[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it even possible to talk about the merits of Shrek as an animated

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 3

File: Shrek.jpg (27KB, 259x383px) Image search: [Google]
Shrek.jpg
27KB, 259x383px
Is it even possible to talk about the merits of Shrek as an animated film anymore?
>>
>>91803472
I'll say one thing, it does have layers.
>>
Well OP you just made a thread

What do you want to talk about?
>>
No, because there really weren't any.

I'm serious. The fairy tale tropes it was so proud of subverting had been jokes for nearly 40 years by that point, the pop culture references were stale within a couple years at best (hey, look! Matrix bullet time!) the voice acting was unremarkable at best, and the CG was mired somewhere between "uncanny valley" and "ugly as hell".

The memes are all it has going for it these days.
>>
SOME
>>
>>91803522
What did it do good for the medium and what can aspiring animators take from Shrek if they look back on it today for reference?

You know how people look back on Satoshi Kon's legacy for inspiration? Yeah, what can you take from Shrek?
>>
>>91803604
PEOPLE CALL ME THE SPACE COWBOY
>>
>>91803628
the nutshack
>>
>>91803628
WICKY WICKY
>>
I think you'd have a better chance at the time

These days, memes aside, Shrek is far more well known for being the product of butthurt at Disney. Again, at the time, this was something quite unique but now, outside of that, doesn't have much to stand on outside of a couple decent jokes.

Actually that sums up a lot about Dreamworks.
>>
>>91803621
Well, like >>91803532 mentioned the first one did more bad than good. IMHO I still think it's a good movie, but the first one was strictly "FUCK YOU DISNEY!!!!" and I feel that aspect should be considered whenever anyone actually wants to analyze the movie past its memes.

Again, these are all my opinions but I feel the reason the sequel was better was not just because the comedy was upgraded, but because the "FUCK YOU DISNEY" aspect was far less apparent. It became less of an obvious bitter parody in a way that it allowed the characters and the romance/drama feel more genuine. Shrek's character and romance with Fiona was quite cute, but it suffered from the fact his entire franchise revolves around a bitter sentiment against Disney and, ironically, cutesy stuff.
>>
I like the reparteé between Shrek and Donkey but it always disappears any time Fiona's onscreen.
>>
>>91803472
Like Family Guy and Dat Boi, it's become too ironic to even care about.
>>
I WAS ONLY NINE YEARS OLD
>>
>>91803769
yknow what else has layers? Parfaits.
>>
>>91803755
I forgot to answer you question, whoops.

Basically: If you're going to parody something, don't be a bitter ass about it. And don't try to parody something while simultaneously doing it sincerely yourself, because what'll suffer is the series you produce.
>>
File: Shrek_the_third_ver2.jpg (90KB, 300x441px) Image search: [Google]
Shrek_the_third_ver2.jpg
90KB, 300x441px
>>91803755
> the sequel

What about sequelS? You know, Shrek 3 and 4. Were they good?
>>
File: COl3HB5XAAA2V6b.jpg (24KB, 499x272px) Image search: [Google]
COl3HB5XAAA2V6b.jpg
24KB, 499x272px
>>91803472
>>
>>91803472
The only memes about Shrek 2 are about how good it is
>>
>>91803848
Haha God no, the third was everything the first one did wrong, and while the fourth one wasn't as bad, it still remains below the first, in my opinion.
>>
>>91803848
Never seen the third but have only heard bad things about it. The 4th movie is surprisingly good, not as good as the first two but still enjoyable.
>>
>>91803679
WICKY WICKY COWBOY
>>
WELL THE SEQUELS START COMIN'
AND THEY DON'T STOP COMIN'
>>
>>91804262
AND THEY DON'T STOP COMIN'
>>
>>91804040
The third movie is pretty bad. I can't even remember the general plot but all the scenes that I can recall were terribly unfunny and stale even at the time it came out. The main problem with the fourth is the setup involved to get to the main plot, since Shrek has to be an ungrateful douche for that to happen, but if that's ignored then the rest of it is watchable.
>>
>>91803769
>two guys having genuine fun together
>woman shows up
>fun stops
That's how it works in real life. It's impressive that they nailed that without people getting all butthurt over it.
>>
>>91803815
I LOVED SHREK SO MUCH
>>
the muffin man scene still makes me laugh
>>
I think the ceo of DreamWorks confirmed a 5th Shrek film, the memes will continue on.
Will mike return to voice?
>>
When I first saw the movie, I remember being surprised that Fiona remained as an ogre. It seemed like a brave choice at the time, to have the pretty princess lose her looks yet stay happy like that.

I find it interesting that even though the series makes fun of fairytale traditions and the first movie opens with Shrek mocking the concept of true love's kiss, in hindsight that turned out to become an important theme in the film series, and it was taken very seriously towards the end.

>>91804040
The fourth one may be my personal favorite. I'm a sucker for "what if" -stories that have "for want of a nail" -plot elements, alternate timelines where things went wrong, and shit like that.
>>
>>91804180
WILD WILD WILD WILD WEST
>>
>HEEEEY NOW YOU ARE A ROCKSTAR NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
>>
I LOVE ONIONS
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxIofYrt0kE
SOME SOME SOME BODY ONCE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>HEEEEEEEEEEY NOWWWWWWWWW
>>
The fucked up thing is that the creators of Shrek are callous and cynical enough to try and unironically use Shrek memes in the next film.
>>
>>91803472
Not really. And by this point most of us have come to acknowledge that even if Shrek is funny (I personally think it isn't), it had a pretty terrible influence on animated comedies that came after.

We can, however, discuss how the sequel did literally everything better to the point of becoming one of the greatest comedies ever made.
>>
>>91807108
>it had a pretty terrible influence on animated comedies that came after.
Such as?
>>
What do you mean by Shrek being a "fuck you" to Disney?
>>
>>91803722
You talk shit about Prince of Egypt?
>>
>>91803604
FOLKS LOVE TO SEE RED SOME FOLKS NEVER TALK ABOUT IT
>>
>>91807984
Dreamworks Animation was Jeffrey Katzenberg's baby. He built it up after presiding over the Disney Renaissance, where he was a producer until Michael Eisner fired him. The original Shrek is a subversion of traditional fairy tales, where an ugly smelly ogre and a beautiful smelly princess who loves ugly things fall in love with each other. Shrek the film is filled with piss takes specifically of the Disney fairy tale movie, it targets Pinnochio, Cinderella, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty among many others. A lot of this could be written off as a deliberate subversion of Disney's storytelling method to distinguish the film as a different and unique animated work or a work of genuine parody. Katzenberg's involvement is what tips the balance from good-natured ribbing into bitterness.

Most obviously with Farquad and his squeaky clean kingdom of Duloc, which are undeniably a parody of the Mouse House under Eisner's tenure. Farquad was Katzenberg's middle finger to the man who fired him, an emotionally stunted perfectionist midget who sanitizes everything he touches into squeaky clean and sexless homogeneity, who ruthlessly silences anyone who dares question his twisted order. Why else do you think the message of the movie that appearances don't matter and it's what inside that counts is so at odds with Farquad himself? True beauty is only skin deep, unless you're a fucking manlet.
>>
>>91808237
Also, Farquaad=Fuckwad
>>
I remember a more resent review of the franchise describing it how it slowly fell from grace and into some shitty cash grab.

Like all of the VAs were at their prime when shrek came out but as the sequels were being churned out it sort of reflected their standing in the industry.
>>
>>91808237
Thanks for the info.
>>
>>91803472
somebody once told autistic kids would troll me
I ain't the dankest meme on the net
he was looking kinda dumb with his hand shoved up his bum in a basement that smelled like his sweat.
Well the films start coming and they don't stop coming,
sold merchadise kept Dreamworks running,
didn't make sense just stop at one,
Two was cool but the rest weren't fun,
so much to meme so much to scheme so let's bring a 5th to the big screen,
you better go you autismo,
you better go see my new show
>>
Its enjoyable

art? not even close? good? i let you argue that

but hey i liked it as a kid and i could probably still get some laughs out of it now. mostly because of memes now, but it still had its scenes like gingy interogation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpBJih02aYU
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.