[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the recommended runs and books to read for Thor? I always

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

File: Thor.jpg (39KB, 220x340px) Image search: [Google]
Thor.jpg
39KB, 220x340px
What are the recommended runs and books to read for Thor? I always liked the strange science fantasy shtick he's had, and I loved reading God of Thunder, so I want to know what are some other great runs.
>>
>>91811864
Extremely essential runs
>Walt Simonson's Thor
>Robert Rodi's Thor especially Blood Brothers and For Asgard
>Thor: Heaven and Earth (bunch of short stories, a couple are bad but the good ones are godly)

Great stuff
>JMS Thor
>Kirby Thor
>Journey into Mystery

OK Thor
>Aaron

Garbage
>Fraction Thor
>>
>>91812031
This is pretty good, Samnee Thor is super underrated
>>
start with the Lee and Kirby stuff even the Tales of Asgard

Walt Simonson's run off course

Straczynski's

Dan Jurgens' arc is underrated

Aaron's God of Thunder you can skip Jane Foster as Whore

Thor: The Mighty Avenger is good

Garth Ennis did a mini series for MAX called Thor: Vikings

Michael Avon Oeming's Thor: Blood Oath and Avengers Dissembled: Thor

Marvel Knights had Thor: For Asgard

For non Thor but still related to then there's Journey into Mystery with Kid Loki that was marvelous and earlier Tom DeFalco did Journey into Mystery featuring the Lost Gods

>>91812031
Faction's one shot of Thor: Ages of Thunder wasn't that bad and the rest were pretty good

everything else I agree with
>>
>>91812204
>Jane Foster as Whore
Thanks for the suggestions, but i'm actually liking the direction The Mighty Thor is going right now too. The reworked origin of Mjolnir is pretty fucking great.
>>
Langridge mighty Thor.
Just avoid all of Aaron's run.
>>
>>91812031
>OK Thor
>>Aaron
>>91812298
>Just avoid all of Aaron's run.
Fuck yourselves, God Butcher/God Bomb is a incredible fucking masterpiece.
>>
>>91812325
it's over rated as fuck. His Mephisto stuff was good but Godbutcher is ok and just goes downhill fast
>>
>>91812298
>>91812031

>All this hate for Aaron.

Funny how in my OP I said I liked God of Thunder and so God Butcher/God Bomb. The art was fantastic and it was quite mythical in scope.
>>
Op I strongly recommend Thor - Disassembled.
>>
File: -009 copy.jpg (3MB, 3952x1536px) Image search: [Google]
-009 copy.jpg
3MB, 3952x1536px
Op Original Sin was poor but the Thor & Loki mini that came out of it was great, check out this awesome moment, showing off what Thor can do without his hammer.
>>
>>91812403
agreed on the art. Thing is, when you read a lot of other Thor it won't end up holding up to most of it. Plenty of runs capture that mythical giant scope better. One of the best and most epic stories is For Asgard where they literally crawl up the world tree through space and time to get to Asgard
>>
>>91812031
I prefer Kirby over Simonson, and I have never understood why Simonson's run gets a pass for it's weak ass second half.
I was bored by Aaron smd quit long before Jane.
>>
Simonson is writing Ragnarok for IDW. Read that.
>>
>>91811864
Simonson run
first arc of Aaron run ONLY
>>
File: IMG_1987.png (200KB, 370x370px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1987.png
200KB, 370x370px
>>91812274
>The reworked origin of Mjolnir is pretty fucking great.
Kill yourself or never reproduce
>>
>>91811864
Simonson Thor
Kirby Thor
Thor: The Mighty Avenger by Langridge and Samnee

JMS and Jurgens are okay. If it counts, Gillen's Journey Into Mystery is decent.
>>
>>91814512
>>91814512

A literal god that is a storm the size of a galaxy which Odin battled and took all his might to seal into a hunk of Uru metal which then he had forged into the hammer by Dwarves harnessing the power of a star.

Also, not only is Mjolnir seemingly alive, it's laughing in the possession of Jane like it's enjoying itself or having the time of it's life.

Also interestingly, Jane-Thor is an inverse of the first Thor stories with Don Blake hiding his identiy as Thor from Jane. Jane and Don are both doctors and meek beings who become mighty when wielding Mjolnir.

The only cringy thing was one issue that was ultimately inconsequential, and the current sub-arc has Thor battling the Shi'ar gods in challenges of mythical proportion.

I don't see how you can't like it..
>>
>>91816293
>I don't see how you can't like it..
Yeah, I guess you can like it if you never read anything about Thor before.
This retcon rapes continuity and wasn't necessary at all.
>>
>>91817774
>This retcon rapes continuity
Surely you agree there is apoint where things need to change or be refreshed? Otherwise things just become stagnant.
>>
>>91818238
Not him but, while i can agree that change can be good it can also be taken to far which is what i believe is happening right now with thor, but hey agree to disagree.
>>
>>91818238
those changes are things to keep a character that ages up to date. At least that's a lot of the retcons. Thor is immortal and doesn't have those type of problems.
>>
>>91818429
I don't think change is only done for that. There's really only so many stories you can tell before you start telling the same ones over and over.
>>
>>91818238
Yes, but it wasn't one of those things. As I mentioned earlier this shit was unnecessary. Please stop protecting Aaron's hackwriting. Changes can be good, but this isn't that case. You can meme it up with your 'YEAH BOY MUTHAFUCKING LIVING GOD-STORM ISN'T IT LIKE TOTALLY KEWL GUYS WEW SO METAL XDDD' as long as you like but still it was a very shitty retcon that just ruined a lot of actually good stories.
>>
>>91818548
>I'm sure we can all agree that
Generalizations don't mean shit.
>>
>>91811864
Fraction is GOAT.
Read Fraction.
Hype AF.
>>
File: Why Thor has the best lore.png (630KB, 533x555px) Image search: [Google]
Why Thor has the best lore.png
630KB, 533x555px
>>91817774
>Thor
>continuity
CASUAL
A
S
U
A
L
>>
what's wrong with Fractions run?
>>
>>91818877
doesn't get the tone of the character and has shit myth writing. Everything happens of convenience and not well executed.
>>
>>91818877
It's too _______fun.
>>91818975
>doesn't get the tone of the character
Oh bull fucking shit. I can respect "shit" myth writing being down to opinion but come on.
>>
>>91818603
Nah i'll continue enjoying what I like and take recommendations from /co/ with a grain of salt.

Then again, i'm not one for continuity. I find the idea sort of silly really, as these are stories and legends and continuity can tie them down. I also tend to follow runs of artists and writers, and not just whole books.
>>
File: Thor canon.png (309KB, 462x380px) Image search: [Google]
Thor canon.png
309KB, 462x380px
>>91819128
Then you're barking up the right tree.
Thor lore's malleable. The gods were all created retroactively in the fist place, retcon is literally how their [period]-to-[period] existence works. Plus they're all immortal, so the fact that time never fucking moves isn't an issue to them anyway. Marvel could go out of business and it'd have been a blip in their lifetimes.
They're fuckin' MADE for capeshit. It's wonderful.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.