[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was the first comic series you ever read? Did you pick

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7

File: WITCHposter[1].jpg (70KB, 321x452px) Image search: [Google]
WITCHposter[1].jpg
70KB, 321x452px
What was the first comic series you ever read?

Did you pick it up at a bookstore? Online? Was it a gift?

Did it shape your taste in comics, or did you forget about it afterward?

Pic related. Got it as a christmas present because I liked books and fairies.
>>
>>92298682
Never read a whole series.

My first comic was either mickey mouse story about fish poachers or a story about a down on his luck anthropomorphic cat smuggler who narrowly avoids capture during a raid on a seedy bar, meets the young rebel princess who escaped her imprisonment on her heavily modified speed-freak female chariot who literally derives sexual pleasure from going fast and together they overthrow the corrupt government. One of the two, I don't remember which, I was 6 at the time.
>>
File: GI_Joe_vs_Transformers_4a.jpg (35KB, 252x380px) Image search: [Google]
GI_Joe_vs_Transformers_4a.jpg
35KB, 252x380px
>>92298682
I read it in a library. It was also my first exposure to G1 Transformers, growing up as an Armada kid.
>>
Calvin and Hobbes was the first comic strip I read obsessively, and I think Fullmetal Alchemist was the first narrative comic. I read some western stuff from my small town library (like Persepolis and Maus), but my first western narrative comics... webcomics? I think one about an angsty werewolf boy that I liked the art/psychology of but lost interest when it switched more to him joining a pack.
>>
>>92298682
Are you a faggot? Referring to the fairies part.
>>
>>92298682
my nigga.

I don't remember how I got into it exactly or knew what it was but I just asked my dad to get me WITCH. Then I read it religiously and he kept getting me copies every time a new one came out. I still have them but they're pretty torn up.

These were a million times better than the cartoon.
>>
>What was the first comic series you ever read?
Probably a Monica's Gang issue. Either that or DuckTales.

>Did you pick it up at a bookstore? Online? Was it a gift?
My parents used to buy me a fuckload of comics.

>Did it shape your taste in comics, or did you forget about it afterward?
I stopped reading both Monica's Gang and DuckTales afterwards, cause I was SO MATURE for them. It feels stupid now.

What about you, OP, did W.i.t.c.h. shape your taste in comics? Or just your love of male genitals?
>>
>>92300521
>These were a million times better than the cartoon.

If you're talking about the first few arcs, I'd agree. But the comics went to shit while the cartoon improved immensely in the second season.
>>
>>92299536
maybe they're a woman. those exist.
>>
>>92305322
Not on 4chan they don't.
>>
>>92305322
I'm sure the anon you're talking to has never spoken to one before.
>>
File: 682528medium2529.jpg (81KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
682528medium2529.jpg
81KB, 450x600px
Probably Suske & Wiske. These are about the only comics besides Donald Duck you can get at any random bookstore in the Netherlands and I often got them for nearly nothing at flea markets.
>>
>>92300521
Your dad mustve been dissapointed his son is a fag
>>
>>92305344
This anon is quite correct. Don't fall for it, guys.
>>
Superman: The Man of Steel 129 by Chuck Austen
I read it at a library when I first ran away from my house and didn't know where to go
still one of my favorite comics to this day
Superman is my jam and I'm probably the only adamant Chuck Austen defender in the world, including his X-Men and Avengers work
>>
>>92307798
Unless the dad is a fag too.
>>
File: W-I-T-C-H-Girls.jpg (106KB, 400x433px) Image search: [Google]
W-I-T-C-H-Girls.jpg
106KB, 400x433px
I was also into WITCH as a kid, was probably the first comic series I actually followed chronologically and put in effort to obtain the next volume every time I finished one. I too was a huge fan of fairies when I was a little girl.
I'm also pretty sure WITCH was the one franchise that made me ready for weebdom by the age of 10.

>>92305699
Suske & Wiske was really cool and was indeed so well known and widely available you'd get boxes full of them for next to nothing. Asterix too. Good shit.
>>
>>92298682
An issue of Claremont's X-Men. Don't remember the number, but the villain was Proteus.
>>
>>92308502
ROASTIE GET OUT REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: runaways018_CMYK.jpg (59KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
runaways018_CMYK.jpg
59KB, 300x400px
>>92298682
Runaways.

My mom got some books of it for me when she went to the library. Probably at random.

I don't really follow comics much, but Runaways will always hold a special place in my heart.
>>
>>92298682
Marjorie Liu's X-23

Pirated it because I thought she looked cool in mvc3

Kinda, I still like the character.
>>
>>92298682
The first comic I ever read I found in a box of my dad's stuff.
It was a single issue of the Avengers I think, the cover was missing that had Doom travelling back in time to fix shit when Galactus was attacking, Iron Man, Thor and some others were fighting goons and everyone eventually channeled all their power through Mjolnir so that the Silver Surfer could fuck Galactus' shit.
My second issue also came from the same box, during the time Silver Surfer was trapped on Earth, some old blind lady freaked out and could see again, then SS walked into the cult's trap on their artificial island.

I must have read them a thousand times and I don't even know what issues they were.
If anyone has any ideas as to which runs they're from, I'd love to know.
>>
>>92308502
CITY
A
P
I
T
A
L
>>
File: NYX_Vol_1_1_Textless.jpg (231KB, 667x1000px) Image search: [Google]
NYX_Vol_1_1_Textless.jpg
231KB, 667x1000px
>>92298682
My first comic was Nyx.

When I was in middle school, I remember just looking up random stuff on the internet, and I came across *pic related, and was just mesmerized by it. Eventually I found the source, torrented the whole series, and have been into comics ever since.

As for did it shape my taste in comics, surprisingly not. Nyx was, much like Runaways released around the same time, an indie comic/superhero story mashup, sadly the writing just wasn't as good, so half way through it just turned into a generic X-Men comic, which in turn, got me into that series, and the avengers, and all the other generic but non the less enjoyable superhero stories. Also I did forget about it as my interests moved elsewhere, but eventually I looked it up again. It's still good, not great, but non the less an enjoyable afternoon read.

Also, while I never read the W.i.t.c.h comics, that was my favorite cartoon as a kid, it was so good!
>>
File: 1416126823120.png (142KB, 686x441px) Image search: [Google]
1416126823120.png
142KB, 686x441px
>WITCH
>mfw proper english scanlation never
>>
>>92310256
the entire first arc is on tumblr, but it just isn't the same as reading it the first time in issues imported from the Phillipines. But yea, besides manga, that was my first series.
>>
>>92310976
The first ~2 dozen issues have official english translations. The other ~150 issues have scanlations of varying quality. Mostly the shitty kind.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.