[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

anyone else think this was just kind of a cruel pointless thing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 3

File: hqdefault.jpg (30KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
30KB, 480x360px
anyone else think this was just kind of a cruel pointless thing that the tail end of the golden years of the Simpsons did for publicity/attention? There was no point besides "hey look, we killed someone off". Why? Why Ned at least, of all the characters why Ned and his family?
>>
>>91731950
Didn't they kill her because her voice actress quit?
>>
How did Homer not get sent to jail for this?
>>
File: 1292557637523.jpg (10KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1292557637523.jpg
10KB, 320x240px
>>91731950
>implying that was the worst

This was around the time celebrity appearances started to become a regular thing
>>
>>91731994
It was an accident.
>>
>>91731994
All he did was bend over to pick up a bobby pin.
>>
>>91731950
The pic makes it look like Homer farted so hard that it pushed Maude off of the bleachers.
>>
>>91731971

No she was demanding too much money
>>
>>91732078
immediately after posting this thread I thought the same thing.
>>
>Homer felt no guilt over this

I know he's a bit of a douche but come on.
>>
>>91731950
it's cruel, but in a way it works.

flanders, being the most pious and together character, should be 'tested by God' like Job. The joke shouldn't be that Flanders is 'too good' (as it became in later seasons) -- it's that Homer is an utter piece of shit in comparison to his moral exemplar of neighbour.

Early zombie simpsons messed with this dynamic though, which leads to earlier Flanders appearances seeming weird in retrospect. Hence 'Flanderization' of a character being called just that.
>>
For me, the Simpsons died with Maude.
>>
>>91732032
>It was an accident.
manslaughter is still a crime
>>
>>91732161
Homer didn't do shit, it was the T-Shirt hoes the ones that killed her
>>
>>91732161
Homer didn't kill her though. Blame the people with the shirt cannons that fired like six of them.
>>
>>91731994
Homer didn't do shit, if anyone was going to be held accountable it would be the people who literally knocked her off the ledge with T-shirt canons.
>>
>>91732231
This, even then the the most Ned could have done would have been a civil suit against the stadium owner which he may have done for all we know.
>>
>>91732254
>>91732252
>>91732231
Homer was the one who kept shouting at the T-shirt shooters to hit him. If not for him, they wouldn't have shot and killed Maude.
>>
>>91731971
>Maggie Roswell left The Simpsons in spring 1999 after a pay dispute with Fox
>It was then announced by Roswell that she had asked for a raise, not only because she was tired of the traveling, but because of the increasing cost of flight tickets.
>Roswell was paid $1,500 to $2,000 per episode during the three seasons before she left, and she asked Fox for a raise to $6,000 per episode. However, Fox only offered her a $150 raise, which did not even cover the travel costs, so she decided to quit.
>Maggie Roswell told The Denver Post that "they offered me a $150 raise. I mean, that's lint in Fox's pocket. But Fox wanted to prove a point, I guess. I was flying myself back and forth from Denver to L.A. It was exhausting. I loved doing the show and they thought that I would come back. But now I'm busy doing other things."
>She further added that "I was part of the backbone of The Simpsons and I don't think the money I asked for was exorbitant. I wasn't asking for what other cast members make. I was just trying to recoup all the costs I had in travel. If they'd flown me in, I'd still be working."
>At that point, the six main cast members of the show were paid $125,000 per episode.
>As a result of Maggie Roswell's departure, the Maude Flanders character was killed off in the episode "Alone Again, Natura-Diddily".
>Voice actress Marcia Mitzman Gaven was hired to fill in for Maggie Roswell's other characters.
>>
>>91731950
The show was having pay drama with her voice actress, that's why they killed Maude.

If you'll notice, for her last few appearances before she got killed off, Maude had a different voice.
>>
>>91732309
And if Nevele McTShirtcannon didn't invent the Tshirtcannon then none of this would have happen. But you see law enforcement doesn't police causality, they police crime.
>>
>>91732309
Judge: You are charged with killing a woman by shooting her with a t-shirt canon and knocking her off a edge of a stadium which caused her to fall to her death. Also the owner of the stadium is being charged with negligence for not having a proper safety rail to prevent this happening, and for allowing the practice of shooting fans with t-shirt canons while they are seated next to a ledge which they could fall from

Person: Yeah but a fat guy was heckling us, isn't it his fault?
>>
>>91732309
is it truly a crime to want a free t-shirt?
>>
>>91732309
That's like saying a hostage killed another hostage because he jumped out of the way of a shooter and the bullet hit someone else.

Homer didn't kill anyone there, Maude was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.
>>
>>91732359
Ah Nevele McTShirtcannon, one of the greatest minds of our generation. Taken too soon from us by their rivalry and subsequent dual to the death with Sir Allister Kerrington the 47th.
>>
>>91732359
>>91732371
>>91732387
>>91732394
Nevertheless, Homer treating Flanders the same way he did before this happened was always weird.
>>
>>91732137

I remember an early Treehouse of Horrors where a pilgrim Maude says she's afraid a witch will curse her to have a high sex drive and Flanders says something like "if only".

His character has changed so much.
>>
>>91732342

They couldn't be bothered to fly the woman in from Denver so they chose to kill her character off instead? That's ridiculously spiteful.
>>
>>91732485
>I remember an early Treehouse of Horrors where a pilgrim Maude says she's afraid a witch will curse her to have a high sex drive and Flanders says something like "if only".
That was post Season 10.
>>
>>91732342
>3 times her usual pay
>nigga what
>>
>>91732485
Last time I regularly watched The Simpsons, Flanders was this spiteful fundamentalist cunt who looked down on everyone who he perceived as sinful or secular. It was weird and unpleasant, even if you explained it away as Ned's long time grief and anger over losing his wife finally breaking apart his outlook on mankind.
>>
>>91732550
That was season 9.
>>
>>91732553
It would still be 6% of what everyone else was getting. I'd say that's pretty modest.
>>
>>91732449
Homer should have felt responsible, but that doesn't make him legally culpable.
>>
>>91732548
It gets worse the more you think about it.

>At the time, Simpsons was THE entertainment empire
>every bit of merchandise was flying off the shelves
>fox is making tons of money off of Simpsons alone
>Not-Main-Cast VA who does most of your female voices is making $37K-$50K a year.
>can't afford to keep flying out to do show, asks for raise
>don't even offer her enough to cover the cost of the tickets

Worst part is the main cast VA's making huge money is the reason the VA profession is completely fucked these days.
>>
The secondary VAs like Tress MacNeille and Russi Taylor get paid a couple thousand bucks per episode, the same rate as guest stars, while the main five VAs get like $375,000 per episode (was $500,000 from Seasons 10 to 16).
>>
>>91732680
They get paid so much because they can't be replaced without a severe, potentially fatal backlash from the audience. The others get paid so little because they can. Simple as that.
>>
>>91732760
And now most companies will do their best to get a new VA for every character on a regular basis to prevent that from ever happening again.
>>
She voiced Maude, Helen Lovejoy, Luanne Van-Houten and Miss Hoover.

Bet if they hadn't already done the Milhouse divorce story they'd have killed off Luanne instead.
>>
>>91732760
Tress MacNeille plays a dozen recurring characters though. She'd be pretty hard to replace.
>>
Aside from Maude's VA quitting, the kill was actually a great idea. Maude as a character did jack shit for the most part. And Ned learning to get over her death and move on made room for a lot of good episodes.
>>
>>91732870
What good episodes? The one where Ned founded a Christian amusement park that gave people brain damage?
>>
>>91732387
To be fair Homer also parked in the ambulance zone preventing any chance of resuscitation
>>
>>91732870
I definitely agree. Her being dead gave both Ned and the kids more purpose in the show, rather than just being some annoying neighbor
>>
>>91732078
God dammit anon.
>>
>>91732837
>most notable characters are Agnes, the fourth bully who nobody knows the name of, and that realtor lady
She could be replaced.
>>
>>91732760
The main VAs in the classic seasons were paid relative to how much work they did. This naturally meant that Dan Castallaneta and Hank Azaria made tons of money while Yeardley Smith and Julie Kavner hardly got paid anything. In Season 10, Fox renegotiated their contracts so everyone got paid a flat $500,000 per episode. This lasted until around Seasons 16-17 when the VAs went on strike to protest proposed pay cuts, since in the mid-2000s, Fox was in severe financial trouble due to some gross mismanagement of Newscorp. In the end, the cast agreed to a salary reduction to $375,000 per episode. During the strike, Fox also threatened to replace them if they didn't accept pay cuts, because "We can find replacements on any college campus in America who'll work for a quarter of your salaries."
>>
>>91732898
That was funny, even if it was weird.

But also, Marge babysitting his kids and helping them be less lame, episodes about Ned and his love interests, Edna getting sweet moments as a step-mother and helping Ned to stop being so overbearing.
>>
>>91732898
Not a terrible episode.
>>
Didn't she come back at some point, or am I thinking of something else?

>>91733080
I recall somebody on /co/ saying that because of the more recent negotiations, they have to give the VAs an equal amount of time of screen presence over a season, which is why there are so many Lisa episodes as her VA only does Lisa's voice.
>>
I seem to recall that Hank Azaria threatened to quit some years ago if he didn't get more stuff to do, which is why they now have like three Moe episodes every season.
>>
>>91731950
OP have you never read the book of Job

>>91732309
But he didn't intend for it to happen and could not have reasonably foreseen it as a consequence of his own actions; it literally required the confluence of:

>poor structural planning on the part of the track owner
>poor control of and understanding of the dangers of the tshirt cannon
>for several of the cannon to be fired at the same target, accurately, at the same moment (see also previous point), in order to move a human body with sufficient force to push it over the rail
>for the target to be standing, not sitting, on or behind the final row of seats in the stand
>for the target to be moving (and therefore unbalanced) when struck
>for Homer to obscure the victim while presenting himself as a far larger, heavier, and stationary target

So he's not legally culpable. There is no way, unless you're the kind of state's rights individual responsibillabong buy silber nutjob that doesn't believe in railings anyway, that Homer or Maude could be held responsible for the accidental death. The cheerleaders would probably get a police investigation for manslaughter, and the stadium owners might get fined, but that's about it.

Now, parking in the ambulance bay like Homer later admitted to? Yeah, that'd lose you your license, but not necessarily result in any kind of action over the consequential death (the ambulance shouldn't have been impeded by Homer's parking - unless he was somehow blocking access to the entire lot behind the stand, which seems unlikely). Beyond that, since she probably died or suffered fatal wounds on impact with the ground, there's not much to argue.
>>
>>91732662
I'm retarded, how did the main voice cast's revenue affect the VA profession?
>>
>>91735518
They started the trend of massively overinflated salaries and VAs becoming a Mafia cartel who could bully networks into giving them anything they want and also exclude new/outside talent who weren't part of their little club.
>>
>>91735637
> a bloo bloo bloo actors shouldn't get paid well

i know, you have a REAL job driving that Zamboni anon
>>
>>91735731
Get off of /mu/, Tara Strong.

And no, Yeardley Smith does not deserve $375,000 per episode to voice one character in her normal speaking voice.
>>
>>91735731
Well, that's part of what killed the Simpsons. Fox paid the main voice cast beaucoup bucks, fired off their award-winning writing staff, and started commissioning episode scripts from amateur freelance writers, paying them WGA minimum wage. Quality of episodes and characterization took a nosedive after that.
>>
File: reaction the image.jpg (57KB, 229x231px) Image search: [Google]
reaction the image.jpg
57KB, 229x231px
>>91732078
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.