[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMv i5eBzDEo NYC isn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 4

File: oliver-and-company.jpg (955KB, 1300x1950px) Image search: [Google]
oliver-and-company.jpg
955KB, 1300x1950px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMvi5eBzDEo

NYC isn't actually this cool, is it?
>>
>>92275535
Nowadays? No.
>>
>>92275669
but it used to be?
>>
It was, briefly, after Guiliani cleaned it up, but before he sold Manhattan to the highest bidders.
>>
>>92275721
Back in the 80s it was a little, but not that cool
>>
File: IMG_0800.png (928KB, 1301x976px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0800.png
928KB, 1301x976px
>>92275535
I'm going to figure out how flit cure cancer
>sees this thread
>that song gets stuck in my head
>>
Billy Joel is.
>>
>>92275535
NYC is simultaneously more safe than ever these days, but partially as a result of this significantly less "cool" in the old school sense of the word. It's still neat to visit but it's not some happening cool place like it was in the 80's. By the same measure though, you're a lot less likely to get shot.
>>
>>92275535
>NYC isn't actually this cool, is it?

you're 30 years too late
>>
>>92275894

Urban Renewal did to NYZ what it did to Vegas. The gritty, seedy, but nevertheless attractive identity of the city was erased. I mean, it's GOOD that there are pimps and dealers and XXX GIRLS GIRLS GIRLS theaters in the middle of fuckin Times Square anymore, I guess, but New York lost most of its New Yorkness in the exchange.

And Vegas is just Disney Land, now.
>>
>>92275535
Ever heard of Paris Sydrome?
>>
>>92276009
>>92275894
Are the locals still rude to the point of open hostility?
>>
>>92275811
I wasn't even born in the 80s
>>92276023
yes
>>
>>92276084

Yes, but at least they don't try to mug/rape you anymore.

80s NYC was like Current Year Chicago or worse.
>>
>>92276084
Really depends on the borough
>>
>>92275535
NYC is full of cunts. Too many people trying to rip you off, rape you, assault you, etc. I've had all of this stuff happen to me in just one day visiting there. I wouldn't be surprised if people outside of the US hate Americans because the only place they visit are the cities, so city dwellers and politicians are what they think of when thinking of Americans.
>>
>>92276143
>Too many people trying to rip you off, rape you, assault you, etc. I've had all of this stuff happen to me in just one day visiting there.

Oh my god, anon, you were raped?

I'm so sorry.
>>
>>92276179
Not raped, but they tried to. Once when they realized I was traveling with 20 other people they ran off. The man kept saying that I looked so young like Justin Bieber and wanted to take me back to his place, trying to corner me.
>>
>>92276179
>rip you off, assault you

You reminded me of why I hate going to work in Manhattan on certain mornings. The area around is fuckin bum and addict central. The type where they're on almost every corner or holding the doors open for change. I guess that's because it's near a YMCA.
>>
>>92276143
yeah honestly I imagine it's like being jon voight in midnight cowboy for most people living there
>>
>>92275535

The dogs in this movie are too sexy
>>
>>92276302
I don't even know why you would want to live there. It's bad enough that the streets are so crowded, you have to constantly be on your guard. Even the novelty of all the stores has got to wear off eventually once you become used to it.
>>
>>92276437
Very much it's convenience since almost everything is in walking distance or a train/bus ride away. There's a reason why some people in NYC don't get their driver's license till they're in their mid-20s or even later at times.
>>
>>92276470
You do you I guess, but from my experience there I wouldn't feel comfortable having one thing in my hands without getting mugged.
>>
>>92276143
I grew up very close to New York City and only went a handful of times in my childhood. I enjoyed going because it seemed like such a lively, fun environment, but the few times I've gone in the past few years I realize it's a fucking shithole.
>>
File: 1473878914466.jpg (243KB, 398x354px) Image search: [Google]
1473878914466.jpg
243KB, 398x354px
>>92276291
>hey
>hey
>hey man *grabs sleeve*
>hey man gimme a cigarette man
>just gimme one cigarette
I fucking hate walking near rehab clinics because this shit always happens
>>
>>92276291
The YMCA there is actually the place my group slept at, it might explain some things.
>>
>>92276568
>grabs sleeve

I've never had any of them try that shit on me. The rule I have is that you keep freakin moving, almost had an altercation happen when one of those shitty 'upcoming rappers' was trying to sell me his mixtape in Brooklyn. Learned after that you never stop moving, show interest or that you have money.

>>92276558
This is something I hate when I go out of state. People want to act like NYC is some amazing place to live but hell no it's not. It's expensive, the transit system is way too shitty and don't get me started on the rise in homeless we're getting now.
>>
>>92275721
80/90s kid here

While I don't know what you mean by "Cool", yes NY used to be just like that back than. I'd like to say that people didn't just randomly break into modern day musical number, but they did. However the ones that would sing/ perform would do it for tips. It's how they would make a living.

I saw this one middle aged lady once dress up as a living doll. She had a radio next to her, and she would move, and dance the way a doll would. She was pretty good, and people would stop to watch her. The moment the song was over people who had stopped to watch started walking away. I remember her saying "Hey now you watched you can give a tip." while holding a hat in her hand for people to put the money into.

I think they called the street performers
>>
>>92276731
I think those people just never visited a place like NYC before, or the reality of it has never hit them. After vising there I grew a new found appreciation for the welcoming and friendly personality of everyone in my town, and the small amount of stores in comparison makes me appreciate being able to go towns that have stores that I may not be used to more.
>>
>>92276900
street performers aren't exclusively a NYC thing
>>
>>92277047
Well than if he meant to ask if NY looked like that in the 80s than the answer would be yes. It looked dirty in the animated film, and it was dirty in real life. Again I don't exactly know what he means by "Cool" tho.
>>
>>92277004
I think living in a smaller town is great because everyone in the big cities are always in such a hurry it's insane.

besides, you can order just about anything online these days and get it delivered to your front door
>>92277278
I see

I'm guessing it's not getting any less dirty
>>
I'm actually pretty excited about the crime and homelessness going up again because it might mean the rent goes down.
>>
>>92275535
New York now is just a gentrified playground for the rich.
>>
>>92277488
>>92277544
but what do you think about the movie Oliver and Company?
>>
>>92277488
Yeah I heard that's already happening in some areas in Manhattan and Queens. Brooklyn's rent prices are going up now though. Alot of people are leaving NYC for the South.
>>
>>92277760
I just watched it a couple of days ago and loved it. I wish Disney didn't ignore everything from the 80's, you hardly hear anything about it or The Great Mouse Detective.
>>
>>92277760
yiff-TASTIC!
>>
>>92278037
It's a good movie. I think the reason it's overlooked is because it didn't have all that many good songs in it. For comparison, everyone knows at least one song from Lion King, namely Hakuna Matata or To Be King
>The Great Mouse Detective
oh yeah, that one had Vincent Price in it as the villain! it's not called Great for no reason
>>
>>92278249
Have you ever watched House of Mouse? I used to watch it as a kid and they seemed to have everything there, all but everything from the 80's era. I never really knew about some of the movies until my teens, never saw them anywhere and even the direct to video sequels that some of their franchises got for product recognition largely ignored that era too.
>>
>>92278339
>Have you ever watched House of Mouse?
Never heard of it

I watched mostly M rated movies as a kid because I was edgy
>>
>>92276143
>in just one day visiting there

Jesus Christ dude, what were you doing?

I've lived in NYC for most of my life and people have only ever tried to rip me off.

I don't even know anyone who has been assaulted, raped, etc. and I don't live in some expensive ass gentrified part of the city, either.

Hell, even friends of mine who live in areas with high incidences of violence and murder have never been in direct danger themselves.
>>
>>92278477
It was basically all of the characters from the animated films in a club watching Mickey Mouse cartoons. I don't think they'll be able to do anything like that again due to the transition to CGI, kids growing up now won't really have a show with so much nostalgia in it.
>>
>>92278493
>I've lived in NYC for most of my life
so you know the ropes

outsiders don't
>>92278584
There's only a Christmas special with Jiminy Cricket as host airing here, that's the only time they show old Disney cartoons.
>>
>>92275535
Haha, I remember when I was a kid thinking NYC was this magical wonderland. Then I visited it...multiple times...
>>
That voice sounds very familiar, but I'm afraid to guess because I feel like I'm going to be wrong. Is that Bruce Springsteen?
>>
>NYC isn't this cool is it?
If you're tourist then probably but if you live there its shit. Cartoons heavily romanticize certain places.
>>
>>92278967
This. My sister lived in NYC for 2 years, as did my cousin, and both left saying they never want to live there again. Super expensive, and you're always living in apartments next to other people so you either have to be silent as shit or deal with noisy neighbors.
>>
>>92277760
I was crazy about it as a kid, but I've never revisited it now that I'm older to see how it holds up.
>>
>>92277933
Brooklyn has been gentrified into oblivion. It's a total shitshow of yuppies, faggot Millennials, and rich foreigners. When I lived in NYC I used to call it "Hipster Disneyland."
>>
>>92278339
Wrong. They had a gag with Basil and his partner. Ratguy was in it too.
>>92278584
I was people from cartoons too. I remember the identical sisters who made up their own baseball team in the crowds in one episode.
>>
>>92278967
based on this thread it's seeming more and more unlikely that I'm ever going to visit NYC

all I need to know about NYC I learned from watching Seinfeld, anyway
>>92279047
>Ratguy
That's Ratigan!

Also, I am not a rat!
>>
Chicago's better.
>>
>>92275535
>2:09

OwO
>>
>>92275535
Needs more homeless people, police officers, random performance artists trying to scam you, traffic, piles of garbage bags, poor musicians, pissy men in business suits. Well, they got the dogs right. Also, they need dirtier and smellier streets. There you go, a lot less colors too. NYC fag here.
>>
>>92279079
>based on this thread it's seeming more and more unlikely that I'm ever going to visit NYC
Oh, go on and visit it. It's a fun place to go to and it has a lot of character and culture. Just don't move there thinking you'll get Sex in the City
>>
>>92279223
Oh man, you just reminded me of my school trip there, and this one guy just kept following me trying to sell me this CD, and eventually I bought it so he would leave me alone.

I plugged it in and it sounded like someone was bashing a garbage can and swearing
>>
>>92278967
>play Persona 5
>it makes Toyko look like a crowded shit hole
If you live anywhere long enough you start to see the cracks. I've been to Tokyo and it is a shit hole of hunched over goblins who spend half their lives in subway trains
>>
>>92279281
>eventually I bought it so he would leave me alone.
you're part of the problem
>>
>>92279223
Manhattanfag confirmed.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.