[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Mako really a good voice actor or did we just enjoy his performance

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

File: 1485184472725.gif (685KB, 495x378px) Image search: [Google]
1485184472725.gif
685KB, 495x378px
Was Mako really a good voice actor or did we just enjoy his performance because he had a funny/unique voice?
Not shitposting, legit question.
>>
>>91820596
>funny and unique voice that people enjoy
Idk sounds like a good voice actor to me
>>
He is basically the quintessential voice for an ancient, Japanese demon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7N67hn0TlA&t=11s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgCzKdKH0VY

This voice cannot be replicated, and will forever be one of the best voice acting performances in the history of animation.
>>
>>91820596
>Was he a good voice actor or did he just have all the qualities of a good voice actor
>>
>>91820596
Was Heath Ledger a good actor or just charismatic and good at pretending to be other people?
>>
>>91820596
Is Usain Bolt a good runner or just really good at moving fast with his legs?
>>
More charismatic than anything.

Sort of like Tony Jay.
>>
>>91820596
Is OP a really good cocksucker or do men just really enjoy his blowjobs?
>>
>>91820596
It's a bit of both. He was a very good voice actor, but he seemed to have limited range. Not that it mattered, as he was known to relevant casting directors and there were enough parts for him.

>>91820630
>>91820702
That's what a lot of people think. You see it a lot with people trying to go into the voice acting biz. But the truth is that the ability to do weird voices is rarely the most important quality in a voice actor. Being able to turn in a compelling performance (as Mako consistently did) is much more important. What qualities constitute, "compelling," varies depending on the gig, but it's seldom just having a weird or gimmicky voice. That said, having a with "character" goes a long way in certain roles (though not all, especially considering that the vast, vast majority of voice work is in commercials).
>>
Was Lulu really a sweet thing or did she just have the appearence of a sweet thing?
>>
>>91820596
I get what you're asking, OP. Yes, he had a unique and memorable voice, but he was also a great actor. Look at how he played Aku vs Iroh.
>>
>>91820596
He actually did have a fair amount of talent. Keeping such an authentic accent while inflecting in a way appropriate to the dialogue in a second language requires some skill.

Aku and Iroh were cartoon characters, though, so it wasn't hard to not overshoot since he was aiming for the moon anyway. I imagine "serious Iroh" is closer to his real voice, which actually isn't that amazing.
>>
>>91820596
While he doesn't have the biggest range, he has great depth with the voices he can do.
So while he can't do many voices, he can do a lot with them, and show many emotions with them.
Some actors can do a lot of different voices, but not necessarily do much with them, and will have a hard time emulating different emotions.
So it depends on what you think makes a good voice actor. The quantity of the voices they can do, or the quality of the voices they can do?
>>
>>91820596
Compare his roles. He manages to play Aku as an evil spiritual demon bent on destroying the one guy that has a chance at killing him, while playing Iroh as a humble wise man who leads his nephew to be a better person than the man who scarred his face while playing an alarm clock that's bent on making Daffy's mornings hell
>>
>>91820596
Is Bane really good at crashing this plane or just leaving no survivors?
No baneposting, legit question.
>>
>>91820812
/lead
>>
>>91820596
That's what makes someone a good voice actor.
>>
>>91820596
Both
>>
>>91820692
>and we wont see each other for about a week
loled
>>
>>91822627
Doesn't he count as a survivor?
>>
>>91822441
WAKE UP! YOU ARE LAZY AND WORTHLESS!
>>
>>91820596
>not shitposting
But you're here, right?
>>
Mako was a distinctive VA. There are a great many VAs that couldn't REALLY be replaced. Mako's just one such VA who happened to die, leaving not just one, but two very prominent characters who couldn't be written out of their respective stories.

But at the same time it's not like this is the first or last time that that's happened, and it's not like people DIDN'T make the same kind of fuss the other times.
>>
>>91820873
>But the truth is that the ability to do weird voices is rarely the most important quality in a voice actor. Being able to turn in a compelling performance (as Mako consistently did) is much more important. What qualities constitute, "compelling," varies depending on the gig, but it's seldom just having a weird or gimmicky voice.
Not entirely.
I mean obviously these things are important. you gotta know how to act. But most of the time, the casting directors aren't necessarily looking for someone who can turn in a great performance but someone who has an intrinsic quality to their voice that goes beyond their acting.
Mako had a lot of talent but Genndy himself described that one of the reasons why he is impossible to replace is because of his voice and the way he modeled Aku's voice, which could literally not be more perfect.
I speak as someone who actually has some experience as a voice actor and met a few pros in the industry (not that I'm doing much nowadays).
This is part of why Maurice Lamarche gets often typecast as an Orson Welles imitation: because he does the best impression possible and because his voice sounds like Orson's.
A lot of times it really does boil down to what voices the actor can do even if he's not a great actor. It's really that simple (at least from my experience).
>>
I think he best work was in the Conan Movies.
>>
>>91825453
He helps sell that movie with that fucking opening. With Basil Pouledoris' music and Mako's nararration, you know you're in for a special ride
>>
>>91820596
life is too short to worry about it, just enjoy it
>>
>>91825453
There is only one Conan movie
>>
File: 1385498478547.jpg (18KB, 480x293px) Image search: [Google]
1385498478547.jpg
18KB, 480x293px
>>91825453
>>91825713
my niggas
>>
>>91820596
It's the same case with Norio Wakamoto and Shuichi Ikeda.
Both are great voice actors who have played a myriad of roles, but are nevertheless well known for their unique voices.

Pic semi-related
>>
>>91822744
No, they expect one of them in the wreckage ,brother
>>
>>91820596
I don't notice a difference. Didn't even know it was a different actor until someone here said so.
>>
They should have had Tom Kenny voice Aku, and Ashi, and possibly Vision.
>>
>>91820692
>OOhhhh, I thought you meant... never mind.

BALLS DEEP SAMURAI!
>>
no he had range, he was good
>>
>>91820596
I didn't like it, it was annoying.
>>
>>91828092
Yeah, Aku and Iroh are totally different voices. And Baldwin can do one but not the other, he doesn't have as much range.
>>
>>91831020
Yeah, he can do "old Japanese guy" which works for Iroh but doesn't really work for Aku since there's more involved.

Baldwin not having the right rasp to his voice is less of a problem then him just not having Mako's sense of comic timing or energy. Right now it kind of fits the character since Aku's in a depressive slump, but it still feels off because Baldwin is trying too hard to sound like Mako but not trying hard enough to act like him.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.