[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is "Golden Age" Simpsons really as great as people

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: simpsons foot couch gag.png (354KB, 1189x891px) Image search: [Google]
simpsons foot couch gag.png
354KB, 1189x891px
Is "Golden Age" Simpsons really as great as people say? I've been watching some youtube uploads and while the jokes are mostly good, other aspects like episode pacing and character arcs seem really hit-and-miss.

I guess a good example of this would be Homer Defined. It just seemed the episode was a big waste of time.
>>
>>92012497
>It just seemed the episode was a big waste of time.
the best waste of time at that
>>
How can you be old enough to post on 4chan and have never seen classic Simpsons before now?
>>
You aren't comprehending just how big of a pop culture phenomenon and massive influence on animation that the Simpsons was in the early 90s.
>>
>>92012497
The only thing I feel has aged badly about early golden age simpsons is the really awkward animation and sound editing.
>>
>>92012735
Because Simpsons is 30 years old
>>
>>92012735
It's almost 30 fucking years old. Anons who were born during season 10 can use this site.
>>
>>92012497
I'm not sure what your point is when you say it was a big waste of time. The show is episodic, everything is a waste of time and very little carries over to other episodes.
>>
>>92012903
Delete this! Fucking delete this now! My skin is melting into ash! Delete!
>>
>>92012497
The pacing can be slow, especially in Seasons 1-3. Season 5 has the most wacky, fast-paced episodes of the first 8 seasons.
>>
>>92013009
>The pacing can be slow, especially in Seasons 1-3

They're very dense as well; a huge amount of stuff gets packed into 22 minutes. The show did get faster and more gag-driven in Season 5 when Dave Mirkin and new writers took over, the humor also got more direct and in-your-face.
>>
>>92012943
Homer Defined came off as a waste of time because

> the B plot with Bart and Milehouse goes nowhere
> Homer doesn't have an arc. Johnson says the fraud line and Homer's stuck like that for the rest of the episode.
> The episode just ends. No followup scene at the Springfield plant, no further interaction with Burns or Smithers, no reveal about the identity of the plant instructor.
>>
>>92013168
Not a bad episode but Season 3 has better. Homer Defined was one of the first episodes made after Al Jean and Mike Reiss took over as showrunners and they were still adjusting to the job.
>>
>>92013168
The ending constantly holds a saddening shadow of failure over this episode. Act 1 is a reasonable set up for the episode, but the aftermath jokes at the beginning of act 2, like the guy coming out of the closet with the woman, and him saying they'll hook up again during the next disaster, just seemed tacky. Furthermore the use of the dictionary poorly held the episode together in my opinion.

All in all, it wasn't a bad episode, but I am heavily critical of it.
>>
>>92013168

>Everything's gotta tie up in a neat little bow

Fuck people like you, next your going tell me it's gotta have a sound moral footing
>>
>>92012497
Early seasons suffer from that. Season 3-9 are the golden age but 3 and 4 have some wonky episodes

6 is the GOAT season
>>
>>92013409
I like Season 6 a lot, 7 has some of my favorite TV episodes period, and I like 9 enough. Should I bother with 8 and 10?
>>
>>92013338
> everything has to be tied up in a bow

This episode's plot was so simple there was no reason not for it to be.
>>
>>92013938
Don't bother with season 10 it's a waste of time
>>
>>92012903

the Simpsons has been on tv 10 times a week for the 30 years too so how's that an excuse?
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.