[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Back in the day it was ALL about Spidey and X-Men and Fantastic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: marvelhappymeal.jpg (64KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
marvelhappymeal.jpg
64KB, 1280x720px
Back in the day it was ALL about Spidey and X-Men and Fantastic Four and Hulk

Bow how times have changed. Really opens your eyes in a way
>>
>>91859884

Yeah, they were the big names in the 1990s. That's why Universal, Sony and Fox were willing to pay big money for the rights to those characters in the movies. Once they had them, Marvel had to look to their B-list characters to capitalize upon in the movies, leaving all of their big-name heroes in the dust.
>>
>>91860217
Imagine if it were DC instead and they sold off say Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, and Aquaman

Who would take their place?
>>
>>91860277
We'd for sure have a Lobo movie just to cut the super serious Batman movies. Booster Gold might have gotten a chance at something, like Ant Man did. Doom Patrol. If they kept the Nightwing rights separate from Batman, we'd get something out of that. Titans would take the place of Guardians.

They'd have to lean on Green Arrow, more so than just a show. Hawkman/Hawkgirl would probably show up. The toughest part would be the rouges gallery. So many great villains belong to those 5. That said, Marvel has the same problem.
>>
>>91860397
>So many great villains belong to those 5. That said, Marvel has the same problem.

The sad thing is, they have villains that could have a lot of potential, they just don't care and either do nothing with them or fuck them up

>Abomination
>Leader
I know this is cause of some rights fuckery involved with Hulk, so not exactly fair

>Mandarin
They couldn't have fucked up worse, he has the potential to be an epic villain
>>
>>91860450
OH MY GOD MANDARIN. Seriously I was so pissed. Perfect opportunity for science vs magic stuff. You can introduce Dr. Strange, maybe even hint at the Illuminati. But no. He's just a guy. It's an Islamic terrorist group. The rings are symbolic.

Fuck. That. Noise.

Anyway. DC might have a tough time with it because a lot of the well known archs hinge heavily on the JL, just like Marvel is having to deal with X-men.
>>
>>91859884

At least Hulk is still around. By the end of this year he'll have had 4 movie appearances in the previous 10 years. That's more than the fantastic four and wonder woman combined.
>>
>>91860397
>Titans would take the place of Guardians.

That's likely, yes. Not the originals, for obvious reasons, and not Robin in this scenario, but something a lot like the team from the animated series.

I could see them rolling the dice on a Metal Men movie which is perhaps more in line with the spirit of Guardians of the Galaxy. Make it look and feel like the Transformers live-action movies and I think you'd have a hit. We shit on those movies a lot here on /co/ because we have some pretty specific ideas about what Transformers should be like but nobody can argue that they aren't mainstream popular and a Metal Men movie in that vein would do well.
>>
>>91860649
Unfortunately he can't have his own solo movies now, making him essentially just a plot device for the Avengers
>>
File: DC_on_The_CW.jpg (29KB, 300x164px)
DC_on_The_CW.jpg
29KB, 300x164px
>>91860217

It worked out in Marvel's favour as while the Spidey, the X-Men, the Hulk, FF, even arguably Daredevil were Marvel's biggest properties in the 90s, actually in-universe they were the b listers (except maybe the FF).

In-universe the Cap, Iron Man, Thor and the Avengers were the A listers. So Marvel got to make their characters real world status match their fictional status.

The DC equivalent has happened. It's the Arrowverse. They can't use any of the big 3 so have gone to town with the b list properties (and are doing a better job than the movie division).
>>
>>91861788
Nice image for ants
>>
It's funny that there are people who will argue Iron Man was A-List prior to 2008.
Most Avengers characters were not marketable at all. Hulk only skirted along due to being a national icon because of the 70s show.
Thor and Cap were nowhere. No Iron Man lunch boxes or Cap backpacks.
Shit didn't exist like it does now and no one seems to remember that
>>
>>91862897
My dad literally bought me a bunch of Thor merch in about 2003, including a backpack, note book, a few toys (I distinctly remember a captain america toy among them) and some other stuff I'm positive I'm forgetting. I was seven and big into his old comic collection.
>>
>>91862897
There was literally an animated movie about The Avengers, aimed at children/YA/families released in 2006, popular enough to warrant a sequel. Me and my dad watched the shit out of that.
>>
>>91862897
Iron Man had a bit more exposure due to the cartoon, but even still people didn't really care about him

>>91862997
Thats different though cause it's a unique case of having a dad who's apparently a huge Thor fan, to the average kid in the 90s Thor was a nobody....his comics nobody talked about, he wasn't featured in any cartoons or video games, and had no modern toys really, not in comparison to shit like Spidey and X-Men
>>
>>91862997
>>91863057
Literally?
>>
>>91863093
Iron Mans show was syndicated in that shitty program block and his toys were earning pegs in K-Bees. All those shows during pathetic Marvel Action hour tried to get pushed but never took. FF, Hulk, Iron Man...all failed. They even made an Avengers cartoon that no one gave a shit about and most don't even remember it existed.
Spider-Man and X-Men were all Marvel had in terms of brand broad awareness.

Even though the comics at the time were better than they been in years
>>
>>91861725
He can. Marvel merely doesn't want to share the profit with Universal like with Norton Hulk.

>>91863198
Say what you will about the animation but the Marvel Action Hour introduced a lot of us to Stan Lee.
>>
>>91863057
>>91863106
Here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O617ZHcazwA
>>
>>91863619
Lot's of nostalgia for me.
>>
>>91863637
>two years before RDJ
>six years before Avengers 1

Where has the time gone?
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.