[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, I was talking about BTAS with my girlfriend, and she got

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 133
Thread images: 26

File: batman-tas1.jpg (69KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
batman-tas1.jpg
69KB, 1920x1080px
So, I was talking about BTAS with my girlfriend, and she got really curious about it, since she's never seen it, but then she got kinda overwhelmed when I told her how many episodes the series consists of.

So I was wondering if there are any reliable "skip/watch" guides out there for BTAS. I'd make one myself, but it's been a couple of years since I watched all of it, and I can't really remember a lot of stuff.
>>
>>91798794
I honestly don't remember any truly bad episodes of this show. However, I suggest the ones with Mr. Freeze and Clayface, they're my favorites.
>>
>>91798984

I don't know, I remember some of them being very... fillery. But I can't really recall which ones.
>>
The first season is pure kino. You should be able to find it at Walmart or something.
>>
>>91798794
I've finally watched The Heart of Ice and I honestly think this show is a bit overrated. It's pretty good, but not nearly as good as /co/ makes it out to be.
>>
>>91798794
there arent really that many episodes if you ignore TNBA. it's the normal run of a classic show.
>>
>>91798794
The episode to avoid is the one where some kids go "Home Alone" on the Penguin and his mooks. In terms of good episodes, I love the Grey Ghost and the 2 parter that brought in Ra's al Ghul
>>
>>91799609

Yeah, but she's not used to watching classic cartoon like I am; 85 cartoon episodes with no over-arching plot is kind of a lot for someone not used to this kind of thing.
>>
>>91799643
oh god yes 'I've Got Batman in My Basement' was cruddy.
The kids were actually pretty good, youd think they would be the source of the problem, but they were fine. downright appealing, actually.

i remember an awkward moment at a very small-scale fan convention once with kevin conroy doing an interview, and an audience member shouts out, as an example of some episodes that werent so great (when the discussion got to that) 'i've got batman in my basement' and kevin is just like what? what'd you say? and that's hard to clarify.. he didn't remember the episode, which isn't surprising since he was barely in it
>>
>>91799512
I really like the show but that episode is really overrated. But that orgin story is probably one of the most remembered things about the series even for people who haven't seen it.
>>
>>91799699
just break it up into chunks. let's watch 5 episodes this week, 5 the next, yknow.. for a few months. make it a regular thing.

alright alright you can skip night of the wer- no, you can't! that guy comes back in justice league, and he namedrops langstrom. dammit they're all good

i get bored by the one where the gangster had a childhood friend that we think died but it turns out he was merely crippled and he became a priest, that was a whole lot of nothing, but it was MEANINGFUL nothing. wasnt BATMAN exactly, but..
same goes for that one where he infiltrates the slave labor ring. that's totally a real thing in the south sometimes.
>>
>>91798794
Batman in my Basement is the only necessary episode. the rest you can take or leave.
>>
>>91799767
you have to enjoy it in context. we're all a lot more bored and OCD now, but think about it this way: as starved as we are for intelligent action animation now, they were WAY more starved for it back then
>>
>>91799829
er, ADD
>>
>>91799699
Just watch the best of the series. If she really enjoys it she'll watch more. Don't go into a new show to trying to see all of it or you'll be disappointed. Best case you'll naturally get through a good amount of it.
>>
>>91799829

Exactly. Western cartoons had basically no narrative depth to them, they were toy commercials and that's about it. It was either that, or a comedy show for mature audiences.

An action show, for kids, with actual good writing, cinematic art direction and god tier voice acting? It blew everyone the fuck away, it was amazing.
>>
>>91799829
I didn't mean it was bad, I still like it but it's not the best episode of the series like a lot of people claim it is.
>>
File: p331.jpg (45KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
p331.jpg
45KB, 640x480px
>>91798794
Well I've been watching a lot of TAS lately so I can help you with that.

Heart Of Ice, Almost Got Im, Joker's Favor and Perchance to Dream are an easy start and practically mandatory. They are not my favorites but they are the ones I would use to introduce someone to TAS. If they like those, they'll probably like the others.

TAS has mostly consistent quality but there are a few bad episodes and not every episode is really that engaging. But as much as anons here like to pull the "nostalgiafag" argument for anything older than themselves, the show has aged remarkably well.

Maybe you can ask her what her favorite characters are and pick episodes centered around those.
>>
>>91799924
what's sad is I'd love to get 80s toy commercials back. at LEAST they had solid action and engaging plots, because they had to inspire fun play.
>>91800032
I suppose not. Buuut you wouldnt say Heart of Clay is overrated, would you? I think that fucker lives up to its hype
On Leather Wings too. It's amazing they started right off the bat (heh) with that fucker. Of course we now know that airing order wasn't production order by a longshot, and they had a ton of them banked before airing (such that they recorded joker's first several appearances with tim curry)
>>
>>91800032
the reason it's such a big deal is it took a silly joke character and turned him into a believable character and a tragic villain the viewer could relate to and understand. that's Mr. Freeze's backstory now. in hindsight it isn't as amazing, but that episode completely redefined Mr. Freeze as we know it and showed that the crew had a very deep understanding of what makes Batman great, and more importantly what makes his villains great too.
>>
>>91800086
>at LEAST they had solid action and engaging plots

They... didn't, really. They were awesome back when we didn't know any better, but try going back and watching them now. Nostalgia aside, they're pretty lame.

The plots are more often than not very very preachy and repetitive, and the censoring butchers any hope of good action.

I think the oldest cartoon I can think of that has very good action nonetheless is Johnny Quest, but that one was made before they started censoring everything cartoon-related.
>>
>>91800032
Okay so what do you think is the best episode of the series ?
>>
>>91799789
>i get bored by the one where the gangster had a childhood friend that we think died but it turns out he was merely crippled and he became a priest, that was a whole lot of nothing, but it was MEANINGFUL nothing.
Eh, it's funny if you turn on the Spanish dub. It's like watching Batman in a Mexican soap opera, right down to the Catholic redemption in the end.
>>
>>91800153
i mean, GI Joe shit, yeah. gay. lame. i never liked it back then
but there was a lot of awesome fun shit that still holds up.. here and there.
johnny quest is the definition of terrible, but I don't need to make the argument that everyone else has already made.

i guess i probably shouldn't have said 80s, but I meant things that the 80s established, which grew into the greats like Biker Mice from Mars and Beast Wars. that brief period between mindless shit like Thundercats and mindless shit like The Batman, when it looked like maybe things were looking up
intelligent shit like the DCAU is part of that, higher-budget cartoonery like the Disney Afternoon is another, but even the pure action shows could be great, if not very brilliant or deep. I mean Street Sharks doesn't hold up that well, but...
>>
>>91800196
>transmitidio en espanol en SAP
ah, dexter's lab. your reruns became fresh and hilarious again.
EL LABORATORIO DEL DEXTER
>>91800194
not that guy, but probably Clayface
>>
>>91800069
These are good, I'd add Harley's holiday and laughing fish.
I may or may not be biased to Hamill joker and original Harley.
>>91800086
Like I said it's one of my favorite shows of all time and it absolutely came out swinging.
>>
>>91799460
>fillery
BTAS was episodic. It didn't have iron clad continuity between episodes.

Also Batman in my Basement was based.
>>
>>91799512
>>91799767
>>91799829
You also have to consider how novel the Mr. Freeze origin was at the time. It's seems old and nothing special nowadays considering it's been in nearly all the movies and video games, but at the time it was amazing. Prior to that BTAS episode, Mr. Freeze was just a no-named thief with a cold theme.
>>
>>91800069
>Older than themselves....

I was born three years before this show came out. Am I.... am I an oldfag?
>>
File: LordMahaChohan_pinkBkd_400pxlH.jpg (45KB, 340x450px) Image search: [Google]
LordMahaChohan_pinkBkd_400pxlH.jpg
45KB, 340x450px
>>91798794
>>
>>91800254

>johnny quest is the definition of terrible, but I don't need to make the argument that everyone else has already made.

u wot

Who says JQ is shit?
>>
>>91800194
I honestly don't think I could pick one. Like I said >>91800312 I would probably end up biased towards Joker/Harley episodes like Harley and Ivy, Jokers Favor, and Laughing Fish. I don't know why but when they show up as villains it just kind of works. Most of the other episodes mentioned here are good though.
>>
File: p1p3p1p2p.jpg (37KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
p1p3p1p2p.jpg
37KB, 640x480px
>>91800312
Laughing Fish is good too, it's a good Joker episode to introduce people to the series (alongside The Last Laugh).
Harley's Holiday is okay. I think Birds Of A Feather pulled off the premise much better (I might be biased because Penguin is my favorite villain and I think most of his episodes are great)

>>91800388
Not to mention that, for the time, the idea of a villain in a cartoon having such a sympathetic backstory (especially a Batman villain) wasn't overutilized and was pretty unique. Batman Returns played with this a little but it was Heart Of Ice that popularized this idea.
And while I've grown quite sick of villains with sympathetic reasoning, TAS managed to find really great ways to make the Batman villains human without making them lesser villains or doing it in a cheap way.
>>
>>91800388
I particularly love the mixture of futuristic scifi and oldfashioned drama. the very concept of a guy who works in a lab, not just because he works in a lab, but because he has important work to do.. real genuine research. he's not just some janitor who slipped into chemicals (and i LOVE Rudy the Parasite's origin). He invented a new kind of cryonics to preserve his dying wife, and a cruel as fuck guy who fucks him over to needlessly save a few bucks (instead of just making money off the patent) ends up setting off an accident that turns him into a freak
and then, one assumes, he fucking cobbles together a life-support system out of vaguely-similar cryonics technology.. then WEAPONIZES the same thing.
>>
Heart of Ice showed everyone what the writing team was able to pull off, and that's why everyone was so impressed by it, but it wasn't the BEST.

While technically not an episode, Mask of The Phantasm is the highest quality BTAS story for me.
>>
>>91800404
younger'n me.
>>
>>91800484
like, everyone? all hanna-barbera productions are gunk. now granted the 60s is the best of it, but it's still cheap schlocky clichestorms, bordering on plagiarism, with about as much depth as the ridges on the edge of the quarter used to pay the animators

the major exception is the acting. the actors were absolute treasures of talent
>>
>>91800505
joker and harley episodes are kinda like celebrity episodes on I Love Lucy
they arent exactly the most deep or original or believable, but they're so goddamn much fun
>>
>>91800388
I mean I do say it made one of the most major continuity changes to DC. In context it's a great episode but trying to go back to it there is a little nostalgia involved. The series holds up but that episode gets overhyped.
>>
>>91800404
You're only a year younger than me. So yes.

Some of my formative memories are of seeing BTAS.
>>
>>91800617

Plagiarizing what, exactly?

There was nothing like JQ before it, and there aren't many like it that came after it, either.

You must be projecting really hard there, because it's very highly praised series on most cartoon fan communities, and definitely around here, too.
>>
>>91800677
you guys are youngfags in my book. if you werent a kid in school with a subscription to Fox Kids magazine when BTAS and Spider-Man TAS came out, you weren't THERE, man. You weren't there for that amazing night in 1993(?) when power rangers and x-men both aired at dinnertime with amazing new world-changing premieres and we got to show our parents how fucking serious and cool our interests were
>>
>>91800654
>they arent exactly the most deep or original or believable, but they're so goddamn much fun

I couldn't put it into words myself, but this really sums it up well.
>>
>>91800703
oh god, you're way down that rabbit hole
>>
File: ppeng.jpg (37KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
ppeng.jpg
37KB, 640x480px
Anyone wants to hear The Penguin sing ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYFTbzREY7M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Gkhol2Q1og
>>
>>91800824
>not that Dexter's Lab episode

i love how he played an alien in star trek with no concept of music. that was inspired.
>>
File: p990o1jmsaf.jpg (36KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
p990o1jmsaf.jpg
36KB, 640x480px
>>91800841
Well don't mind if I post more Paul Williams then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Qjtj9lliXU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h013wC6cbK4
>>
The thing is, if you're watching for any semblance of continuity, you kinda have to watch the lesser episodes too. They establish white-collar villains like Rupert Thorne or Roland Dagget as overarching threats.
>>
>>91801132
yeah the gangster and corporate villains were the most boring but they were super legit.
>>
>>91801315
They weren't all boring. Some of the gangster episodes were genuinely great. "It's Never Too Late" is one of the best episodes of the series.
>>
>>91801385
and one of the most boooorrring. at least to a kid.
>>
>>91798794
There's a ton of episodes that can be skipped. I never watch shows like that, because I'm a completionist, but they're not all necessary.

I don't know of any guides, but you could go by the ratings of the AB Club reviews. They were done before the site went to shit and I think they cover the over all quality pretty accurately.
>>
>>91800952
oh god, that's why that Dexter's Lab episode was called Old-Fashioned Lab Song. awesome.
performing with a muppet of yourself is fucking awesome.
you know, in another timeline he could have played a fantastic Dr Langstrom. he already has kind of a bat nose. or he couldve totally given burgess a run for his penguin money if he had a fake nose put on
>>
>>91799789
>that guy comes back in justice league, and he namedrops langstrom. dammit they're all good

Holy shit I just watched that season of JLU and I didn't realize that was him. Still that episode is hot garbage and you don't miss much by not knowing that connection.
>>
>>91801510
yeah it wasnt the same voice. I didnt notice it either til I was doing an all-DCAU marathon binge.
they wanted Dr Strange but the bat-embargo prevented it, so they pulled in a BTAS-original they actually had the rights to. it actually makes a lot of sense that he would work for Cadmus
>>
>>91798794
I showed my gf couple, and she thought they were good ( "Heart of Ice") but didn't love love
any of them until I showed her "Harley and Ivy"-- she was a casual harley fan, but she wound up saying-- " Maybe I Like Poison Ivy instead"-- I think the Harley and Ivy being friends episodes are going to make your GF appreciate BTAS somewhat-- I took my gfto see batman v superman though--- and now she's back on the "batman's a whiny faggot" train. I would also suggest showing your GF the movie " Batman: Mask of the Phantasm."
>>
>>91801409
I have a vague memory of telling my dad that I didn't like the episode because it didn't have enough action.

Then he explained to me that it's not always about the action, but sometimes about the characters and their story. That's the first time I remember being introduced to that concept, so the episode is somewhat meaningful to me.
>>
>>91799512
fuck Heart of Ice in favor of Clayface's origin.
>>
>>91801689
> I took my gf to see batman v superman
>>
File: swan.jpg (20KB, 400x220px) Image search: [Google]
swan.jpg
20KB, 400x220px
>>91801462
>or he couldve totally given burgess a run for his penguin money if he had a fake nose put on
Have you watched Phantom Of The Paradise ? He plays almost the same character.
A pint-sized charismatic but vicious, manipulative, lecherous and slimy businessman obsessed with birds who runs an empire built on crime and acts as the enemy to a hero in a dark leathery costume modeled after a flying animal.
I refuse to believe that whoever cast Paul Williams as The Penguin was not at least acquainted with his role as Swan.
>>
>>91801713
top quality dad, dude.
mine raised me on 60s batman and told me how he'd pretend he and his dad in the car were batman and robin in the batmobile, just like i would with him..
he also told me when he was a dumb little kid, the cliffhanger endings actually WORKED on him. He was genuinely concerned that the dynamic duo wouldn't make it out of the deathtrap okay, and spent 2 days worried about it til part 2 would air (i wanna say on thursdays) so.. that made me feel smarter at least.
he also thought the gilligan's island ending theme was threatening him, but that's something else entirelya
>>
>>91800556
Birds of a feather is one of the best episodes, of the series, and for character development oof the penguin.
>>
>>91801766
you know whom else he weirdly reminds me of? the childcatcher from chitty chitty bang bang
like obviously that guy was Penguinesque because of his fake nose, but something about his eyes and cheeks....
>>
>>91800824
dude, the penguin wrote "Rainbow Connection"-- so many carpenters songs, was in the fucking planet of the apes-- and just recently recored a song with daft punk-- paul williams is a based motherfucker https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwBWsS874_4
>>
>Overwhelmed

Each ep is 22 minutes. what kind of pleb for a gf do you have
>>
>>91800824
don't the first few electric guitar bits of this song sound a little like the opening of Danny Elfman Batman theme? I've always thought so https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRZAk2rfESU
>>
>>91801689
>until I showed her "Harley
No surprised there.
>>
>>91801965
To be fair it's a fucking fun episode. Harley and her pairing with Ivy hadn't become so cancerous yet.
>>
>>91801689

Hm, that's a good tip.

My girlfriend's kind of... non standard though. Like, she's way more into action and punchy-shooty stuff than drama, so I think she might enjoy even the episodes without lots of character development going on.
>>
>>91801713
Your dad is fucking legit.
>>
The Catwoman episodes were boring as hell. They clearly had no idea what they wanted to do with her. "Almost Got'im" was her only good episode.

Also, the episodes with the preachy messages in general are good to avoid. That was when they had another story editor who tried to push stories like that before being replaced by Alan Burnett.

Also, skip "Moon of the Wolf". Hated it as a kid, hate it now still.
>>
>>91802292
Them fucking up with Catwoman so bad is extremely frustrating to me because her and Batman are my main ship.
>>
File: paviator.jpg (62KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
paviator.jpg
62KB, 640x480px
>>91801801
I really miss this Penguin. I dislike what they did to him in TNBA and how DC has practically retired the character by confining him to the Iceberg Lounge.

>>91801824
I can see that. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang was pretty fun too.

>>91801879
Yeah Williams is based as fuck.

>>91801933
Now that you mention it, yeah, they really sound similar. Although in actuality it seems Elfman was more inspired by Levin's theme for Journey To The Centre Of The Earth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttV5C5evB7Y
But considering Phantom and Batman both pay extensive tribute to similar things (german expressionism, Art Deco/Nouevau, Phantom of the Opera, the films of Hitchcock, Welles, etc) I wouldn't be surprised if the team for Batman 89' took some inspiration for Phantom (especially since Phantom was influential in other works such as Star Wars)
>>
File: file.jpg (16KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
16KB, 400x225px
>>91802337
>my main ship
>>
>>91798984
>I honestly don't remember any truly bad episodes of this show.

Let me tell you about Moon of the Wolf, Shaggy.
>>
>>91801898
uh werent shows 24 minutes back then?
i know they're down to 16 now but my memory isn't that bad
>>
>>91799512
Heart of Ice is good, but using soup to defeat Mr. Freeze was pretty dumb.
>>
>>91802292
>Also, skip "Moon of the Wolf". Hated it as a kid, hate it now still.
This.
>>
>>91801879
holy shit, he's alive?

.. holy SHIT, he was only in his 30s in the 70s? christ, he aged terribly.
>>
>>91798794
>skipping episodes
Why? It's not like it's a race to catch up or anything. Who cares how long it takes.
>>
>>91799512
everything batman is overrated
>>
File: paul-williams-grammy1.jpg (20KB, 383x406px) Image search: [Google]
paul-williams-grammy1.jpg
20KB, 383x406px
>>91802644
Eh he's not that bad desu. He could be looking way worse.
Paul Williams always looked like a gremlin. Now he's a wrinkly gremlin.
>>
>>91802508
oh it wasn't that bad.. it was just.. eh..
>>
>>91802763
what the shit
he looked older than that in the 90s. now he just looks like alton brown. dude lost a LOT of weight, I didn't even realize he was fat before. I thought he just had that kinda face.
>gremlin
hehehe yeah. was he ever in any celebrated 80s fantasy movies? because holy shit he should be. some kind of dwarf bard.
>>
>>91802644
He really didn't change much apart from getting that JUST haircut and growing a beard.
And he struggled with drugs for a while which I guess kind of explains it.
When I heard him in the Daft Punk album I was surprised to hear that his voice hadn't changed one bit
>>
Legit skip any episode that seems like it's about animals.
>>
>>91802824
>was he ever in any celebrated 80s fantasy movies?
Well he was in a Planet Of The Apes movie, but apart from that none that I know of.
Apart from Little Enos he usually managed to avoid comedic dwarf roles which is pretty rare for a guy who's barely over 5 ft tall.
>>
>>91802986
yeah that's why that star trek episode he was in was neat. they were a race of wee aliens with an extremely idiosyncratic way of thinking, but they werent played for over the top comic relief
>>
>>91802292
>Also, the episodes with the preachy messages in general are good to avoid. That was when they had another story editor who tried to push stories like that before being replaced by Alan Burnett.
>Hey, I'm watching Cat & The Claw
>pause credits
>Story Editor Sean Catherine Derek
>IMDB
>She is known for her work on The Smurfs (1981), Captain Planet and the Planeteers (1990) and Batman: The Animated Series (1992).
Fuckin' Captain Planet..
>>
>>91803261
>she's the writer of Foodfight!
Holy fucking shit
>>
>>91803261
yeah though at least they generally made bruce pretty evenhanded about that shit
>>
File: tumblr_o5r1jz6jiL1s2jfn0o1_1280.jpg (124KB, 1280x716px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o5r1jz6jiL1s2jfn0o1_1280.jpg
124KB, 1280x716px
>>91803261
She also made the Netflix Kong cartoon with all the cheesy environmentalist messages.

Pic related was the show's one saving grace.
>>
>>91798794
Just watch it at a steady pace. You'll get more enjoyment and the episode count won't kill you.
>>
>>91803291
I wonder how she felt about Poison Ivy being characterized as batshit insane.
>>
>>91800404

Jesus I hope not.
>>
>>91803451
people like that never pick up on the little details like that
>>
>>91803581
I was just thinking the other day about how BTAS kind of invented the idea of "Poison Ivy cares more about plants than people" - in the comics she was usually just in it for the money. Now I can't help but wonder if they weren't taking potshots at her.
>>
>>91803926
I was also surprised how wet she was for Batman. You could fill a river with that.

>Now I can't help but wonder if they weren't taking potshots at her.

Probably, though no one's talked about it since then.
>>
File: men's room.gif (489KB, 500x373px) Image search: [Google]
men's room.gif
489KB, 500x373px
>rewatching See No Evil
>it's the source of this gif
>and the "guy eating sandwich" one
Every episode has something that makes it worth watching.
>>
>>91798794
It's honestly easier to think of a 'must skip' list than a 'must watch' list.

Batman: The Animated Series
S1E13 - "I've Got Batman in My Basement"
>AKA: The one where a bunch of meddling kids defeat The Penguin.
S1E42 - "Tyger Tyger"
>AKA: The one where Catwoman is transformed into a furry.
S1E43 - "Moon of the Wolf"
>AKA: The one with the werewolf.
S2E6 - "The Terrible Trio"
>AKA: The one where a group of rich assholes become bad guys out of boredom.

The New Batman Adventures
S1E3 - "Cold Comfort"
>AKA: The one where they take a giant shit on Mr Freeze's happy ending from Sub-Zero and cut off his head.
S1E14 - "Critters"
>AKA: The one with the giant farm animals.

Only bother watching Cold Comfort if you plan to watch Batman Beyond. That's the only reason to subject yourself to that.
>>
>>91804110
You forgot the one with the phony psychic.
>>
>>91798794

Just google what are the episodes with the big A-list villains that she's interested and watch those. That's what most people do.
>>
What is it with people and "watch guides". Just watch the fucking show you knobtroll. Even the shit episodes are fine. Half the ones you'd think you'd want to skip based on a synopsis, like cape and cowl conspiracy, see no evil, or heart of steel, and the other no-namer or one off villain episodes fucking rule.
>>
>>91804735
>cape and cowl conspiracy
That's written by Elliot S! Maggin, fuck anyone who'd skip that
>>
>>91803998
really? i felt like she was dykey as fuck with him. like she tried the 'i'm a seductress, fall for me' thing and it fell so flat it was as if she didnt know how mans work. he let his guard down hardcore but not because he was chubs, because he felt sorry for the bitch
whereas the more demure routine she used with harvey worked like a charm and rightly so
>>
>>91804002
i loved his fucking .. what was it even, like a vr helmet that somehow let him see. was it plugged into his BRAIN? was it sending signals directly through his skull?
shit like that is shit like i thought was plausibly real as a kid
>>
>>91804110
hey tyger tyger was great
critters was good in its own way. if bruce timm could draw animals (he admits he can't) it would have been badass. also it's a great idea
cold comfort i have mixed feelings about because you couldnt keep using him without making him a real villain, and i loved his 'just fuck everyone's feelings' coldness which is ironically emotional bawling in another form..

terrible trio was fucking awful though.
>>91804629
i barely remember that one but it had some charm from the few parts i do remember. nostromo or whoever was.. i dunno. i'll take that one anyday over the fucking maxie zeus episode. who even IS that character?
>>
>>91804876
I was talking about the comics and her characterization before B:TAS. She was basically a stalker to him.
>>
>>91804844
I think his point is that it sounds stupid as hell. 'some guy harangues batman for his cowl for 24 minutes. he's not quite the riddler, but you can tell he was supposed to be the riddler until they made a different guy the riddler'
the ending is interesting but also stupid, and makes rewatching it pointless.
see no evil and heart of steel sound good on principle though, so I dunno what he's on about there
jokerfish sure sounded like a bad episode on paper though
>>
>>91804930
>i'll take that one anyday over the fucking maxie zeus episode. who even IS that character?

A comic book character that was created to replace King Tut because Fox had the rights to him, so the comics couldn't use him.

Maxie was fun, though. It was cool seeing a villain that was legitimately delusional and insane. The ending in Arkham was great.
>>
>>91804958
i thought it was kinda flat. the joker being so eerily silent because they werent going to pay mark for one line at the end of one episode took me right out of it.
you know what though, i was going to compare him unfavorably to the likes of king tut and egghead, but... when you put it that way, the delusional aspect actually was pretty fun and i always kind of liked that part of king tut. i guess from that perspective i can see the appeal
>>
>>91804844

My point is, it's easy to skip over amazing episodes if youre just looking for all the ones with name villains. Not to mention all the little character moments they throw in, that at least create the illusion of character arcs.
>>
>>91804937
oh I thought you were talking about BTAS since you replied to a post about how different she was in BTAS and you prefaced your post with 'i was surprised'
now i see you said 'also' which means you were probably replying to your own post, which ended talking about the comics, so that makes total sense.

so anyway how tits awesome was man-bat? nevermind bat legs arent like that, it looked fucking cool! no other version of him has ever even tried considering how bat WINGS look or how they would reasonably mutate with a human. this got it just right.. leave the pointer finger out since a bat's pointer finger is useless anyway. except, for some reason, all fossil bats, where it's separate. makes me think that's just something that happens when they die.
>>
>>91799742
>>91799643
I really liked that episode, as a cartoon

But it wasn't really even Batman at all in that case, I guess

honestly I'd avoid the one catwoman episode with that "evil catwoman" type lady, forget her name

was pretty boring to sit through
>>
>>91805767
I think the point where it hit its lowest is "Batman keeps a knockout-gas antidote in the fucking visor on the batmobile's ceiling, which he has for some reason"
literally the least useful place to keep it. why wouldnt he have one on his belt
you are probably thinking about red claw, because she sucked
of course catwoman started sucking in TNBA along with most of the villains except scarecrow (though i still miss his old voice because he was so wonderfully hammy)

what i think is weird is how confused i was as a kid about ra's and talia. i think i only ever saw the "Ra's revives a fucking straight up mummy" episode once, and i was shocked to find there was an episode i almost completely didn't remember, of a show i had watched so much. that's almost like finding an unwatched simpsons episode
and then the one with count vertigo.. i remember having no idea who talia was in that. maybe because it was her first one I think?
>>
File: writers bible.gif (126KB, 567x750px) Image search: [Google]
writers bible.gif
126KB, 567x750px
Since this is a TAS thread I'll post it here
I found the Writer's Bible used for Batman TAS, with guidelines about how they wrote the show and characters as well as a few unused ideas for the show like a Penguin + Freeze episode or unused characters ideas like The Gentleman Ghost or The Mad Maestro.
It's more than a 100+ pages long so instead of dumping it I'll post the link here as well as a few pictures from it
http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/WF/batman/btas/backstage/wbible/writersguide.pdf
>>
File: tasbible01.gif (56KB, 564x750px) Image search: [Google]
tasbible01.gif
56KB, 564x750px
>>91807276
>>
File: tasbible02.gif (22KB, 563x750px) Image search: [Google]
tasbible02.gif
22KB, 563x750px
>>91807315
>>
File: tasbible06.gif (31KB, 557x750px) Image search: [Google]
tasbible06.gif
31KB, 557x750px
>>91807350
>>
File: tasbible08.gif (21KB, 541x750px) Image search: [Google]
tasbible08.gif
21KB, 541x750px
>>91807404
King Tut was apparently considered briefly to make an appearence in the show (being played by John Goodman)
>>
File: tasbible10.gif (26KB, 550x750px) Image search: [Google]
tasbible10.gif
26KB, 550x750px
>>91807470
Oops I meant to reply to >>91804958
>>
File: tasbible12.gif (31KB, 558x750px) Image search: [Google]
tasbible12.gif
31KB, 558x750px
>>91807483
>>
File: tasbible13.gif (21KB, 556x750px) Image search: [Google]
tasbible13.gif
21KB, 556x750px
>>91807516
>>
File: tasbible20.gif (26KB, 555x750px) Image search: [Google]
tasbible20.gif
26KB, 555x750px
>>91807564
>>
File: tasbible21222.png (113KB, 1084x738px) Image search: [Google]
tasbible21222.png
113KB, 1084x738px
>>91807700
Joker's original design was much uglier than he eventually became in the show, and apparently he has the movie backstory too.
>>
File: tasbbible2324.png (135KB, 1078x684px) Image search: [Google]
tasbbible2324.png
135KB, 1078x684px
>>91807725
Apparently they wanted to use The Penguin's original design in the show but had to do otherwise because of Batman Returns (I think it worked out much better for the character).
Too bad they never got to incorporate Oswald's mother into the show.
>>
File: tasbible2526.png (95KB, 1078x750px) Image search: [Google]
tasbible2526.png
95KB, 1078x750px
>>91802292
>>91802337
It's weird that they eventually squandered Catwoman because, from what's written in the Writer's Bible, it appears that they actually did have ideas for what they wanted to do with her (using a design closer to the 66 version) and held her up next to The Joker and Penguin as the three main adversaries of the show.
I'm not sure what went wrong.
>>
>>91807847
Most of this was in the series, unlike the other character guides I guess it just never went any deeper then that with the character. It's also possible some of her other traits were given to other characters i.e. her big cats became Joker and Harley's hyenas.
>>
>>91799699
Is she mentally retarded or something?
>>
>>91809185

Yeah because everyone's used to watching 20 year old children's cartoons.
>>
>>91799512
It's a kid's show, what the hell did you expect?
>>
>>91807276
This is very interesting, anon. Thank you.
>>
>>91805942
Is Scarecrow the only character who was improved in TNBA ?
Don't get me wrong I like TNBA and it has really great episodes but it seems every villain who returned was made worse in some way or another.
Thread posts: 133
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.