[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what do you think of Ellis' recent/current work? I really

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6

File: warren ellis.jpg (240KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
warren ellis.jpg
240KB, 1000x1000px
what do you think of Ellis' recent/current work? I really like Injection and Wild storm, Karnak was disappointing which is weird because nihilist kung-fu philosopher is hard to make shitty, Moon Knight was great, and Trees was terrible.

His James Bond was boring imo.
>>
Moon knight had good art and interesting premises.
I never read a comic of his until it's completely finished because he probably has the worst track record of finishing comic books.
>>
>>91789844
New univseral. He pretended to lose his info but really too lazy to finish it
>>
>>91789337
He's a hack.
>>
>>91789337
I like his stuff. I used to love it, but there are certain archetypes that show up a bit too much in his stuff. That being said, I like his stuff overall, and love some of it.

Karnak was like a cursed book thugh, he had more mishaps and issues getting that out that anything I've seen, it was never going to go any other way.

He's sort of an interesting person too, he runs an email newsletter he's beeen doing for like, a decade, and he's a great interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS0r3VNdV_k
>>
>>91789918
new universal
doktor sleepless
desolation jones
fell
jack cross
I doubt he'll finish trees, it's shit anyway
>>
>>91789963
Yeah, many of his comics follow the same character beats. Cynical British woman who hates life but hates not doing her job more. Asshole who seems nihilistic but deep down cares for humanity more than anyone else. Eccentric, behind the scenes guy who's a genius at their job but is annoying to hang around with.

Any other character tropes he hits too often?
>>
what about trees
>>
>>91789337
i
>>
>>91789963
He was also one of the first comic book creators to utilize the internet to communicate with his friends. Wasn't there a bunch of Marvel writers that were members of his forum?
>>
>>91789337
Ellis was writing Karnak?
>>
>>91791551
Yeah, Fraction, Gillen, Hickman, DeConnick, off the top of my head.
>>
>>91789963

I like how Ellis is into futurism and works like a motherfucker but Everytime he plugs for Penny Red or Leigh Alexander I get reminded how much of a bleeding heart SJW he became after Transmetropolitan.
>>
Karnak was disappointing because it was pretty much Moon Knight but much worse.

I've found TWS revival to be really good so far.
>>
>>91794899
I'm really enjoying Injection, but I heard about this shit some time last year and I'm ready to drop it the second I see signs that it's infecting the book.
>>
>>91789337
Best I read from him is Orbiter and it was amazing
>>
Why does he hate the Fantastic Four?
>>
bump for answers
>>
>>91796105
Injection is sjw as fuck
>>
>>91798387
I don't see how. The cast is mostly black/ female/ whatever Vivek is, but apart from one of them saying the equivalent of "those crackers are insane" (which was clearly being played for laughs), I'm not seeing it.
>>
>>91796794
He doesn't. His Ultimate FF run was great. If you mean making their analogues the villains in Planetary I'm not sure why he chose them for that.
>>
He's talented but I think he's kind of too far up his own ass. He's crafted this image of a cynical British bastard who cuts through the shit and tells the Truth, which bleeds into everything he does.
>>
>>91798837
Ruins
>>
>>91789337
Karnak was too indulgent. It's like instead of Ellis' usual occasional diatribe about nihilism that he sprinkles in all his other books, he just decided to make a book that was nothing but that. Whole thing just felt tedious the third time Karnak tried to explain to someone why everything is meaningless.
>>
>>91798886
Everyone in Marvel got fucked in Ruins. Wasn't that the point?
>>
>>91798897
>Nihilism the comic
>>
>>91794818
Humphries, too, as regulars there that later got into the business. There were a few other regulars that were already working (Brian Wood, Dwayne McDuffie) and a few other that weren't regulars but showed up sometimes (Waid, Busiek). Around 2000-2001 it was by far the best place in the internet to discuss comics.
>>
>>91798837
FF was basically what started the Lee era of Marvel, and the time when superheroes came to dominate american comics, even if those two things aren't completely related.
>>
>>91789337
Read his prose novels and short stories. They are awesome.

However, I'm still pissed at Ellis for never finishing the last two issues of Anna Mercury 2.

Seriously, it's been 7 years, you miserable old futurist.

He's still my favorite writer because he branches out and dabbles in every medium and story type.

Read his works from Avatar Press. Freakangels, Ignition City, Anna Mercury, and his superhero trilogy were all fantastic!

For recent Ellis works, I recommend his novels/short stories, Freakangels, Ignition City, and Injection.
>>
>>91789973
He plans on wrapping up Trees, soon. He considers Trees a failed project.

I'm also subscribed to his newsletter.
>>
>>91790182
Cool concept; terrible execution.
>>
>>91791551
I actually got to chat with Ellis and Fraction on the Whitechapel boards. Fraction is totally chill and a really cool guy.

We all spent the entire time talking about contemporary pop music and Lady Gaga.
>>
>>91789337
The Wild Storm is the first thing I liked from him since his "hard drive crash".
>>
File: alan moore reacts.jpg (107KB, 480x366px) Image search: [Google]
alan moore reacts.jpg
107KB, 480x366px
>>91789963
>I recently dug myself a cave, Warren

Alan Moore is a treasure.
>>
I can absolutely believe that Ellis would write a shitty Bond. Bond is fundamentally a romantic figure. He's the ultimate white alpha male. He serves king and country, he travels the world, he wears nice clothes, he fucks nice women, he drives nice cars, he stays in nice hotels. You have to have a certain buoyancy of spirit to write Bond, no matter how bloody his stories get, and Ellis doesn't have that.
>>
>>91804897
Alan Moore and Warren Ellis talking on the phone should be a damn television show.
>>
His recent stuff is very uneven. I enjoyed his take on James Bond and Moon Knight. Injection is very odd in that it has some genuine interesting ideas but is mired down by cliched characters I struggle to give a shit about. Trees on the other hand had more compelling characters but went nowhere. Same for Karnak without "compelling characters" bit. Wild Storm is intriguing so far but the decompression is killing me.

>>91798678

There was that meme-tier exchange about black female Doctor and Idris Elba Bond, and some bits don't come off as played for laughs. Definitely his most pozzed work.
>>
>>91804953
The James Bond of the movies is completely different from Ian Flemming's James Bond.

Flemming's Bond doesn't even drink martinis. He drinks hard liquor, and does not dress in pressed suits.
>>
>>91789337
I think Moon Knight and what little I've read of Wild Storm is actually interesting. But I'm really reluctant in following his work for the same reason >>91789844 says.

I mean I found it understandable for Planetary and Ministry of Space and some of the other 00's stuff being delayed for the reasons he gave at the time. But then after a while a lot of his other stuff got delayed for various reasons (hard drive crash being a major one). I mean Tucker Stone even had a point when he said about Ellis, "For some reason, this comic--which has to be near the bottom rung in Ellis' financial ladder--is the only thing he's been able to get out on any sort of regular basis for the last few years. A portion of that blame can be laid at the feet of his artists, there's a healthy share for the publisher, but when there's so many "late-as-fucks" and "whatever-happened-to?", and the one across-the-board credit is one specific dude, eventually the problem is no longer shareable." Now I think maybe Ellis sometimes does have legit reasons for delays but they kind of piled up over the last 17 years.
>>
File: SW_01_72dpi.jpg&w=480.jpg (121KB, 480x738px) Image search: [Google]
SW_01_72dpi.jpg&w=480.jpg
121KB, 480x738px
It's weird that his new book from Aftershock got zero press. I almost missed out on it
>>
Which one is the best?
a) Alan Moore
b) Grant Morrison
c) Warren Ellis
>>
>>91805683
Ellis. Planetary and Transmet are better than either book those two wizards wrote.
>>
>>91805699
I think Transmet and Planetary are his strongest works but I can't really agree.
>>
>>91805683
a)
>>
Why does Global Frequency not get more love on this board? It's a pretty perfect 12 issues to me.
>>
>>91805885
But it is. Global Frequency is literally how /pol/ tracks Shia Labeouf's shit.
>>
Thunderbolts was great while he was writing it. He really set the tone that Dark Avengers would take, even though he didn't write the later. Transmetropolitan is one of those series that can be read once a year and never get old. If he had a little more dedication to complete what he's started, and continue stints longer than a few arcs in ongoing series from Marvel/DC, his reputation and sales numbers would increase at least 3 fold. If he was a mediocre writer, he wouldn't be employed in the comics industry, scatterbrained as his output is. His facility and innovative ideas allows the Big 2 to tolerate his lack of writing stamina, and the smaller studios to take the risk of him aborting a creator-owned and/or limited series property. An Ellis completed run or series has continued demand and future sales potential, while unfinished projects are unlikely to rereleased in collected editions due to lack of interest thus profitability.

So please Mr. Ellis, finish your breakfast before you think about lunch. You're driving people mad. Treat every project like it was Transmetropolitan, which I believe you had the forsight and ambition necessary to ensure to complete. If you feel you got the fortitude to carry through with a project, please do so. If you feel like an idea of yours has potential but without a coherent vision or time frame in which you could get the issues out there, put it on the shelf, or forget it. Stories are better left untold than unfinished. Comic books, as they are episodic in nature, unfortunately leave the potential for the publication of unfinished narratives for a variety of reasons. Artist abandonment is the most disappointing reason, and diminishes the artist in the eyes of both employers and fans. His work with established characters/series are often short term, which usually fails to add any lasting impact or bring attention to his take on the book/characters.
>>
>>91805907
...what?
>>
Karnak was okay, I guess. The delays kinda killed it and one or two of the middle chapters was sort of eh.

I've found his Bond to be pretty comfy but nothing particularly amazing.

Moon Knight was okay, I guess, if you're into artist heavy stories with thin plotting, but I only found the Raid issue the be compelling to me personally.

Wild Storm reads likea graphic novel chopped to twenty page installments, too little is happening issue by issue. Otherwise pretty solid, since Ellis is good at amusing techno dialog.

>>91804597
>Read his prose novels and short stories.

I've only read Crooked Little Vein and it was basically like a TL;DR version of his old Suicide Girls articles mixed with "everything but the kitchen sink" dump of his personal interests circa 2006 filtered through a detective story framework. In a negative way. Granted, I think he's admitted it was a mess and he had no idea what he was doing since it was his very first literary novel.
>>
>>91805683

Alan Moore, since he has the most literary accomplishments and merit, and his work still largely influences people, and even his obscurer current stuff keeps people talking about him whenever he has something out, including his gigantic magnum opus of a book, Jerusalem.

Grant Morrison is the mainstream pop music version of Alan Moore. Similar, but not as influential or deep of a writer, hence why his creator owned work doesn't move people the same way as his Big Two stories.

Warren Ellis is the guy who had promise to be similar to Grant and Alan, but because he can't keep his deadlines and his compute conveniently keeps crashing when he's running late, he's somewhat become a has been. Now, that doesn't mean he's lost his touch, just that he's become a bit irrelevant and his indy stuff no longer has people talking about it. He's also a bit too repetitive and his shtick hasn't aged well since its peak, around the Bush era.

Feel free to fight me.
>>
>>91805885

It had couple of iffy issues, but yeah, it's pretty good, but even Ellis knew it had a very limited life span, similar to Authority.

It would have made a great TV show, as shown by the pilot episode. Even with the dated effects, it's surprisingly good when viewed today. Warren really should try to pitch it to Netflix, he probably ought to have had the rights reverted back to him at this point since the pilot went nowhere and they pulled a plug on the series due to the pilot leaking to the Internet like ten years ago at this point.
>>
>>91806063
I apologize for this post. I'm on speed, which inspires a large word count, and thus prevents a coherent and succint contribution to this thread regarding Warren Ellis's work. I wasn't even finished, but I hit the word count. Say no to drugs kids, and avoid regrettable extreme shitposting.
>>
>>91806300
I actually generally agree. And it's frustrating because I can see Ellis really does care about the medium, and is making his moves carefully because he doesn't want to end up like creators who spent all their life on work-for-hire.

I mean, it's great to be detached from the work-for-hire stuff so you don't get upset when the company fucks with your stuff. But at the same time there is a downside to being too detached, and it's kind of what >>91806063 implies.

>He's also a bit too repetitive and his shtick hasn't aged well since its peak, around the Bush era.

You know I kind of want to put a word to the persona he plays up but I can't think of the term for it. Like angry detached person? Cause sometimes I see that in other internet people that don't have anything to do with Ellis.
>>
>>91806339
>>91805885
I think Global Frequency's another strong work of his, and might actually kind of rank it a little higher than Authority personally.
>>
>>91805885
>Why does Global Frequency not get more love on this board?

Because it's twelve issues of "one-and-done" stories with no real overarching story that you could cling into, it doesn't culminate into anything larger and meaningful. It's more of a proof of concept than a book that had any type of real direction, and as such it provides a very limited range of discussions that you can have about it. Fun series, but largely to people who like Ellis' writing from the era it was made in. It's not something you become passionate over.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.