[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Before there was time, before there was anything, there was

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: the_lich_by_sbwomack-d5vy1dl.jpg (154KB, 786x1017px) Image search: [Google]
the_lich_by_sbwomack-d5vy1dl.jpg
154KB, 786x1017px
>Before there was time, before there was anything, there was nothing. And before there was nothing... There were monsters.
What was he trying to say?
I interpret it as meaning that he destroyed every light in the old world, and he was trying to show the King of Ooo that he'd destroyed a universe before his and he'll do it again.
But it's honestly just a guess. I have no idea what he actually meant.
>>
The old universe was consumed by eldritch cosmic nightmares. Then over the infinite aeons a new universe spontaneously burst into existence. Now they wait to consume this universe, and the Lich is just preparing their supper.
>>
>>91855741
So The Lich's immortality is based around the eldritch nightmares?
>>
>>91855868
The Lich IS an eldritch nightmare. He IS one of the monsters from before there was nothing. He wants to return everything to nothing.

It's a common theme on works with eldritch horrors, that they're either from outside existence or from before it. They're antithetical to the universe, to the laws of physics, to the fabric of time and space, and either want to destroy it all, or passively destroy it just by intruding and existing in it.
>>
It's a lovecraftian concept that before the creation of anything there were only monstrous gods referred to as the Old Ones.
Mixed with a concept of most creation myths, that before creation took place there was just an infinite black sea of nothingness.
>>
Fun fact

When he says that last part and all the monsters show up you can see Orgalorg in there
>>
>>91856378
Sounds like you're just being ignorant and just don't like the idea of immigrants living in your universe.
>>
>>91856474
Guarantee Martin's cosmic crime was making a deal with a primordial monster.
>You think I'm some sort of dumb brick, I don't know Orgalorg!?
>>
>>91855624

My reading of it is that he wanted to fuck with KoO's head for whatever reason and decided a terrible vision of the amorphous nightmares that ruled the abyss in the time before time would do the job nicely.

I don't think he destroyed the previous universe, assuming he even existed at the time- I feel like it's just one of many things he's aware of due to being an incarnation of the Comet.
>>
>>91855624
Most myths have some entity that exists/has always existed whose purpose is to destroy everything.
Kind of like a cosmic eraser that comes along to wipe the slate clean.

Some do it out of malice (like the Lich) but others out of instinct or for no reason at all. Obviously overcoming this near inevitable destruction is a common theme for heroes.
>>
>>91856378
Fairly certain that he's a human wizard, ie a lich.
>>
>>91856378
You have not heard of a Lich then
>>
>>91855624
Gotta love Ron Perlman's voice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysTLU3uIlDQ
>>
You're the monster at the beginning of the book.
>>
>No, child, it's all true. The book has great power, I can make you live forever, anything you want.
For some reason a part of me actually thinks he was being sincere and thought that Finn would consider immortality a fair trade for the extinction of all life
>>
>>91857470
If Finn's immortal than all life isn't extinct.
>>
>>91857494
I never got the impression that the Lich would kill himself after everything was done.
>>
>>91856752
>>91857363
Not him, but he doesn't really follow the pattern of either a mythological Lich or a DnD style Lich, he just has the aesthetics. He's always been portrayed as the embodiment of that biogenic weapon that turned Earth into Ooo. And while humans undoubtedly created that weapon, I doubt it's powered by someone's will. And even if he did ORIGINATE from a mortal body, the whole incident in Prismo's cube displays that he has no individuality left and instead is just the working embodiment of some kind of anti-life force.
>>
>>91855624
maybe he meant there was nothing but monsters before him but he eradicated and created the land called Ooo, but was overthrown and now seeks vengeance on those who destroyed him
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.