's not much to talk about, it's...fucking generic but those flaws make it crap. Priest deserves better.
>>
>>92317565
nah hickman is
>>
>>92317758
Well yeah sure, it is going for a tragic irony scenario. A lot of Shakespeare stuff made both sides nuanced and this was going for that. It wasn't inherently "natives are bad, they oppress immigrants" rather the struggles about the immigrants in new world where natives are of wide variety and not just full blown racists.
>>
>>92315918
all art is political. Even the statement that art shouldn't be political is a political statement
>>
>>92317819
>Repeating panels is a pet peeve of mine
Then don't read Priest comic?
>>
>>92317877
no idea if that's good or not, I have never read anything he's made
>>
>>92317819
>Priest deserves better.
Priest is literally the one who puts on his script: "repeats panel". That is what a writer does.

Are all Ewingfags like you?
>>
>>92315782
It just keeps refreshing once it gets to the decryption phase of loading.
>>
>>92314186
He was based on Red Tornado.

>>92314173
>>92314112
>>92313866
>Reality sucks is just as juvenile a message as war sucks.

But it's one that appeals to a lefty ex-CIA spook like King. "Life is too complicated everyone makes mistakes" helps mitigate the fact that Obama and Hillary fucked the world over with their actions in the mid-east, actions King actively worked to further when he was CIA.

Look a the interview. You notice that he makes reference to his work as "tricking terrorists to fight terrorists" which means he worked to further instability in the mid-east. Tom King probably sold arms to ISIS/ISIL/Al Queda/insert organization here.

>>92316926
>>92317105
People forget that the New Gods were treated as jokes, as those weird alien guys that get beat up by stronger characters, before Morrison gave them their balls back.

>>92317463
>>92317354
>Lefty "suburbia is literally hell" bullshit

Western suburbia is probably the most accepting environment on Earth. You think inner city's are more accepting?
>>
File: 1493838233369.jpg (163KB, 600x621px) Image search: [Google]
1493838233369.jpg
163KB, 600x621px
>>92317767
Wait a second is that the Clock King ?
>>
>>92318069
yes
>>
>>92318061
I wasn't saying suburbia is hell - I was trying to push back on it.
>>
>>92318069
Yes.

But Priest writing an Eisner nominee story using Clock King with an excellent artist isn't good. /co/ told me. Al Ewing is the only good writer that exists.
>>
>>92311555
>>92311899
>>92311901
>It's another Orion is a big angry thug episode
>Orion actually called himself the son of Darksied, had to be reminded that he's the son of Highfather
>Motherbox not PING PING PING-ing to calm his ass down and letting him beat up Scott
>Orion letting his face go all rocky and not using Mother Box to repair it

One day I will have someone write the conflicted and noble Orion of Kirby.

I want the O'Brien mob back. They were such a fun concept.
>>
>>92318124
>with an excellent artist
Cowan only drew one issue pal.
>>
>>92312833

Because that Bruce woulnd't become Batman. Young Bruce should be motivated by hate and revenge, not depression.
>>
>>92317877
King is better than Hickman
>>
A depressed and suicidal Bruce would never have the drive to become Batman.

Bruce was always motivated by hate. In getting his revenge on Joe Chill, on getting his revenge on criminals. The first thing he did as an 8 year old boy was pray to God the opportunity to avenge his parents.

A 10 year old Bruce that cut his writs would never man up.
>>
>>92318304
>not knowing depression and anger are intrinsically linked

wew
>>
>>92318263
Everyone knows that.
>>
>>92318124
Deathstroke is not an indicator of the quality of rest of rebirth. It's a big contrast in tone to the rest of the line, which consists of comfy and quippy Marlel tier shit. While Deathstroke is character driven and tightly plotted. It's good only because Priest is an acclaimed 90s guy, when comics were actually good, unlike today.
Rebirth is good because of Deathstroke is like saying Anad was good because of Vision.
>>
>>92318356

Yeah, but Bruce would never get to the point of calling it quits. That's the problem. Bruce would never rest before catching the man that killed his parents.
>>
>>92317921
>all art is political
I'm not sure about that, a lot of artistic masterpieces have a political message, that's true, but not every single piece of art is political, where's the political message in something like I Kill Giants for exemple? Honestly I'd say that art is more ideological than political in nature, which is something far more vast and complicated than politics.

In a sense, you are right, saying that art shouldn't be political is somewhat a political statement per se, but I'm not suggesting that art shouldn't talk about politics at all, I love satire, but what is happening right now with entertainment is embarassing and it's mostly blatant and bad political propaganda, which has very little artistic value, if not none at all.
>>
>>92318388
>It's a big contrast in tone to the rest of the line, which consists of comfy and quippy Marlel tier shit
Nice meme.
>>
File: 1494185767139.png (732KB, 691x724px) Image search: [Google]
1494185767139.png
732KB, 691x724px
>>92318388
>comics were good in 90s
>>
>>92317927
>>92317971
You uncultured swine don't even know the difference between pencils and layouts? The purpose in using the panels in such a way is to control time. Repeating panels is just laziness, nothing more. A good artist would show minimal movement between panels but a bad one wouldn't be bothered to do the extra work. It looks like fucking shit when the characters are statues like that. Get some taste.
>>
>>92318459
DC was actually doing fairly well in the 90's quality wise. Priest was even doing Ray back then and Deathstroke is pretty similar to it storytelling-wise, problems and all.
>>
>>92318263
>>92318359
That's really not saying much.
>>
>>92318507
Ignore him. He's probably a characterfag or started reading with Rebirth or new 52. Linkara told him all about the shitty 90s.
>>
>>92318507
They're not similar in any way.
>>
>>92318459
he's right, at least for DC
>>
File: anon is retarded.png (1MB, 917x477px) Image search: [Google]
anon is retarded.png
1MB, 917x477px
>>92318477
Or maybe you're just a pretentious retarded?
>>
File: repeatingshit.jpg (79KB, 559x437px) Image search: [Google]
repeatingshit.jpg
79KB, 559x437px
>>92318627
>calling out people for being lazy is pretentious
Give me one good reason why he had to re use a panel instead of drawing a new one. One good reason. Eat shit, you bendis devouring tard.
>>
>>92318714
Do you want massive freaking word balloons?
>>
File: lazy panel.jpg (73KB, 561x260px) Image search: [Google]
lazy panel.jpg
73KB, 561x260px
>>92318627
Look at this shit. Why even copy paste the damn panel? Why not just stick all the bubbles on one panel?
>>
>>92318714
I called you pretentious because you are pretentious. Can't a pretentious retard keep up with a simple conversation?
>>
>>92318775
That seems redrawn not reused. Bruce's mouth is different.
>>
File: frozen in place.jpg (100KB, 570x298px)
frozen in place.jpg
100KB, 570x298px
>>92318767
I want the artist to draw three different panels instead of drawing one and then copy+paste it.
>>
>>92318797
You called me pretentious because it's just another buzzword you've seen thrown around. You probably don't even know what it means. Regardless, you're a fucking retard without an argument
>>
>>92318811
Simpleton pig, can't you see clearly? Are your eyes prejudicated by Rebirth, AKA the destruction of comics in the post-modern world, including its zeitgeist?
>>
>>92318855
That kind of overdramatic Jack Kirby stuff is fine for some. I personally like the sitcom type feel that it can create. It's often overused, especially when there's "reaction" panels with no dialogue, but I don't think Priest and King are doing it.
>>
>>92318913
I called you pretentious because of...

>"You uncultured swine (...) Get some taste."

Comedic levels of pretentiousness.

I won't even ask who are good writers to you. The answer sure would be laughable, like Al Ewing or something like that.
>>
Repeated panels are like sameface to me. Obviously still a flaw but if the rest of the storytelling is competent it's not a dealbreaker.
>>
File: nicola scott ww.jpg (1MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
nicola scott ww.jpg
1MB, 1988x3056px
>>92318960
That would require the artist to not repeat panels because in that type of story, facial expressions are very important.
Rebirth is such a piece of shit that it's even fried some people's brains I guess... Defending the lazy practice of repeating panels is atrocious and you should feel ashamed.
Here's a page from Wonder Woman, if this had one of the Deathstroke artists, the hand in the last two panels wouldn't have been redrawn, it would've been a copy pasted panel with her hand and in the last a snake added on post. But of course Rucka gets to waste good artist on his shit while Deathstroke gets crap.
>>
>>92319016
Then you aren't worthy of reading post-modern comic books, dotterel.

Only the finest men should be able to acquire such treasures. "Superior Foes", uh, it's like old wine. Sublime, absolutely sublime.
>>
>>92319005
You keep going on and on about Al "retard alert" Ewing... I'm surprised you haven't used the big guns yet Henderson and Gaby Rivera. You're such a meme spouting retard, I bet you loved Superior Memes of Spider-man too.
>>
>>92319107
The panels of Deathstroke shown weren't even repeated - the background was the same, but the pose changed.
>>
>>92311020
Cool.
>>
>>92318507
>>92318611
There were highlights, as there are in every decade but overall 80s had way better input. I agree that DC was doing well but it was still a downgrade compared to 80s and industry as a whole was in terrible place quality wise.
>>
>>92319175
Except for the poses being the exact same. You have the damn things in your face and you're choosing to reject reality? The power of Rebirth I guess...
>>
>>92319217
Objectively wrong.
>>
File: anon is not joking.jpg (117KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
anon is not joking.jpg
117KB, 600x400px
>>92318714
>>92318775
>>92318855
>>92318913
>>92319107
>>92319165
Are you talking to me? Oh, sorry, old sport, I was busy reading a compilation of Gabriel Garcia Marquez works while listening to Chopin.
>>
>>92319107
Rucka can get people he knows and Scott works with him on an ongoing basis. Priest doesn't have that luxury since he has been gone for along time and his editors don't have a very deep rolodex of names.
>>
>>92318855
Look retard, Priest had Denys Cowan do the exact same shit, is he a bad and lazy artist too? That's just how Priest rolls, been that way since forever.
>>
>>92319255
How?
>>
>>92319276
Must be some shit editors then. Your job is to call up people and get them on projects, especially in terms of artists because you might need fill ins. Considering the era we live in it's also incredibly easy to get in touch with anyone. Rucka's editor snatched up Bilquis Evely, Priest's editor got Cary Nord to shit up the place in his two issues where he didn't even collaborate with Hama on the layouts.
>>
>>92319290
Cowan didn't repeat panels, you lying sack of shit. Why do you keep rejecting reality? He only did it on the first page and even then the usage of colors for effect made the panels vastly different. And Cowan is also a much better penciler than fucking Bennet And Pagulayan put together. Fuck you for even comparing them.
>>
>>92311694
Darkseid is.
>>
>>92319227
Let's take a look again:

>>92318627
>>92318714
Poses different.

>>92318775
Pose same.

I'll agree that the last example isn't great. But I'm not denying anything.
>>
>>92315273
Turn the https into http.
>>
>>92319524
You're a retard, point isn't who's a better penciler, point is how Priest uses them. Fucking slit your throat and rid the world of your retardation.
>>
>>92319586
How can you claim that the first and fourth panels here >>92318714 aren't the same?
Conveniently ignoring this one >>92318855
>>
>>92319726
You're right. I missed the last one. And that's also same panel. Not the best.

I don't hate it. The dialogue is keeping me interested. If it's not doing it for you, I can't make you like it.
>>
>>92317299
>Life sucks, suburban happiness is an illusion, change is useless, death is all around us

You're right, nothing to do with a nihilistic worldview
>>
>>92319817
See how you've changed your tune? The shitty art isn't ruing the comic for me but the bottom line is Priest deserves better artists. The issues by Cowan is amazing and sticks out for the greatly improved art over the rest of the series.
>>
>>92319879
>bad things happening
>nihilism
Thanks professor, where did you get your philosophy major?
>>
>>92319961
>Concepts consistently associated with dealing with the meaninglessness of existence
>Not nihilism

Where'd you get yours?
>>
>>92319952
I think Priest deserves artists who can do more than one issue with a fillin backup by themselves. I love Pagulayan's detail work, but he can't do a single issue solo to save his life. He should stick to covers. I really like Bennet because of Birds of Prey, and I think Priest is doing a solid job making the dialogue work with the art choices/limitations.
>>
>>92320031
>meaninglessness of existence
That's not what the characters learned. Nihilism in fiction is defined by both the outlook of the world as well as the characters, here both are not true.
>>
>>92320084
..."life is but a dream"...seems pretty meaningless...
>>
>>92320084
Moving the goalposts doesn't change the fact that Vision and the rest of King's writing is an exercise in "exploring" the meaninglessness of death and tragedy ad nauseum. Pretending it's smarter than a goth teenager's worldview is up to you I guess, but it doesn't make you smarter.
>>
>>92320183
It's fairly bog standard existentialism (which I think is logically not really different than nihilism, but has an action plan). But I think what makes him strong as a writer isn't depth, but the fact that he's able to communicate his perspective really powerfully.
>>
>>92320183
It's also smarter than whatever DC and Marlel has been printing, whose average output is "Batman doesn't eat pie" and "Holy Menstruation".
>>
>>92320251
And what a perspective that is. Did you know he was in the CIA? He can tell us war is bad and we can actually believe it now!
>>
>>92320271
>KITE MAN HELL YAAAAAA

Keep telling yourself that buddy.
>>
>>92320295
What about that doesn't work for you? I mean, I respect someone who is willing to serve his country, and respects the troops (as far as I can tell), while still acknowledging that war is pretty hell.
>>
>>92320374
If you respect the CIA then I've really been wasting my time talking to you.
>>
>>92320401
As opposed to someone who thinks war is fun.
>>
>>92320418
The CIA's slogan.
>>
>>92320401
>>92320432
So you're just biased, Nice to know.
>>
>>92320136
Not really, the poem is a metaphor for life where life is equated with boat, dream is equated with creation. Dreams are our creation and in our creation we choose to do what we will to. Row your boat merrily = live your life happily.
One sees the futility of existence or celebration of it where one chooses to. It depends if you are in edgelordian phase of your life or the enlightened one.
>>
>>92320446
You caught me, I'm biased against hack writing and government agencies that consistently and violently destabilize nations overthrow governments and assassinate people both guilty and innocent indiscriminately. My hands are up.
>>
>>92320486

It's not "boat is just a dream" you sanctimonious moron.
>>
>>92320183
>"A tragedy is the imitation of an action that is serious and also, as having magnitude, complete in itself; in appropriate and pleasurable language;... in a dramatic rather than narrative form; with incidents arousing pity and fear, wherewith to accomplish a catharsis of these emotions."
~~ Aristotle
>>
>>92320589
Aristotle won't save you. But good googling.
>>
>>92320581
I never said that. It's fun that anon just doesn't have any worthwhile analysis, injects his worldviews in fiction and keeps shitposting about it on Mongolian shota doujins website.
>>
>>92320632
Nah it was in the book I'm reading for my thesis.
>>
>>92320675
You just misinterpreted a nursery rhyme. Shut the fuck up and move on.
>>
>>92320714
Well I hope for your sake it's not about storytelling or interpretation.
>>
File: 1494267789075.png (776KB, 1480x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1494267789075.png
776KB, 1480x1000px
>>92320729
>it's a I'm an intellectual who knows my literature and deeper meaning behind it even though I never touched literature after highschool episode
>>
>>92320820
You're posturing still doesn't mask your fundamental misunderstanding of the term "life is but a dream", a song for babies designed to send them to sleep peacefully.
>>
File: 1470780794998.png (157KB, 400x550px) Image search: [Google]
1470780794998.png
157KB, 400x550px
>>92320530
>>
>>92320333
Hell yeah.
>>
>>92320946
>lines in poems are supposed to be interpreted literally
Truly an intellectual among us plebians
>>
>>92320986
Shows how much you fail to understand in your desire to meme.
>>
>>92321038
>A line from a centuries old nursery rhyme designed to placate children doesn't have broader negative implications when you actually think about it

You really know what you're talking about
>>
>>92320946
college lit professor here

can confirm that everything is in fact up for interpretation especially in poetry because its less of a concrete form.
>>
>>92321113
No I'm not, you do. I'm not enlightened enough to know that first step in analyzing and understanding poem is to disregard the metaphoric value because poems are a form of plain speech.
>>
>>92321164
Maybe you should teach your students how "life is but a dream" can easily shift meanings from its original context and through a modern lens can be very easily interpreted as an existential nightmare.
>>
>>92321228
Context is everything dummy.
>>
Best team in comics
>>
>>92321300
>backpedaling
Not that this is going to help considering the arc of Virginia and Viv in the book.
Thread posts: 553
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.