[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So is the Marvel Starlin stuff actually worth reading or is it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

So is the Marvel Starlin stuff actually worth reading or is it overhyped?

Noticed today that my local bookstore (which has a small section for comics and manga) has started stocking the early Starlin stuff for some reason.

In particular I found these 3

Captain Marvel: The Complete Collection
Warlock By Jim Starlin
Silver Surfer: Rebirth Of Thanos
>>
>>91940199
>has started stocking the early Starlin stuff for some reason.
Marvel's probably given bookstores an early heads up to get ready for those sales before Infinity War.
>>
>>91940199
>is the Marvel Starlin stuff actually worth reading
Always.
>>
>>91940199
Buy all of those books and read them.
>>
I remember finding Warlock to be trippy as fuck when I read the few issues I found as a kid.
>>
>>91940199
I've got and read the Complete Warlock trade, really liked it - bought it because a few years ago when I was first getting into comics seriously I read Infinity Gauntlet and all the Silver Surfer lead up (Rebirth of Thanos) and tie ins and enjoyed i.

Dunno about Captain Marvel, some of it was done before his Warlock stuff so it's by a younger, less-experienced Starlin, but then it's a also got later stuff like the 'Death of' graphic novel in there
>>
>>91940254
Space Jesus fighting himself shouldn't be any other way.
>>
>>91940263
Captain Marvel is where the story Starlin's cosmic books were telling starts, so it's a must-read.
>>
>>91940199
While you're at it, read Gruenwald's Quasar as well.

Universe building at it's finest.

Thank me later.
>>
>>91940331
Tell me more, never read Quasar.
>>
>>91940278
Oh I know, for me personally it's something I'm definitely going to pick up, but I'm really interested in the history of comics. I don't know what OP's tastes are, though.
>>
>>91940199
It was storytimed here a few months back. I was expecting a dry slog but it really did win me over during the main thanos conflict.

I haven't read any other silver age marvel cosmic but I now have the drive to do so.
>>
>>91940391
Basically, during Starlin's Infinity run, Gruenwald was writing Quasar, who was the successor of Captain Marvel.

Quasar stands out during the 90's because he was one of the pure heroes of the 80s-90s were everything was going edgy.
One of it's finest qualities is that it's pretty much an encyclopedia for Marvel cosmic, especially with Abstracts and other cosmic powerhouses.

If you haven't read anything by Gruenwald, I suggest that you do, the guy is the most underrated cape writer out there. He deconstructed the genre before the Watchmen were even a thing, he and Starlin built the cosmic scene continuing and expanding Ditko's work
>>
>>91940241
This
>>
>>91940199
>Captain Marvel: The Complete Collection
>Warlock By Jim Starlin

These books are essential /co/. Buy them now.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.