[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /co/ where do you stand on the philosophy that something

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

Hey /co/ where do you stand on the philosophy that something shouldn't be animate unless the material has something to gain from it? For instance would animating a completely mundane scenario from a realistic point of view be a waste?
>>
I stand that you can sit around debating that philosophy all day but what is actually animated won't depend shit on whatever answer you come up with.

The shit that will get drawn, animated, or turned into a comic will be done by those with the motivation to do it, regardless of whether it's a waste.
>>
>>92020480
Alright but we're on an image board. We're allowed to have pointless debates.
>>
You can't dictate what someone can create. Neither should you limit someone's interests on what they should watch.
>>
>>92020311
>something shouldn't be animate unless the material has something to gain from it
Let's zoom out and say film adaptations shouldn't be made unless the material has something to gain from it
>>
>>92020311
I'm of the belief that animation should take full advantage of the fact it's animating by not strictly adhering to reality
If someone wants a completely realistic portrayal of 1970s Romania I don't care but live action is better suited for that
>>
An image, regardless of it's rendering method is different, depending on how you do it. There are perfectly valid artistic reasons for choosing one method over the other.

As far as waste, that depends on how much the creators are willing to spend on it, no? We don't have arbitrary rules for any other art form regarding budget beyond afordability. Animation should be no different.

inb4 king of the hill.
>>
>>92021636
A lot of time the only thing to get from adapting a pice of media into a film is so mainstreams audiences get to know the property and of course the profit you get for releasing the product
>>
>>92020311
I actually had this debate with someone.
They were liking bojack horseman but outside of animal jokes, they felt it had no real reason it couldn't just be the older brother from arrested development acting on a stage. And yeah I was tempted to agree with them somewhat haven't finished watching the first season, so I can't speak with certainty.

But the argument I had against it is that animation (and by extension any drawn or artsy medium, as to include 3d and stop motion) has this uncanny ability to layer on caricature.

By which I mean, through an artists hand, sort of impart character visually a bit more than one would dealing with real people.

There is this bit in a will eisner book i've got where he goes into imparting "animal traits" to characters in order to imply or hint at their personality, snakey looking guy being sneaky, owl looking lady being a bit of a gawker. Basically animating or drawing allows someone to create a character and have them wear their personality on their sleeve.

You can simply create and curate someone's appearence more, in order to reflect their personality, rather than having to luck out and cast a mostly unmalleable human being.
>>
>>92021690
Or you could you make a comic about 1970 Romania or write a book, it´ll be at least cheaper
>>
>>92020311
Nah anything can be animated, and it'd hold up if that's what it was designed to be.
We can see a large gambit of settings from fantastical to mundane in any medium. Ultimately it'll come down to what the piece, and creator are trying to accomplish. It's true that animation does tend to favor the fantastic or exaggerated in one form or another but at the end of the day animation is a medium to be used. Like any other medium it can be used unconventionally and still work.
>>
>>92020311
a huge chunk of Death Note is just people talking and narrating

the anime became a big success because the animators and voice actors and sound directors were able to make these scenes feel so high energy despite how little action was going on

I take the potato chip AND EAT IT
>>
>>92022103
Bojack usually only gets huge animated scenes on the second to last episode each season, some may say that you could make those scenes on life action but i think it would lose some important aspects of the scenes
>>
>>92022103
It also allows for a separation of audience and character.
>>
>>92020311
Nah, that's a daft way of thinking - It's like saying there's no reason to paint a landscape or a person's portrait when you could take a photograph. It should be up to the creator what kind of art they want to make and in what medium. There doesn't need to be a reason for it.
>>
Animation should be done based on expenses
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.