[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bojack is fully capable of being a nice person. We see this many

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 1492144650976.jpg (29KB, 383x316px) Image search: [Google]
1492144650976.jpg
29KB, 383x316px
Bojack is fully capable of being a nice person. We see this many times throughout the show.

But then he's a complete narcissist douchebag other times. It's almost like two separate characters.

Doesn't it feel a little cheap to glue a soft guy and a selfish prick together to garner sympathy from the audience?
>>
>>92220524

He has to try to be nice. It's not easy for him to do. His natural state is selfishness. That's why he's compelling; the audience is never sure if he's going to try or not. Sympathy is not the goal, it's a product of this. You aren't SUPPOSED to sympathize with all of Bojack's actions, but you want to, because you want him to always try to be better. But that isn't what he does.
>>
>>92220669
Half the show he's talking about what a lost cause he is and indulging in gluttonous hedonism and the other half he's suddenly introspective and regretful. I'm just asking for consistency.
>>
>>92220890
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bipolar_disorder
>>
>>92220890
characters are never allowed to be hypocrites, even when its extremely obvious they are and the point of the show is that they are a hypocrite
>>
File: 1494261110116.jpg (147KB, 308x441px) Image search: [Google]
1494261110116.jpg
147KB, 308x441px
>>92221117
Don't be so hard on the lad. He probably still thinks Punisher is the only sane man in the Marvel universe, instead of a heavily traumatized, maladjusted individual.
>>
>>92221117
Except he's the source of his destructive behavior and could easily turn it off if he's as self-aware as the show makes out.
>>
>>92221270
you've never known someone with mental issues like depression or >>92221058, have you?
>>
>>92221319
I have but I don't see the same self-awareness in those individuals.
>>
>>92221378

You've never made a mistake, forgotten about it, then made the same mistakes later on?

I'm sure for people like you and your friends, who are perfectly rational, the show must make no sense.
>>
>>92221446
Bojack isn't like those toxic people. He's half that. That's exactly why he's popular. He has half the mind of a self-conscious softy so the audience can connect and half the mind of a neurotic drunk to drive the story forward.

It's not a true character.
>>
>>92221632
you have a really black and white view of this, I don't know how to better explain it other than say that depression (or whatever illness bojack is supposed to specifically have) affects people in different ways - it could be that bojack's character has periods where his depression is far worse, resulting in his uncaring attitude towards others.
>>
People think Bojack has good writing? It's really forced and shallow

The character of neurotic depressed middle aged guy is a stereotype. It feels like lost in translation for dumb mouthbreathers
>>
>>92221632

No, this is a completely human thing. To berate yourself one second for doing this stupid thing you did, but then do it again once you're in the moment. Especially for people with depression.

Obviously it's exaggerated because it's a fucking cartoon with talking animals but the core concept is what is getting people.
>>
>>92221724
thanks for the input, /co/ntrarian
>>
>>92220524 (You)
>>92221270 (You)
>>92221378 (You)
>>92221632 (You)
>>92221724 (You)
>>
>>92221171
he can be both
>>
>>92222016
Yeah that's all me and that should be obvious. Not sure what your point is.
>>
>>92222129
>>92222016
Scratch that, the last one wasn't me.
>>
>>92222048
If Punisher was really sane, he'd go through some experiments to give himself super powers before charging into battle.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.