[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Hub city still the worst villain/place in comic books? I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 7

File: 1189124730689.jpg (22KB, 300x429px) Image search: [Google]
1189124730689.jpg
22KB, 300x429px
Is Hub city still the worst villain/place in comic books?

I was just re-reading O'Neil question and jesus fuck, it always surprises me what a fucking rotten shithole it is.
>>
I would count the Crossed Univierse as worse.

Fun thing. Everything shitty about Hub city is based on a real event in the area.
>>
File: 1462290243988.jpg (23KB, 260x260px) Image search: [Google]
1462290243988.jpg
23KB, 260x260px
>>92214502
>"Always wanted to slice me a hunka nigger" guy is a real person
>>
>>92214502
Wait, did they ever reveal which city was it based on?
I remember it was a running 'gag' in the letters page, people trying to guess
>>
>>92214733
Hub city is based on ST. Louis during the early 90's iirc
>>
File: Question - Belching Tiger.jpg (575KB, 1185x961px) Image search: [Google]
Question - Belching Tiger.jpg
575KB, 1185x961px
>>92213924
It got name-dropped in a couple of comics, but far as I know it just hasn't been widely featured anywhere, so it's still up in the air. So yeah.
... hey /co/, did you hear the one about the Hubbie and the hooker?
>>
>>92214770
regular or east st louis?
>>
>>92215015
Hub City is in Illinois so East.
>>
File: 1407247305313 - Copy.jpg (577KB, 1280x1979px) Image search: [Google]
1407247305313 - Copy.jpg
577KB, 1280x1979px
The classic.
>>
File: IMG_2459.png (132KB, 350x340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2459.png
132KB, 350x340px
>>92215727
>>
>>92214502
even the dead baby?
>>
>>92214581
Hey, at least in the comic version, the guy didn't try to fuck the stab wound afterwards.

>>92215929
Yes. And the one about the hospital that told women they miscarried and sold their babies aftewards. That's real too.

East St Louis makes the rounds regularly on WorldStar for good reason.
>>
Gotham is still worse.

Hub City is a hell, but only because the mayor is a drunk and the local fundamentalist preacher wants everything to be horrible to hasten the apocalypse after the mayor (who he wanted to groom to one day become President) turned out to be a worthless shit.

Gotham has serial killers, keeps sending Joker to the insane asylum after committing mass murder, has a police department that is corrupt as shit, various costumed sociopaths running around, not to mention the fact that it was nearly destroyed with an earthquake and plague.

Hellfire, Central City has it stated IN CANON that the local police forensic lab ROUTINELY FRAMES INNOCENT MEN FOR CRIMES during the years after Barry was killed!!!!!

Hub City can't compare to those hellholes.....
>>
>>92214770
>>92215067
I live in St. Louis and have been to East Stl. Ask me anything.

Funnily enough it's known because that is the only place we can go for strippers.
>>
File: Question 39.jpg (835KB, 1200x1850px) Image search: [Google]
Question 39.jpg
835KB, 1200x1850px
>>92217217
To me the main difference between Hub and Gotham is that Gotham, for all its extreme fucked up villainy, still has beacons of unbreakable hope. The batfamily, Gordon, the Major Crimes Unit, and so on. There's an infrastructure in place, such as it is. It's a beaten, battered, busted up place, but it refuses to fully give in and still has undoubtedly good people fighting the good fight in it.
Hub, by comparison, is the city that gave up. At the start of O'Neil's run there are literally no honest cops at all in the entire city. Their lone good policeman is an absolute scumbag who is always inches away from relapsing. Their mayor is a drunken non-entity, and even when he's replaced with one of the maybe half dozen of people who actually want Hub City to clean up its act, she has none of the support or infrastructure Gotham has, no Wayne Enterprises to bankroll her, and is reduced to super shady deals with absolute bastards. And their masked vigilante is an insecure, conflicted guy with no powers, no special equipment, no network of agents to work with, who ultimately gives up on his city and gets out because he realizes it WILL kill him if he stays.
The big difference between the evils of Gotham and the evils of Hub is that the former are more spectacular, devastating and bizarre, but the latter are more banal, more low-key, but infinitely more preponderant. Crime in Gotham is by and large the domain of gimmicked madmen, even in their serial killers. But crime in Hub is everywhere, an inescapable fact of life embedded deep into every single citizen. It's the banality of evil as an everyday occurrence in a city that no longer bothers to even look like it cares.

>>92217282
Has it actually gotten any better over time or is it still as horrible as they paint it?
>>
>>92217554
Worse. It's basically a ghost town now with entire blocks barricaded off to deter people from driving down it so gangs don't rob them. Half the city is dead, the police cruiser never move, prostitution is all but legal, and all the buildings are run down.
>>
>>92217646
Jesus christ

>>92217554
This is pretty spot on, Hub city always feels way too fucking real and hopeless, like the very city is fucking evil somehow, in Gotham there's always people having hope and working to make the best of it somehow.
>>
File: Question by Samnee 01.jpg (201KB, 930x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Question by Samnee 01.jpg
201KB, 930x1280px
>>92217646
Jesus fuck. I knew they still hold one of the highest, if not the highest murder rate in the country, but this is the first time I hear about the barricaded blocks.

>>92217776
And it's not even a supernatural kind of evil, like the various Gothoademons and restless spirits and undead fucks that every now and then pop out. There is no otherworldly excuse for Hub's evil, no easy way to explain how an entire city just gives up like that. It's a purely human sort of evil, which makes it that much more terrifying. Especially when you see what it was based on.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.