[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>that Simpsons episode where Mel Gibson is a universally loved

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 360
Thread images: 48

File: 1464561788691.gif (75KB, 450x562px) Image search: [Google]
1464561788691.gif
75KB, 450x562px
>that Simpsons episode where Mel Gibson is a universally loved celebrity at the forefront of pop culture and Robert Downey Jr. is an eccentric addict/quasi-running gag
>that Simpsons episode where a truck that drives itself is a novelty worthy of a third act twist
>that King of the Hill episode about MySpace

Things in cartoons that are really weirdly dated?
>>
the last two seasons of South Park
>>
>>91808956
Every episode of Family Guy ever
>>
File: vlcsnap-2017-04-24-07h17m30s819.png (543KB, 1280x738px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2017-04-24-07h17m30s819.png
543KB, 1280x738px
modern simpsons is weird
>>
>literally anything related to Bill Cosby
>>
>>91809003
>Wiggum does weed
>thinks he can fly
Why do they do this?
>>
>>91809313
Because the only thing old people know about pot comes from anti-drug ads and Reefer Madness.
>>
>>91808980
South Park's gonna be dated no matter what considering how often they're referencing shit that literally happened that week or in recent memory. It's pretty much their central gimmick at this point rather than the byproduct of some really weird choices(e.g. the Mel Gibson Simpsons episode).
>>
>>91808956
The episode where the Simpsons move to the "perfect" town and there's an establishing shot joke of the grade school and the entire joke is that a grade school has its own website.
>>
>that Simpsons episode where Homer tries to find his soulmate and Marge finds him by deductive reasoning, not just calling his phone and asking him where, exactly, he is

>that Simpsons two-parter that opens the second part with a Dallas reference which was at the time almost exactly 9 years old and is now 31 years old

>that Simpsons episode about Itchy and Scratchy Land that ends with a gag about how nobody goes to the one in France, referencing Disneyland Paris's starting problems, which became literally outdated a year after its original broadcast

>that Simpsons episode where Grimey argues that Homer shouldn't have access to such a large house and be able to provide for his family on what he makes at the nuclear plant apparently ignorant of the trend towards easy credit or the potential benefits of borrowing against future earnings and using existing assets to secure the loan, a practice which has been increasingly common since the 1930s

>the Simpsons episode where the town buys a monorail but Leonard Nimoy has been dead for more than two years

>the Simpsons episode where the X-Files features heavily but Leonard Nimoy has been dead for more than two years and the X-Files went to shit in the 1990s

>the Simpsons episode where Homer's car ends up parked between the tower of the World Trade Center
>>
That episode where the Simpsons couldn't afford cable and had to steal it.
>>
File: 1482225847096.jpg (35KB, 510x384px) Image search: [Google]
1482225847096.jpg
35KB, 510x384px
>>91809620
Or basically anything where the Internet is a central plot point and not just something the characters casually use.
>>
File: Token_Black.png (554KB, 703x1006px) Image search: [Google]
Token_Black.png
554KB, 703x1006px
Remember when he was the only kid in town with a DVD player?
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (46KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
46KB, 512x384px
A school with its very own website? That's just crazy
>>
>17 Times The Simpsons Did Not At All Predict the Future
>>
>>91809780
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK6ov8yxZ7A

>It was sponsored by that guy from Apple Computers...
>What computers?
>>
File: h22yjQv.jpg (40KB, 768x576px) Image search: [Google]
h22yjQv.jpg
40KB, 768x576px
>>
>>91809003
This episode was good at least

>>91808980
So was Season 19, at least

>>91808956
Also, sort of a reverse here, in a recent episode Bart and Lisa come across non flat screen TVs and act entirely surprised at their existence
>>
>>91808956
Homerpalooza is an interesting episode, because its dated, but still works thanks to the "it'll happen to you" quote.
>>
Not /co/, but in the Pokemon episode where Ash catches Krabby, he spends the rest of the first half searching for a phone to call Professor Oak.
>>
One early episode of Arthur made a big deal about Muffy owning a cell phone.
>>
>>91809956
>>
That time on Futurama where they were playing an online game and the Professor told everyone to get off the internet so he could use the phone.
>>
>>91808956
Pretty much any time video games are mentioned or seen
>Season 1- Atari/NES hybrid Punch Out knockoff
>Season 7- Very 4th gen Mortal Kombat knockoff
>Season 10- Very 5th gen Crash Bandicoot knockoff
>Season 18- Satire on MMOs, which have fallen completely out of style
>Season 21- Wii knockoff appears a few times
>>
>>91811536
>pokemon go episode aleggedly happening
it never ends
>>
File: 1448132289794.jpg (241KB, 1115x890px) Image search: [Google]
1448132289794.jpg
241KB, 1115x890px
>>91811563
I did not even look at the screen when I typed allegedly, yikes
>>
>>91809003
>Modern
That episode came out like 15 years ago
>>
BIG
BOB'S
BEEPERS
>>
>>91808956

that's how fucking reality happened. in fact Gibson and Downey are pals, and Gibson paid Downey's insurance so he could keep acting after he got out of prison/rehab, and when Gibson fucked his life up with alcoholism and antisemitism Downey commented in an interview how their lives had oddly reversed.
>>
>>91809702

>that time irl when my dad stole cable by climbing the pole and turning it on

>that time growing up when we had an illegal cable box my mom got from someone that worked at a cable company in almost exactly the same manner homer gets illegal cable, and the first thing we did was watch a ppv boxing match with Tyson in it.

shit was pretty accurate if your about the same age and economic class as Bart irl.
>>
Some years back the UK had an ad telling people to call and ask for the coastguard if they see something wrong at sea.

In the original ad, an old couple see a man drowning and the man runs to the nearest phone box and calls the number.

In recent years they remade the ad and the guy just takes out his mobile immediately.
>>
File: D'arcy Wretzky.jpg (49KB, 380x475px) Image search: [Google]
D'arcy Wretzky.jpg
49KB, 380x475px
>>91809813
>We envy you Homer. All we have is our music, our legions of fans, our millions of dollars, and our youth.
>>
>>91809653
>>that Simpsons episode where Grimey argues that Homer shouldn't have access to such a large house and be able to provide for his family

Grimes was more infuriated that someone as blatantly stupid as Homer had a much better life than someone like him who is brilliant but got passed up at almost every opportunity.

Which considering how the world is today was eerily prophetic
>>
There was that episode where Bart and the rest of the town were all hyped up over Michael Jackson visiting, but in the episode where Bart sells his soul he thinks Michael Jackson is some made up thing.
>>
I like to think that as each new episode airs, Matt Groening is sitting alone in a darkened room, drinking whiskey and staring at a loaded revolver, muttering about how it must end soon one way or another.
>>
>>91812476
Matt Groening hasn't worked on the show since season 3 (1992). If you listen to the dvd commentaries on season 9 he bluntly states that its his first time watching the episodes.
>>
When Marge became real estate agent and was mesmerized by a man using a wireless headset phone.
>>
>>91809653
Doesn't the Johnny Cash coyote make fun of Homer for not having a computer in that lighthouse episode, too?
>>
>>91812527

Yup.

"The Simpsons finally get a computer" has been a plot like, three times now.
>>
>>91808956
>that Simpsons episode where Mel Gibson is a universally loved celebrity at the forefront of pop culture

He WAS just nominated for an Oscar and has several high=profile projects in the works.
>>
>>91813085
Say what you want but the son of a bitch understands story structure.
>>
>>91812347
Grimey was an asshole with a persecution complex. It's not enough that you have a hard life; you don't get reality weighted to account for all the times your own cynicism kept you from better things.
>>
>>91812307
EVEN CHILDREN GET OLDER
I'M GETTING OLDER TOO
>>
File: 1491302410949.jpg (32KB, 189x189px) Image search: [Google]
1491302410949.jpg
32KB, 189x189px
>>91809959
>in a recent episode Bart and Lisa come across non flat screen TVs and act entirely surprised at their existence

Just fucking kill this garbage show already.
>>
>>91809741
I think you can still treat the internet as a central plot point. I sometimes think you could write an entire novel set entirely on the internet.
>>
>>91810137
They still don't all have mobile phones in the Pokemon world.
It's not really dated when it's part of the setting to only have these phone/trade stations in bigger cities.
>>
>>91809495
not all of south park gets dated

the old chinpokomon episode holds up i think after rewatching it when pokemon go came out

the new stuff just isn't as sharp
>>
>>91810316
The entire episode is really dated.
Absolutely no one uses chat rooms anymore either.
>>
>>91808956
The Simpsons are full of anachronisms. I mean they have a fucking clown as a major celebrity and host of a not ironic tv channel.
>>
>>91809741
This one still isn't dated. Stealing other people's content and slapping it together as your own is still the most common thing people do.
>>
>>91808956
that's not what dated means you fucking moron
>>
>>91812476
Matt probably hates zombie Simpsons as much as anyone else but honestly, wouldn't you also just let the show continue because you're making a shitload of money by literally doing nothing?
>>
>>91814583
How? They had a wristwatch phone in the second game.
>>
>>91814652
Well, no one really needs them I guess.
And you could always just let one of your Pokemon deliver a message or something.
>>
>>91809003
Una vela.
>>
>>91812522
To be fair, those still trip me out
>>
>>91814510
Frank Grimes did nothing wrong.
>>
Kent Brockman news reporting in the style of Walter Cronkite is basically dead
>>
>>91814590
The Chinpokomon episode was probably one of the worst episodes of the earlier seasons. With how many kids got into Pokemon after GO and how increasingly normal it is to see adults have some kind of merch it is, Matt and Trey are looking like old fuddie duddies with it now despite whatever message member berries were trying to convey.
>>
>>91811536
>MMOs have fallen completely out of style
Stop saying bullshit.
>>
>>91814590
I guess because for the first few years, they were actually making original stories, with a cultural reference about once or twice a year (eg, a Season 4 (2000) episode has the boys saving up for a Dreamcast, which got discontinued the following year).

Around Season 9, Matt and Trey started getting too far up their own asses about cultural events like Terry Shavio and fads like Guitar Hero, ironically ignoring the message of Chinpokomon.
>>
>>91817216
Which one is still huge? FF14 ? WoW? The genre will probably die.
>>
>>91809653
>that Simpsons episode about Itchy and Scratchy Land that ends with a gag about how nobody goes to the one in France, referencing Disneyland Paris's starting problems, which became literally outdated a year after its original broadcast

Euro Disneyland is still incredibly irrelevant. Really incredibly irrelevant. Literary no child here says "I want to go to disneyland" and outside of the occasional tv commercial running on the disney channel, no one really talks about it.
>>
>>91809003

Dr.Bart, I'm 420
>>
>>91809956
This gets funnier with every passing year
>>
File: dog on tablet.jpg (86KB, 540x724px) Image search: [Google]
dog on tablet.jpg
86KB, 540x724px
>>91814557
>>91809741
They still make the internet a central plot point, and because of the times we live in the episodes usually end up being pretty terrible.

There was an episode all about Homer getting an iPad and then having a philosophical crisis because he lost it. They also made a parody of The Social Network two years after the movie came out and even longer after the point when anyone who looked at Facebook like a novelty instead of a part of everyday life was out of touch.
>>
>>91812429
That was a joke about Michael Jackson allegedly being a child molester.

When I was little I thought it was a joke about him being a werewolf/zombie because of the Thriller video. I was in preschool the first time I watched it and thought it was pretty scary.

For my pre-school graduation ceremony my class dressed up as zombies and danced to Thriller. I wish I had pictures/video of it. Life is fleeting :(
>>
File: grimes screams at homer.jpg (73KB, 540x405px) Image search: [Google]
grimes screams at homer.jpg
73KB, 540x405px
>>91814510
In the context of this being a fictional cartoon, the world was totally out to get him. His parents abandoned him at four, he never got to go to school because he had to work as a child delivery boy, he was injured in a silo explosion and a bird tried to steal his diploma.

He didn't miss out on better things because of his cynicism. He lost his chance at being Executive Vice President because Mr. Burns suddenly got infatuated with a dog and gave the position away. Then he saved Homer's life by slapping away the acid he was about to drink he got in trouble and got a huge paycut from Burns for burning a hole in the wall.

He's 100% entitled to feel persecuted.
>>
The episode where everybody is freaked out by Homer deciding not go to church every Sunday.
>>
File: Simpsons_12_06_P3.jpg (932KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Simpsons_12_06_P3.jpg
932KB, 1280x720px
>that Simpsons episode where no one cared who Homer was before he put on the mask
>>
>>91818830
He was entitled to feel bitter, but all he got from that was bitterness. He envied Homer's honestly incredible life to the point that it drove him to insanity, but without thinking to reflect on Homer having worked for what he had, despite his stupidity.
>>
That episode where Bart moons the American flag, and everybody treats him like shit and throws the family in jail in some weird parody of the Patriot Act.
>>
>That episode where a feminist falsely accuses Homer of sexual assault and turns him into a pariah when nobody will listen to his account.
>>
>>91808980
>remember the 10's when every single movie was either a reboot or sequel to an older popular movie
>and all the tv shows were either reboots or late sequels to older popular shows
>and all the games were either remasters or reboots
>I know what the fuck was wrong with the people back then
I think it'll age like all south park, a glimpse into life was back then.
>>
>>91818905
Homer didn't work to get where he was though.
>>
>That episode where Homer got thrown in jail as a political prisoner for kicking a giant mouse in the butt.
>>
>>91818971
He only really started slacking when Lisa was around four, looking back at things.
>>
>>91809372
You'd have to be near 90 to remember seeing Reefer Madness when it came out.
>>
File: CM9ZpdpUkAAYiLh.jpg-large.jpg (74KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
CM9ZpdpUkAAYiLh.jpg-large.jpg
74KB, 1024x576px
This is an odd one.
It's dated because of the whole Subway diet fad. Fuck Subway ads/product placements were everywhere back then.

But now there's the whole Jared being a paedophile thing. With Saille and Cosby there were rumours for years so would be sly jokes here and now in a show like this but no one really knew about Jared so this whole episode is poking fun at the subway ads and you're watching knowing there's a hidden layer of fuckery happening with this man.
>>
>>91818905
Grimes worked his fingers to the bone and suffered from the day he left the womb and all it got him nothing. His problem isn't that he doesn't smile enough when he's getting shit on. Homer just coasts by on dumb luck and he has a life 100x better while being lazy and incompetent to the point of endangering the lives of the entire town thanks to his position in the power plant.
>>
>>91814602
>I mean they have a fucking clown as a major celebrity and host of a not ironic tv channel.

I've never really been clear on what exactly Krusty is supposed be a parody of. I mean have there ever been clown celebrities that are TV hosts and also comedians?
>>
>>91817621
Destiny was pretty big.
>>
File: 1489363984481.jpg (61KB, 702x562px) Image search: [Google]
1489363984481.jpg
61KB, 702x562px
>episodes that were made years, if not decades before

>hey, this is no longer culturally relevant

gee i wonder why
>>
>>91819149
Maybe Grimes' bitterness was holding him back from improving his quality of life? He's relatively young as well and just got his degree in an era when degrees were still worth something. Getting worked up about Homer's good fortune didn't do anybody any good.
>>
That episode where Homer's scared shitless that John Waters will turn his son gay was weird. Especially after watching that King of the Hill episode where everybody's okay with Dale's dad being gay.
>>
>>91819185
He's an amalgamation parody.

Started as a kid's show host like they had in the 70's and then they gradually had it where his off-stage personality was what Johnny Carson or David Letterman where like behind the scenes.

Next thing you know he just represents all of media/celebrity because Springfield is a small ass town

Like how Duff satires everything beer.
>>
>>91819299
A lot if not most 90's tv that dealt with 'The gays' are extremely dated.

But I guess that's because they could only do so much without causing havoc with middle-america. You can only show a flaming stereotype in small bursts.

It takes tiny odd steps. Look out how in friends their were like 'gays are ok BUT IM NOT GAY OKAY, eww guy hugs' to some years later with Scrubs 'Bromances and guy love'
>>
File: 1545.jpg (25KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1545.jpg
25KB, 480x360px
>>91808956
>Marge: Look, they're making a movie! Robert Downey, Jr. is shooting it out with the police.
>Bart: I don't see any cameras.
that was actually pretty good, me and my dad had a good laugh
>>
>>91819478
I remember that gay marriage episode they hyped up, and not only did the gay character turn out to be somebody nobody liked (Patty), but if you showed it nowadays, reviewers would call it transphobic for refuting the idea that Patty's fiance could've been a transwoman.
>>
>>91819267
Come on, you know that Grimes was explicitly designed to be a character who life treats unfairly in the most cartoonish ways. The episode wasn't trying to push a moral about how Grimes' problem was that he didn't smile a bit more when he was being fucked up the ass.
>>
File: rip.jpg (582KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
rip.jpg
582KB, 1200x1200px
>>91809653
>>the Simpsons episode where the town buys a monorail but Leonard Nimoy has been dead for more than two years

If you're gonna go there...
>>
>>91819860
It was about how a normal human cannot survive in the world of the Simpsons.
>>
>>91819880
wait, oprah is dead?
>>
>>91819880
wait mick jagger isn't dead
>>
>>91819992
That's Isabel Sandford.
>>91820127
That's George Harrison.
>>
>>91819880
Don King is still alive, for some reason
>>
>>91819079

Matt and Trey say they do regret some epiodes in hindsight. Like the whole Gary Condit and Jon Benet Ramsay one.

I applaud Matt and Trey for trying to keep Gary Condit in the news. At the time Chandra Levy's body was not yet found and after 9/11 it was gone from attention. It seemed like some congressman had his mistress snuffed, it was fucked up stuff. Now though, it's seems far more likely he had nothing to do with it. None of the information we have now was there.
>>
>>91819880
FOOLS! red coyote cannot die!
>>
>>91808956
>>91808980
The Oney Plays episode of Gex where they talk about South Park, its outdatedness, and other cartoon matters was a good chat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCduggS2gSQ&t=731s
>>
Everytime South Park has a video game.
>Guitar Hero
>L.A Noir
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (15KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
15KB, 480x360px
The (return?) Futurama episode about the EyePhone felt dated immediately. Or maybe it was just the whole satirical angle being incredibly on the nose and falling horribly flat because of it.

How about the of later Simpsons episode that featured such timeless cameos as the cast of Glee, American Idol contestants from current year, fucking Kesha etc? Celebrity couple Alec Baldwin and Kim Bassinger!

>>91812307
As much as I enjoy the Hullabalooza episode, Christ every music act referenced from the record store onwards are basically dad-rock tier now as far as pop-culture relevance goes.
>>
>>91821272
>Futurama
>Obama birth certificate episode
>iPhone episode featuring Susan Boyle
>EULA lawsuit episode
I don't know why they thought a show taking place a thousand years in the future needed to make episodes on current events
>>
>>91821451
That was always the joke; future society was basically contemporary stuff but exaggerated with some token space-age rings added, the difference was later on they got overly timely with the references.
>>
>>91814600
Says the guy typing in what basically amounts to a chat room
>>
File: Single_Female_Lawyer.jpg (40KB, 720x544px) Image search: [Google]
Single_Female_Lawyer.jpg
40KB, 720x544px
The Single Female Lawyer Futurama episode is great, but it's probably the sole context to anyone remembering Ally McBeal existing in a decade. Ironic given the central joke was that nobody on Earth but Fry has heard of what at the time was a household name show, and it's being reinterpreted through him.
>>
>>91821858
it actually makes more sense now though

Fry is from the year 2000 so he remembers creepy dancing CGI baby but everyone else on earth is like 'buh?'
>>
>>91812476
Matt passion project was always Futurama
>>
>>91817840
Yeah, but at the point at which the episode aired they were ragging on EuroDisney for being severely underperforming. There was talk of it closing, talk of it bringing down the whole company if it didn't close, and when the made the joke it looked like the biggest mistake anybody had made in living memory.

Then 12 months later it was doing fine.

>nobody here

Yeah and who gives a shit about Anaheim when they could be at Florida? And Japan. And yet they're still open and still doing great business.
>>
File: milhouse doesn't count.gif (4MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
milhouse doesn't count.gif
4MB, 480x360px
>>91819880
... OK, but VAs playing characters don't count, even if they're basically playing themselves. And the Who don't count because they had Keith Moon with them when they showed up in Springfield, and I know he's been dead since before Marge and Homer ever met. And there are some Ramones left, just not those ones. And Newman's own is still a thing and a very popular one at that. And that one guy is playing the ghost of a fictional character! That's getting a pass... and

>Joe C has been dead for 17 years

...fuck, I literally only ever knew of him from his Simpsons appearance.
>>
>>91819880
You fool, Mickey Rooney will never die!
>>
>>91818948
That's relevant today though.
>>
>>91822953
I always loved that story about how they got him in to do a commentary for his episode and he basically sat there in silence until someone tried to prompt him, and then just said "It was one voiceover that I did fifteen years ago, I don't remember anything about it."

Seems fair.
>>
>its an anime joke

>its a stale Speed Racer/Sailor Moon reference

I know they did that intro with all the characters dressed as animu charcters, but as an in episode joke its always a badly dubbed Speed Racer joke.
>>
>>91809004
Drawn Together had a fucking AMAZING bit on him though.
Like a goddamn premonition. They knew. THEY KNEW.
>>
>>91820566
He was raped though
>>
>>91823586
Lot of people knew at the time.
>>
>Literally anything related to Hitler.
>>
>>91823519
They still do those.
>>
>If I dood it, I get a whippin.
>I dood it.
>>
>>91824236
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0qlfxdKyQo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZElXZMlNFc
>>
>>91811746
That came out 2 years ago, it's from S27E9 "Barthood".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NVP3zzfrk0
>>
>>91809702
Its still weird to think about a time before 5000 channels was standard and anything more than the 3 networks was a luxury
>>
>>91810316

Wasn't that dated even for the time?
>>
>>91810316
Granted,
>my god, its full of ads
still holds true
>>
>>91825410
Yes. That was the joke.
>>
File: 1371173715471.png (273KB, 1167x879px) Image search: [Google]
1371173715471.png
273KB, 1167x879px
>>91821272
>rewatching the Simpsons a few years back; see the Homerpalooza episode
>recognize Cypress Hill, Smashing Pumpkins, and Sonic Youth cameos
>episode came out 20 years ago
And that's when I felt old for the first time in my life
>>
File: the-java-server-springfied[1].png (87KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
the-java-server-springfied[1].png
87KB, 320x240px
"Internet! Is that thing still around?"
>>
South Park in general

You guys remember honey boo boo? No? okay
Remember Jersey Shore? No? alright
Highschool Musical? No? well whatever
>>
File: vlcsnap-2017-04-24-21h33m48s58.png (454KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2017-04-24-21h33m48s58.png
454KB, 640x480px
>>91825403
>Let's see what's on channel 4,212.

There was a time absurd channel scales like this were just punchlines and not something conceivable.
>>
Not a cartoon but, if we're feeling feels from dated stuff:

>Austin Powers was a movie about a spy frozen in 1967 awakening to culture shock in 1997
>1997 was 20 years ago and the world has changed exponentially more...
>>
>>91819185

Originally Bozo
>>
>>91826009

clearly, a remake is in order. Who are you betting on?
>>
>>91826315
Idris Elba
>>
>>91819249
>gee i wonder why
well duh, the point of this thread is pointing out examples that are especially noticeable in being outdated/culturally irrelevant

>>91819478
>Scrubs 'Bromances and guy love'
Guy Love was one of my favorite bits they did on Scrubs
>>
>>
>>91812347
It's not Homer's fault Grimey had a hard life, or that his bosses didn't recognize that he was the superior employee. Homer tried to be his friend and Grimey was only more infuriated by it. Plus, how fucking great could he be if he can't read something like "High Voltage, Do not touch".
>>
>>91826763
>Plus, how fucking great could he be if he can't read something like "High Voltage, Do not touch".

He clearly read it, he even said "Danger high voltage? Well I don't need safety gloves because I'm Homer Simp-" He just had a psychotic break that made him think he was living in a cartoon world.
>>
>>91819079
Jared just wanted to give kids aids. If anything they predicted the future
>>
>>91808980
Season before last isn't dated, and will probably work even better when watched in the future by someone marathoning the series.
>>
>>91812347
I didn't know grimes was in The Simpsons. Hmm.

>>91814619
What, yes it is... explain how it isn't.

>>91823519
This still happens even though that's barely relevant to popular anime in recent years.

>>91825888
How old are you? Those are all still recognizable to anyone over the age of 13. These references are dated but still in recent memory.
>>
>>91809761
Do people even use DVDs anymore?
>>
>>91809780
and with such an irrelevant URL
>>
File: milhouse-she-looks-like-blossom.jpg (26KB, 415x403px) Image search: [Google]
milhouse-she-looks-like-blossom.jpg
26KB, 415x403px
In the mid 90s, when this episode aired, it was meant to refer to the sitcom Blossom.

But people growing up in the late 90s and beyond probably would think it refers to the Powerpuff girls character.
>>
>>91809956
>Birdman looks at his calendar
>2004
>>
File: index5.jpg (13KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
index5.jpg
13KB, 300x168px
The Chinpokomon episode of South Park is super dated now, back when everyone over the age of 10 thought that Pokemon was brainwashing America's youth in 1997.

This episode wouldn't even be made today since Matt and Trey are SJWs now and a plot about the Japanese wanting to attack Pearl Harbor is unacceptable by today's standards. They'd blame the whole thing on Trump.
>>
>>91821858

Whats funny to me is Futurama references a show for Fox synergy and Futurama is the far more remembered and culturally relevant show. They had to suck Lucy Liu's dick pretty hard too
>>
>>91827620
South Park had such a good run, I'm depressed that Matt and Trey have another 3 seasons to completely run it into the ground
Fuck nu-South Park
>>
>>91823519
Is it bad that I laugh at almost every Speed Racer reference I see? Something about that ridiculous framing does it for me.
>>
>>91825888
I...what? The High School Musical movies are still pretty well known. They're making another one to be released this year. And Jersey Shore only ended a few years ago.
>>
>>91827587
You're right, I hadn't heard of Blossom until years later
>>
>>91810316
To be fair, Futurama kinda gets a pass since it's set so far in the future that basically anything goes.
Aren't there some gags where the Professor's inventions run on like steam and bellows and shit? The idea of the internet in the year 3000 somehow regressing to dial-up is just hilarious to me in and of itself.
>>
File: Whaleoil.jpg (53KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
Whaleoil.jpg
53KB, 720x540px
>>91828468
/co/ sucks at understanding comedy.
>>
>>91819880
Apuus wife is dead?
>>
File: what the hell are you smilin at.jpg (43KB, 755x569px) Image search: [Google]
what the hell are you smilin at.jpg
43KB, 755x569px
>>91818830
It's weird how Grimes sort of shifted from being right to wrong as time went on.
Like, when the episode first aired, it was a straight-laced "what if a normal, hardworking human met Homer, an invincible idiot who has no business being as successful as he is" kinda scenario. Grimes was clearly right, even if he was an asshole about it.

But now, it feels really easy to read it as Grimes being in the wrong, since there's so much elitism nowadays against average joes. You see it all the time in places like college campuses and /r9k/, overly-sensitive pseudo-intellectuals who are pissed off that the people they consider jocks or normies aren't nearly as unfulfilled and unsuccessful as they assumed they would be.

The kind of people who found comfort in the idea that the popular kids would all end up as pathetic alcoholics once their looks faded, working minimum wage while all the "losers" are making the big bucks. But then the losers stay losers because they have no ambition or charisma and they end up feeling like they were denied something they were promised their entire life. So they rationalize that sense of disappointment into contempt for chads like Homer who "don't deserve" everything they have. Meanwhile, we (the viewers) know that while Homer isn't particularly good at his job, he's a loving husband and a caring father (for the most part); he's an idiot, but he's a lovable idiot. Meanwhile Grimes can't handle the fact that someone HE personally deems as lesser than him has a happier, more fulfilling life.
>>
>>91828890
So what you are saying is that Frank Grimes should have rounded up other people similar to himself and staged a violent revolution against the Homer Simpsons of the world and establish their own ideal society based purely on skill?
>>
>>91818938
Is any country as self-hating and masochistic as America? Like, is there any other country where pride in one's home is discouraged and a burning flag can be found at basically every protest?
>>
>>91828823
just her original VA
>>
>>91818948
>The feminist admits she was wrong and apologizes
>The feminist is a conventionally attractive young woman
>Homer is let off the hook once actual evidence is presented and not turned into a pariah for the rest of his life
Man, early Simpsons is like fairy tale-levels of unrealistic.
>>
>>91819299
See I like that one because it doesn't really demonize anyone. It just makes homophobia out to be a really silly thing that should be laughed at.

I feel like nowadays you'd never be able to have the main character of the show start an episode as a homophobe, learn a lesson, and then be embraced at the end. Just like how you'd never get away with a "lovable bigot" like Archie Bunker.

If they're in any way bigoted, they can't be lovable. Sitcoms in the 80's and 90's were really ahead of their time in the way they handled some hot-button issues.
>>
>>91819578
Holy shit, I forgot that episode ended with Patty's wife turning out to be a dude.
>The progressives of yesterday are the bigots of today
Shit's gotten a bit out of hand, I think.
>>
>>91829047
>Archie Bunker
Ah, the days when racist ideas and thoughts were wacky enough to be followed by a laugh track.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOnTZipv03M
>>
>>91821272
>Futurama Pre-Cancellation
>Episode about Global Warming explains that it's an issue 1000 years later because the temporary fix stopped working
>Episode spoofing Titanic has none of the original cast and a completely underrated B-story lampooning stock sitcom antics
>Parody of Willy Wonka, one of the most iconic films ever made

>Futurama Post-Cancellation
>Episode about "Eye-Phones" (get it?) contains direct references to Twitter, Susan Boyle, Apple Stores, and viral videos

There were some really good things to come out of the later seasons of Futurama but man shit is far from timeless or subtle.
>>
>>91810066
it was also a then hipster wondering what an apple computer was

damn i miss those days
>>
>>91825888
I feel like this takes on a new sense of relevance, though.

Like, I remember watching the High School Musical and Jonas Brothers episodes in high school when that shit was EVERYWHERE. When I watch it again, it's like opening a time capsule; it captured a moment in time and roasted the shit out of it.
>>
>>91829146
From what I recall, Norman Lear wanted audiences to side with Gloria and the meathead, but he was too afraid of making Archie a monstrous racist, and that led to viewers to sympathize with him instead.

Lear's seldom gotten audiences to agree with his stances, like with Maude. Maude was meant to his own feminist parable, but nobody gives a shit about that show nowadays and they look at Golden Girls instead as THE Bea Arthur sitcom.
>>
>>91819880
>all the og Ramones
>I now remember I got a Ramones shirt the day Tommy died
Fuck man
>>
>>91828983
Nowadays we have mattress girl

>Accuses man of rape
>Carries mattress around 24/7
>Man is kicked out of university
>Rape is proved to not have ever happened
>Still carries mattress around until graduation
>No negative repercussions for feminist
>>
>>91822700
shit really?

i mean, i just thought he and kid rock faded into nothingness

>tfw that popular kid rock song from 1999 has a line about beepers, thus dating itself
>>
File: green hamburger.jpg (7KB, 158x131px) Image search: [Google]
green hamburger.jpg
7KB, 158x131px
>>91827620
>Matt and Trey are SJWs now
>Season 18 had an episode implying that most people who claim to identify as transgender are doing it for attention and special treatment
>Season 14 had an episode about a summer camp for retarded kids where every camper is a parody of a Loony Tunes character and a disabled boy is attacked by indians and raped by a shark
>Season 19 had an episode mocking anyone who asks for a Safe Space, ending with a minute-long tirade telling anyone who posts their shit on the internet to grow a spine and learn to deal with criticism and mean people
>Season 19 also introduced PC Principal, a character meant to illustrate how SJWs are emotionally-unstable bullies who use their perceived moral highground to justify shitting on others
>Season 20 mocked Colin Kaepernick and anti-cop protests, implied Butters' message of being proud to be a boy was correct (even though his methods were idiotic), and frequently shat on Ghostbusters 2016
>Season 20 also featured a recurring joke implying that women aren't as funny as men
>"No but they made fun of daddy Trump so they're totally unfunny cucks now you guys"
>>
File: Andy_Demayo.png (231KB, 419x366px) Image search: [Google]
Andy_Demayo.png
231KB, 419x366px
>>91829047
Well, you can.

And then tumblr will scream at you for doing it.
>>
>>91828940
Nah, he should have acted like an adult and not let his petty jealousy of Homer get the better of him.

The man literally kills himself because he can't handle the fact that someone he looks down on is doing better than him.
>>
>>91829146
>the coons are coming!
>Well let's see how wonderful it is when the watermelon rinds come flying out the window
>laugh tracks
Holy fucking shit
>>
>>91829146
But the point of Archie is that you were supposed to laugh AT him. All the same, anyone laughing WITH him still got a moral about being an accepting human being at the end.

All in the Family was so fucking brilliant.
>Here's a character who's full of folksy racism
>Some laugh at him, some laugh with him
>Either way, they're both brought together through the magic of comedy
>Even though Archie and his family butt heads, they're still family
>Even though Archie's a bigot, he's still a human being and an okay guy

You just know that if they made a show with that premise today, Archie would be an irredeemable villain and the show would alienate the kinds of people who actually need to hear a message about unity and progress.
>>
>>91827443
Mexicans and poor people
>>
>>91829439
He cannot function in that world. The very mechanics of it prevent him from succeeding or being happy. Suicide by emulating Homer Simpson and dying because he is not Homer Simpson is the only action available.
>>
>>91829146
>>91829473
Funny af, I gotta start watching a couple of eps
>>
>>91829269
As a dude, this shit is TERRIFYING to me.
Like, literally anyone can just accuse me of whatever and, so long as they have a vagina, my life is basically forfeit.

We've come a long way on a lot of issues but the world is still majorly fucked up in ways we don't even want to discuss.
>>
>>91810265
2010 is the year the actual Skinner died offscreen
>>
>>91829244
It was for me too and I can see that but at the same time for everyone else it was a fad that everyone forgot
>>
>>91829525
Do it man, All in the Family is seriously one of the greatest television shows ever made.
It holds up tremendously well, especially with the current political climate.
>>
>>91829413
They can scream all they want, they still can't overcome that it was one of the few times this show made me laugh.

>wait a minute, those mysterious constructions, your weird appearance, your strange jewels...I know what you are
>YOU'RE HIPPIES
>>
>>91829541
But no one liked that Skinner so much that even his own mother replaced him and there was a law enforced to deny the existence of another.
>>
>>91829146
All in the Family is 11/10: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZYPSyfsulg&ab_channel=baldevis
>>
>>91829244
I think a lot about the difference between pop culture references making something horribly dated vs. making it into a time capsule.

I think it's mostly to do with trying to create a world/story that reflects the deeper cultural zeitgeist of the time and using the pop culture references as set pieces that the audience doesn't necessarily need to have direct knowledge of rather than going "Hey look it's [celebrity], star of [flash in the pan movie]

I think The Boondocks does a really good job of being a time capsule for American culture from the mid-2000s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MVEWC-sMGM
>>
>>91829595
I always thought that was bullshit. Real Skinner may have had a stick up his ass, but he was a POW for years. He wasn't even an asshole, just a guy who was clearly out of his element dealing with Springfield. Give him a break instead of treating him like shit just because he ain't the fake Skinner.
>>
>>91829561
But the camera quality is so shit.
>>
>>91829635
Why? He is an interruption against the status quo and is less funny than the Skinner that already is principal.
>>
>>91821451
Also, the Yo Gabba Gabba episode.
>>
File: alright guys.png (175KB, 358x331px) Image search: [Google]
alright guys.png
175KB, 358x331px
>>91829647
>It looks old so I can't watch it
I dunno what to tell you man, you're gonna miss out on a lot of quality content. Same with black and white movies.
>>
>>91825888
Here

>>91827249
>>91828194
>>91829244
>>91829606
I was reference this video which is 100% true
>>91821022
>>
>>91829693
I need to watch Yo Gabba Gabba sometime. When it came out I thought it was just a standard baby show but now I know it was created by the MC Bat Commander from The Aquabats and had a ton of cool musical guests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6CNdlJp9c8
>>
>>91829700
I bet you like Showa Godzilla and Universal Horror films
>>
>>91829788
And that's bad, because?
>>
File: 56564.jpg (37KB, 428x448px) Image search: [Google]
56564.jpg
37KB, 428x448px
>>91829515
>Suicide by emulating Homer Simpson and dying because he is not Homer Simpson is the only action available.
It's not as funny when you put it like that.
>>
>>91829797
They are old and have bad special effects and writing.
>>
>>91829846
Are you incapable of appreciating anything made before your lifetime?
>>
>>91821575
Did you just say rings were cool?
>>
>>91827443
I like having something physical when I purchase a product.
>>
>>91820566
In the episode he was played by Paul Winfield, who is dead.
>>
>>91829612
>my first thought was "nigga how you gonna borrow a fry? You gonna give it back nigga?"

I miss this show.
>>
>>91822407
Not /co/, but the film Escape From LA made the same joke, showing the Anaheim park abandoned because Disney went under.
>>
>>91818830

NOSPMIS REMOH M'I ESUACEB SEVOLG YTEFAS DEEN T'NOD I
>>
I really need to watch All in the Family again. This is even better than I remember.
>>
>>91821272
Susan Boil is dated horribly (Who she is even? Some kind of song contest winner, right?)

But satire of rampant consumerism (Shut up and take my money for a product that is pure garbage) and clickbait is more accurate with every day.
>>
>>91814429
And cinematography, editing and how to use background music to enhance emotion.
>>
>>91830873
Shoop da woop?
>>
>>91829269
I just read about, oh wow. How could this be allowed? It was public harassment and shaming, and so many people are praising her for that? At least there are some critics calling her a liar and a hack, but holy shit
I hope the guy is okay now
>>
>>91808956
>>that Simpsons episode where Mel Gibson is a universally loved celebrity at the forefront of pop culture and Robert Downey Jr. is an eccentric addict/quasi-running gag
When did this cease to be true?
>>
>>91831368
RDJ is beloved and is also iron man now
>>
>>91831533
>RDJ is beloved and is also iron man now
Correction, he's a know eccentric/addict who happens to be a running gag in the Mousevel Cinematic Universe to the point they seem unable to make a movie without him.
>>
>>91831253
It's balls hard to come back from that. Once your name is dragged through the mud, even if you're cleared of everything, you'll still have people bringing it up for the rest of your life.
>>
>>91817840
Disneyland France is one of the if not the most successful themepark in Europe.
People literally pay hundreds of bucks for plane tickets just to go there once.
>>
>>91821268
Guitar Hero was a cultural phenomenon for a short while and is still really well known today.
>>
>>91821589
Not even fucking close dude.
The closest thing you can compare 4chan too would be a forum which isn't like a chatroom at all.
>>
>>91827443
When I buy a show I usually do so on DVD. But in the grand scheme of things digital is just way more popular these days, yeah.
>>
>>91827620
Pokemon is still super fucking popular. It's constantly in the top three of the franchises with the most sales.

And the Pokemon Go craze last year clearly showed that even the broad majority is still very much in it. And it even had the same idiots that also kept saying that it's brainwashing or youth and shit with all those stupid pictures of people being glued to their phones.
>>
>>91821268
They did an LA Noir episode?
>>
>>91808956
Itchy & Scratchy: The Movie was dated even when it came out. Matt Groening and the writers were basing the story on their own childhoods and seemingly forgot that home video had been a thing since the 80s, so there's no way Bart wouldn't be able to see the movie after its theater run ended, it also definetly would have been shown on TV several times.
>>
>>91817840
>>91831841
Euro Disney would be doing far better if they had built it in Spain like they originally planned to. But Eisner cared more about the tax breaks offered by the French than actual logistics, Spain's ideal climate and booming tourism business, and long-term planning.
>>
>>91832468
Absolutely not.
Paris is the city with the most tourists per year in the entire world.

Spain has one city on the mainland with a lot of tourists and then a couple of islands people only go to to get smashed.
The only other good option would have been the UK but that would kinda ruin the foreign feeling it has compared to the US parks.
>>
>>91832498
>Paris is the city with the most tourists per year in the entire world.
I'm not sure that's accurate. ALso, Euro Disney is like 3 hours away from Paris though.

>Spain has one city on the mainland with a lot of tourists and then a couple of islands people only go to to get smashed.
You know nothing. The Mediterranean gets tons of tourists every year, it's one of Spain's biggest sources of income. It is the third most visited country in the world.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourism_in_Spain

>The only other good option would have been the UK but that would kinda ruin the foreign feeling it has compared to the US parks.
That's a horrible idea, the UK has abysmal weather.
>>
>>91823519
We just need to wait for kids that frew up watching other anime to grow up and become writers for these TV shows. But like the writers of yore, they'll only reference shows they watched as kids and not anything modern, so expect more Dragon Ball, Pokemon and Yugioh references in the future.
>>
>>91808956
>>that King of the Hill episode about MySpace
I'm pretty sure that MySpace one happened at the time intentionally. Hank was just learning of it so that alone should tell you the site was way past it's prime not to mention everyone in the episode using it were rather old. So it was just about people suddenly realizing social media existed. It would feel way more dated if Bobby was on it.
>>
>>91832498
>>91832546
Paris is crap, by the way. Outside of the very center of the city, even then it's not very glamorous if you really take the time to look. It's got that post-apocalyptic Detroit issue going on where the farther you go from the main city, the more it looks like the world ended and you're Mad Maxing through the end times.
>>
>>91829822
This is /co/. There is no place for comedy here.
>>
>>91831368
Mel for years was in the dog house because anti-semitism even this year when he was up for awards people were mad because he shit talked jews
>>
every old episode that depicts Star Wars and similar mainstream geek stuff as something only turbonerds enjoy
>>
>>91828983
>>91818948
People seem to forget that the woman wasn't falsely accusing Homer of sexual assault, she genuinely thought he had done it, because how else would anyone interpret a grown man groping her ass and slobbering? So it makes sense that once she saw the evidence she would admit she was wrong.
>>
>>91808956
>that cartoon where the cool kids all hve iphones and use google
>that one character with a side undercut
Shit is gonna hit you in the face in 5 years, kids.
>>
>>91832842
I mean, that has been the case for the longest time though.
It wasn't until the bazinga show came out that being nerdy is suddenly trendy and hip.
>>
>>91827443
In Japan, they still love their physical media and the CD remains king there. It's as if time froze in 1995.
>>
>>91827802

That was the joke though. Fry's fantasy girl can become real so he picks a starlet that was his crush at the time (From Ally McBeal, Fry's favourite show. Remember that Futurama had continuity).

Futurama was great at double barrelling the jokes so people would get it when it aired but they can remain in context years after.
>>
>>91832468
Spain is hard to access from the rest of Europe outside of planes, a minor transportation there
>>
>>91833119
Spain still receives over 70 million tourists a year, so that's clearly not much of a problem. And what do you mean that planes are "a minor transportation there"? There's plenty of airports, and then there's trains connecting all major cities.
>>
File: IMG_6087.jpg (44KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6087.jpg
44KB, 320x240px
Remember that episode of The Simpsons where the writers entirely on their own naturally wrote an original episode about something they're sincerely passionate and totally knowledgeable about? I really liked how you could tell the writers wrote this one because it was something they cared a lot about. Where do they come up with these ideas? They must have played a lot of MMOs in order to so accurately show what they're like.
>>
>>91833160
he means France is more central, and closer most other major countries in Europe, while Spain is accessible you can get a train into Paris from the UK, Germany, Spain and Italy in a reasonable time
>>
>>91833170
Not at all.
Didn't that episode come out not too long after Make Love Not Warcraft?
They probably saw how successful that was and then just wrote some fantasy-esque setting with very few actual game segments.
>>
File: memri tv 7.png (693KB, 804x489px) Image search: [Google]
memri tv 7.png
693KB, 804x489px
>>
>>91812476

Nah, he can't be that depressed since he fulfilled his life's dream of watching Nixon crash and burn.
>>
>>91831546
>Snyderdrone is so far up his own ass that he doesn't realize how much normies love RDJ
>>
>>91828944

ALL the Anglo countries at this point, and this cancer originated from Australia, which was ironically featured in an episode where Bart did the same thing to THEIR flag and got punished similarly IRC and is dated for the same reason.
>>
>>91809956
>You are now aware that the era of fast technological growth has been coming to an end since 2010
>>
>>91810137
Trying to look for a public phone is still a plot point in cartoons today, hell it's a plot point in cartoons today that take place thousands of years into the future
>>
>>91811944
I like to think that big Bob was hit badly by the cellphone and tried to adopt it too late ending up getting kicked off his home by the bank in the 2008 crisis
>>
>>91823586
Rumours had been going around for ages, Drawn Together was just the only show edgy enough to go all in on it before any of the allegations were substantiated.
>>
>>91812347
The world has been like that since the dawn of time. It's not prophetic at all.
>>
File: 1361924720084.jpg (11KB, 500x370px) Image search: [Google]
1361924720084.jpg
11KB, 500x370px
>>91827620

>South Park is SJW now

Am I actually reading this right now?
>>
>>91811944
See, that isn't dated because of beepers. He could have and probably did expand into other electronics. He would have ended up like Radioshack, is the problem.
>>
>>91829247
Alan Moore is the Norman Lear of comics.
>>
>>91828890
I agree that lately there is this strange hate everyone has for regular people.
Rich people hate them because they stand in their way as the world would be much easier if it was just the rich controlling everything and the poor following
And the poor hate them because they have exactly what the poor want.
And I have been hearing so many people talk about it and genetics, I personally don't even believe I truly measures intelligence as you can't measure intelligence without measuring thought and does it really measure all though? Why do high I mens members do nothing but come up with new I tests?
And they are using this to justify how some people are just inherently superior to others while the alternative is pretending that all humans are born exactly the same Wich is also not true.
I think scary things are coming, I heard multiculturalism doesn't enrich society but makes people issolate Wich makes perfect sense when you compare religious states with new York were people run over each other because they are late to work.
A lot of people have been playing with fire lately
>>
>>91833362
>hit badly by the cellphone
wait I thought beepers were TV remotes
>>
>>91818893
fuck you
>>
>>91833520
It's another name for pager.
>>
>>91833542
a pager? You mean a book?
>>
>>91833520
The word you're thinking of is "clicker".

>>91833542
Would half of these people even know what that is anymore? Shit I'm 25 and I don't even remember how a pager works.
>>
File: 1469259630554.png (256KB, 500x533px) Image search: [Google]
1469259630554.png
256KB, 500x533px
>>91833556
>>
>>91832916
I heard that the real thing that started the geek culture was twilight since comicon got flooded by twilight fans to the point they outnumbered everyone else so companies started looking for ways to pander to that demographic
It makes sense since twilight blew up like Harry Potter while being entirely a female oriented trend and girls don't tend to be the majority in any hobby
>>
>>91833322
Has it really? There's still new advancements every year.
>>
>>91809741
dancing jesus scenes are true as fuck, even today
>>
>>91833610
yeah he's talking shit, if anything tech advancement is faster than is was before
>>
>>91808956

Why did you listen to Gag King say gag. It means joke.
>>
>>91832916
>2007
The time line adds up but I think Napoleon Dynamite was the thin edge of the wedge.
>>
>>91833610
it has
i dont mean it stopped but it has been slowing down fast
so yeah there are still new advancements every year
>>
File: sad guts.jpg (47KB, 411x411px) Image search: [Google]
sad guts.jpg
47KB, 411x411px
>>91809653
>>the Simpsons episode where the town buys a monorail but Leonard Nimoy has been dead for more than two years
>>
>>91833559
It was essentially a notification box, wasn't it?
Someone would call the beeper's number and you'd get a notification that someone at phone #xxx-xxxx wanted you to call them
>>
>>91833594
Harry Potter is also pretty female oriented tbqh.
Pretty much everyone I know that is really into it is a girl and the obsessive fandom seems to be pretty much exclusively females.
>>
>>91809956
The Jetsons actually took place in 2162, Lost in Space on the other hand took place in 1997.
>>
>>91833666
It was created by a woman. No shit girls like it.
>>
>>91809959
>in a recent episode Bart and Lisa come across non flat screen TVs and act entirely surprised at their existence

That doesn't make sense they owned a non flatscreen entire episodes were dedicated to the thing not working
>>
Almost 30 seasons and they've never shown Lisa nude except in flashbacks as a baby.
>>
>>91833666
harry potter is universal, its loved by both boys and girls.
>anyone i know who is into it
because it has been a decade since it ended?
>>
>>91833651
It was a device made purely for texting before people really knew what texting is.
>>
File: 1461829082007.gif (25KB, 225x556px) Image search: [Google]
1461829082007.gif
25KB, 225x556px
>>91833792
And you care because...?
>>
>>91833666
>first book 20 years ago
>last book 10 years ago

I am impressed it still does so well.
>>
>>91814688
In gen 5 and 6 you have communication devices (one even uses holograms).
>>
>>91832866
I notice people always conveniently glaze over that detail when they sperg out about this episode
>>
>>91833198

Agreed. That was my joke.
>>
>>91833260
It's like complete autism. Every last thing Groening has ever done has references, jokes, appearances, parodies of Richard Nixon, as if he can't let his college stoner days go.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
>>91833993
sorry I thought you were actually being serious
>>
>>91834031
I predict that the next generation of writers will never get over Trump either.
>>
Why is /co/ so obsessed with jokes being timeless?
There's nothing wrong with a joke having a time limit, and even if a joke ends up being outdated it can still be funny.
>>
>>91834081
I think it's just funny to point out something that fell out of time in an otherwise timeless show.
>>
>>91834031
Didn't Harry Shearer do some stage play thing about Nixon recently? As in 2015. Yeah, I'm not making this up. Nixon-bashing in 2015. I think he's getting senile or something.
>>
>>91834031

Nixon might have been his frenemy, as it was stated the two enjoyed one another's company and chatted over stuff like baseball. Was Groening at his funeral?
>>
>>91833758

Well that, and there was an episode devoted to them replacing it with a flatscreen. And it wasn't even that long ago. Or maybe it was, as the Post movie episodes are all kind of a blur to me.
>>
>>91834160
Uh...well, Chevy Chase admitted that Gerald Ford was a bro after meeting him IRL. He said he never really had anything against Ford, but he just wanted to bash the first guy in the White House after Nixon no matter who it was.
>>
>>91834146
Shearer is a talented guy but he's also a massive dick and a SJW.
>>
>>91834259
I wish posting the words "SJW", "cuck", or "feminism" resulted in an autoban.
>>
>>91834374
i wish there was no medicine for aids
>>
>>91834395
you want the straight white Texan males who make up 1 in 4 of all new HIV diagnoses in Texas to not just die but to continue transmitting their disease to women?

and you want this because somebody else expressed an opinion that reducing your arguments to buzzwords should result in a ban?

c'mon anon, tell me i'm using too many big words and it hurted you widdle bwain
>>
>>91834640
yes
>>
>>91834640
>c'mon anon, tell me i'm using too many big words and it hurted you widdle bwain
you are advocating for getting words banned
>>
File: vlcsnap-2017-04-25-08h53m04s47.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2017-04-25-08h53m04s47.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>91834031
Nixon is always funny though.
>>
nothing I enjoy more than when something takes place a few years into the future as of release but now takes place like ten years in the past. I'm playing persona 5 now and it kinda disappointed me when I noticed it takes place in "20XX" instead of something like 2011 (ie Persona 4)
>>
>>91834052
....fuck you're right.
>>
>>91823519
Speed Racer parodies are funny as shit though. I'd definitely prefer that over a cartoon dating itself by referencing some flavor of the month like attack on titan or yuri on ice.
>>
>>91819880
Wait, is Gary Coleman dead?
>>
>>91835107
For 7 years anon.
>>
>>91829612
Damn The Boondocks is good.
>>
>>91834783
To be fair though, Trump is a comedy goldmine.
>>
>>91835250
If you say so. I just kind of got tired of the jokes two years ago. But maybe I'm just more tired of people and the jokes are secondary to that.
>>
>>91834374

>censoring opinions you dont' like

ok mate
>>
>>91835181
holy shit, that's way past corpse at this point
>>
>>91819880
GASP! Colonel Klink!?
>>
>>91808956
>that Flintstones episode where Barney casually mentions "race-traitors"
>>
>>91834640

>straight white Texan males who make up 1 in 4 of all new HIV diagnoses in Texas

That's a painful stretch, if you're saying the majority demographic of Texas make up the minority of AIDS victims.
>>
>>91819185
It's hard to explain this since Saturday morning cartoons aren't even a thing anymore too, but before the 80s, alot of children's entertainment involved a live actor with a child audience who would perform some slapstick routines, cut away to some cartoons, wash, rinse repeat. Before that/television in general, you had Saturday matinees at movie theaters showing kiddy fair/cowboy movies/et. all.

The Clown Host dealis most famous from Bozo the Clown who had the longest running version of what I mentioned (his show lasted into the 90s) and while Bozo is regarded/remembered as being a wholesome routine, the Simpsons initially was satirizing that by having a hack comedian with a disconnect between his on stage persona and his darker private life to market his brand to kids unto the point of idol worship (McDonalds) and shilling cheaply made overpriced merchandise.

But even that was kinda/sorta dated for it's time since the Simpsons began in the late 80s/early nineties when Saturday Morning cartoons had been almost completely transformed into a playing field where toy-commercial toons dominated everything, and the Ninja Turtles hadn't even shown up yet in their first widely recognized form...
>>
>>91836142
Clown shows were popular when Matt Groening was a kid. He's said that Krusty was based on a local TV clown in Portland named Rusty Nails. "Rusty Nails was really a sweet clown with kind of a Christian message, but when I was a kid, I thought he had the scariest name ever."
>>
>>91833796
Only people who were molested as kids and then begged for more liked Harry Potter.
>>
>>91809003
UNA VELA
>>
>>91833792
There's the European cover of the Too Hot for TV VHS and that Japanese lemonade commercial.
>>
File: 3[1].png (197KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
3[1].png
197KB, 400x300px
>>91836142
Still blows my mind King Koopa got one of those. In LA.
>>
>>91831841
It may be relatively popular in Europe but Disneyland Paris bleeds money. Disney proper keeps having to refinance their debt or outright bail them out.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/11142755/Walt-Disney-backs-1bn-refinancing-of-Paris-theme-park.html
>>
>>91814600
>Absolutely no one uses chat rooms anymore either
Speak for yourself. I've spent more time on f-list than at work the past few years.
>>
>>91836789
>Koopa has a framed photo of his mortal enemies on the wall
Why's the Mario one blank?
>>
>>91820652
The Ramsay's did that shit.
>>
>>91818968
>remember the 10's when every single movie was either a reboot or sequel to an older popular movie
Oldfag here, thats been going on since the late 90s.
>>
>>91834746
Persona 4 being at 2011 didn't make that much sense, at that point flatscreens were already the norm
>>
>>91831546
>>91833288
>Mousevel
>Snyderdrone
For fuck's sake, give it a rest. This isn't even a capeshit thread.

Company wars ruined /co/.
>>
>>91838832
Inaba's a shitty country town, everything about the place is dated.
>>
>>91831697
It's like that guy who went to prison because his step-sister said he raped her even though she was lying, and his dad didn't give a second thought about it.

It ruined his whole family, made his friends leave him, got expelled from college.

All because other idiots just want attention, it's fucking horrifying.
>>
File: 1492669199411.png (370KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
1492669199411.png
370KB, 1280x800px
>>91833184
>you can get a train into Paris from the UK,
>>
>>91810316
Wasn't that the joke though, that the professor is so old and old fashioned that he thinks that still has to be done? Haven't seen that episode myself so just guessing based on what I know about the show.
>>
>>91839681
There's a tunnel.
>>
>>91817216
Maybe they mean traditional MMOs?
>>
>>91819185

Local affiliates/public access TV stations still have showcase programming with "neighborhood celebrity" hosts. It was a bigger deal back then and is a relic now, but they still exist.

Think of Krusty as being like a kid's version of the public access Horror Host shows, where some guy dressed as a vampire introduces public domain horror movies at 3am. That sort of thing.

So long as local affiliates and public access channels exist, those sorts of shows will remain even if nobody watches them beyond a scant handful with insomnia.
>>
>>91833632
Nah, it's just not in the field of traditional or transport engineering, as the '60s-70s imagined.
>>
>>91833693
That's not right. According to wikipedia it was 2062
>>
>>91840843
Nah, the joke is that technology has gotten so advanced it has actually regressed in some manners.
>>
>>91808980
That's why I like South Park. It's so dated that it's like a historical document capturing what people (or at least Matt and Trey) thought about the goings on of the world when the episode was released.
>>
>>91833666
This is some small anecdotal evidence here satan but every guy I knew that was into Harry Potter back when it had main books/films coming out doesn't care about it any more. Sure, they'll still say "Oh yeah, I liked that way back when" but they don't go out of their way to really experience it again.

Meanwhile every gal I know rereads all the books and rewatches all the films pretty regularly. Looking at them I can see why WB keeps on trying to make another series of movies like it to release regularly.
>>
>>91834746
>Terminator fan
>was not able to see Genisys when it was originally released
>kept on putting off seeing it until this year
>somehow had avoided all spoilers, save the ones the trailers shown obviously
>in it they jump forward in time to 2017
>all that shit about smart phones and apps

I enjoyed the movie overall but that part was bizarre.

>>91836878
Isn't that park the reason they stopped Disney Infinity? I remember hearing that because of that park bleeding money they had to cancel alot of other things, that were actually making money mind you, to stay in the black and keep that park open.
>>
>>91809003
That episode was good. That whole season was surprisingly not absolute dogshit, just some dogshit episodes.
>>
>>91819149
If we're talking about how much the cartoon universe hates Grimes, it's not fair to leave out how much Homer suffers at no fault of his own. He fell down a gorge twice for trying to save his son's life.
>>
>>91829193
>completely underrated B-story lampooning stock sitcom antics

Fry singing the Three's Company theme song to try to figure out what to do is one of my favorite little gags
>>
>>91836878

Yes and no.

If you look at that, they're converting debt *owed to the parent company* into equity - giving Walt Disney about $660m worth of new-issue shares. Disney currently owns less than half (about 39%) of Disneyland Paris, so by converting a debt into shares, they're actually *increasing* Disney's ownership.

This is not something you do when you're losing money. It's a good way of creeping your ownership up (even if the existing shares have a better value, you're still increasing your holding) so that, eventually and with some judicious purchases, you can buy up until you're not just the majority shareholder but own more than 50% of the company (at which point you have control of it, because you can vote down any combination of other shareholders).

It's actually pretty normal. The share price did drop but Euro Disney SCA is actually trading a lot higher than it has at any point since 2015 and pretty much where it's been for the past decade; I don't know where the Telegraph got that E3.5 figure from but it must only have existed for hours if it was real at all.

In fact, Euro Disney SCA *rose* in February... after being accused by small investors of artificially depressing the share price, so who even knows what the fuck is going on. These may of course be people who bought at E150.0 twenty years ago and can't understand how investments can go down (hint: it may be nothing to do with Disney at all).

>>91842477
It may simply be that DI wasn't popular enough to pay for all the licenses it needed, or that it complicated rights issues some other way.

Again, "Disney" isn't one monolithic entity - the rights are held by a shell corp which leases them back to the parks, studios etc. Finance is interesting - everybody does it this way, so it's worth understanding the process tree.
>>
>>91843406
Why would you burn a flag, mate? They cost about a hundred dollarydoos.
>>
>>91840882
It's only been open for 23 years, you can't expect him to keep up with the latest developments.
>>
>>91829612
That is until season 4 when did a Breaking Bad episode, a Siri Episode, and a Kim Kardashian episode among others.
>>
>>91811944
>>91833362
>>91833451
>>91833520
>>91833542
>>91833559
>>91833651
Bob already sold Cell Phones in his store, Beepers got all the focus because they're what made him rich and successful, so he'd make the transition pretty easily

>>91842477
>>91836878
>>91843509
they really should just let it die
>>
>>91832401
They had an episode where Stan turns into a cynic and starts seeing everything as shit. Two of the things he says are shit are L.A. Noire and Mr Popper's Penguins.
>>
File: simpsons comics.jpg (249KB, 960x1508px) Image search: [Google]
simpsons comics.jpg
249KB, 960x1508px
>>91833792
>>91836645

There's also some French detergent commercial I can't be arsed to find.
>>
>>91836582
>look at me everyone, I don't like an extremely popular thing, aren't I special
>>
>>91843687
>they really should just let it die

It's making money.
>>
>>91841061
Bring back Elvira.
>>
>>91842555
Yeah, it was one of the only modern episodes where I actually felt like I was watching The Simpsons.
>>
>>91832546
The weather's fine. We've had a spate of super hot weather, coupled with some inclimate and some rain. It's just varied and mostly temperate.
>>
File: Train_Ferry_No_1-1917.jpg (186KB, 900x560px) Image search: [Google]
Train_Ferry_No_1-1917.jpg
186KB, 900x560px
>>91843614
Even before the tunnel was built, you could get on a train, which would then be driven onto a ferry.
>>
>>91842131

Speaking from personal experience, boys who took an interest in Harry Potter as kids (myself included) did so mostly as a flash in the pan thing, before going back to Star Wars or in my case Yu-Gi-Oh!
>>
>>91843639
>a Siri Episode
I'm still pissed that with doing an episode about Siri they didn't even have the decency to put in a scene with Gin Rummy going on a rant about it like he did with cell phones and bluetooth speakers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24CQJvzmWHI

>So basically, nigga technology is anything that doesn't plug into a printer. Does that plug into a printer?
>No.
>Know why? 'Cause niggas never have anything to print.
>>
>>91848343
Warhammer and LOTR novels were the goto books when I was younger
>>
>>91843687
It's not like pagers/beepers aren't used anymore, too. The hospital I worked at had doctors use 'em constantly, still, because of how the higher ups were worried that other devices might give off signals that could fuck with pacemakers and the like.

Construction workers and industry workers use them still, too.
>>
>>91817621
>The genre will probably die.
Massively Multiplayer Online games will die? Thats fucking retarded.
>>
>>91808993
there's is nothing great about family guy aside from being something colorful to have in the background while doing work.
>>
>>91843639
>season 4
dont remind me...
>>
>>91832633
Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy did a Dragonball Z reference 14 years ago.
>>
>>91848543
They make pagers that can't be muted/turned off specifically for docs etc..
>>
>>91846011
Weren't they making an Elvira cartoon?
>>
>>91849986
I like to imagine Cassandra Peterson just made things difficult for them

>No, make her breasts bigger
>No, bigger than that
>Bigger
>>
>>91809702
I can't afford sat tv so I steal it. Isn't that the same?
Thread posts: 360
Thread images: 48

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.