[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>shop around in a local bookstore since there are no dedicated

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: HBW.jpg (77KB, 970x545px) Image search: [Google]
HBW.jpg
77KB, 970x545px
>shop around in a local bookstore since there are no dedicated comic book shops in this place

>oh look Hellboy, guess is a good time to get into it

>the first volume will set me back 290 bucks in local currency

>the print is so flimsy and cheaply made it feels like I could snap the glue holding it together out of it just by turning the page

Im sorry babe, Im just too picky and you are just too expensive. I´ll just download it and read it in english, Im a puritan when it comes to translations anyway.

so, anons, how is your experince buying comics in a less than stellar country?
>>
>>91820056
Thank god I don't live in Shitholeistan.
>>
>>91820056
where the hell do you live in, anyway?
>>
>>91820056
what about ebay? i found some good deals on english language comics when i was living in france not to long ago
>>
>>91820107
texas
>>
Buy the library editions.
>>
>>91820229

it depends, I decided to order the first two Mouse Guard books hardcover in the same bookstore because even if they are more expensive it ends up saving me money when you take the shipping cost out of the equation.

the customs system here is horrible, they let pass books and comics without much drama but I just dont want to make the gamble and have the package lost or stolen
>>
File: 1413745566653.png (422KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1413745566653.png
422KB, 640x480px
>>shop around in a local bookstore since there are no dedicated comic book shops in this place

are comics really hard to find where you live? i live in chile and you can find kiosks selling comics like every two steps

granted you probably need to hunt a proper book/comic/manga store for something specific but you can usually find the popular stuff like X-Men, Batman, Superman, Watchmen, etc
>>
>>91822283

I live in New Jersey, one of the most densely populated states in the US, and the closest comic book shop is 45 minutes away from me.

I get all my books from Amazon because its never worth the drive just to see what books are out that week.
>>
>>91822283
>are comics really hard to find where you live? i live in chile and you can find kiosks selling comics like every two steps
America has a crazy situation where a single distributor, Diamond Comics, had managed to obtain a monopoly over both Marvel and DC comics. And the US courts decided that breaking the monopoly would destroy the comic industry. Basically the distributor is holding the whole industry hostage and would take everyone down with it if it is broken up. This is why you can't get comics in kiosks in America.
>>
>>91822718
holy fucking shit, thats grade A bullshit

do they also have a monopoly of digital distribution?
>>
File: eternauta_by_portalcomic.jpg (200KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
eternauta_by_portalcomic.jpg
200KB, 800x600px
>>91822283

you have comic books on kiosks, but its mostly Marvel hardcovers for some reason, I should actually try and ask one if they have a wider catalogue

and now that I think about it I lied: in this particular city there are two dedicated places that I can think of, the first one mostly sells national comics and manga, and the other is more of a "nerd culture" type of place more interested in selling you toys and T-shirts, I tried asking what could be ordered but they only work with specific distributors and those work mostly in mainline cape titles.

the bookstore I mentioned in the OP is fairly big and has more variety in its comics section, specially when it comes to euro works, but its crazy expensive, I almost gave in and bought a Hellblazer hardcover for 1000$ pesos, pure madness if you ask me, but then again Im living on a budget until I graduate.

I would have more options if I lived in a bigger city, but hey, its not the end of the universe, Im just drunk and bored and wasting my time on 4chins.

>>91822718

wait so they dont even bother to sell you an asterix or whatever? that sucks on its own way
>>
>>91823133
No, but Comixology pretty much does. Worth mentioning that Diamond holds a monopoly over the whole direct market, including pretty much every other comics publisher that exists and not just DC and Marvel.

>>91824569
Collected editions and OGNs are sold in bookstores and any other shop where you can get books. Just not the actual monthly or weekly issues.
>>
American here, volumes of Hellboy are generally bound like shit. I got the first two trades and shit fell apart as i read it
>>
>>91822283
Live in PA. Nearest comic shop was about 40 mins in philly and was a bitch to get to because of traffic in an urban area and now it's closed.

I use a sub on AtomicEmpire to get my shits
>>
File: IMG_2805.jpg (54KB, 576x521px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2805.jpg
54KB, 576x521px
>>91822283

I live in SoCal, while it's easy to find some comics it's hard as balls to find others.

I'm still trying to find those SU comics for a good price.
>>
either buy online or get digital. The market is a losing game
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.