[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why were these shows so obsessed with torturing characters that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: BusterYakko.png (350KB, 500x375px)
BusterYakko.png
350KB, 500x375px
Why were these shows so obsessed with torturing characters that didn't deserve it?
>>
>that didn't deserve it
Opinions, oschminions.
>>
>>92027759
Side effect of 90's toons pushing back on the morals of80's toons
>>
>>92027759

Because they were created in the vein of Looney Tunes. LT were cynical and most of the characters were nuisances who tormented innocent people and always got away with it in the end. That was the purpose, to be a counterpoint to saccharine cartoon shorts like what Disney was pumping out.
>>
Because that's where humor is derived from
Comedy is an art lost on the younger generation, you people have no concept of it
Go look up episodes of Tough Crowd, it will do you good
>>
>>92027856
>>92027917
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZeRT21tqyE

Even then I still thought shit like this was going a little TOO dark
>>
>>92027856
This, except this mentality is only what plebs THINK Looney Tunes and 40s cartoons were like.

Operating off such a fundamental misunderstanding of classic cartoons is naturally going to create shallow imitations.
>>
>>92027856
I thought Looney Tunes made it a rule that the characters being "tortured" had to instigate it? I think Animaniacs tried to follow that rule too, to the point that Yakko even explained it to a kid viewer, or something like that.
>>
>>92027917
>>92028093
That's definitely the case. Nearly all of Bugs Bunny's cartoons (including the modern ones) all give Bugs a rival that forces him to retaliate against them. Any time Bugs himself was the instigator, not only would it be out of character, but he'd also end up losing (like with the race against the Cecil Turtle).

There was indeed a point where Yakko mentioned that the Warners try not to physically hurt people unless being instigated to, but with that show, the character that really gets the short end of the stick would probably be Buttons.
>>
It's called don't be a little bitch. They aren't fucking real. Fucking Millenials.
>>
>>92028001

Jesus Christ, how horrifying.
>>
>>92028121
There are fuzzy lines, though. Tom & Jerry ostensibly had a similar dynamic to a lot of these cartoons, but Jerry was basically a thief and a troublemaker, and almost always got Tom badly hurt or humiliated.
>>
>>92028855
Tom was trying to eat Jerry though.

People have become thieves and troublemakers for less.
>>
>>92027759
This looks like shit, you can tell Tokyo Movie Shinsha didn't animated this episode.
>>
>>92028885

Fuck off, TMS fag.
>>
"it's funny as long as it's doesn't happen to me"
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.