[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Imagine being a kid in a culture where all good entertainment

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 8

File: img_0300_2.jpg (187KB, 602x773px) Image search: [Google]
img_0300_2.jpg
187KB, 602x773px
Imagine being a kid in a culture where all good entertainment aimed at kids has been taken over by adults. There's nothing special about your childhood. You consume the exact same entertainment that adults do. The only difference is that you have less power, and you're not skilled or mature enough to effectively create your own content.
>>
>>92093938
ok, I imagined it.
now what?
>>
>>92093938
You mean every generation?
>>
>>92093938
Honest question, are you sheltered?
>>
>>92093964
How does it make you feel?

>>92093965
In the 90s and early 2000s kids had video games and cartoons to themselves and dominated them.
>>
>>92093938
Imagine whining less and contributing content more
>>
>>92093938
>there's nothing special about your childhood because the TV and Vidya are bad

I'm not really digging the implications here.

You realize that these things, these shallow baubles, should be a peripheral part of a child's life, right?
>>
>>92094079
It's 2017 anon
>>
>>92093938
The childhood of kids today isn't defined by cartoons written by calarts grads. It's defined by youtubers and other e-celebrity personalities.

All of which, anyone over the age of like 15, with the exception of the most autistic of individuals, can't fucking stand.

So, no, I'd still say that kids are going to have their own exclusive entertainment for the next couple generations at least.
>>
>>92094016
It doesn't make me feel anything.
I was born in 1999 and I grew up liking things that adults definitely did and still do like. Why am I supposed to care about that?
>>
>>92094016

>2 mediums were focused on children

How is that a good thing?
>>
>>92094016
>In the 90s and early 2000s kids had video games and cartoons to themselves and dominated them.

It wasn't though. There's always been loser NEETs, but thanks for showing us your age.
>>
>>92093938

There's still stuff for kids. What are you talking about?
>>
>>92094016
>how does it make you feel?
like an adult
not only now i'm in the same page as the people i want to be like
and since it's tv that shapes kids and not vice-versa i've already been conditioned into liking it

but it's also quality content that does much more than just fueling my "adhd"
>>
>>92094199
>The childhood of kids today isn't defined by cartoons written by calarts grads. It's defined by youtubers and other e-celebrity personalities.
I think that was the fucking point.
>>
>>92093938
Kids care abou vidya now, why do you think all the underage b&s browse /b/
>>
>>92094248
But it was ONLY loser NEETs. Those people weren't parents, and weren't making decisions for the family.

>>92094266
Maybe there is now but it's fading out of existence.

>>92094299
Doesn't it bother you being an inferior version of a grown human?
>>
>>92094489
>Kids care abou vidya now
Kids always cared about "vidya". It used to be ONLY kids and neets, but now it's parents too, and they've hijacked the control.
>>
>>92093938
My dad introduced me to comics, traditional gaming and other tentpoles of "geek" culture. Kids actually love it when adults they respect share something they enjoy with them.
>>
>>92094536
U wot

Kids spend all day flashy lights on online games, they don't give a fuck about adults and adults aren't gona infouence a triple AAA game kids loves to play

You think cartoon are no longer a kid thing now because 'lol adults' instead of thinking for 2 seconds and realizimg the fact that interest in animation is primarily adult now because kids stopped watching tv and in fact, animation in general.

The exact same thing happened with comics 20 years ago.

Lods are attacked to flashy lights. Vidya provides the best false one and youtibe the best love action ones
>>
>>92094016
I don't think you've ever analyzed why Star Wars got a revival, if you really believe that.
>>
>>92094513

>Maybe there is now but it's fading out of existence.

What? The biggest animation channels are still for kids.
>>
>>92094641
I'm pretty sure adults play video games too.
>>
but good media isn't aimed specifically at children, it's something both can enjoy

is this bait
>>
>>92094772
And it doesn't influence kids in the slightest

More demographics mean more show variety
>>
File: 1491025107575.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1491025107575.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>92093938
>implying kids deserve their own forms of entertainment
>>
Why would a kid care? If a child likes a TV show they would just want to watch it no giving two shits if it's good or bad or how adults feel about it
>>
>>92094747
TV in general is fading out of existence, let alone TV animation.
>>
>>92094513
>Doesn't it bother you being an inferior version of a grown human?
that's childhood for you lad.
>>
>>92093938
Maybe they should make their own fun instead of being braindead goys-in-training.
>>
>>92094948
Childhood used to be special, but today...

>Video games are no longer aimed at kids
>Cartoons are no longer aimed at kids
>Most YouTube channels aren't aimed at kids, and the ones that are suck
>Kids don't play outside or partake in anything that doesn't involve electronics anymore

The entire bane of a modern child's existence is waiting to become older.
>>
>>92095078
>Cartoons are no longer aimed at kids
Technically they still are, it's just that adults have hijacked them, and TV in general is less popular.
>>
>>92093938
Imagine being a kid and pursuing entertainment by going outside and playing with the rest of the kids in the neighboorhood.
>>
>>92095195
>Implying there even are other kids to play with.
>>
>>92095078
Kids entertainment exist you retard. The only difference is that not everything is and people are starting to learn that. My mom brought me resident evil 4 when I was in 2nd grade since they assumed every game was for kids. It gave me nightmares growing up until I was probably 11 or 12. Since parents now have a similar story they try to make sure their child doesn't have that moment or if they don't the kid would have been left alone watched by screens anyway
>>
>>92095078
I really hope you kill yourself.
>>
>>92095078
Those points don't even agree with each other. Do you just want to talk, anon? There are better boards, and sites, for that.
>>
>>92095078
>The entire bane of a modern child's existence is waiting to become older.

Are you an alien? All I wanted to do when I was a kid was grow up.
>>
>>92094016
Nintendo still exists
>>
>>92095368
>My mom brought me resident evil 4 when I was in 2nd grade since they assumed every game was for kids. It gave me nightmares growing up until I was probably 11 or 12.
That's your problem. Most kids are able to handle those kinds of games.
>>
>>92095600
And even they've stopped being aimed at kids.
>>
File: Buster_Brown_valentine1.jpg (126KB, 600x466px) Image search: [Google]
Buster_Brown_valentine1.jpg
126KB, 600x466px
I feel like kids still have a lot to be thankful for if we're going to be comparing generations.
>>
>>92094199
>All of which, anyone over the age of like 15, with the exception of the most autistic of individuals, can't fucking stand.
That's figuratively true.

It's literally false. Those channels are largely dominated by teenagers and adults. This is a serious discussion, and exaggerated facts don't cover the truth.
>>
>>92093938
>Imagine being a kid in a culture where all good entertainment aimed at kids has been taken over by adults.

They still have everything on Nickelodeon.

>There's nothing special about your childhood.

Minecraft, Pokemon and Let's Plays on Youtube.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not special or good to them. Baby boomers did this to us. Don't do it to the kids coming after us.
>>
>>92096635
>Minecraft, Pokemon and Let's Plays on Youtube.
None of those are exclusively for kids, therefore proving the point.
Well, technically Pokemon is aimed at kids, but it's mostly adults who play it.
>>
>>92093938

but sad adults have always dominated

think tiny toons fandom
>>
>>92093938
I would've loved it if my parents liked the same stuff as I did when I was a kid.
>>
File: 1435764230292.png (170KB, 338x355px) Image search: [Google]
1435764230292.png
170KB, 338x355px
>>92094016
Ok even ignoring the early attempts during the 60-80s the 90s were when cartoons aimed specifically at adults became a viable market.

>South Park
>Beavis and Butthead
>King of the Hill
>The Critic
>Family Guy
>Duckman
>Spawn
>The Maxx
>Dr.Katz
>Aeon Flux

These are just off the top of my head.
>>
Wow, so many people missing the point this thread.

>"But today's kids have video games and YouTube and Minecraft and other stuff"
Yes, and those things are primarily aimed at and dominated by adults, hence proving the OP's point.
>>
>>92095195
The sad reality is a lot of parents don't even let their kids out anymore because the wide availability of nationwide news makes them think their kid is going to get kidnapped in the middle of a mass shooting while smoking pot. Used to be able to play out in the woods until midnight on the weekends but now there are people I know who won't even let their teenage kid stay right down the street past 7PM on a Friday.
>>
>>92097319
There's tons of kid's entertainment online.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdnElPZljQM
>>
>>92097264
Those shows didn't replace kid's shows. They were adult shows that happened to be animated.
>>
>>92097401
And kids don't watch it because it's shit.

The video you posted looks more like a parody.
>>
>>92097410
And neither do the adult shows now. Just because you're not interested in all the kid's shows that air on CN and Nick these days doesn't mean they suddenly don't exist.
>>
>>92097435
>And kids don't watch it because it's shit.

The 1,000,000+ views say otherwise.

I only posted it as a joke due to the absurdity of it and this thread as a whole.
>>
>>92097319
Hell, most of the counter-examples actually prove the point this thread was trying to make. That today's kids consume the exact same entertainment as adults, and being a kid is just an inferior version of being an adult.

Whether or not this will have any effect whatsoever is for the future to decide, but there's no denying kids don't have their own culture like they used to.
>>
>>92097440
As others have pointed out, TV as a whole is fading out of existence.
>>
>>92097648
>"Kids today are consuming the the same entertainment as adults"
>*posts examples of entertainment aimed at adults that kids consume*
>>
I keep learning more about these whole swaths of stuff that is basicalluy kid oriented media that I'm totally unaware of as an adult.

It's just younger kids now are directly on the internet rather than TV. It's a change of the medium.

Also, all the kids media people loved during the 90s had a lot of adult stuff. People bring that up all the time about why they liked those shows.
>>
>>92093989
Anon, I want you to watch this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEOkYzN-xaA

Now shut the fuck up and Netflix and chill with Rick and Morty.
>>
>>92097992
>It's just younger kids now are directly on the internet rather than TV. It's a change of the medium.
*headdesk*
>>92097319
>>92097648
>>92097912
>>
>>92098259

A lot of those things aren't aimed at adults, many of these channels and content creators are entirely focused on children . Unless by being on the internet is inherently aimed at adults in which case, that is true of almost every medium ever and there was nothing different in the 90s and 2000s about that.
>>
>>92098156
Today's kids don't have a childhood, just an early adulthood.
>>
>>92094016
>In the 90s and early 2000s kids had video games and cartoons to themselves and dominated them.

This just screams "naive 19-20 y/o having deep thoughts". Adults watched cartoons back then too.

>>92094513
No it really wasn't. Nerd culture is more accepted now so that's why you hear about parents proudly being nerds on facebook and shit. They did it before but were more quiet about it.
>>
>>92098328
PewDiePie and other Let's Players aren't aimed at kids. Many of them (including PDP himself) aren't even appropriate for kids.
Minecraft wasn't made for kids. It started off being for older users, but the age gradually sunk over time until it attracted kids (and then even younger kids).
Most of today's video games aren't aimed at kids, and the ones that are, are usually inferior.

Those are the three most common examples. Which ones are you thinking about?

Preschool channels, and terrible channels that don't have a following, don't count.
>>
>>92095078
>Childhood used to be special, but today...
>>Most YouTube channels aren't aimed at kids, and the ones that are suck

I can tell you're a fucking teenager because of this shit.
>>
>>92098424
Why are you focusing on Youtube? Youtube wasn't a thing in the 90s or 2000s so you can't disparage what it is currently and try to point to that time as being somehow better in comparison. This literally sounds like the ranting of a 18-19 y/o. Anyone older than that remembers Youtube being new and just being music videos and bullshit. You are spoiled and the idea that there was a time when there was no Youtube is genuinely lost on you.
>>
>>92098352
So they're like great-grandpa instead of dad.
>>
>>92098524
Most of the examples cited are Let's Players and comedy shows.

In other words, CHANNELS AIMED AT ADULTS that end up attracting kids.
>>
>>92098352
Uh-huh...

I grew up during the 80s and 90s. Same shit; different decades.

Kids cartoons in the 1980s were shitty and made only to promote poorly made toys.

Cartoons in the 90s were all gross out humor and "being extreme" to get your parents to buy dumb exercise toy gimmicks for their kids.

Shows such as Ren and Stimpy, Cow and Chicken, Ah! Real Monsters, and Rocko's Modern Life featured adult situations, gross out humor, and sexual innuendos.

Also, adults are nothing more than children in hormone addled bodies.

The only thing that has changed is you, anon. You are now aware of it.
>>
What the fuck is kids' culture?
>>
>>92098849
Dexter's Laboratory
The Powerpuff Girls
Courage the Cowardly Dog
Johnny Bravo
Rugrats
Hey Arnold

Just from the top of my head...
>>
File: Flawless_Stone.jpg (20KB, 460x300px) Image search: [Google]
Flawless_Stone.jpg
20KB, 460x300px
>>92098902
Fuck if I know. I watched Absolutely Fabulous during my childhood.

I grew up with Patsy Stone as a role model.
>>
File: PISS_OFF.gif (219KB, 500x279px) Image search: [Google]
PISS_OFF.gif
219KB, 500x279px
>>92098979
Yes, what is your point? Somehow, the sacred cow you call a childhood is ruined because you grew up?
>>
>>92099076
It contradicts the idea that cartoons were "always" crap.
>>
>>92099119
Entertainment is subjective. It is impossible to debate objectivity in a medium that is purely subjective.
>>
>>92099227
Never mind, I misread the comment.

I think what they were actually saying is that the same thing happened in the 80s and 90s (I grew up in the 2000s).

That being said, kids actually went outside in those days, so they still had a childhood that wasn't an inferior version of adulthood.
>>
>>92099001
I ask because nothing named in this thread applies to any generation before late boomers. So did those people just didn't have a childhood because Nintendo was still producing toys and cards and HB Enterprises hadn't formed yet?
>>
>>92099348
Before the Internet and video games, kids actually went outside, and that was what they got their childhood from.

Nowadays, not only do kids not go outside anymore, but they only consume entertainment aimed at adults. Today's childhood is just an inferior version adulthood.

The bane of their existence is waiting to grow up.
>>
Entertainment specifically for kids is actually a fairly new phenomenon. Anything specifically considered "adult" entertainment involved sex, drinking, smoking, and gambling, mostly because we are derived from a heavily Puritan society and idolize childhood and innocence, purity and virginity, what have you. The very construct of "children's entertainment" is really just a marketing ploy to make money. Instead of one board game for everyone, you buy two - one for the adults, one for the kids. This carries over for any and all mediums. It's also why we have gendered marketing. Your precious childhood was been, and always has been, a social construct to make money and, knowingly or not, shelter children from "adult content."

What I'm saying here is that you're retarded.
>>
I suppose Minecraft would count as a childhood.

Yes, it was originally aimed at adults, but it's 2017 and the vast majority of adults have stopped playing it, so kids now have it to themselves.
>>
>>92099466
But before they add children's entertainment, kids actually went outside, so they actually had a childhood.
>>
>>92093938
Taste can be universal, anon. Adults are, after all, just grown up kids.
>>
>>92099348
In the 1960s they had Thunderbirds.

The protagonists drank alcohol (Scotch on the rocks, Martinis, Bourbon, and Vodka), smoked cigarettes habitually, and used guns to kill people.

No bullshit, the Tracy family used guns to kill the bad guys.
>>
>>92099423
What about all the kids who had to experience actual adulthood because of factors forcing them into a job at age 10 and such?
>>
>>92099543
No, they didn't. That is another lie created by the 1950s TV culture.

Kids were free slave labor.
>>
>>92099543
>had a childhood

What does this even mean? Everyone "has a childhood." And even if our society had perfect values in what is the objectively best entertainment for "childhood," that's only for the children who have that privilege, either through money, or parents who love them, or having parental guardians at all.

Childhood, or at least the childhood that you're talking about, is a fabrication, pure and simple.
>>
>>92099736
^This^
>>
>>92094832
You don't remember being a kid, do you? If you were a kid now your parents would know all the content of the shows you're watching and would be able to tell you what you can and can't watch and you couldn't just brush it off with lies because they watch your shit too. That would be the fucking lamest thing ever, I don't think you understand.

You know how /b/ used to have rules 1 and 2 and that whole 'muh secret club' mentality? Nearly all kids have that and it's important to them, it's important for them to have something just for them that adults don't know about.
>>
>>92099736
>>92099739
My niggas.
>>
>>92095078
Just give up, OP. They've all forgotten what it's like to be a kid and there's no point in trying to get through to them.

>>92096635
>Baby boomers did this to us

Yeah I don't remember my mum wanting to play Super Smash Bros, listen to Slipknot or watch South Park or Batman Beyond with me, anon. She was too busy with Oprah and Dr. Phil like parents are fucking supposed to be.
>>
>>92098754
Nah you were still bitching about youtube back here >>92095078. Youtube was brought up before anyone cited Lets Plays or Pewdiepie
>>
>>92099769
Wow, you sound like you were one spoiled brat.

You know what I did when I was a kid? I fucking hid in the bathroom cabinet so my dad wouldn't find me and hit me. You know what my friend was doing? Working under the table so her family would get by. And my own dad? He started working under the table at six so he could eat.

You need a fucking reality check, m8. Most kids have shitty childhoods and are forced to grow up fast.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
17KB, 480x360px
>>92093938
>You consume the exact same entertainment that adults do. The only difference is that you have less power, and you're not skilled or mature enough to effectively create your own content.

The beauty of this age, is that children now can actually do that. What's stopping a kid from writing/animating whatever he or she wants with the whole array of disposable digital tools?

The internet is crawling with cringy stuff on DeviantArt and Youtube. And sure, while some of it is made by deranged manchildren like Chris Chan or the guys behind the Pooh's Adventure wiki, you can actually find 10 year olds uploading crude animations to the internet and some of them being great.
Pic related was created by a 9-year old in 2008 and went viral for a while, Axe Cop is a concept designed by a 5 year old and drawn by his older bro, there's a few Lego and toy series animated by kids, the Spore community was teeming with creations made by people obviously under 14, etc.

>>92099543
What defines a "childhood", OP?
Going outside? By that logic, children running in fields in rural Bolivia or Zimbabwe have it better than those in Toronto, Tokyo or NYC.
I grew up in Mexico after the 1994 economy crash, and i would have killed to get a gaming console while growing up. I couldn't be outside after 6 pm because the streets were too dangerous, and most of my friends preferred to beat the shit out of each other in the local drug store arcade machines than playing soccer on the streets.

>>92099828
>Yeah I don't remember my mum wanting to play Super Smash Bros, listen to Slipknot or watch South Park or Batman Beyond with me, anon. She was too busy with Oprah and Dr. Phil like parents are fucking supposed to be.

"Supposed to be"?
Who the hell says that? Sounds more like you had a bad case of your mom not giving a rat's ass about spending quality time with you.
>>
>>92099769
I have no idea how anything you just described is new.
>>
>>92099769
You sound like someone who grew up in the suburbs with a mom and dad who gave you whatever you wanted and made you feel really special. If you think all kids have this mentality you need to get out of your bubble/basement. Kids back then did have parents watched out for what they viewed and didn't let them watch certain things. And not every fucking parent watches Adventure Time with their kids and stuff. The people you see on twitter and instagram being cool hip parents who play minecraft and take kids to comic stores are not the norm. They are the vocal minority.
>>
>>92099828
South Park is aimed at adults, but other than that I agree with you.
>>
>>92099543
So it isn't that media aimed at kids has been dumbed down or subverted in some way, it's that the very existence of such media undercuts the experience of childhood. Guess OP still sucks cocks.
>>
>>92099769
You know what secret shit kids watch that they don't want adults to watch? Sexual and violent shit. That was the shit you kept from your parents in the 90s-00s. And kids do the same thing now.
>>
>>92099861
PewDiePie and Let's Players are the most commonly cited examples whenever this topic is brought up.

In all honesty, though, if kids are watching PewDiePie as much as others believe, that says more about today's parents than anything. PDP isn't a kid-friendly channel. Similarly, GTA and Call of Duty are commonly cited as the video games most commonly played by kids. I really hope the assertions are exaggerated.
>>
>>92099938

>"Kids back then did have parents watched out for what they viewed and didn't let them watch certain things"
>calling other people sheltered

fucking kek, only soccer moms did that shit, most lower-middle class and white trash parents didn't give a shit about what their kids watched and if the other anon's childhood tastes in media is anything to go off, chances are he fits into that category.

>>92099870
>everyone should have a shit childhood because I did
>>
>>92099870
I'm the OP (the OP of this thread, not the person you're replying to). I had a shitty childhood too where I lived in constant fear of being brutally beaten. And that's the reason WHY I care about this topic so much. I want today's kids to have a better experience than I did.
>>
>>92099769
"The secret club mindset" usually involved trading stuff like playboy magazines, going to the friend who had the lax/uncaring parents and watching horror movies your parents wouldn't allow you to, or doing pranks and not wanting your parents to know who the fuck broke the neighbor's window with a baseball or scribbled profanities in someone's wall.

Hell, my 'secret' was collecting pokemon cards because my mom was a hardcore christian and wouldn't allow me to watch Pokemon because she heard it was satanic.
>>
File: hair.gif (829KB, 498x248px) Image search: [Google]
hair.gif
829KB, 498x248px
>>92099921
>Pic related was created by a 9-year old
that was a stunt by David OReilly (also made The External World and that glitch episode of Adventure Time)
>>
>>92100048
Well then, m8, we have the same goal. It isn't going to be achieved through the purification of children's entertainment, though. The only way better childhoods are going to happen is if more children are raised, you know, better.
>>
>>92093938
Well, sucks to be them

But frankly I don't give a shit

Fuck kids
>>
>>92099938
>The people you see on twitter and instagram being cool hip parents who play minecraft
Minecraft was originally aimed at adults. Then more and more people got into it, which included kids. Then it lost popularity with adults.

So an adult playing Minecraft isn't some cool parent subverting stereotypes. They're the fucking target audience.

I'm guessing the people who think Minecraft was *made* for kids are new to the Internet. If they were around in 2012 they wouldn't think that.
Thread posts: 107
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.