[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What creates the most rabid fandoms? I'm pretty sure we

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

File: 1354203540489.png (804KB, 700x700px)
1354203540489.png
804KB, 700x700px
What creates the most rabid fandoms?

I'm pretty sure we can boil it down to a few principles. Homestuck didn't blow up until the trolls arrived, for instance.

What was the appeal?
>>
Self-insertability

See also: Sonic, Horse
>>
>>91859713
in case of Homestuck and JoJo: Make it as inaccessible as possible, so that the fans feel like they are part of an exclusive club.
>>
>>91859713
Extensive worldbuilding with a lot of blanks to be filled + "Cool" OC concept you can replicate (Homestuck trolls, JoJo stands, Undertale monsters, also >>91859840) + Apparent complexity shipperfags don't need to understand to enjoy the story while still appealing to theoryfags and lroefags

Being gay as hell (in the case of those three) and actively encouraging shipping (directly in the case of Homestuck, indirectly with Undertale unless there was a direct reference I forgot about) helps

Also the crazy update rate and reader participation/acknowledgement is probably what made Homestuck so popular in the first place
>>
>>91859713
>What creates the most rabid fandoms
Autism
>>
>>91859713
shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping shipping

Also being "quirky" and lolrandumb
>>
>>91859840

Like an Adam Warren comic, YOU'RE JUST SAYING GUY KEYWORDS.
>>
>>91859904

Being jealous that there are people outside of mole and pore world where a picture figure is always hostile to your existence. Grotesque.
>>
File: mad.gif (3MB, 500x491px) Image search: [Google]
mad.gif
3MB, 500x491px
I'm kind of curious with this as well.

Like with currently airing cartoons. Why are the Steven Universe and Voltron fanbases more crazy overall in comparison to Star Vs The Forces of Evil?

My theory was that it depends on whether or not the characters the fanbase cares about the most have a clear endgame in terms of shipping. Like with Star and Marco being the most cared about characters, and majority of the fanbase knows they're going to be together at the end, so it reduces overall autism.

Meanwhile in Steven Universe the most cared about characters are the gems, and there really isn't a clear endgame for any of them. Resulting in autism.

Same with Voltron, the popular characters being Shiro, Keith, Lance, and Pidge. There's no clear endgame for any of them either. Again, more autism.
>>
>>91860548
That's an interesting thought

Star Vs also has a very small core cast, and while the supporting cast is quite large most of them have a fixed place within the show that leaves little room for interpretation or speculation
>>
>>91859713
characters having discrete thematic traits that are easily categorized
sonic has color+animal
harry potter has hogwarts houses and wand material
homestuck has color+typing quirk+ derse or prospit+ class + aspect, and in the case of the trolls, color is augmented into blood caste typing quirks are even more bizarre, and they also have their iconograph and their lusus and their ancestor, which are all meant to be related in some way
and can't forget fetch modus+strife specibus
>>
I was about to say, I wonder if it'd be possible to make some kind of satire about these trends.

But then I remembered that that's literally was homestuck was supposed to be with the kids, just ironically so, and then unironically with the trolls.

Jesus christ, autism is hell.
>>
>>91859713
Size most likely. I mean if it ain't big, it ain't attracting the crazy. The same story gets told over and over again "This fandom was good until it got big."
>>
>>91860771
sburb players also have a sprite, planets, denizens and consorts and endless trash with alchemy
>>
>>91861034
oh yeah, I forgot about those
>>
>>91860859
If you stare into the autism, the autism also stares into you.
>>
>>91860548
Because there's a lot more lead hetero ships in the fandom more than homo. The fandom tries to insert large LGBT+ stuff like Tomco and Trans!Marco theory, but even those don't last since the show outright destroys them.

The fandom is also not louder than others.
>>
>>91859904
Actually inaccessible or superficially inaccessible? Because actually inaccessible things probably don't spawn fandoms. Article related: https://meaningness.com/metablog/geeks-mops-sociopaths.
>>
>>91860872
It's true. If it's marathonable, you're going to get a snowball fanbase.

Anything that lasts long is going to grow a fanbase on principle
>>
>>91859713
>What creates the most rabid fandoms?
Encouraging personas of any kind

See: fursonas, coldsteel the hedehog, homestucks and trollsonas, bronies, gemsonas...
>>
File: WORLDBuILDING.gif (12KB, 650x450px) Image search: [Google]
WORLDBuILDING.gif
12KB, 650x450px
- Wordlbuilding that is incomplete, so that readers can "do a better job."
- frequent stimulation, to give a persistent "high".
>>
>>91861857
God I hate "Worldbuilding" fags. They'll excuse even the worst writing if inane factoids are slowly "revealed" over time.
>>
>>91861980
I forgive you for hating us
you can't help it
>>
>>91859713
Controversy and flame wars
>>
Template-like characters that is easy to make OCs of.
>>
>>91862051
Fuck you.
Your kind has convinced people Xenosaga isn't shit.
>>
>>91862188
you can't stop us
our agenda is invincible
>>
>>91859713
Do you seek power over men, OP?
>>
>>91859713
Extremely relatable to a, what I'm convinced it was at first, satirical degree. Each of them was given a unique color, unique symbol, unique textspeech impediment, unique totem animal, and unique horn shape. Then they get another layer of bullshit identifiers via the game's rolespect system.

Hussie couldn't have made them more marketable if he tried. All to SELL MOR MERCH AND TEE SHIRTS
>>
>>91862241
men, women, and certain base elements
>>
>>91860771
>and can't forget fetch modus+strife specibus
Hussie sure did
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.