[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So /co/, what are your current thoughts on the American animation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: marquee.jpg (92KB, 1200x579px) Image search: [Google]
marquee.jpg
92KB, 1200x579px
So /co/, what are your current thoughts on the American animation industry as a whole? What do you feel is lacking? How do you feel the last few years of films+shows has been in comparison to previous eras? Do you think we're at a high point or low point?
>>
>>92094109
I say it's been pretty alright these past few years. Experimentation is still around, networks are prospering, and streaming is a decent boon to the industry.
Creativity has hit a bit of a snag, though, mainly in style.
>>
It's easier than ever for new artists to get exposed and make a name for themselves. Serialized storytelling is opening exciting new avenues of storytelling. Pretty much the only thing that woukd make it better would be more action cartoons and mature cartoons, and Samurai Jack might lead to just that.
>>
Animation is doing well. Shows have become more timeless by the 2000's and most shows don't rely on being cool and hip so much. In terms of movies, they've been good but Pixar is slipping in quality and steam works is dead
>>
>>92095984
How is Dreamworks dead?
>>
>>92096183
>Katz sold it
>Layoffs after every movie
>Have been barely breaking the $400 mil mark except for Dragons 2
>Canned two projects in one year
>Shut down of one major studio
>Studio in China is failing
>>
>>92096183
Have you seen their movie recently?
>trolls
>the boss baby
>home
>penguins of Madagascar
These are garbage films with cliche messages, and not the studio that was a parody of cliches
>>
>>92094109
It's on an uphill trend, but it could still use some improvement. "nerd culture" has opened more young adults to enjoying the medium which has resulted in some good work. There's some nice experimentation with storytelling going on.

The biggest problem is that while there are some exceptions pushing the boundaries, we're still stuck in this stigma of cartoons being for children unless their super raunchy adult comedies. Also we're still genuinely trying to figure out how to write good female characters without relying on quirkiness.
>>
>>92096367
You know things are bad when Illumination makes a better jukebox musical than your studio.
>>
>>92096367
I liked Trolls...
>>
>So /co/, what are your current thoughts on the American animation industry as a whole?

It's amazing if you're a little kid who loves Spongebob, Disney and all the talking animal movies or someone who likes "mature" cartoons like South Park, Family Guy, Rick and Morty etc.

If you want more than that then you're either gonna have to watch anime or wait years for Cartoon Network or Nick to put out a plot show that doesn't treat kids like retards.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.