[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why reference a movie that your audience is guaranteed to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

File: maxresdefault.jpg (69KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
69KB, 1024x768px
Why reference a movie that your audience is guaranteed to have not seen?
>>
>>91889363
but I loved demolition man
>>
>>91889363
Parents watching with their children

Because they wanted to

Take your pick
>>
>>91889363
Kids probably haven't seen many movies, anon. Did you want there to be no references at all?
>>
>>91889373
Epic memeing, my friend.
>>
>>91889377
Yes, anon is hyper-autistic.
>>
>>91889363
>He says about the show made by the man who DEMANDS a Big Lebowski reference in anything he or his wife works on.
>>
>because you want to
> because it's fun
>because someone might notice
>because the reference is fun for the audience even if they don't get it (Samoorai was great)
>expand their culture if they're interested in knowing where it comes from
>>
>>91889425
wtf I hate gendy now
>>
>>91889363

Because why not?
>>
>>91889363
some jokes are worth bringing into the next decade
>>
>>91889445
Some jokes are so strong, they can even transcend lifetimes.
>>
File: Dalton singin in the rain.png (243KB, 624x401px) Image search: [Google]
Dalton singin in the rain.png
243KB, 624x401px
Like for example in The Ballad of the Daltons there is a sequence of Joe's dream where the whole joke is "remember that classic musicals? now are singed by Daltons"

Do kids nowadays could even understand this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsPgmgOz3Wo
>>
There's a movie with a black punk samurai talking shit to a real samurai?
>>
File: ppglebowski.jpg (106KB, 584x880px) Image search: [Google]
ppglebowski.jpg
106KB, 584x880px
>>91889425
that is Craig McCracken you stupid
>>
>>91889363

I dont remember the reference
>>
>>91890704
No wonder Craig is wasted now
>>
Let's be honest. Some folks cannot handle that a creator may put in a reference that is solely for themselves and not explicitly for every audience member. (Appropriate MST3K quote -not- listed to exactly make that point.)
>>
>>91889363
Because a well-executed reference adds to story if you understand it, but doesn't detract from it if you don't.

The art of the subtle reference is dead, because creators are shallow retards who just want to be like "HEY, REMEMBER THIS? LOOK AT IT AGAIN! HAHA, IT'S FUNNY THAT IT EXISTS AND WE BOTH ARE AWARE OF IT!!! SUCH GOOD WRITING!!!".
>>
>>91890932
I never watched MST3K. Explain.
>>
>>91890950
Name five references that would not fall into the latter category from any point of recorded history
>>
When I was a little kid I got the reference. HBO use to show that movie a lot
>>
>>91890955
It's a quote from the special "This is MST3K" concerning all the obscure references used in the show:

"We never say, 'Who's going to get this?' We always say, 'The right people will get this.'"
>>
>>91891146
This guy gets it.
>>
File: shogunofharlem.jpg (192KB, 650x366px) Image search: [Google]
shogunofharlem.jpg
192KB, 650x366px
>>91890700
Yes
>>
>>91889363
Because you like the movie and want to pay it homage.
>>
>>91890984
Fistful of Dollars was wholly a reference to Yojimbo, which was wholly a reference to the book Red Harvest. You've got stuff like the first season of True Detective, which uses the short stories of Robert W. Chambers as a reference point.

Referencing something or paying it homage doesn't have to be a joke, anon.
>>
>>91891172
The right people usually do.
>>
>>91890932
MST3K was terrible, I'm happy that it becomes less relevant every year. How anyone used to find it funny, I'll never know. Such cringey attempts at humour...is that what people used to laugh at?
>>
File: IMG_5013.gif (335KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5013.gif
335KB, 400x400px
>>91891678
how is middle school?
>>
>>91890932
I never understood the reference until this thread. Still found it entertaining as a kid so what's the problem
>>
>>91891300
There's a difference from being influenced by something and referencing it. Try again.
>>
>>91891678
It's like finding those old """comedy records"""
It was a different time
>>
>>91892002
Not a clear difference.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.