[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't think this would actually work. I mean I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 8

File: physics.gif (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
physics.gif
3MB, 640x360px
I don't think this would actually work. I mean I'm no physicist but where does the backward force come from?
Once the flashlight is in midair, it has the vector of its momentum from the throw+spin, and the vector of gravity, maybe a little bit of wind resistance. Why would it stop in midair and then go back the way it came? There can't be a centrifugal force (yes yes I know that's a misnomer) because nothing is directing it in a circular motion at that point. It's even explicitly stated in the episode that the floor of the room isn't spinning.
Sure it's "just a cartoon", but it draws way too much attention to this impossible trajectory, so I can't ignore that like I would a sight gag that lasts two seconds.
>>
>>92246525

Yeah, they fucked up. I don't know why nobody pointed out that this is absolutely not how physics works.
>>
File: enigma.gif (435KB, 384x288px) Image search: [Google]
enigma.gif
435KB, 384x288px
They drive home their fuck up by having Steven be absolutely fine once he got toward the center though
>>
>>92246525
It's a cartoon you autist
>>
>>92246648
I mean, that could be explained by Steven's gem adapting to the change in forces.

I know that the moon episode says he doesn't, but who knows, maybe he's developing more gem powers.
>>
>>92246648
That's because Steven touched the thing that wasn't spinning and stopped spinning.
The flashlight was still spinning.
I'm going to draw something for you to demonstrate what was happening.
>>
>>92246895
Pointing out that a joke reliant on physics breaks physics is not autistic. Although someone who nitpicks it might be. Laughing at the joke however, does make the laugher stupid.
>>
File: Centripetal_force_diagram.png (50KB, 596x500px) Image search: [Google]
Centripetal_force_diagram.png
50KB, 596x500px
>>92247742
That's not how momentum works.
>>
>>92247910
No, you'll see what I'm talking about. Doug's "throw it at an angle" idea was the correct one, and from the perspective of Doug what was shown would be what happened.
>>
>>92247954
You said "the flashlight was still spinning", meaning you think the flashlight somehow had curved momentum and would continue to follow a curved path until something made it go straight.
>>
>>92248040
It still had the instantaneous spin velocity when Doug threw it so it missed the center console, but it looked like it fell away. This doesn't work if the console is actually not spinning as was shown several seconds later. Basically cartoons are retarded and for babies.
>>
>>92248088
So to be clear, you are NOT claiming it was correct to show the flashlight stopping in midair and then going backward, right?
>>
File: physics, bitch.png (19KB, 476x493px) Image search: [Google]
physics, bitch.png
19KB, 476x493px
>>92248135
I am in fact claiming that was correct, from the perspective of Doug. Contemplate, for a moment, the distance d between the flashlight and the console as the flashlight travels along its path. You will quickly realize that this distance rapidly shrinks in the beginning, but slows as it approaches the midpoint of its arc, before slowly growing as it passes the console, then quickly growing as the angle of d and the flight path increases.
>>
>>92248253
>from the perspective of Doug
I'm asking from the perspective of the console as shown here >>92246525
>>
>>92248311
Is the console spinning as shown during aforementioned joke or stationary as is shown moments later when Steven jumps towards it?
>>
>>92248334
I assume it is stationary because there was dialogue stating it is.
Would there actually be a moment when, from the reference frame of the stationary console, the flashlight's linear momentum is 0?
>>
>>92248377
No, Doug fucking whiffed
>>
>>92248392
Then the OP image is wrong and that's the ONLY thing I'm claiming.
>>
>>92248452
If the console was spinning then exactly what was shown would have happened, so they were halfway there.
>>
File: 1494390628226.png (22KB, 476x493px) Image search: [Google]
1494390628226.png
22KB, 476x493px
>>92248482
How?
>>
File: 1408049131725.gif (1MB, 278x149px) Image search: [Google]
1408049131725.gif
1MB, 278x149px
I assumed there was cartoonish embellishment involved and didn't think too hard about it.

It's sensible to be concerned about people drawing wrong conclusions but I don't even know enough about physics to do that, I don't have the vocabulary to form incorrect notions about what the scene is meant to represent.
>>
>>92248723
I don't know what you're trying to say here. The perspective of a spinning console is the same perspective of that of Doug.
>>
File: oiljx5gHWP1t6rt3o.png (13KB, 512x144px) Image search: [Google]
oiljx5gHWP1t6rt3o.png
13KB, 512x144px
>>
>>92246525
objects accelerate towards the center within in a rotation force!
what is this shit
what is centripetal acceleration!
>>
>>92249074
Yes, Doug and Steven and Connie were accelerating towards the center. The flashlight was not accelerating at all, discounting gravity (because we're looking at it from the top) and air resistance (because fuck that shit)
>>
>>92246621
It really didn't help that "oh no, the laws of physics!" was literally the punchline for it. Why would the crewniverse even have a meta joke like that when they themselves clearly have no idea how it works?
>>
>>92249594

It really boggles my mind that a cartoon like this takes thousands of hours of collaborative effort to produce and air, and shit like this still happens. I love SU but it's full of some pretty bad fuckups that could have been avoided if someone along the line just said "this looks wrong."

I bet if you compared the list of major consistency or animation errors in Homestar Runner to Steven Universe, SU's ratio of errors to episodes would be larger by far. That's really weird when you consider that HR was made by two guys in their spare time. I think something is wrong with the production pipeline of SU. They either have no editors whatsoever or Sugar is trying to be the editor for everything and not catching a lot of mistakes.
>>
>>92248966
/thread
>>
>>92246525
They thought it would work exactly like a YoYo.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.